Forums

Topic: Splatoon - OT

Posts 681 to 700 of 14,636

shingi_70

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Voice chat is a terrible idea 9 times out of 10. The other 1/10 is not worth it.

That being said, my disappointment is that apparently you can't do 4 player split-screen. That's not good. It's actually one of the justifications for caring about voice chat since it might be more needed after that.

But 9/10 times people are doing party chat with friends while playing randoms. At least that's what I typically do for FPS, I really only play randoms with voice chat for co-op modes.

Looking at the game i'm not sure if split screen could even work. Everyone without the gamepad would be at a huge disadvatged when it comes to seeing the map.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Haiassai

Seriously. It's about the option of having VC. It doesn't matter if it "isn't worth it" for you. The fact that others are vehement about its use prove that it serves a purpose that "matters." it's a shame

Haiassai

3DS Friend Code: 5300-9678-4406 | Nintendo Network ID: Haiassai | Twitter:

Sparx

what I'm curious about is the why

why did they decide not to implement it?

My avatar is from here

crimsoncavalier

Haiassai wrote:

Seriously. It's about the option of having VC. It doesn't matter if it "isn't worth it" for you. The fact that others are vehement about its use prove that it serves a purpose that "matters." it's a shame

That's it exactly. There should be an option. And the option should be there because the type of game this is will suffer without it. Basically, why even make it team based? Why not just have 8 player every-squid-for-itself? What's the point of doing 4v4 teams without any form of communication? I think it's extremely stupid.

crimsoncavalier

Nintendo Network ID: CrimsonCavalier

Bolt_Strike

Anyone else hoping the single player levels get harder than the ones shown? They look really simple and easy, like they were meant for a 5 year old.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Retro_on_theGo

Keep defending it all you want with "I don't care for it" or "everyone's annoying anyways" but not having voice chat IS a bad decision. Maybe you don't care but a majority of the average persons this game is trying to appeal to will. People want voice chat and this will hurt the game's image.

Let's not look at it from a image point of view. The game is a team based shooter. There is no way you're telling me I won't want to communicate with my team at some point or there won't be a moment where having been able to talk to my teammates would have helped. Read Destructoid's preview and you find out you can't see what your teammates are picking. That sure would be a shame if you all ended up picking the same weapon load out on a stage where it isn't useful!

"B-b-but little kids!!"
Mute them. What is so wrong with having options? Maybe voice chat is not for you and you're happy its not in, but for thousands of other consumers it's an unnecessary hassle that it was excluded. I'm not saying this is a deal breaker but it just shows how freaking stubborn Nintendo is.

I'm loving literally everything else I'm seeing from the preview but you can't let Nintendo keep getting away with the no voice chat thing. Its standard in online games today and its just archaic of them not to include it in a freaking team based shooter.

I love this game so far even with its flaws, I'm getting it, and I'm so excited to be able to play it in May, but criticism is necessary for improvement.

Edited on by Retro_on_theGo

DefHalan

I see a lot of people calling Splatoon a platformer and while it does have platforming elements I don't think it is correct. Splatoon is a Third-Person Shooter. Half-Life has some platforming sections but we don't call that a platformer. The main gameplay of both Half-Life and Splatoon is shooting (from different perspectives) but peopleare lumping Splatoon into the Platforming genre... why?

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Octane

DefHalan wrote:

I see a lot of people calling Splatoon a platformer and while it does have platforming elements I don't think it is correct. Splatoon is a Third-Person Shooter. Half-Life has some platforming sections but we don't call that a platformer. The main gameplay of both Half-Life and Splatoon is shooting (from different perspectives) but peopleare lumping Splatoon into the Platforming genre... why?

Probably because some people think that every game Nintendo produces is a platformer. In all honestly though, it does have platformer elements, even more so in single player. The game focusses a lot on jumping and vertical movement, so I don't think it's entirely nonsense.

Octane

Retro_on_theGo

DefHalan wrote:

Because the single player is trying to be a 3D platformer.

http://nintendonews.com/2015/02/splatoon-hero-mode-online-chat/

http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/02/04/famitsu-reveals-new-in...

shingi_70

DefHalan wrote:

Treehouse and other outlets have been calling it a 3D platormer when describing hero mode. Everything we know about the single player make it sounds like a Mix of Mario Galaxy and Sunshine. It would probably be a more accurate descriptor but i'm guessing more people think cover thotter = third person shooter

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

shingi_70

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Anyone else hoping the single player levels get harder than the ones shown? They look really simple and easy, like they were meant for a 5 year old.

Well these seem to be early on and we don't know how long single player is and much about it other than you have a hub world that takes you to levels like Galaxy/sunshine/64.

WAT!

Haiassai

Haiassai wrote:

i have a feeling these questions were probably answered earlier in this thread, but... it seems too daunting to go through 690+ posts. SO APOLOGIES OF THIS HAS BEEN ASKED, but I have a few questions...

1. This game focuses greatly on online multiplayer, which is rad, but will there be much support for local multiplayer? (It seems not, seeing how prominent the use of the gamepad is)

2. Will online multiplayer only be against either strangers or only friends? Or can you mix and match?

3. Is there support for LAN?

Bump

Haiassai

3DS Friend Code: 5300-9678-4406 | Nintendo Network ID: Haiassai | Twitter:

Bolt_Strike

shingi_70 wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Well these seem to be early on and we don't know how long single player is and much about it other than you have a hub world that takes you to levels like Galaxy/sunshine/64.

I figured they were early on, but even for an early game level they seem a bit simple. Maybe it's just because this is a new IP and they want people to get a feel for the controls before they turn up the difficulty. Let's hope the single player is long and challenging and satisfying, it'd feel like a waste if it was just an afterthought.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

IceClimbers

On the topic of voice chat, it should be an option based on principle.

That being said, if you really think most people would actually use voice chat to strategize and work as a team, you are SORELY mistaken. I've played many team based shooters. Not a single one of them ever used voice chat for what it's intended for to any significant extent. Most people scoffed at Rainbow Six Siege when it was revealed because they knew that the tactical voice chat used in the footage was staged and would NEVER actually happen in reality.

People were able to strategize just fine in other team based shooters without using voice chat. Those shooters focus on killing people on the enemy team, and would normally require more strategy. Splatoon's objective (in Turf War at least) is to cover the arena in your team's ink. That's completely visible on the map on the GamePad. That alone will tell you where you need to focus your efforts, especially since enemy icons on the map seem to always be visible when they are not in the ink (might be wrong on that).

3DS Friend Code: 2363-5630-0794

Bolt_Strike

They should at least do what Pokemon tends to do and have some gestures or preset phrases that actually relate to tactics (like "cover me" or "spread out"). Having to rely on the map doesn't effectively communicate a team strategy.

Bolt_Strike

DreamyViridi

The GameXplain videos show that pressing the D-Pad has your character say things, but it only shows two minimal things "Nice" (Down) and "C'mon" (Up), Left and Right don't seem to do anything. As is, that's not much and while I also don't care for the lack of voice chat; you'd think there'd be more "shoutout" options and maybe there is but still...

Edited on by DreamyViridi

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

crimsoncavalier

Haiassai wrote:

Haiassai wrote:

i have a feeling these questions were probably answered earlier in this thread, but... it seems too daunting to go through 690+ posts. SO APOLOGIES OF THIS HAS BEEN ASKED, but I have a few questions...

1. This game focuses greatly on online multiplayer, which is rad, but will there be much support for local multiplayer? (It seems not, seeing how prominent the use of the gamepad is)

2. Will online multiplayer only be against either strangers or only friends? Or can you mix and match?

3. Is there support for LAN?

Bump

1. I don't think there will be local, because, like you said, the map.
2. I think mix. Plus, there will be leaderboards/rankings like in Mario Kart 8.
3. I have no idea. Is LAN even a thing with the Wii U?

crimsoncavalier

Nintendo Network ID: CrimsonCavalier

luke17

Anyone else thing Splatoon sort of rips off the game "de Blob"???

luke17

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic