Forums

Topic: Super Mario 3D World - OT

Posts 121 to 140 of 1,409

baba_944

I wonder what the print ads will be. I love print ads.

Who are you?

LuigiTheGreenFire

Bulby wrote:

Hopefully this isn't the only 3D Mario we'll get in the Wii U's lifetime. The game looks great, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but after the Galaxy games, it is very underwhelming.

I still think we'll get a Galaxy-esque Mario game, but with this coming out, it won't be for quite a while.

Agreed. Recently, Nintendo seems to care more about money and pleasing the casual gamers than making truly amazing games.

What Would W. Do?

3DS Friend Code: 3609-1033-1732 | Nintendo Network ID: Wman1996

baba_944

[quote=Bulby]

LuigiTheGreenFire wrote:

Hopefully this isn't the only 3D Mario we'll get in the Wii U's lifetime. The game looks great, and I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but after the Galaxy games, it is very underwhelming.

I still think we'll get a Galaxy-esque Mario game, but with this coming out, it won't be for quite a while.

I say 2016 at latest. Galaxy 2 released 3 years after 1.

Who are you?

BFarmer1980

LuigiTheGreenFire wrote:

Bulby wrote:

Agreed. Recently, Nintendo seems to care more about money and pleasing the casual gamers than making truly amazing games.

I don't even know that it's trying to please the casual gamer as much as it is doubling down on the multiplayer landscape. All of these games look good, yeah, but there's really not been much of anything offered to the single-player out there for the Wii U in terms of a new experience. For me, and I feel safe in saying for many others, it's going to take the big, grand, single-player adventure to sell us a console.

That being said, in today's demographic, single-player households without gamer buddies at the ready for multi-player action are most likely in the minority, so it makes sense to address us later down the line from a business standpoint. Doesn't make this any less disappointing, though.

Edited on by BFarmer1980

"Canadian bacon is nothing but stuck-up ham." --My Brother

FalconBlade

I kind of hope we get something more like Mario Sunshine, where it's similar to Mario 64 but with a unique twist ("gimmick" if you feel like being derisive). That said, the team that made 3D World is the same team that made Galaxy 2 and 3D Land (Tokyo Software Dev Group No. 2), so it seems unlikely that they've even started on a new 3D Mario game, unless one of the other main Dev Groups has been working on something in secret.

The 8-Bit Vista, a Pixelated Panorama
Currently playing: Virtue's Last Reward, Breath of Fire
Currently re-playing: Super Mario Galaxy 2, Comix Zone
Just finished: Crusader of Centy, AKA Soleil

dartmonkey

The reason for lukewarm reception boils down to bloated expectations due to the saturation of 'peripheral' Mario games. It's the spectre of Mario 128 that still haunts even now. Up until World, a Mario game was just that: the next installment in the series. Even while he was karting or golfing or whatever, the next 'proper' Mario game was easy to define. The problem arose after Mario 64, specifically at Spaceworld 2000. Mario 128 was little more than a tech exercise to show some ideas and demonstrate the capabilities of new hardware but the name stuck in peoples' minds. Those ideas went into several different games but the name hung around until Galaxy, butstill it feels like it's hanging around. The gut reaction to 3D World is 'oh, it's not a real Mario game - it's a filler one while they're working on the genre-melting proper one.'
Galaxy 1 and 2 were incredible, true evolutions. This will be brilliant too and rationally I know it's legitimately Mario. But the 128 numbered kid part of me is hankering for... something. I have no idea what it would be though, and maybe Nintendo don't either. Holograms? After Galaxy I don't see what you could do without a fundamental change in tech. I thought the second screen would be integral to any new Mario - that was the route to evolution - but I guess we're still waiting for the true second screen killer app.

dartmonkey

Twitter:

NintySince96

PloXyZeRO wrote:

Super Mario 3D Land was the first 3D Mario game I didn't play..because it looked extremely plain and boring
I can say the same about this game...doesn't look like much thought was put into the design. Super Mario Sunshine and the Mario Galaxy games were FULL of personality, with every level having unique designs and ambiance. This game just looks TOO Mario.

This is how I feel. But I've decided there's no use complaining anymore. The single-player gamer just really isn't a priority anymore. As long as Nintendo puts in a gimmick like a cat suit, clear pipes, and mediocre multiplayer they know they will sell games. No matter how generic or uninspired. Majority rules.

I'm thankful for the past 17 years since Mario 64, but I just have to come to terms with the fact that those days are over and this is what we're getting from now on.

NintySince96

rallydefault

NintySince96 wrote:

PloXyZeRO wrote:

Super Mario 3D Land was the first 3D Mario game I didn't play..because it looked extremely plain and boring
I can say the same about this game...doesn't look like much thought was put into the design. Super Mario Sunshine and the Mario Galaxy games were FULL of personality, with every level having unique designs and ambiance. This game just looks TOO Mario.

This is how I feel. But I've decided there's no use complaining anymore. The single-player gamer just really isn't a priority anymore. As long as Nintendo puts in a gimmick like a cat suit, clear pipes, and mediocre multiplayer they know they will sell games. No matter how generic or uninspired. Majority rules.

I'm thankful for the past 17 years since Mario 64, but I just have to come to terms with the fact that those days are over and this is what we're getting from now on.

Give it a shot (3D Land, that is). I despised it at first but ended up loving it.

rallydefault

Popcorn

I will love this no doubt. Cat suit looks amazing and the frog suit is returning as well.

Super Mario 64 was okay to me, but to me it hardly felt a ton like a Mario game. Had like no challenge and platforming. Super Mario Sunshine is honestly one of the worst games I ever played in my honest opinion.

Nintendo Network : Popcorn
3ds FC: 2621-2651-7547
Animal Crossing New Leaf Fruit: Pear

NintySince96

Popcorn wrote:

I will love this no doubt. Cat suit looks amazing and the frog suit is returning as well.

Super Mario 64 was okay to me, but to me it hardly felt a ton like a Mario game. Had like no challenge and platforming. Super Mario Sunshine is honestly one of the worst games I ever played in my honest opinion.

Sunshine was awesome!

NintySince96

Joeynator3000

Went to Best buy to play this game, gonna enjoy the Cat Suit. (also got StreetPass overload on my 3DS, lol)
I wonder if I'm gonna show up in any Youtube videos now...xD (lots of people recording too)
I was playing as Mario, just being a random goofball during the level....it was funny.

Edited on by Joeynator3000

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

NintySince96

rallydefault wrote:

NintySince96 wrote:

PloXyZeRO wrote:

Give it a shot (3D Land, that is). I despised it at first but ended up loving it.

Oh, I'm sure it's a fun little game. I actually love 3D land. But I love it as a handheld game. The main source of disappointment came from the fact that we've become so accustomed to more interesting and detailed worlds with our 3D Mario. This is a solid game I'm sure, but compared to Galaxy or Sunshine, it just seems a little bland. I mean, look at shiverburn galaxy or pinna park, you don't see anything coming close to those two levels in imagination and setting. What about looking out from Sirena beach and seeing the ferris wheel of Pinna Park in the distance in the sunset? I just don't see how anybody can remember those settings and details and still be excited about novelties like a catsuit and clear pipes.

Edited on by NintySince96

NintySince96

CM30

You've seen maybe four levels, and you're using that to judge the entire game. Yeah, real fair thing to say there.

For all we know, many of the later levels and bosses could be extremely interesting. Just like how in Galaxy 1 and 2, many of the better levels and bosses came quite later in the adventure, with the quality of the level design generally getting better as you approached the final boss.

Try out Gaming Reinvented, my new gaming forum and website!
Also, if you're a Wario series fan, check out Wario Forums today! Your only place for Wario series discussion!
My 3DS Friend Code: 4983-5165-4...

Twitter:

NintySince96

CM30 wrote:

You've seen maybe four levels, and you're using that to judge the entire game. Yeah, real fair thing to say there.

For all we know, many of the later levels and bosses could be extremely interesting. Just like how in Galaxy 1 and 2, many of the better levels and bosses came quite later in the adventure, with the quality of the level design generally getting better as you approached the final boss.

Yes, there will be some variation. But, do you honestly expect it to be that totally different? Like I said, it won't be a bad game at all from a technical standpoint. But let's be honest and call it what it is. It's NSMB on a 3D plane or 3D Land on a console. The game isn't going to be bad at all. But it's woefully underachieving for the Wii U hardware.

If other people like it then I'm glad. They're entitled to their opinion. But I'm just saying I'm going to miss the detailed atmospheres of the 3D Mario's before this one.

Edited on by NintySince96

NintySince96

Bronies4ever

I would laugh if Daisy is the one who gets captured

Bronies4ever

GamecubeMan

Emaan wrote:

Dev wrote:

GamecubeLad wrote:

Well at least the music in the trailer; is jazzy.

The theme has been stuck in my head since I've watched the trailer the second time.

Let's hope this game gets a fully original soundtrack.

Dont even get me started on the music....... if anything this title is going to be the NSMB2 of the 3D Marios.

GCN 3.9
Gamecubeloggery
Forget the Nintendo seal of approval
My

3DS Friend Code: 1934-1104-3407 | Twitter:

kkslider5552000

GamecubeLad wrote:

Dont even get me started on the music....... if anything this title is going to be the NSMB2 of the 3D Marios.

this game has original bosses and Peach so it's already better by default. That's not saying much but still...

Super Mario 3D Land's soundtrack was legitimately great so I high expectations in that regard for this game.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

GamecubeMan

Comparing 3D Land soundtrack can make a lot games soundtrack seem legendary. The same song was okay at first. Than I heard it in almost every single level..... ummmm.... that pretty lazy. At least NSMB2's recyled songs werr remixed.
@KKSlider

GCN 3.9
Gamecubeloggery
Forget the Nintendo seal of approval
My

3DS Friend Code: 1934-1104-3407 | Twitter:

kkslider5552000

it could be reused a tad bit too much but otherwise I completely disagree...in this regard at least. The soundtrack really helped elevate this game over the NSMB games because it made it feel more genuine instead of feeling like a game made by the marketing team. This sounded like the type of music Koji Kondo would put in a retro inspired Mario game despite it not actually being him as the composer, which really surprised me.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.