Forums

Topic: Splatoon - OT

Posts 2,061 to 2,080 of 14,636

ZuneTattooGuy

arronishere wrote:

Quinnsdaddy11 wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

It isn't even the first new IP from Nintendo in 2015.

But yeah, this was an important one.

What Nintendo developed IPs came out in the best 10 yrs?

I take it you're saying Codename STEAM doesn't count as it wasn't developed by them directly (rather than simply being unaware of games like STEAM, Rhythm Heaven, Xenoblade, Pushmo etc) but that to me is splitting hairs.

Codename S.T.E.A.M - Developed by Intelligent Systems, Published by Nintendo
Rhythm Heaven - Developed by Nintendo Software Planning & Development
Xenoblade Chronicles - Developed by Monolith Soft, Monster Games
Pushmo - Developed by Intelligent Systems published by Nintendo

Splatoon developed by Nintendo Entertainment Analysis & Development

So you got me on Rhythm Heaven.

Gamertag: GoingTheDist

CaviarMeths

Quinnsdaddy11 wrote:

All of the above - Nintendo IPs.

As are Nintendo Land, Wonderful 101, Steel Diver, HarmoKnight, Sakura Samurai, Dillon's Rolling Western, The Last Story, and Pandora's Tower, off the top of my head. Nintendo is the publisher and copyright owner for all of them. It is their intellectual property.

Also, Monolith is owned by Nintendo and they have their office in Nintendo's Tokyo headquarters. They are every bit as much Nintendo as EAD themselves.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

ZuneTattooGuy

CaviarMeths wrote:

Quinnsdaddy11 wrote:

As are Nintendo Land, Wonderful 101, Steel Diver, HarmoKnight, Sakura Samurai, Dillon's Rolling Western, The Last Story, and Pandora's Tower, off the top of my head. Nintendo is the publisher and copyright owner for all of them. It is their intellectual property.

Also, Monolith is owned by Nintendo and they have their office in Nintendo's Tokyo headquarters. They are every bit as much Nintendo as EAD themselves.

So because Sega published two Alien games, they now own the Alien Franchise? Publishers don't automatically own the IPs unless they own the studios too.

Gamertag: GoingTheDist

CaviarMeths

Quinnsdaddy11 wrote:

So because Sega published two Alien games, they now own the Alien Franchise? Publishers don't automatically own the IPs unless they own the studios too.

No, that's not how this works at all. There's nothing automatic about anything I listed. Nintendo is the property owner because they filed for and received the copyright to all of them. If Platinum wanted to make a sequel to Wonderful 101 on PS4, they can't. Nintendo is the copyright owner. And if Nintendo wanted to go ahead and develop a sequel to it without any involvement from Platinum at all, they're free to do so. Though they wouldn't anyway, both because the first one bombed and because stiffing a 3rd party like that isn't really a good idea for Nintendo right now.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

jump

Quinnsdaddy11 wrote:

The studios that made the Alien games don't own the Alien franchise though

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

UGXwolf

Quinnsdaddy11 wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Quinnsdaddy11 wrote:

No, but Nintendo does actually own the rights to all of those. Not to mention, when a company has an exclusive publisher like Intelligent Systems does, you can bet that publisher probably owns the rights to most, if not all, of the games that developer makes.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

NinjaWaddleDee

I'm not sure why everyone is so worried about content. I mean sure, you want bang for your buck, but it doesn't really matter when nintendo said themselves that they would keep updating Splatoon with new free content. I don't see the problem there. Unlike an online game like Destiny, we won't be paying 20 dollars to have our 60 dollar game expanded. I mean yeah, they could have shipped with more than 5 maps, But at least they want to keep us engaged and playing.

The only problem I have with this game is the map rotation. Only 2 maps every 4 hours doesn't sound great. Regardless though, I'll be picking up the game right after I get home from the gym

Edited on by NinjaWaddleDee

Check out my YouTube channel if you love gaming, and Nintendo (especially Metroid) I think you'll enjoy my videos. :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCagN36OxIjCGUVMaYFtPgSg

Nintendo Network ID: NinjaWaddleDee

Jaz007

I've got some interest in Splatoon, but it just doesn't grab me enough to want to get at lunch (or $60). The lack of modes and maps at launch doesn't help either too. Not to mention I'm out until I can play more than 2 maps in an hour. I'm not sure what idiot made that decision. Honestly though, I'm not sure this will get a price drop anytime soon since it's a Nintendo game, so I may not get it at all. I do hope it's fixed and cheaper in a few months though.

Edited on by Jaz007

Jaz007

jariw

Jaz007 wrote:

Not to mention I'm our until I can play more than 2 maps in an hour.

That will be just a matter of days. When the Ranked Battles unlocks, Ranked Battles will use 2 different maps than Turf War during the same time slot. (But you need to be level 10 to access Ranked Battles.)

Edited on by jariw

jariw

CanisWolfred

I'm getting Splatoon because I pre-ordered already, and I wasn't going to play much of the multiplayer anyways. But yeah, otherwise this would be a "I'll get it in a few months" kinda game, because I hate having a game sit on the shelf just because I have to wait for the developer to finish the freakin' game.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Jaz007

jariw wrote:

Jaz007 wrote:

That will be just a matter of days. When the Ranked Battles unlocks, Ranked Battles will use 2 different maps than Turf War during the same time slot. (But you need to be level 10 to access Ranked Battles.)

That puts a band-aid on it, it doesn't fix it.

Jaz007

jariw

Jaz007 wrote:

jariw wrote:

Jaz007 wrote:

It will not be fixed, other than possibly expanding to 3+3 in the future. The Splatoon gameplay isn't about maps, since the map changes all the time.

jariw

Grumblevolcano

Quinnsdaddy11 wrote:

Grumblevolcano wrote:

I think it's too early to celebrate, EU and NA are the ones I'm most concerned about. EU because of the lorry theft and NA because of overpricing + wave 4 amiibo releasing on the same day.

NA overpricing? Its the regular $60 price point. We didn't get the same EU 10% discount but saying its overpriced implies its more costly than $60

No, EU have Splatoon at the Kirby and the Rainbow Curse price point of £34.99 so the NA price should be $39.99. Hence Splatoon is $20 overpriced in NA.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

jariw

Grumblevolcano wrote:

No, EU have Splatoon at the Kirby and the Rainbow Curse price point of £34.99 so the NA price should be $39.99. Hence Splatoon is $20 overpriced in NA.

It's budget priced in NoE, because NoE isn't as confident in attracting a audience for the game as NoA and Japan are.

jariw

Jaz007

jariw wrote:

Jaz007 wrote:

jariw wrote:

Jaz007 wrote:

It will not be fixed, other than possibly expanding to 3+3 in the future. The Splatoon gameplay isn't about maps, since the map changes all the time.

The gameplay isn't about maps? No more than any other online shooter. It changing every hour rather than just going through all of the maps random is just stupid, and I don't see any reasonable defense for it. And what do you mean by 3+3, do you mean another mode with another 2 maps in rotation. And honestly, if Nintendo is going to be able succeed in the online scene, they will have to learn to from their online community, and get rid of the 2 map per hour thing, so I think it will ge fixed eventually.

Jaz007

NinjaWaddleDee

jariw wrote:

Jaz007 wrote:

Not gonna lie, I still think it's a crap idea. But whatever And yes, these types of games are all about map knowledge. That's just the nature of them.

Edited on by NinjaWaddleDee

Check out my YouTube channel if you love gaming, and Nintendo (especially Metroid) I think you'll enjoy my videos. :)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCagN36OxIjCGUVMaYFtPgSg

Nintendo Network ID: NinjaWaddleDee

DoctorOverbuild

Soo I cancelled my Game pre-order and they still sent me the beanie!

Edited on by DoctorOverbuild

My youtube channel for all your Nintendo News needs! - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIh04YEpt3b-z_sVY5YrZDA
The Fire Emblem Hype Is Always Strong!!!
NNID : DoctorOverbuild
3ds Friend Code : 5456 - 0350 - 6896

3DS Friend Code: 5456-0350-6896 | Nintendo Network ID: DoctorOverbuild | Twitter:

erv

Honestly, the quantity of content doesn’t equal the amount of gameplay time or amount of fun you’ll have with it. If that held true, mario kart would be finished in 2 hours.

Switch code: SW-0397-5211-6428
PlayStation: genetic-eternal

Nintendo Network ID: genet1c

UGXwolf

I just disagree. I don't feel like the map rotation is a bad thing, at all. If anything, it allows you to go into battle more prepared for the likelihood of getting one map or the other, since map knowledge is actually VERY important, in this game. If the maps available are Saltspray Rig and Walleye Warehouse, then you'll probably wanna go in with a roller or maybe expect to see a lot of rollers and plan for that. If you see that the available courses include Arowana Mall, maybe a roller isn't such a good idea. Maybe you get Black Belly Skate Park and decide a splattershot sounds like a good idea, or maybe you decide everyone's going to do that and bring a charger, instead to out-range them. But if there's no telling beforehand what map you're gonna wind up on, it doesn't really matter what you bring with you, because odds are, you're gonna be at a disadvantage.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

spizzamarozzi

jariw wrote:

Grumblevolcano wrote:

It's budget priced in NoE, because NoE isn't as confident in attracting a audience for the game as NoA and Japan are.

The pricetag in Japan is around €45, which is very close to ours. I think JP and EU agreed on releasing the game as a budget title because of the lack of "out of the box content", while NOA simply wanted to squeeze as much money as possible from it.
Beside Smash Bros 4, all the recent first party releases have had "budget" prices - Hyrule Warriors, Captain Toad, Kirby...all priced at €40. Personally I think it's brilliant, you really feel like the WiiU is in a league of its own.

Got my copy not half a hour ago from GameStop, the one that comes with the squid amiibo - my first amiibo and likely my last unless Nintendo keeps packing them with their games. It looks like one of those figurines with the stamp on the bottom I used to have as a child. Would love to play now but I'm off to work.

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic