Forums

Topic: Star Fox Zero - OT

Posts 321 to 340 of 1,588

Retro_on_theGo

KryptoKrunch wrote:

Weird how we get the Star Fox that everyone wanted(a SF game more similar to 64 with no/minimal ground missions) and people still find way to bash it. Oh well, I thought it looked really fun. The Arwing transformation into a AT-AT type ship from Star Wars was really cool.

People just wanted Star Fox to get away from the land based levels and other stuff that slowed down the combat. Gameplay similar to 64. Not a glorified remake of 64. We already got that on the 3DS!

We haven't even seen much of the game yet though, despite knowing about it for a year now, so it's too soon to judge but the demo was really playing it safe.

Socar

The footage from Gamexplain seems to be better looking than the one shown.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

GrailUK

I am so hyped for this game. Platinum games have made a Star Fox game that hasn't left me thinking "Aww maaan, why have they had to change such and such." People can complain about the graphics but I think everything about them are instantly recognisable. Nothing about the game has me worried.
Its Star Fox. It's exactly what the doctor ordered tbh. (Oh and the boss battles look like they will play brilliantly.) If you are disappointed by this game, then look in the mirror. You might not be the fan you thought you were.

I never drive faster than I can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes.

Switch FC: SW-0287-5760-4611

cookiex

Artwark wrote:

It does kinda seem like the show floor build is more polished than what was shown in the Digital Event.

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

CanisWolfred

The graphics looked fine to me. And yeah, I saw some footage on Gamexplain. I normally avoid that chaneel, but it turned out to be the best video I could find at the time. Definitely looks like the new Star Fox game I wanted...though tbh, Star Fox 2 was even more the Star Fox I wanted...have we seen how the mission select screen looks yet?

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Arcadtic

I hope someone calls Fox a "cocky little freak" at some point in the game.

If you think life is hard, Try doing a barrel roll as D.Mariner in Wave Race 64. :P

jasonbrr

cookiex wrote:

Artwark wrote:

It does kinda seem like the show floor build is more polished than what was shown in the Digital Event.

It does seem to look better in this video than others Ive seen. Its still nothing mind blowing especially since theres very little going on. But it does seem to have better textures than other videos of the game Ive seen.

jasonbrr

Octane

I have to agree as well, the footage from GameXplain looks a lot better than the actual trailer.

Octane

hirobo2

That's gotta be the best Arwing model I've ever seen. Prior to Zero, I would consider the SNES arwing to be the gold standard. The 64 version looks so ugly and bulky and "primitive". This one is nicely painted at the the tips. The cockpit windows are no longer flat rectangles joined together, but shaped like the side of a mineral crystal or diamond. Best of all the wings design make them more believable when locking in all-range mode, unlike the 64 version, which was just some rectangles sliding past each other with embarassingly pointy edges sticking out at the joints.

Now, if only I can say the same for the small enemy ship designs. They look like crud compared the the 64 3D version for the 3DS.

Edited on by hirobo2

hirobo2

kkslider5552000

Ok, after looking at some footage of Star Fox Assault again, anyone who thinks this isn't a massive improvement is nuts.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Socar

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Ok, after looking at some footage of Star Fox Assault again, anyone who thinks this isn't a massive improvement is nuts.

I know right? Its like they have to have something to complain about. And this isn't even close to Wii Graphics.

The only thing that stopped me a bit was that its not as crisp as 3D World or MK8 because after seeing that, i just got used to seeing that kind of stuff you know.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

Blast

Star Fox Zero would be very hype if Nintendo had let Platinum Games make Star Fox the same way they did that secret egg in Bayonetta 2. It also doesn't help that there isn't online multiplayer which is just a shame. It also doesn't help that the story doesn't even look exciting. Shigeru Miyamoto is great but c'mon... let someone actually create a compelling story. But I'm still gonna support this game regardless.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

kkslider5552000

I actually disagree. Unless Wonderful 101 isn't a fluke, Platinum need to stay far away from any storytelling ever. Minimal storytelling >>>>>>>>>>> basically any storytelling in Bayonetta or especially Vanquish (though Bayonetta at least has some good comedy and characterization at points).

If anything, bringing up Platinum does everything to justify Miyamoto's approach. They are great game designers, let them be that. A Miyamoto minimalist gameplay gamey game is exactly what Platinum is made for.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Blast

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I actually disagree. Unless Wonderful 101 isn't a fluke, Platinum need to stay far away from any storytelling ever. Minimal storytelling >>>>>>>>>>> basically any storytelling in Bayonetta or especially Vanquish (though Bayonetta at least has some good comedy and characterization at points).

If anything, bringing up Platinum does everything to justify Miyamoto's approach. They are great game designers, let them be that. A Miyamoto minimalist gameplay gamey game is exactly what Platinum is made for.

But the story in Star Fox Zero looks boring! Not even exciting! Look at Bayonetta 2's story. It was wild, action packed and enduring. It wasn't amazing but it totally wasn't garbage. I bet if Platinum Games was handling the story then it would be adrenaline pumping and intense drama going on. Maybe Fox would get angry and leave the crew because people think he's a traitor or something. Just ANYTHING is better than Star Fox Zero's story! Star Fox DESERVES an actually compelling story with top notch gameplay!

Master of the Hype Train

Araquanid

Lmao, why are we even judging the game's story when we barely even have an idea what it's about? It's like reading 2 pages of a 12 chapter book and saying it's bad.

The only thing I hope is that miyamoto meant something different when he said the game would take as long as watching a movie.. a 2.5 hour experience would be pretty lame... sure there may be replay value, but what replay value exactly when I can make a total of 3 replays, withen the time one game took to complete? If I wanted that kind of game, I'd just play the first quarter of pikmin 3, and reset the file to play the first quarter again.

Edited on by Araquanid

3DS FC: 0774-5098-1425
Pokemon Sun IGN: Joe
My Shinies
(User name changed in November 2016, MegaBeedrill)

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

hirobo2

After multiple viewings of the E3 trailer, I'm beginning to understand SF0 a little more. Apparently something seemed off to me. That something was they designed this game the way they designed Super Mario World, ie. mainly targetting elementary children. Even the texture/lighting of the arwing had this plastic toy model look like it was a marketing gimmick geared towards selling Arwing figurines or Amiibos. SF0 could have been so much more if they had allowed Pt games to show their full creativity instead of restricting the game contents/design to a younger audience.

I can't call this a real StarFox game. The last real one I played was on the SNES for teens/young adults! Then they started going after little kids starting with the N64 version.

Btw, the original SNES version was essentially a "forward scrolling" version of your vertical scrolling shooter (Space Megaforce, Tyrian, etc.), which is why it was so fun. When they changed the formula starting with SF64 where you can turn around in an enclosed space at the end of level fighting the boss, the game became less fun. Imagine if you could do a 360 during a Tyrian or Space Megaforce boss battle, that would have screwed with the game's formula.

What they should have done is to create a 3D version of something like this serious top-down scroller, not a game for little kids:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpOr5VZQTSk

Then, it would have been a worthy successor to the original StarFox on the SNES!

Edited on by hirobo2

hirobo2

Blast

MegaBeedrill wrote:

Lmao, why are we even judging the game's story when we barely even have an idea what it's about? It's like reading 2 pages of a 12 chapter book and saying it's bad.

The only thing I hope is that miyamoto meant something different when he said the game would take as long as watching a movie.. a 2.5 hour experience would be pretty lame... sure there may be replay value, but what replay value exactly when I can make a total of 3 replays, withen the time one game took to complete? If I wanted that kind of game, I'd just play the first quarter of pikmin 3, and reset the file to play the first quarter again.

I'm worried about the story because of what Shigeru Miyamoto said. Star Fox Zero isn't continuing the story but isn't a remake either. It's a wannabe restart. I want this series to actually grow... too much potential.

Master of the Hype Train

Araquanid

Starfox never really had a story up until adventures where krystal was introduced, and then command when the endings split up. Starfox was usually just a front view galaga-like stage shooter rather than a story, and a few games which mixed up the formula a lot, (adventures and assualt, the former recieving mediocre critical feeback).

I mean there's a story in it, just it never was heavily focused.

Edited on by Araquanid

3DS FC: 0774-5098-1425
Pokemon Sun IGN: Joe
My Shinies
(User name changed in November 2016, MegaBeedrill)

3DS Friend Code: 0774-5098-1425 | Nintendo Network ID: FreakyMantis17 | Twitter:

CanisWolfred

I think Star Fox always had a decent story to it. It wasn't ground-breaking, but they always knew what to tell and what to leave implied. It doesn't have to be the focus, but I'd like for some effort to go into the story. At least the lore and maybe some new characters. Miyamoto's games have generally been good with subtlety, too, so there's that.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.