Forums

Topic: Super Mario 3D World - OT

Posts 1,401 to 1,409 of 1,409

Octane

Rexcalibr wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

Rexcalibr wrote:

Finally got around to unlocking Rosalina after shelving this game for months and I thought I could start a new game where I actually attempted to get all the green stars and use Rosalina. Turns out you can't and can only use her in the game where you beat it.

Disappointing....

To respond without heavy use of sarcasm, what were you expecting? You unlock her by getting to her. If you haven't gotten to her in the file you're using, what would make you think you could use her? There is no New Game + in Mario. That's not something you're given from the start.

What was I expecting? Well.. I expected her to be unlocked in the game, as in, in the entire game. Not just the saved game I unlocked her in. It kind of defeats the purpose all together. What is the fun of unlocking a character at the very end of the game if you've already done almost everything there is to do? It would have been a much better idea to just let her be unlocked from then on, so you could have some use for her but I guess that's asking too much.

Spoiler, but you're going to get enough use out of her if you want to complete the entire game.

Octane

UGXwolf

Rexcalibr wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

Rexcalibr wrote:

Finally got around to unlocking Rosalina after shelving this game for months and I thought I could start a new game where I actually attempted to get all the green stars and use Rosalina. Turns out you can't and can only use her in the game where you beat it.

Disappointing....

To respond without heavy use of sarcasm, what were you expecting? You unlock her by getting to her. If you haven't gotten to her in the file you're using, what would make you think you could use her? There is no New Game + in Mario. That's not something you're given from the start.

What was I expecting? Well.. I expected her to be unlocked in the game, as in, in the entire game. Not just the saved game I unlocked her in. It kind of defeats the purpose all together. What is the fun of unlocking a character at the very end of the game if you've already done almost everything there is to do? It would have been a much better idea to just let her be unlocked from then on, so you could actually have some use for her but I guess that's asking too much.

Question: What's the difference between playing through the old levels with her in the old game and playing through the old levels with her in the new game? Aside from progress animation? Nothing! She becomes playable somewhere between 2/3 and 3/4 of the way through the complete game, and being that Mario is set up the way it is, you ALWAYS have the option of going back and replaying levels, which is more or less exactly what you say you want to do, minus the starting a new file bit.

Now tell me, let's say you and your brother both have separate save files. You unlocked Rosalina, but he didn't get that far. Why should he be allowed to use her on his file when he's done nothing to warrant it? She's a prize for those willing to continue past the final boss. Not a secret character that you unlock like in Smash.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Haru17

UGXwolf wrote:

Now tell me, let's say you and your brother both have separate save files. You unlocked Rosalina, but he didn't get that far. Why should he be allowed to use her on his file when he's done nothing to warrant it? She's a prize for those willing to continue past the final boss. Not a secret character that you unlock like in Smash.

Incidental character unlocks: truly a tragedy. Geneva code violation, innit?

Don't hate me because I'm bnahabulous.

UGXwolf

Haru17 wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

Incidental character unlocks: truly a tragedy. Geneva code violation, innit?

Ok, since you've decided to be sarcastic about it, think about it from a game design perspective. If you could just play the character on any file after any single person reaches that point, what would be the purpose of having separate files? You can always go back to old levels you haven't beaten yet, but your brother has and nothing's stopping you from playing the game as if you're progressing normally. It makes no sense to have that file delete button if deleting the file only means you have to play through every stage again, when you could have done that entirely on your own.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

jariw

Octane wrote:

Spoiler, but you're going to get enough use out of her if you want to complete the entire game.

This. Really.

jariw

NinChocolate

Decided to jump back into my Peach run save file.

Anyone think this game will get a Switch port? I dearly hope it does. This game needs to be played by more people and multiplayer on the go!

NinChocolate

Shinion

@NinChocolate the Mario game we saw in the Switch trailer looks like it borrows from this game a lot, at least in assets and overall artstyle. The Mario triple jump seems to suggest a return to 64 platforming whilst we got a slight glimpse of Mario running, which of course was very similar to 3D World. As for overall level design? Ain't got a clue, could be open ended, could be linear. Which I for one do not see as a zero sum back/white thing, there are many fantastic linear games just as there are open ended ones, and of course both have stinkers as there are downsides to both unquestionably. I thought 3D World was very fun, so I'd be up for a sequel/remaster, but the '2.5D Crowd' have been unbearable enough even without a sequel to their nightmare game being confirmed so I'm not sure I'm looking forward to that little mess.

3D World itself as the Wii U game ported to the Switch could happen, though the only 4 games the leakers mentioned were the two confirmed (all but) along with Smash bros and Super Mario Maker. The financial briefing today confirmed 3D World as the Wii U's 3rd best selling game though so I wouldn't count it out.

Shinion

mnid007

I think the game is awesome! But, it gets pretty difficult when you have a group of people playing together that cant work together.

Edited on by gcunit

mnid007

gcunit

@mnid007 Welcome to the NL forums, but please don't spam us with your videos. Use your signature to advertise your own stuff if you have to, thanks.

You guys had me at blood and semen.

What better way to celebrate than firing something out of the pipe?

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

My Nintendo: gcunit | Nintendo Network ID: gcunit

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.