Forums

Topic: Splatoon - OT

Posts 921 to 940 of 14,636

Zerodactyl

jariw wrote:

Dezzy wrote:

iKhan wrote:

So Gamexplain told me that Splatoon won't support Wiimote+Nunchuck. It's really sad honestly, that's my preferred way of playing most games.

I never saw that being used very well for a shooter (in particular one where you have to move the camera so RE4 doesn't count) I've heard people say otherwise though.

The nunchuck+wiimote has too few buttons and sticks to fully support the Splatoon control scheme.

But if we ignore this, can the wiimote accurately aim in angles that aren't pointing directly towards the screen? From the video footage I've seen of Splatoon, the Gamepad aiming seems similar to the Wii Fit U Hosedown game? And if so, I would imagine an important technique in Splatoon would be to aim slightly upwards to let the paint drop down on areas that are out of reach from the shooting position.

When playing Metroid Blast on Nintendo Land, I thought the Wiimote and Nunchuck were quite good to control your character, and I was able to beat most of my friends.

SUBSCRIBE to my GAMING YOUTUBE CHANNEL: www.youtube.com/channel/UCqGc24cyhnXLO3EZ3yPXEzQ

My Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Funny Moments Montage: https://youtube.com/watch?v=8jCaVRifWcQ

3DS Friend Code: 1161-0648-3584 | Nintendo Network ID: Zerodactyl | Twitter:

Inkling

Wait, so to play Battle Dojo with a friend, I need a Pro Controller?

I will update this when Half Life 3 arrives. [Started 17/11/2015]

3DS Friend Code: 4768-7429-4970

Zerodactyl

Inkling wrote:

“What we can tell you about the one-on-one, at least, is that one player will be using the GamePad, one player will be using the Pro Controller." http://gamerant.com/splatoon-single-player-splitscreen-multip...

SUBSCRIBE to my GAMING YOUTUBE CHANNEL: www.youtube.com/channel/UCqGc24cyhnXLO3EZ3yPXEzQ

My Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Funny Moments Montage: https://youtube.com/watch?v=8jCaVRifWcQ

3DS Friend Code: 1161-0648-3584 | Nintendo Network ID: Zerodactyl | Twitter:

Octane

jariw wrote:

The nunchuck+wiimote has too few buttons and sticks to fully support the Splatoon control scheme.

But if we ignore this, can the wiimote accurately aim in angles that aren't pointing directly towards the screen? From the video footage I've seen of Splatoon, the Gamepad aiming seems similar to the Wii Fit U Hosedown game? And if so, I would imagine an important technique in Splatoon would be to aim slightly upwards to let the paint drop down on areas that are out of reach from the shooting position.

The Wii Remote Plus can do that.. Although it's quite wonky, I'd prefer the GamePad's gyro controls over the Wii Remote Plus' controls.

Edited on by Octane

Octane

iKhan

jariw wrote:

Dezzy wrote:

iKhan wrote:

So Gamexplain told me that Splatoon won't support Wiimote+Nunchuck. It's really sad honestly, that's my preferred way of playing most games.

I never saw that being used very well for a shooter (in particular one where you have to move the camera so RE4 doesn't count) I've heard people say otherwise though.

How so? The game supports motion control aiming, so it should be fine with the Wii Remote+ Nunchuck. Honestly, I'm not a fan of right stick controls. As someone who has mostly played Nintendo games, games tend to have cameras good enough that free camera control is pretty pointless.

The Wii Remote+ can aim in angles not pointing directly at the screen. Not the standard Wiimote though.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Inkling

Zerodactyl wrote:

Inkling wrote:

“What we can tell you about the one-on-one, at least, is that one player will be using the GamePad, one player will be using the Pro Controller." http://gamerant.com/splatoon-single-player-splitscreen-multip...

Wow, that sucks.

I will update this when Half Life 3 arrives. [Started 17/11/2015]

3DS Friend Code: 4768-7429-4970

DreamyViridi

The Wii Classic Controllers also works according to GameXplain.

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

iKhan

DreamyViridi wrote:

Yeah but those were a waste of money (you could just use a GC controller) until the Wii U came out and they stopped making them.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

unrandomsam

iKhan wrote:

DreamyViridi wrote:

Yeah but those were a waste of money (you could just use a GC controller) until the Wii U came out and they stopped making them.

Loads of VC games (And a few games) that are garbage with the Gamecube Controller.

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

unrandomsam

Can never have too many controller options. (Why settle for anything other than what you find the most comfortable for any given game).

The only one I don't have is the Wii Neo Geo Stick because of its weight and the fact it was Japan only. (If it appears on a UK site like Amazon UK I will get that as well).

Edited on by unrandomsam

erv

unrandomsam wrote:

Can never have too many controller options. (Why settle for anything other than what you find the most comfortable for any given game).

The only one I don't have is the Wii Neo Geo Stick because of its weight and the fact it was Japan only. (If it appears on a UK site like Amazon UK I will get that as well).

Actually, I'm one of those people that love singularity in any given game. Give me the one control option that's the best. I don't want to assess any of the pros and cons myself. I also don't want to feel left hanging when probably using the less ideal control option when playing online.

I don't really like the many options strategy. I just want the one setup suitable for all.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

Grumblevolcano

I like the many controller options, for example many Wii games would be significantly better if they supported the GC controller.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

iKhan

^Not sure about that. Most Wii games were pretty subtly enhanced by motion controls. IMO, I could never play TP without them, nor Mario Kart.

unrandomsam

Twilight Princess was made objectively worse by the addition of the motion controls.

Small things make it obvious that the main version was the Gamecube one.

iKhan

No, it wasn't "objectively worse". There is no objective measure of controls.

TP was way more engaging and immersive because of motion controls. Because swinging the controller was tied to swinging the sword, I felt like I was in the world.

I'd even argue it worked better than in Skyward Sword, because the game didn't completely revolve around motion controls. I didn't have to think about the controller with every enemy I faced like in SS, I just did what was natural in TP. Also, the challenge of enemies in TP was far more well rounded than in SS. Most SS enemies were slow and relied on precision aiming as their main challenge.

Also, aiming was 100 times more intuitive and comfortable.

Sure, there were some small changes, but I'm gladly willing to accept those for all the benefits.

Edited on by iKhan

BearHunger

I appreciated IR aiming in Twilight Princess. Could you swing the sword while running in the GameCube version? I liked how you could do that in the Wii one.

BearHunger

Nintendo Network ID: Bear_Hunger

Grumblevolcano

I was mostly referring to games like Kirby Return to Dreamland, Donkey Kong Country Returns and New Super Mario Bros. Wii that have forced Wii Remote usage when there's not any real reason why the is the case or games like Sonic Colours and Brawl where there's not enough buttons on the Wii Remote for a control system that works properly. Best usage of motion controls would have to go to Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Edited on by Grumblevolcano

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

unrandomsam

I have barely played Megaman X4 due to the unsuitability of the Gamecube controller for it. (Even though I really like it). 2D I almost always want a good dpad. (Some of the early bits of Returns I used a bit of both control mechanisms but I used the dpad exclusively towards the end even though the waggle annoyed me).

iKhan

Grumblevolcano wrote:

I was mostly referring to games like Kirby Return to Dreamland, Donkey Kong Country Returns and New Super Mario Bros. Wii that have forced Wii Remote usage when there's not any real reason why the is the case or games like Sonic Colours and Brawl where there's not enough buttons on the Wii Remote for a control system that works properly. Best usage of motion controls would have to go to Metroid Prime Trilogy.

Okay fair enough. I don't play many 2D platformers so I can't really speak for those games. When I do play them, I prefer to play on handhelds. I like consoles for the grand 3D adventures; handhelds and PC for short spurt experiences or games with lots of multitasking.

DreamyViridi

Regardless, I don't think control of all things will be too much of a issue. Unlikely as it is, extra control options could be patched in if need be ala NSMBU and the Pro Controller. A stretch yes but still...
Also, Splatoon banner ads on the site! 1 month to go!

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic