Forums

Topic: Splatoon - OT

Posts 861 to 880 of 14,636

crimsoncavalier

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I do agree that not having it with friends is dumb but I still appreciate Nintendo going against what's expected (despite it being somewhat misguided). I'm usually not a fan of when features are put in because it's "standard" and "required to be a modern game". It honestly makes even good parts of modern gaming feel disgustingly cynical at times, like go against a trend and some people in suits have decided your game WILL fail, your opinion as a developer is invalid.

Also, maybe it's because I rarely use voice chat, but honestly, if you can't make this work without voice chat, you've arguably already failed. I do think voice chat with friends should entirely be a thing and they are ultimately wrong to exclude that, but the idea that it's a deal breaker for anyone is silly.

It shouldn't be a deal breaker, and many people play online shooters without voice chat, BUT ... when it's intended to be such team-work heavy title, with only 4 players working together to take over a section in the middle of the map, you'd think communication would be kind of important between team members...

I just think having the option is better than not having the option, not that not having it makes the game worse.

crimsoncavalier

Nintendo Network ID: CrimsonCavalier

SomeBitTripFan

So, in the video in the most recent Splatoon article, the one about the sniper-esque/railgun-esque weapon, I noticed a bit of aim assist. What are your thoughts?

Just Someloggery
You have the right to disagree with me and the ability to consider anything valid that I say; Please exercise both.

Nintendo Network ID: SomeBitTripFan

JoyBoy

crimsoncavalier wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

I do agree that not having it with friends is dumb but I still appreciate Nintendo going against what's expected (despite it being somewhat misguided). I'm usually not a fan of when features are put in because it's "standard" and "required to be a modern game". It honestly makes even good parts of modern gaming feel disgustingly cynical at times, like go against a trend and some people in suits have decided your game WILL fail, your opinion as a developer is invalid.

Also, maybe it's because I rarely use voice chat, but honestly, if you can't make this work without voice chat, you've arguably already failed. I do think voice chat with friends should entirely be a thing and they are ultimately wrong to exclude that, but the idea that it's a deal breaker for anyone is silly.

It shouldn't be a deal breaker, and many people play online shooters without voice chat, BUT ... when it's intended to be such team-work heavy title, with only 4 players working together to take over a section in the middle of the map, you'd think communication would be kind of important between team members...

I just think having the option is better than not having the option, not that not having it makes the game worse.

I usually don't want to talk with people online, teambased or not. So the question is, have you considered the fact that the game could actually be worse for people like me who get their *ss kicked solely because my team doesn't use voice chat while the other team does. Yeah... definitely no downside with the whole "just mute everyone if you don't like it" crap...

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

HollywoodHogan

Mahemoth wrote:

Yeah... definitely no downside with the whole "just mute everyone if you don't like it" crap...

Then have one mode where people can chat, and another where everyone is silenced. Not hard to figure out....except if you are Nintendo!

Friend to all SJW's

JoyBoy

Yeah, let's split the online community!

SW-7849-9887-2074

R_Champ

SomeBitTripFan wrote:

So, in the video in the most recent Splatoon article, the one about the sniper-esque/railgun-esque weapon, I noticed a bit of aim assist. What are your thoughts?

Hmmm, there's always a risk of quick-scoping style BS...but considering range is based on charge time I think it may turn out fairly balanced in the long run. Oh course we'll have to wait an see for sure...I thought Little Mac for Smash Bros. was a great idea until I actually played with/against him--scrubbiest character in any fighting game I've played.

Nintendo & Steam ID: R_Champ

skywake

Going a few pages back to the size of the download and concerns about the amount of content etc. Frankly, it's not a big deal if it's a small download. Infact given the oposite end of the spectrum with GTAV on PC where I had to pick between the 7 DVD install option or the 15hour download? A small download for a game like Splatoon is fine by me.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

HollywoodHogan

Mahemoth wrote:

Guess you have never played an online shooter before.

Free-For-All, Team Death Match, Capture The Flag, etc. Every shooting game has multiple online modes which "split the community".

Friend to all SJW's

JoyBoy

MasterBlaster wrote:

Mahemoth wrote:

Guess you have never played an online shooter before.

Free-For-All, Team Death Match, Capture The Flag, etc. Every shooting game has multiple online modes which "split the community".

.... right... Anyhow, we'll see soon enough how much the lack of voice chat actually impacts the way you play in this game. Can't wait!

SW-7849-9887-2074

TuVictus

We can't really see since we have no basis for comparison in which we play the game with voice chat. Either way, we'll just have to make do without it. While it does take a whole lot of wind out of my hype for the game, it's not a deal breaker. Unless the single player is really just terrible or not worth it.

TuVictus

JoyBoy

Skype is your basis. So let's compare.

SW-7849-9887-2074

HollywoodHogan

Mahemoth wrote:

How exactly does one skype with random teammates online?

No matter how you try to frame it and move the goalposts, not having the option for voice chat in this game is absurd.

Friend to all SJW's

TuVictus

MasterBlaster wrote:

Mahemoth wrote:

No matter how you try to frame it and move the goalposts, not having the option for voice chat in this game is absurd.

@Mahemoth

But it's also not just about how well a team would do with voice chat, I honestly have more fun with a game when I can talk to my team mates. And that option isn't available to me, at least not with random people. I'll have to use an outside source and talk to the one friend I know who's getting the game. Hopefully it's just as fun

Edited on by TuVictus

TuVictus

DefHalan

I find the lack of online chat is a inconvenient convenience. I wouldn't want to talk to anyone other than friends anyway so I would have to mute a lot of players, so it is convenient. I understand some people actually like to talk online and I have had good experiences in voice chat, rarely but there have been some, so it is inconvenient. Lacking voice options just mean I don't have to navigate menus trying to mute players while I am being killed, overall I call it a inconvenient convenience.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

JoyBoy

Operative wrote:

MasterBlaster wrote:

Mahemoth wrote:

@Mahemoth

But it's also not just about how well a team would do with voice chat, I honestly have more fun with a game when I can talk to my team mates. And that option isn't available to me, at least not with random people. I'll have to use an outside source and talk to the one friend I know who's getting the game. Hopefully it's just as fun

Well that's a fair point. But that's not the point people are making concerning lack of voice chat. People are assuming the game is broken without it, that there is no strategy element without it. And you have ppl like MasterFarter who actually think we should have separated rooms for voice and no voice chat, within each different online mode. Goodluck finding a match. But I guess he never played an online shooter before...

SW-7849-9887-2074

jariw

HollywoodHogan wrote:

How do you even understand the language of random teammates? There's a very good statistical chance they might be French, German or Japanese.

jariw

erv

If monster hunter taught me anything, all you get to hear is "german?".

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

HollywoodHogan

jariw wrote:

HollywoodHogan wrote:

How do you even understand the language of random teammates? There's a very good statistical chance they might be French, German or Japanese.

If Sony and Xbox can manage their online servers to have people from the same geographic regions matched up in games together (i.e. English speakers only) Nintendo could surely manage it, no? They already did it in MK8 by allowing you the ability to select a regional or global game, so it isn't that difficult.

Maybe if you live in Europe it is different because so many countries are close, but in North America when you use XBL or PSN, you are not hearing 10 different languages when you play online. You are hearing English the vast majority of the time.

Edited on by HollywoodHogan

Friend to all SJW's

VoodooTrumpet

I wish they'd have released something like a one-map multiplayer demo this month. Still on the fence about this.

She was like a candle in the wind... Unreliable.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8393-7065-0231 | Nintendo Network ID: DieuEtMonDroit

DefHalan

VoodooTrumpet wrote:

I wish they'd have released something like a one-map multiplayer demo this month. Still on the fence about this.

Demos just aren't worth it sadly

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic