Forums

Topic: Stop attacking Call of Duty, Stop defending Ubisoft.

Posts 41 to 60 of 87

Action51

Glad to see this topic is gathering some interesting perspectives and discussion.

To be clear:
I do not "hate" Ubisoft...hate is a really strong word. I am disappointed and a little bit insulted by Ubisoft, but I don't "hate" them.

As for Activision and Call of Duty: It's not that I love CoD (only ever played one version, and I didn't own it) or Activision, but I do applaud their efforts and professionalism even while they know many of their games aren't making Wii U porting profitable and may have to pull future iterations.

Activision has all the same issues as EA and Ubisoft regarding Nintendo platforms and the Wii U, but without the drama and broken promises.

Action51

sinalefa

SCAR392 wrote:

@sinalefa
Ubisoft is Ubi$oft. All they do is release Assassin's Creed, every f***ing year, and if you don't buy it, you must not like 3rd parties.

All I know is:
Rayman open world game > AC

Another one of my favorite nicknames for Assassin's Creed is Ubisoft's Greed. I know they have other IPs, even some new ones, but having so many AC games in such a short time frame is ridiculous.

I will comment in this thread, never being able to find it again.

kkslider5552000

Hey! I've played every console release of Assassin's Creed so far so I know about it more than most here! And as far as I'm concerned you're....completely right.

Bioshock Infinite Let's Play, please watch and enjoy!:
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

Jazzer94

SCAR392 wrote:

Jazzer94 wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

@sinalefa
Ubisoft is Ubi$oft. All they do is release Assassin's Creed, every f***ing year, and if you don't buy it, you must not like 3rd parties.

All I know is:
Rayman open world game > AC

Well that isn't true at all is it.

Well, people always give Wii U owners crap about not buying 3rd party games that they don't care about. If people aren't buying CoD and AC on Wii U, do you really think those same people are going to care when they stop getting games from those franchises? The answer is no.

I would rather have a new Tony Hawk Pro Skate, Spore/Sims, or 3D Rayman.

Last year we got Cloudberry Kingdom, Rayman Legends, Splinter Cell Blacklist, AC4 and Smurf's 2 (yes I'm listing it) that is hardly just AC is it.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

SCRAPPER392

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Hey! I've played every console release of Assassin's Creed so far so I know about it more than most here! And as far as I'm concerned you're....completely right.

As much as I think AC has shown and improved how big and detailed a game world can be, I was never impressed with the game itself.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

SCRAPPER392

Jazzer94 wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

Jazzer94 wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

@sinalefa
Ubisoft is Ubi$oft. All they do is release Assassin's Creed, every f***ing year, and if you don't buy it, you must not like 3rd parties.

All I know is:
Rayman open world game > AC

Well that isn't true at all is it.

Well, people always give Wii U owners crap about not buying 3rd party games that they don't care about. If people aren't buying CoD and AC on Wii U, do you really think those same people are going to care when they stop getting games from those franchises? The answer is no.

I would rather have a new Tony Hawk Pro Skate, Spore/Sims, or 3D Rayman.

Last year we got Cloudberry Kingdom, Rayman Legends, Splinter Cell Blacklist, AC4 and Smurf's 2 (yes I'm listing it) that is hardly just AC is it.

Ya, and the only ones I can possibly even like are Rayman and Splintercell. They also released Just Dance, like very year, but releasing the same thing every year is boring as hell, and I didn't even like them that much to begin with. Wouldn't you rather get Grandia, a 3D Rayman, RedSteel 3 or anything else?

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

Jazzer94

SCAR392 wrote:

Jazzer94 wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

Jazzer94 wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

@sinalefa
Ubisoft is Ubi$oft. All they do is release Assassin's Creed, every f***ing year, and if you don't buy it, you must not like 3rd parties.

All I know is:
Rayman open world game > AC

Well that isn't true at all is it.

Well, people always give Wii U owners crap about not buying 3rd party games that they don't care about. If people aren't buying CoD and AC on Wii U, do you really think those same people are going to care when they stop getting games from those franchises? The answer is no.

I would rather have a new Tony Hawk Pro Skate, Spore/Sims, or 3D Rayman.

Last year we got Cloudberry Kingdom, Rayman Legends, Splinter Cell Blacklist, AC4 and Smurf's 2 (yes I'm listing it) that is hardly just AC is it.

Ya, and the only ones I can possibly even like are Rayman and Splintercell. They also released Just Dance, like very year, but releasing the same thing every year is boring as hell, and I didn't even like them that much to begin with. Wouldn't you rather get Grandia, a 3D Rayman, RedSteel 3 or anything else?

That's not what were implying though is it.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

SCRAPPER392

@Jazzer94
Well, then what are we supposed to say? If Ubisoft keeps making Just Dance and AC, and Activision keep making CoD and Skylanders, I'm going to keep caring less and less.

If no one buys AC and CoD, they know that people don't want that s***.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

CanisWolfred

Call of Duty doesn't deserve the flak it gets. Ubisoft certainly earns criticism for even bothering with lazy ports on last gen hardware, but if they didn't then their "fans" would rage about not having the games on their consoles. I don't see how either really deserve much more criticism than any other game or company.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6849-7569 | Nintendo Network ID: CanisWolfred

Kevlar44

VincentV wrote:

True. Activision isn't as bad as some say they are. They're okay, and CoD haters can have their opinions. For that matter, I think it's overrated myself, but it's not a bad game. The game works, it's generally well-balanced, etc. Battlefield 4 on the other hand...Anyways, that's what I have to say on CoD. Even if it isn't your thing, it's good for what it is. As for Ubisoft, they aren't as bad as you say they are. Yeah, there's some opinionation, but let's get started. I'm almost certain they would've made a loss on Rayman if it it was Wii U exclusive. However, Microsoft has a rule saying that games cannot come out on other systems first & Xbox later. That's why Metal Gear Solid has the Substance versions. Not that cynicism opens your eyes to that, though it is worth noting they could've done something similar to that, but only by giving Xbox the Wii U exclusive levels. As for Watchdogs, they clearly didn't want to piss their fans off with another delay, so they chose the least popular systems to have unpolished or delayed again: PC & Wii U. Sad, but true. Asking for them to prioritize you is like saying screw over 80% of gamers for the 20% including me. I've seen it. Yeah, Ubisoft was screwy with the PC version of Watchdogs, but some of those gamers were so pretentious and elitist it was obnoxious. Delay it, they hate you. In need of a patch, they still hate you. Cater to them, you just hurt 80% of gamers for 20%. It's a hard truth some refuse to suck up. Sad, but true. Lastly, Ubisoft at least has the decency to support the Wii U. As bad as EA? Yeah right.

After they delayed Watch Dogs, a game i'll probably never play, i pretty much decided i was largely done with Ubisoft. The reason is as an early adopter of the Wii U i was excited for the new Rayman, i really enjoyed Orgins, in fact it was a crucial release to avoid a dry spell given when it was supposed to come out. Because Ubisoft jerked me around i had nothing to play on my Wii U for quite a while, when i had expected i'd have Rayman to keep me busy. Their reasoning for the delay was absurd in light of the Watch Dogs fiasco, as that they delayed it so other platforms could get it at the same time and then did the opposite in regards to Watch Dogs. I know sales wasn't an issue with Watch Dogs, but lying to the consumer is not something i appreciate or think is rational. I was pissed off when the screwed me over with Rayman, and then it felt like they salted the wound with Watch Dogs. If they were worried about sales they could have just released on the PS3 later and still made it a Wii U timed exclusive, especially considering they promised the game to a bunch of consumers as coming out soon.

EA and Ubisoft screwed the Wii U over big time, both promised early support to build their fanbase on the system then both bailed as quickly as possible. We all know console's have limited adopters early on, it's not like these companies bailed on PS3 last gen and i highly doubt they bail on Xbox this gen. I think Action51 has a point at least Activision has delivered on what you'd expect from them and on what they've promised.

Action51 wrote:

  • The problem is not porting to other consoles in the case of Rayman, the problem was going so close to release date...then not releasing a finished game so they could release in multiplatform months later.

Another problem is that pretty early on, Ubisoft just stopped releasing DLC and putting much effort into ports. People got the impression it was "safer" to buy those on their PS3 or Xbox360...or not even take a look at the Wii U version at all, since that is where the fanbase of these games are, and Ubisoft was just expecting to magically covert them to a new platform with incomplete and poorly optimized ports.

Also, Zombi U just didn't look much like a "next gen" game and it reviewed pretty poorly. Sorry if people didn't rush out to buy a mediocre looking game with poor review scores.

The first two paragraphs are pretty much the reason i won't likely buy from Ubisoft anymore, and why i don't get how they receive sympathy on here. I've also never understood the ZombiU love on here, why would anybody buy a game that reviewed so poorly and seemed from what i recall to be a rather shallow package. Especially given the fact it's not a typical Nintendo game, that's the kind of franchise that needs time to grow and has to review well in order to make an impact. If you're a publisher/developer and you release a game that reviews poorly don't expect good sales and don't blame anyone but yourself.

Kevlar44

jariw

Kevlar44 wrote:

The reason is as an early adopter of the Wii U i was excited for the new Rayman, i really enjoyed Orgins, in fact it was a crucial release to avoid a dry spell given when it was supposed to come out. Because Ubisoft jerked me around i had nothing to play on my Wii U for quite a while, when i had expected i'd have Rayman to keep me busy. Their reasoning for the delay was absurd in light of the Watch Dogs fiasco, as that they delayed it so other platforms could get it at the same time and then did the opposite in regards to Watch Dogs.

My reasons for initially getting a Wii U were very similar to what you described, but Lego City: Undercover was also a reason for me. How Ubisoft handled Rayman Legends made no sense to me. The only explanation I've seen that made some kind of sense to me is that the other hardware platforms supposedly have some rules for their eShops, that they can refuse to put a title on the eShop if the version is released later than any other platform. I don't know if this true, though.

And releasing the Wii U demo and "preview" games for Rayman Legends was not a good decision for me as a customer. By the time the real Rayman Legends arrived, I almost felt that I already had played it. But that's all history now.

Having said that, I would have no problem to buy a game from any company (for any platform) if the game and the gameplay is good enough and if the gameplay is bug free.

jariw

Dreamz

Kevlar44 wrote:

The first two paragraphs are pretty much the reason i won't likely buy from Ubisoft anymore, and why i don't get how they receive sympathy on here. I've also never understood the ZombiU love on here, why would anybody buy a game that reviewed so poorly and seemed from what i recall to be a rather shallow package. Especially given the fact it's not a typical Nintendo game, that's the kind of franchise that needs time to grow and has to review well in order to make an impact. If you're a publisher/developer and you release a game that reviews poorly don't expect good sales and don't blame anyone but yourself.

Well, for me, it was primarily because I thoroughly enjoyed the demo I tried for the game. Also, the only really negative review for ZombiU came from Gamespot, who has less credibility these days than American politicians. And even with the atrocious Gamespot review, it still rates a 77 on Metacritic, which is quite good.

My 3rd Party Games List: Click here
U-Wishlist: Splatoon, Zelda U

8BitSamurai

Action51 wrote:

"As for Watchdogs, they clearly didn't want to piss their fans off with another delay, so they chose the least popular systems to have unpolished or delayed again: PC & Wii U. Sad, but true. Asking for them to prioritize you is like saying screw over 80% of gamers for the 20% including me. "

Whhaaaaat? When did I ask for anyone to "prioritize" me? I'm a PC owner too and yeah...not happy about Ubisoft's treatment of PC users lately either.

  • What is this 80%-20% ratio you keep brining up, I'm sorry but I don't follow that at all. Please explain that.

In the case of Wii U, the ratio should be far more lopsided.

Action51 wrote:

  • The problem is not porting to other consoles in the case of Rayman, the problem was going so close to release date...then not releasing a finished game so they could release in multiplatform months later.


MS does not like games being released on the other systems first. Blame them, not Ubi. The bottom line is that they had to make it multi-plat because it just would not have even broken even as a Wii U exclusive (See: ZombiU). They still gave Wii U owners the best version of the game, and the Challenges app for free.

Action51 wrote:

Another problem is that pretty early on, Ubisoft just stopped releasing DLC and putting much effort into ports. People got the impression it was "safer" to buy those on their PS3 or Xbox360...or not even take a look at the Wii U version at all, since that is where the fanbase of these games are, and Ubisoft was just expecting to magically covert them to a new platform with incomplete and poorly optimized ports.

3rd parties already tried for years to bring quality ports to Nintendo systems, it was called the GameCube. It didn't work, and almost every best seller on that system was a Nintendo published game.

Action51 wrote:

Also, Zombi U just didn't look much like a "next gen" game and it reviewed pretty poorly. Sorry if people didn't rush out to buy a mediocre looking game with poor review scores.

It didn't look like much of a "next gen" game because it was a Wii U launch title. How does a Metacritic 77 qualify as mediocre, let alone poor?

I find the Ubisoft bashing on these boards pretty sad. Meanwhile, Activision provides the Wii U with licensed games, token Call of Duty support, obscenely overpriced Angry Birds, and token Skylanders support. As a Wii U owner, I'm just glad that Ubisoft gave the system a fair chance. Not perfect, but certainly better than most 3rd parties (See: EA).

Currently retired indefinitely
Official "rare download" Assistant
Best YT show here!
Beat: Fi...

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai | Twitter:

Taffy

I'm disappointed that none of the western 3rd parties are supporting the best selling console of last year... the 3DS!

Nintendo Network ID: sgt.taffy
Currently playing - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

SCRAPPER392

@8BitSamarai
The reason why 3rd party games didn't sell as well on GCN, was because there just wasn't as many people that had the console as PS2. While I agree that ZombiU could have sold better, they completely screwed their budget by trying to figure out what game they were going to make. We don't know exactly how that effected them, but switching from Killer Freaks from Outer Space to ZombiU probably wasted at least a $2 million, considering they were working on both for a bit of time.
Rayman Legends sold more on Wii U, despite having like 35 times less consoles than Xbox 360 and PS3, combined. That isn't stupid or irrelevant.

ZombiU and Rayman are the games that sold the most, so all that tells me, is that Ubisoft needs to make the games that they would usually put only on Wii U, multiplatform.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

Kevlar44

Dreamz wrote:

Well, for me, it was primarily because I thoroughly enjoyed the demo I tried for the game. Also, the only really negative review for ZombiU came from Gamespot, who has less credibility these days than American politicians. And even with the atrocious Gamespot review, it still rates a 77 on Metacritic, which is quite good.

IGN, Gametrailers and many other reputable sites had it in the 60's. I don't think reviews are everything but clearly they weren't as stellar as you think. What i mean also when i say by "the love on here" is some people actually blame Nintendo fans for not buying it, when it came across as mediocre. Also tell me WTF they shouldn't be able to eat a loss every once in a while when they've made buckets of money on Nintendo consoles. They said they wanted to be THE 3rd party developer on the Wii U then gave it a half assed attempt and quit after a small amount of hardship.

The problem many 3rd parties have is they come across as mediocre on Nintendo consoles because the 1st party content is so good, they need to make better games. Ubisoft IMO rarely makes top notch games, more like competent games, and avoiding them unless a game is too good to pass up won't affect my gaming too much anyways. Nintendo always ends up back on top and people like me aren't going to give them the benefit of the doubt when they try to get back on the Nintendo money train.

Edited on by Kevlar44

Kevlar44

SCRAPPER392

I bought ZombiU before there were even any reviews, and I'd agree with the 6-7/10 range. I just think 1st party developers are releasing better games. I'd rather play any of Nintendo, Microsoft, or Sony's games over anything 3rd parties are putting out. Arkham Knight, Witcher 3, and maybe Destiny might change that, but as of now, I truly think whatever 1st party games are out are the better games. The 1st party games are entirely focused on 8th gen, while 3rd parties are still trying to transition from last to current gen, so quality suffers.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

sinalefa

Kevlar44 wrote:

The problem many 3rd parties have is they come across as mediocre on Nintendo consoles because the 1st party content is so good, they need to make better games.

I feel that explains Guillemot's comments that Nintendo should cut costs on Wii U for Ubisoft to get better sales. Because if Nintendo decides instead to release great games (what all game developers should strive for) to improve the console's reputation and value (and that is exactly what they are doing), then it would undermine Ubisoft's efforts by way of competition. Wasn't Rayman the only Ubi game that was deemed as the best version when compared to its PS360 counterparts?

Edited on by sinalefa

I will comment in this thread, never being able to find it again.

Gamecubed

Yes, stop attacking Call of Duty and stop defending Ubisoft. While you're at it....

Untitled

At least Activision is adding to the Wii U's library. I told my friend that you can play Mario Kart 8 and Call of Duty Ghosts on the same system and he didn't believe me. Why Nintendo isn't marketing that is beyond me.
Then you have Ubisoft holding off on releasing Watch Dogs on Wii U, and I guarantee when they finally release that in November(?) they'll wonder why it didn't sell well. Gee... I wonder why? Is it because the game will no longer be relevant by that time because it came out in May on everything else and now you're releasing it when all the Wii U owners are more focused in Smash Bros?

Gamecubed

8BitSamurai

Gamecubed wrote:

Then you have Ubisoft holding off on releasing Watch Dogs on Wii U, and I guarantee when they finally release that in November(?) they'll wonder why it didn't sell well. Gee... I wonder why? Is it because the game will no longer be relevant by that time because it came out in May on everything else and now you're releasing it when all the Wii U owners are more focused in Smash Bros?

Pretty sure the reason for the delays are because a smaller studio is handling the port. Considering no other AAA publisher would consider porting the game to a Nintendo system, let alone the Wii U, I'm okay with it.

Currently retired indefinitely
Official "rare download" Assistant
Best YT show here!
Beat: Fi...

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai | Twitter:

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic