Topic: Splatoon - OT

Posts 3,641 to 3,660 of 14,636

-Green-

Grumblevolcano wrote:

jariw wrote:

Aromaiden wrote:

jariw wrote:

Spoony_Tech wrote:

I think with a million people plus getting the game I doubt they will have problems match making anytime soon. At any given time there might be over 50k online at once.

Splatoon is currently exceeding what they were planning/expecting for. Iwata from the recent shareholder's Q&A:
" As some of you may have seen the TV commercials we have been airing recently, “Splatoon” is a brand-new title and not a title from an established series. It has a very unique and fantasy-like setting. This game, inspired by squid squirting out ink, is played by human-shaped characters with squid-like features shooting, instead of squirting, ink at each other, and the team that paints the widest area in its team color wins. Having received high recognition from our consumers for its novelty, this title’s sell-through sales reached 1 million units in less than a month from its release. We feel very grateful for this, since our view was not so optimistic prior to release, for it being a non-series title. "

Hopefully this encourages Nintendo to create equally great new IPs and that they properly advertise their games.

I don't think it's as easy as that. Nintendo had a new IP for the 3DS that they released just a few months ago. People who actually tried the game said it was pretty good, but every marketing attempt failed. It wasn't the game the market wanted.

I felt their attempt at marketing Codename STEAM was rather poor. Not revealed in the Digital Event last year but rather at a roundtable no-one could view, only a small appearance on Treehouse Live Day 3, a few appearances in future Nintendo Directs and that was it.

Splatoon however was everywhere. Revealed in the Digital Event, lots of time on all three Treehouse Live days, many appearances in Nintendo Directs in addition to big gaming events, it's own Direct in addition to stress tests.

I agree. Codename STEAM was very poorly advertised, especially in comparison to Splatoon. Advertising plays a huge role in how successful new IPs are. I feel that Splatoon is a great example of how successful a new game can be with proper advertisement, and Codename STEAM pretty much shows what happens when you don't effectively advertise a new IP. So I thought it would be a good sign for Nintendo on how important advertising is when it comes to new IPs. Although I may be oversimplifying it a bit.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

-Green-

Nintendo has made a lot of "weird" decisions with Splatoon. I wonder why they haven't added a third map to the rotations yet, and I personally don't like how they remove Splatzones.

"Enthusiastic Hi" (awkward stare)
Nintendo Switch Code: SW-5081-0666-1429
PS4 Thing: TBA

jump

Aromaiden wrote:

Grumblevolcano wrote:

jariw wrote:

Aromaiden wrote:

jariw wrote:

Spoony_Tech wrote:

I think with a million people plus getting the game I doubt they will have problems match making anytime soon. At any given time there might be over 50k online at once.

Splatoon is currently exceeding what they were planning/expecting for. Iwata from the recent shareholder's Q&A:
" As some of you may have seen the TV commercials we have been airing recently, “Splatoon” is a brand-new title and not a title from an established series. It has a very unique and fantasy-like setting. This game, inspired by squid squirting out ink, is played by human-shaped characters with squid-like features shooting, instead of squirting, ink at each other, and the team that paints the widest area in its team color wins. Having received high recognition from our consumers for its novelty, this title’s sell-through sales reached 1 million units in less than a month from its release. We feel very grateful for this, since our view was not so optimistic prior to release, for it being a non-series title. "

Hopefully this encourages Nintendo to create equally great new IPs and that they properly advertise their games.

I don't think it's as easy as that. Nintendo had a new IP for the 3DS that they released just a few months ago. People who actually tried the game said it was pretty good, but every marketing attempt failed. It wasn't the game the market wanted.

I felt their attempt at marketing Codename STEAM was rather poor. Not revealed in the Digital Event last year but rather at a roundtable no-one could view, only a small appearance on Treehouse Live Day 3, a few appearances in future Nintendo Directs and that was it.

Splatoon however was everywhere. Revealed in the Digital Event, lots of time on all three Treehouse Live days, many appearances in Nintendo Directs in addition to big gaming events, it's own Direct in addition to stress tests.

I agree. Codename STEAM was very poorly advertised, especially in comparison to Splatoon. Advertising plays a huge role in how successful new IPs are. I feel that Splatoon is a great example of how successful a new game can be with proper advertisement, and Codename STEAM pretty much shows what happens when you don't effectively advertise a new IP. So I thought it would be a good sign for Nintendo on how important advertising is when it comes to new IPs. Although I may be oversimplifying it a bit.

STEAM was an incredibly hard sale from the get go and the instant reaction was I don't get it which is understandable when it's a mix of comics, steampunk, lovercraft, fps, trpg and aside from a few shooter aspects none of which are really mainstream popular.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

Fazermint

Aromaiden wrote:

Nintendo has made a lot of "weird" decisions with Splatoon. I wonder why they haven't added a third map to the rotations yet, and I personally don't like how they remove Splatzones.

I was just about to make a similar comment. Despite having fun core gameplay, Splatoon's design decision have been bugging me ever since I got it.

1. We can't pick the levels we want.
2. We can't pick the modes we want.
3. The separation of regular and ranked modes doesn't make sense. I'd like to be able to play Splat Zones and Tower Control unranked, or Turf War ranked. It's called freedom. Players like that. Nintendo doesn't know.
4. Ranking is based on 75% luck and 25% performance (considering you're 1/4th of a team).

I just want to be able to play the mode I want, on the level I want, and decide myself if it should be ranked or unranked. But no, Nintendo knows what their customers want... And I wish I could be rated on my own personal performance rather than how lucky I am with my my team members. I somehow made it up to A rank, but after testing out Tower Control I'm back to A- . I played like a damn hero, with an average of 4 kills per death (that's hard in A rank), but if my team can't keep up it doesn't matter.

That reminds me, I threw together a fully automated statkeeping sheet in excel. Maybe you guys would be interested in it?

The game just gives you absolute zero control over your own gaming experience.

Edited on by Eel

Smash 4 manifest: I shall not

Spam ranged attacksCenter my playstyle around 1 or 2 combosFish for meteor spikesInsult my opponent through player tags

Nintendo Network ID: VanHelvet

Rixor13

if anyone knows the player "big pun", report him.

Is this a joke? Are you having a chuckle? Haha, very funny. I'm the one with a degree

Avatar credit to Undertale and Toby fox.

3DS Friend Code: 1951-0757-8693 | Nintendo Network ID: rixor11

Spoony_Tech

The stats thing does bug me. I'm hoping this big update will give us at the very least win lose records. I hope for kdr and each weapons krd as well but that's wishful thinking. I'm still having a blast though so it's all good.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

rjejr

OK, so I found this website listing the times and stages and it looks like the mode as well.

https://splatoon.ink/

So anybody here tech savy enough to figure out what evil viruses it is implanting on my PC? I don't believe there is a domain for .ink. Here's the source code for people too smart to click on an unknown link.

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<link href='https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Knewave' rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'>
<link href='https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Titillium+Web' rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'>
<link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="squid.png"/>
<link href='main.css' rel='stylesheet' type='text/css'>
<script type="text/javascript" src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/2.1.3/jquery.min.js"></script>
<script src="main.js"></script>
</head>
<body>
<div class="good_guy_color header" id="header">Splatoon</div>
<div class="good_guy_color countdown" id="map_rotation_wrapper"><span class="bad_guy_color" id="map_rotation_countdown"></span> until map rotation</div>
<div class="good_guy_color local_hours_wrapper" id="local_hours_wrapper">
<p>Map rotation times for your time zone:</p>
<ul class="local_hours_list" id="local_hours_list">
</ul>
</div>
<div class="hidden good_guy_color countdown" id="current_stages_wrapper">
<p>Current Turf War maps are:</p>
<p><span class="bad_guy_color stage_name" id="stage_1_name"></span> & <span class="bad_guy_color stage_name" id="stage_2_name"></span></p>
<p>Current Splat Zones maps are:</p>
<p><span class="bad_guy_color stage_name" id="ranked_1_name"></span> & <span class="bad_guy_color stage_name" id="ranked_2_name"></span></p>
</div>
</body>
</html>

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection
The lovers, the dreamers and me

Mk_II

So anybody here tech savy enough to figure out what evil viruses it is implanting on my PC?

Nothing untoward happening in the posted code. However. there's an unknown "main.js" Javascript file included and that could be doing all kinds of things nad we can't see them here. But you're probably safe.

Nintendo 64 Forever forum
Nintendo Games NES 241 | SNES 324 | N64 267 | NGC 150 | WII 85 | WIIU 9 | IQUE 5 | GB 161 | GBC 57 | GBA 106 | NDS 57 | 3DS 21
Nintendo Network ID: Mk2_NL 3DS Friend code

Fazermint

@Spoony_Tech: Should I send you my statkeeping sheet? Fully automated total, average and ratio of kills/deaths. Need excel for it, though. Know any good upload methods? Don't think I can share files on NL

Smash 4 manifest: I shall not

Spam ranged attacksCenter my playstyle around 1 or 2 combosFish for meteor spikesInsult my opponent through player tags

Nintendo Network ID: VanHelvet

rjejr

@Spoony_Tech: - You're worried about kdr in a game about inking floors?

I'm a stat nut, and the level thing is still killing me. I want to screensave the aftermath of every battle - even though I know it doesn't matter - just b/c 20,20,20,20 vs 14,16,18,10 just seems so wrong. But yeah a simple W/L would be nice. And the "flags" keep the streak stats so you just KNOW they are tracking it, just not letting us see it.

Maybe we should design some Yatzhee like score pads and start selling them on Etsy?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/224506490/12-yahtzee-uno-scoresh...

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection

Spoony_Tech

@Fazermint: Thanks but no, I should have to keep my own stats. Last I checked Nintendo this is 2015 and not 1999. At the very least we should see win loss. We can see our stats in kart 8 so what's the deal.

@rjejr Yes I would like to see it. Especially for ranked mode where kills mean so much more. Also I've come to the realization that if I don't play turf wars aggressive then I don't play well. I still paint a lot but I need to know where the enemy is and if they're dead then they ain't painting!

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

rjejr

@Spoony_Tech: "if I don't play turf wars aggressive then I don't play well"

Aren't you the guy who was giving me a hard time for shooting people in the back?

Your kid play tower control yet? My kids still haven't reached 10 yet, been busy doing other stuff. One had a friend over today and they were playing Metroid in Nintendo Land. Those outside levels looked fun in co-op, the inside ones were always too claustrophobic for me. It looked better than Federation Force.

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection

Spoony_Tech

@rjejr: Lol and yes he's played about 10 and he's level 20. He lost his first 3 this morning but won about 4 or 5 total. He's quite good and gives me a run for my money in the dojo. We were about even in the dojo till his sister ratted him out telling my he was looking at the tv. I wondered how he knew where I was sometimes.

He's a B- C+ player though as he just can't seem to get to B.

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

MERG said:

rjejr

@Spoony_Tech: - He's a B- C+ player though as he just can't seem to get to B.

Yeah, that's about where I am, but we already knew he was better than me after the single player boss fight. Oh, and I was mistaken, my 1 kid is level 12 I didn't know. I tikn it's time for us to start playing more together before they gt too far left behind. I'm 115 hours into Xenoblade, once I finsih that then I can get better as well.

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection

jariw

Fazermint wrote:

1. We can't pick the levels we want.
2. We can't pick the modes we want.

August update.

Fazermin wrote:

3. The separation of regular and ranked modes doesn't make sense. I'd like to be able to play Splat Zones and Tower Control unranked, or Turf War ranked. It's called freedom. Players like that. Nintendo doesn't know.

The current separation makes sense for many players.

4. Ranking is based on 75% luck and 25% performance (considering you're 1/4th of a team).

Statistically, this only makes sense if you play with 7 players who have identical playing style and and skill level. For all other situations, after enough number a randomized team setups, the only common denominator is yourself.

Fazermint wrote:

I just want to be able to play the mode I want, on the level I want, and decide myself if it should be ranked or unranked. But no, Nintendo knows what their customers want... And I wish I could be rated on my own personal performance rather than how lucky I am with my my team members. I somehow made it up to A rank, but after testing out Tower Control I'm back to A- . I played like a damn hero, with an average of 4 kills per death (that's hard in A rank), but if my team can't keep up it doesn't matter.

If you want to play a game that play the way the "customer wants", there are numerous games based on bullet-point game design out there already.

By reading your conclusions above, I only get the feeling that the statistics that's already available to you is widely overinterpreted. Statistics in a match is of no use if you don't take into account when the events happened and how, specially since the number of different statics is so sparse. If (for example) the individual tower travel distance would be included in the statitics, the statitics would be much 3-dimensional all of a sudden.

Edited on by jariw

jariw

rjejr

@pikminfan22: I've been using this on my PC, but it doesn't work on my Android tablet using Dolphin. Hope it helps. But yes it's stupid on their part. I understand their reasoning, keep the 4x4 lobbies filling it up fast b/c we don't have many choices, but I'd be willing to wait a minute to choose my mode. I'm OK w/ the map rotation, gives me something to look forward to and forces me to change weapons - I like my gear for now - but swapping splat zone and tower control just sucks, no defending that.

I wonder what will happen w/ 4th of July Splatfest being US only? Could be waiting awhile due to holiday travelers. My spiteful side hopes so.

https://splatoon.ink/

Someday we'll find it
The rainbow connection

Jazzer94

I do find Splatzones and Tower Control rotation to just be a pain as at the moment I'd rather be able to play tower control, I'd just like choice honestly.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

OorWullie

Like others I find the rotation of the ranked modes to be very frustrating.I was playing Tower Control earlier and it was Saltspray Rig and Port Mackerel in rotation.The first 7 or 8 battles were over in less than a minute,as soon as we or the opposing team got on the tower it got to the goal without any trouble.Saltspray Rig especially doesn't seem designed well for this mode.I wanted to quit and play Splat Zones but of course that was not an option for another 3 hours.Hopefully this will change come August but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't.

🇬🇧 Mr Mustard 🇹🇭
SW-6101-8403-1640

🕹️ The Nintendolife Arcade Leaderboards 🕹️

veeflames

I'm joining the "Tower Control/Splat Zones rotation is quite odd" bandwagon. An odd choice, really, but I was thinking about it and I think it's because of the fact that if there are choices, the most players(especially the experts) will only play one mode, creating a scarcity of players in the other modes. You can't blames the players, though.
I hope the August update comes with choices.

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic