Forums

Topic: Super Mario 3D World - OT

Posts 1,381 to 1,400 of 1,409

iKhan

I'll buy this game when they patch it to use controls from the 21st century.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Eel

Pretty sure all the controls that are compatible with this game were produced after the year 2000, so don't worry.

Edited on by Eel

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

iKhan

MorphMarron wrote:

Pretty sure all the controls that are compatible with this game were produced after the year 2000, so don't worry.

The controllers yes, but not the controls. There's a difference. Mario 3D World basically uses the exact same controls Super Mario World did. Things invented after like analog run are MIA.

EDIT: And don't say "if it ain't broke don't fix it". 1. That mantra is completely anti-innovation. 2. It was broken, that's why it was fixed in Super Mario 64

Edited on by iKhan

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Eel

I'm not entirely sure of what's broken about them.

If you mean the "press b to run" thing, I personally prefer to press a button to run than carefully tilting the stick a little bit to walk.

Of course, that could be just me.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Jacob717

iKhan wrote:

The controllers yes, but not the controls. There's a difference. Mario 3D World basically uses the exact same controls Super Mario World did. Things invented after like analog run are MIA.

EDIT: And don't say "if it ain't broke don't fix it". 1. That mantra is completely anti-innovation. 2. It was broken, that's why it was fixed in Super Mario 64

You know you don't even have to use a Pro Controller or GamePad, you can use Wii Mote + Nunchuck, you can have one finger on the run button and your other index finger and your two thumbs are free to do whatever they want.

Edited on by Jacob717

Jacob717

iKhan

Dipper723 wrote:

iKhan wrote:

You know you don't even have to use a Pro Controller or GamePad, you can use Wii Mote + Nunchuck, you can have one finger on the run button and your other index finger and your two thumbs are free to do whatever they want.

I know you don't have to use the Pro Controller or Gamepad. What I'm saying is that they should patch it so that there is an option to use a control scheme not built exclusively for the Wii Remote. DKCTF offers it, why can't Mario?

Octane

inb4 the 8-directional movement complaints!

Edited on by Octane

Octane

jariw

Katherine wrote:

Apologies for the bump, just reviving the 3D world thread again I guess because I enjoy this game. If you've completed this game, try speedrunning it. Same goes with any game really, as long as it has a realistic end goal.

Anyone else speedrun this game?

I did the opposite this Christmas actually. I replayed it with the Gamepad, trying to take my time with the levels, trying to discover as much secret and hidden stuff as possible. There were so much things I missed a year ago, when I only tried to find the stars and stamps. Playing it with the Gamepad really gives more dimensions to this game.

jariw

BenOfHyrule

I'm working on 100%ing it. The only ones left are crown mystery house and champions road with everyone except luigi. Man they never get easier lol.

BenOfHyrule

Katherine

jariw wrote:

Katherine wrote:

Apologies for the bump, just reviving the 3D world thread again I guess because I enjoy this game. If you've completed this game, try speedrunning it. Same goes with any game really, as long as it has a realistic end goal.

I did the opposite this Christmas actually. I replayed it with the Gamepad, trying to take my time with the levels, trying to discover as much secret and hidden stuff as possible. There were so much things I missed a year ago, when I only tried to find the stars and stamps. Playing it with the Gamepad really gives more dimensions to this game.

Yes, the use of touch strats really enhance the game, and for speedruns make it a lot quicker. It's definitely better to play through with the gamepad techniques instead of a pro controller.

Katherine

Twitter:

jariw

Katherine wrote:

jariw wrote:

Katherine wrote:

Yes, the use of touch strats really enhance the game, and for speedruns make it a lot quicker. It's definitely better to play through with the gamepad techniques instead of a pro controller.

Have you tested a speed run on that winter level with all the blowing clouds (Ty-Foo Flurries, level 6-5) with the Gamepad compared to without the Gamepad? I'm kind of curious how much faster using the Gamepad would be on such a stage, or if it's possible to time things exactly with a non-Gamepad approach to get a similar fast run?

jariw

Dezzy

Dipper723 wrote:

Interesting video

Thanks, that is interesting. Although I don't know how much I think it's a good approach. My main criticism of 3D World was that it felt very structured. Galaxy feels a little less structured and is slightly better. And 64 is even less structured and possibly feels the best out of all of them.

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

Bolt_Strike

Dipper723 wrote:

Interesting video

I kind of picked up on this design philosophy already, so that doesn't really surprise me. And actually, it's nothing new, because the Donkey Kong Country games tend to use a similar formula. Take a look at Fire Ball Frenzy in DKC3 (there's probably dozens of other examples, but this is the first one that comes to mind):

The level revolves around those bird enemies that shoot fireballs out of cannons they're holding. They introduce them by having them fairly spread out and not putting any other hazards in the level, then later on they put lava pits at the bottom of the level and even have the birds follow you around a bit. And then even later in the level they mix things up a bit, like having birds that shoot several fireballs before giving you a chance to pass them. So this formula has been around for quite a while actually, it wasn't invented just a few years ago.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

jariw

Dezzy wrote:

Dipper723 wrote:

Interesting video

Thanks, that is interesting. Although I don't know how much I think it's a good approach. My main criticism of 3D World was that it felt very structured. Galaxy feels a little less structured and is slightly better. And 64 is even less structured and possibly feels the best out of all of them.

Motokura's speed runs of the 3D World levels in the recent episodes of the Cat Mario Show show that the level design goes much deeper than the 4-step approach discussed in that video. Those speed runs basically said "or you can skip that level design and also skip most of the obstacles we put in the game and just run directly to the pole". To see those speed runs was a real eye-opener to me. The "spare" power-up, the abilities of the different power-ups, the power-up "shops", the distance between objects, and the very reason for speed runs in 3D World all made very much sense.

Edited on by jariw

jariw

GeneralCookie

does the super mario 3d world red case that has the logo family game of the year is that a sticker? and is it removable?

GeneralCookie

Rexcalibr

Finally got around to unlocking Rosalina after shelving this game for months and I thought I could start a new game where I actually attempted to get all the green stars and use Rosalina. Turns out you can't and can only use her in the game where you beat it.

Disappointing....

Rexcalibr

Octane

Rexcalibr wrote:

Finally got around to unlocking Rosalina after shelving this game for months and I thought I could start a new game where I actually attempted to get all the green stars and use Rosalina. Turns out you can't and can only use her in the game where you beat it.

Disappointing....

I know, right? I had the same problem with Twilight Princess, I got the master sword and I wanted to start the game over and play with the master sword from the beginning. Turns out you can't even do that. Such a bummer...

Octane

UGXwolf

Rexcalibr wrote:

Disappointing....

To respond without heavy use of sarcasm, what were you expecting? You unlock her by getting to her. If you haven't gotten to her in the file you're using, what would make you think you could use her? There is no New Game + in Mario. That's not something you're given from the start.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Rexcalibr

UGXwolf wrote:

Rexcalibr wrote:

Disappointing....

To respond without heavy use of sarcasm, what were you expecting? You unlock her by getting to her. If you haven't gotten to her in the file you're using, what would make you think you could use her? There is no New Game + in Mario. That's not something you're given from the start.

What was I expecting? Well.. I expected her to be unlocked in the game, as in, in the entire game. Not just the saved game I unlocked her in. It kind of defeats the purpose all together. What is the fun of unlocking a character at the very end of the game if you've already done almost everything there is to do? It would have been a much better idea to just let her be unlocked from then on, so you could actually have some use for her but I guess that's asking too much.

Edited on by Rexcalibr

Rexcalibr

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.