Forums

Topic: Splatoon - OT

Posts 501 to 520 of 14,636

DreamyViridi

Operative wrote:

"No communication"

2 steps forward and 1 and a half steps back, Nintendo, as usual. You can't have an online game focused on 4 man teamwork and have no way of communicating. It's 2015, get with the program or don't bother making it online at all. I understand no communication between randoms but we 100% should be given the choice to chat with our friends.

"No communication with players you are matched with".

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

MsJubilee

DreamyViridi wrote:

Operative wrote:

"No communication"

2 steps forward and 1 and a half steps back, Nintendo, as usual. You can't have an online game focused on 4 man teamwork and have no way of communicating. It's 2015, get with the program or don't bother making it online at all. I understand no communication between randoms but we 100% should be given the choice to chat with our friends.

Well i guess all my matches are going to be silent then.

Edited on by MsJubilee

The Harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. When the going gets tough, the tough gets going.

I'm currently playing Watch Dogs 2 & Manhunt

Switch Friend Code: SW-5827-3728-4676 | 3DS Friend Code: 3738-0822-0742

Jazzer94

DreamyViridi wrote:

Operative wrote:

"No communication"

I like the optimistic out look but I can see a lobby only chat happening and having played the demo of Splatoon that is really a shame as this game just feels all about communication.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

jariw

Jazzer94 wrote:

I like the optimistic out look but I can see a lobby only chat happening and having played the demo of Splatoon that is really a shame as this game just feels all about communication.

How would that work during the match? If you're sighted by the enemy, it seems like you're likely to be dead within a few seconds? I haven't played the demo, but seeing the matches on E3, where the map state changes so rapidly and people respawning often seems like communication needs to be handled before the match?

jariw

Ralek85

That's a huge bummer ... Basically that means you either have 3 friends at hand, who want to play Splatoon, or you just shouldn't bother doing MP at all. I can't imagine playing a game like Splatoon without being able to communicate with my teammates, actually I can't imagine playing without being able to actually talk to them while playing. Everyone just ends up running around, doing his own thing ... turning the very concept of a teambased game into joke.
I didn't expect Nintendo to understand this, since they lack experience with online play in general and teambased/shooters in particular, but it's still a disappointment. If this turns out to be the final word on the issue, and if they are unable to provide any other means of communication, I have to reconsider getting this at all, despite it being on the top of my list for 2015. Assuming 343 gets Halo 5 online right, it might just have to go with that instead, well, maybe the SP/ local ends up making Splatoon worthwhile once more, I doubt it though =(
Even with close to 30 people on my "friend"list, I seldomely see more than 3 or 4 online at the same time, not to mention, playing the same game .... even that would be assuming that there is actually a voicechat for teams made up of friends and that said team can be matched against random players, not just against more friends ... What a mess, I'd be really crestfallen right now, if this were any kind of surprise. Nintendo keeping true to themselves once more =(
The simple fact that there is no systembased party/chat-system on the WiiU turned it into a laughing-stock among many of my buddies as it is .... seeing Nintendo releasing a squadbased shooter without any proper means of communication will just reinforce the whole casual image Nintendo has been persistent in fosterting since the Wii launched. Considering the way the are hamstringing their own creative talent is just heartbreaking :-/

Switch: 3355-6459-9982 | 3DS: 2809-7989-1816 | NNID: Ralek85

Jazzer94

jariw wrote:

Jazzer94 wrote:

How would that work during the match? If you're sighted by the enemy, it seems like you're likely to be dead within a few seconds? I haven't played the demo, but seeing the matches on E3, where the map state changes so rapidly and people respawning often seems like communication needs to be handled before the match?

Yes having a slight strategy before the match helps but given the mix of offensive/defensive play and how quickly a match changes, realtime communication is vital and noticeably increases a teams victory rate.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

TuVictus

While lobby chat might be a thing, no one can prepare for what a match might have. The simple fact that the games can be so hectic is even more reason for needing communication. You should be able to coordinate if anything unexpected happens, which is what this game is pretty much all about: Crazy, unexpected but fun gameplay.

TuVictus

veeflames

"The option NOT TO communicate with players you're matched with."
I hope this is what the magazine meant. I need confirmation from Nintendo before jumping into conclusions.
I mean, I don't even see myself communicating with others that much, but I think communication during combat is essential in a game like Splatoon. Sure, the players could strategize before the fighting begins, but things can happen during the match, and fighters would need intel or a new plan.
The least they can do is place a button on the touchscreen instantly enabling or disabling communications... for different reasons.

Edited on by veeflames

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

veeflames

"Tried implementing a system whereby you could give orders to your team mates, but battles were too quick and hectic for them to be effective so they got rid of the feature"
Hm. This suggests Nintendo DID consider communications among players. Fingers crossed for a far more effective communication system.

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

Ralek85

VeeFlamesNL wrote:

I hope this is what the magazine meant. I need confirmation from Nintendo before jumping into conclusions.
I mean, I don't even see myself communicating with others that much, but I think communication during combat is essential in a game like Splatoon. Sure, the players could strategize before the fighting begins, but things can happen during the match, and fighters would need intel or a new plan.
The least they can do is place a button on the touchscreen instantly enabling or disabling communications... for different reasons.

I don't even begin to see issue. Do what PC games have been doing for more than a decade ... put a playerlist on the gamepad (hide/unhide it via a button/touch). "Clicking" a player mutes him, clicking him once more unmutes him, make a field for "mute self" and "mute all". Congratz, you're golden. What could be easier than that?

Switch: 3355-6459-9982 | 3DS: 2809-7989-1816 | NNID: Ralek85

iKhan

VeeFlamesNL wrote:

"no communication at all" would mean that you don't communicate in lobbies, via text, or anything. It's kind of ridiculous.

I hope that's what they mean as well.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

shingi_70

FFS its 2015 Nintendo.

While FPS games can be played without voice chat the game becomes a whole new thing if you do voice chat with friends.

A bit sad but I met a lot of cool people doing halo randoms.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

renaryuugufan92

all online games should have voice chat its 2015 Nintendo and no mk8 and smash did not get voice chat the way they should have, restricted to lobby's really?

Edited on by renaryuugufan92

Style Savvy Shop Code: R22M60G78 | XboxLive: NikkiChan92 | Steam: Nikki_chan92 | Switch FC: SW-0079-0452-6231

Switch Friend Code: SW-0079-0452-6231 | 3DS Friend Code: 0001-3400-5874

Nicolai

I'm just happy that local multiplayer is at least on the radar. All of my gaming friends I know in person, and they don't own a Wii U. Even the ones that do don't seem interested in Splatoon, and it would be harder to convince them to buy the game.

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

luisesteban

Without voice chat, I recall RE: Revelations on 3DS, the options with the D-Pad were simple, but very effective.

Edited on by luisesteban

luisesteban

iKhan

People are complaining about the wrong thing. It's not just a lack of voice chat, it's a lack of communication whatsoever. C'mon Nintendo, there are clear strategy elements here. Communication is a must. Even if you don't put voice chat, add some sort of text communication.

Currently Playing: Steamworld Heist, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Tales of Graces F

Octane

Hold your horses people, before the internet explodes; that was a very loose translation.

The original source states that you cannot communicate with players you have met in that match. Although that doesn't technically confirm voice-chat with friends, they particularly ruled out voice-chat with strangers, so it's pretty safe to assume that voice-chat with friends will be included.

Don't have any friends? Make some, there's plenty of Miiverse integration in the game.

Source: http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-11985619159.html

Edited on by Octane

Octane

Nicolai

Octane wrote:

Don't have any friends? Make some, there's plenty of Miiverse integration in the game.

Source: http://ameblo.jp/sinobi/entry-11985619159.html

I'm not what you call a "social butterfly." Making friends online is way harder than that in real life in my opinion. The only way you can see what they look like is through Wii U chat, and that comes already with a privacy breach, because they get to see what your room and home looks like. If for some reason you don't want to talk to them anymore (e.g. they're too young, they don't like the same kind of games, he/she's creepy/perverted in general, etc.) I can imagine it would be awkward trying to hang them up. It's not like real life, where you already get a sense of who they are from being in a class or group together. In a chat, you're locked in that one-on-one conversation. Besides, I have a much harder time keeping up with internet friends anyway. Any that are on my friends list have long since forgotten about me, and I've forgotten who they are and what we've said.

Playing with people you know really well and have for a long time is way more enjoyable, and it's way better in person.

I dunno. I've met a lot of people here on Nintendo Life, and we've had great conversations. I'd still be really nervous breaking that barrier and chatting with anyone, no offense. I don't know what any of you are like away from the computer.

Edited on by Nicolai

Got married.
Nico-loggery! - || - Time Zone: CST (-6:00) - |...

Switch Friend Code: SW-7850-8250-1626 | My Nintendo: nicolai8bit | Nintendo Network ID: Nicolai

Octane

@Nicolai Don't worry, don't take that last sentence as serious as the rest of my post. For those who want more people to voice-chat with in Splatoon (if voice-chat is possible with friends), there's plenty of options to find other people to play with. That's what I'm getting at.

Octane

Rezalack

shingi_70 wrote:

FFS its 2015 Nintendo.

While FPS games can be played without voice chat the game becomes a whole new thing if you do voice chat with friends.

A bit sad but I met a lot of cool people doing halo randoms.

Yup, The fact that you can't even voice chat with friends is just beyond me. I don't understand why they would cut out something so friggin critical in todays pvp games. It's ridiculous. I can understand not being able to talk to randoms because it could be annoying, but why not friends? How are we supposed to communicate? This has killed some interest I had in this game. I was looking forward to it, but now.. just not as much I suppose.

Rezalack

Nintendo Network ID: Spuratis

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic