Forums

Topic: Star Fox Zero - OT

Posts 721 to 740 of 1,588

hirobo2

As someone who skipped out entirely on SF64, I can't say I'm not pleased. Sure, I would want a StarFox Adventures-style game when the NX comes out. But if I ever get around to playing SFZ, it will be like my first experience with the "new SF64". Sure, I can understand some of the grievances of the SF64 veterans. But, it seems like Nintendo is trying to build a new fan base with this title, rather than appease the old...

hirobo2

Souldin

So... according to a recent rumour from a Danish retailer listing, Star Fox Zero might be coming out on the 26th February. Personally I think that's a bit too soon, though it would be pretty cool having the new Star Fox game coming out on my Birthday.

As for recent topics of discussion that have been occurring here... I really did enjoy Wonderful 101, but I do admit that keeping track of things was a challenge. I would blame that more so on poor camera angles than the amount of things happening at once, but I can understand how some may find the latter to be more of a key issue; Star Fox Zero being more toned down than a usual Platinum Games action title might not be a bad thing. Y'know, so long as they don't tone it down too much.

As for it being an on-rails shooter styled game... I thought that was what people wanted out of a Star Fox game. I'm not a big Star Fox fan; my interest in this latest game is based primarily on the Wii U gamepad usage, but I thought the complaints regarding the post-Star Fox 64 games were how they diverged from the Star Fox formula. Well, I know that to certainly be the case with Star Fox Adventures. I for one do enjoy on-rails shooters; the Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker mine-cart levels having made me particularly keen on playing one on the Wii U, so Star Fox Zero primarily having a on-rails shooter style of gameplay is fitting for my tastes.

I'm Souldin, older brother of the Grin Brothers YouTube channel, and writer over on DeviantART.

3DS Friend Code: 4854-6557-6769 | Nintendo Network ID: Souldin | Twitter:

Octane

Blast wrote:

Octane wrote:

Blast: hirobo2: There's a lot going on on screen in Xenoblade X, which isn't always the case in Star Fox Zero, and sure, the world is bigger than anything in Star Fox Zero. But visually? Star Fox Zero can use some polish, but so could Xenoblade X. Gameplay-wise the game is probably going to be great, but I'm absolutely not impressed by its visuals. Characters look terrible, like they did in the original, and in motion, the animations look off as well.

rolls eyes I never complain about graphics in a JRPG.

I'm sorry you're biased. This is not going to work if you want to compare Star Fox Zero's graphics with a JRPG, a game that you know beforehand you will not complain about because it's a JRPG.

@cookiex: I agree. I'm impressed with the Titania level, that looks amazing. Space levels look fine as well. I still think that the Corneria level was a bit lacking. I understand that the gameplay is holding the level back from featuring a very realistic world, but I still think that a few more trees and bushes here and there wouldn't hurt the level. Some crates or smaller objects near the buildings would be welcome as well. Apart from the buildings and enemies, it just looks a bit empty... Anyway, who knows what they've done in the last couple of months, can't wait until the game comes out though.

Octane

Dezzy

Octane wrote:

Blast: hirobo2: There's a lot going on on screen in Xenoblade X, which isn't always the case in Star Fox Zero, and sure, the world is bigger than anything in Star Fox Zero. But visually? Star Fox Zero can use some polish, but so could Xenoblade X. Gameplay-wise the game is probably going to be great, but I'm absolutely not impressed by its visuals. Characters look terrible, like they did in the original, and in motion, the animations look off as well.

What madness is this? Xenoblade is one of the best looking games on the system.

Look at this. It's nearly as attractive as your mum:

Untitled

It's dangerous to go alone! Stay at home.

GrailUK

That Titania level looks better than that Transformers game they did!!

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

Blast

@Octane: I'm not biased against JRPGS. I just don't apply the "it should look way better than this!" argument to them. I'm much more strict on JRPGS concerning story and character development and gameplay BECAUSE I love JRPGS so much.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

Blast

hirobo2 wrote:

As someone who skipped out entirely on SF64, I can't say I'm not pleased. Sure, I would want a StarFox Adventures-style game when the NX comes out. But if I ever get around to playing SFZ, it will be like my first experience with the "new SF64". Sure, I can understand some of the grievances of the SF64 veterans. But, it seems like Nintendo is trying to build a new fan base with this title, rather than appease the old...

Building a new fan base with a OLD story? No, no... Don't give Shigeru Miyamoto's borderline awful storytelling skills any credit for THIS game. The guy focuses on gameplay so much that he never gives too much attention to story. I got some news for you, too. I bet most of the guys who will be getting Star Fox: Zero... will be the same guys who were Star Fox fans from the beginning. Some new fans might join but it will be mostly fans from the old days.

Master of the Hype Train

GrailUK

@Blast: I am not sure. There is always room for an Afterburner style game in any gen

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

hirobo2

Blast wrote:

hirobo2 wrote:

Building a new fan base with a OLD story? No, no... Don't give Shigeru Miyamoto's borderline awful storytelling skills any credit for THIS game. The guy focuses on gameplay so much that he never gives too much attention to story. I got some news for you, too. I bet most of the guys who will be getting Star Fox: Zero... will be the same guys who were Star Fox fans from the beginning. Some new fans might join but it will be mostly fans from the old days.

Depends on what you mean by "the beginning". If you're talking about fans of the original SNES game, then yes SF64/SFZ is/are a completely different beast from SF SNES. Hence, this crowd would enjoy SFZ immensely.

But, if your "begiining" meant SF64, which most ppl take to mean the classic game they played in their childhood, then it's a different story. All I keep hearing from this crowd is how SFZ is the same game they've played for over a decade and getting stale each passing day. And how it's completely pointless when there is already a similar game released on the 3DS! In short, this crowd wants an Adventure-style game. If they wanted another on-rails shooter, they could have gone out and gotten SF64 3D right now!

But we have to remember, SF64 fans currently outnumber SF SNES fans. It just doesn't make financial sense to try an woo (did I spell this right) the minority crowd. So it must be that they are after the new comers!

Edited on by hirobo2

hirobo2

Octane

hirobo2 wrote:

In short, this crowd wants an Adventure-style game.

I don't think anyone wants that. Even if you think you do, trust me, you really don't want another Adventures game.

Octane

hirobo2

Octane wrote:

hirobo2 wrote:

I don't think anyone wants that. Even if you think you do, trust me, you really don't want another Adventures game.

I don't think so. After I saw what they did to XCX, I keep on seeing Fox and crew instead of human survivors traversing that distant planet with those same skels they created.

hirobo2

Megas75

The problem I'm having with this game is that the more I think about it, the more I feel it comes off as a glorified remake of Starfox 64, which looks worse when you remember that they already remade the damned game on the 3DS. And it doesn't help that they keep avoiding calling it a reboot or a remake, and are instead saying "retelling" or some bull like that.

I know story isn't exactly a high point for this series, but I didn't wait nearly a decade just to get what are essentially a remastered port and a glorified remake. Honestly I would have rather had another Starfox Command that left off from one of those abysmal endings than Starfox 64 for the umpteenth time. I love SF64, but I don't want to support the series if all I'm gonna get is SF64 literally over and over again

Octane wrote:

hirobo2 wrote:

I don't think he's saying people want another Adventures per se(though there's some ideas I wouldn't mind seeing from that game), but there's a ton they could do with the Starfox universe that I would love to see them branch out more often and explore it

Edited on by Megas75

Steam/NNID/Xbox Gamertag - Megas75

Blast

Megas75 wrote:

The problem I'm having with this game is that the more I think about it, the more I feel it comes off as a glorified remake of Starfox 64, which looks worse when you remember that they already remade the damned game on the 3DS. And it doesn't help that they keep avoiding calling it a reboot or a remake, and are instead saying "retelling" or some bull like that.

I know story isn't exactly a high point for this series, but I didn't wait nearly a decade just to get two remakes- erm, "retellings" of a remake. Honestly I would have rather had another Starfox Command that left off from one of those abysmal endings than Starfox 64 for the umpteenth time. I love SF64, but I don't want to support the series if all I'm gonna get is SF64 literally over and over again

Octane wrote:

hirobo2 wrote:

I don't think he's saying people want another Adventures per se(though there's some ideas I wouldn't mind seeing from that game), but there's a ton they could do with the Starfox universe that I would love to see them branch out more often and explore it

@Megas75 Agreed with everything you said.

Master of the Hype Train

DefHalan

One big problem/benefit to the Star Fox series is that the gameplay hasn't stayed consistent. People that have played Star Fox may be expecting different gameplay based on which game in the series they have the most experience with. The little bit that I got to play of Star Fox Zero at E3 made it feel like a mix between 64 and Assault styles of Gameplay. Star Fox is an action game but that doesn't mean it should be similar to Bayonetta or Wonderful 101. Skill in Star Fox 64 wasn't about shooting down the most enemies, it was about hitting the most enemies. You got more points if you were able to get several enemies in one charge shot. Playing and watching others play the E3 demo, I could tell people didn't understand that. They played it more like a shooting gallery where the game should be played using charge shots as often as possible. The biggest flaw I have seen with SFZ is the levels don't have enough life in them. There doesn't need to be more enemies, just more going on. The player's eye isn't drawn to particular places enough to stay entertained. Gameplay is solid.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Blast

Whitewatermoose wrote:

So, Star Fox's teaser site seems to indicate possible multiplayer. It says for 1-2 players, and Additional accessories required for multiplayer, Broadband internet support support required to for online features.

http://starfoxzero.nintendo.com/

Hopefully this is the case.

Hopefully because intense online dogfights would save this game.

Master of the Hype Train

DefHalan

Whitewatermoose wrote:

So, Star Fox's teaser site seems to indicate possible multiplayer. It says for 1-2 players, and Additional accessories required for multiplayer, Broadband internet support support required to for online features.

I don't think it is referencing online multiplayer, but hopefully there will be.

veeflames

Blast wrote:

Whitewatermoose wrote:

8/16-player dogfights would be so awesome. And chaotic to the point of frustration.

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

DefHalan

VeeFlamesNL wrote:

Blast wrote:

Whitewatermoose wrote:

8/16-player dogfights would be so awesome. And chaotic to the point of frustration.

I would want 4-8 with maybe some team battles. 2vs2, 3 vs 3, 4 vs 4.

Blast

Whitewatermoose wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

VeeFlamesNL wrote:

Blast wrote:

Whitewatermoose wrote:

I would want 4-8 with maybe some team battles. 2vs2, 3 vs 3, 4 vs 4.

I agree that smaller, more organized online would be better if it exist. I think 2 vs 2 online, if both players can be on the same Wii U would be something awesome. If that is not an available option, then 3 vs 3 would be a great feature.

I also think they should have 1v1 local multiplayer as a must.

Nintendo needs to do this before this game gets destoryed in reviews and by fans.

Master of the Hype Train

Araquanid

Personally I lag like crazy in splatoon (yet nothing else, even my xbox is really smooth).

4v4 would be pushing it considering starfox is more projectile light generating than splatoon. Not saying it wouldn't work, just saying it could be as bad as smash 3D for fun mode..

I'd really look foward to multiplayer though.

Edited on by Araquanid

3DS FC: 0774-5098-1425
Pokemon Sun IGN: Joe
My Shinies
(User name changed in November 2016, MegaBeedrill)

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.