Forums

Topic: Splatoon - OT

Posts 11,321 to 11,340 of 14,636

Blue_Blur

@Vee_Flames: Congrats on reaching S rank!

Splatoon Rank: S+
Splatoon 2 Ranks: SZ: S+ / TC: S+ / RM: S+ / CB: S+

DreamyViridi

@Vee_Flames: Huzzah to your S Rank! Good luck reaching S+ but be warned that it'll take twice as long getting there...

Once a LuigiMan, now a Dreamy representation of the Goddess of Nature.
Retired Palutena Gem Provider.
Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

shani

Vee_Flames wrote:

Ahem. So a tip from me: beacons take a bit of damage before they're destroyed, so try using them (if you have them as a sub) as a shield. Worked fantastic for me: in fact, it allowed me to utterly destroy my opponents, even if they won.

Wow, that's a good tip, thanks! I knew the beacons can take a few shots (similar to a sprinkler), but never thought of using them as a shield. And congrats to your rank up.

Spoony_Tech wrote:

@Lycidas: We all have those days lol. When I feel like I can't get any splats I assist as much as I can even if that means going 4 and 10 sometimes. I figure if I can't score I might as well assist in any way I can. Sometimes staying back and painting turf for others to do work can help out.

Yeah sometimes it's just like that, you have to assist your teammates or sacrifice yourself for specific objectives and be ready when you're needed for the one deciding moment.

What side are the EU-players here on for the Splatfest btw? I can't decide...

My GOTY? Legend Of Zelda: Splat of the child. Ah no, I meant LoZ: Breath of the SPLATOOOON!

NLInklings Discord server | My Youtube channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-3298-8343-1900 | Nintendo Network ID: shani_ace | Twitter:

DreamyViridi

@shani: Team Rich! It's appropriate for me since I just got out of University and getting a job for cash is the next step.

Mario Maker Levels

Switch Friend Code: SW-6593-3528-8788 | 3DS Friend Code: 0688-5405-0932 | Nintendo Network ID: LuigiMan200

DreamyViridi

Not sure about popularity but I've been winning a lot of the matches so far. At one point, I was using an N-Zap '89 and was grouped with other 2 N-Zap '89s and a Kelp Splatterscope. We dominated all of the following matches, it was a blast!

Mario Maker Levels

Lycidas

anyone else having connexion issues? I've been playing for the last days no problem, but yesterday and today, I get a disconnect after one minute max...

3DS Friend Code: 0662 - 2569 - 8444 Nintendo Network ID: Dedalion
Pocket football club: Hebel 05 FC ID: 6788BCBD4

Super Mario Maker Levels

Nintendo Network ID: Dedalion

shani

DreamyViridi wrote:

Not sure about popularity but I've been winning a lot of the matches so far.

That was my experience with every Splatfest so far. But then again, Turf War is just really easier than any of the ranked modes...

I just played against another team with three people from the same clan (+ other palyer). That's no problem at all, I also managed to play the last Splatfest through with DaGreen. It takes several tries but eventually, especially if you're playing at night where less EU players are online, if you start simultaenously, it works.

My GOTY? Legend Of Zelda: Splat of the child. Ah no, I meant LoZ: Breath of the SPLATOOOON!

Switch Friend Code: SW-3298-8343-1900 | Nintendo Network ID: shani_ace | Twitter:

shani

Lycidas wrote:

anyone else having connexion issues? I've been playing for the last days no problem, but yesterday and today, I get a disconnect after one minute max...

Just a few, during the Splatfest only. But no disconnects during battle, just 2-3 times "lost connection to partner" in the lobby and once my money team of four had to wait forever for matchmaking and every now and then, we would see 1-2 money players pop in for the other team, then they were gone, then they were back and gone again. Eventually, after restarting the counter endless times, the game finally "realized" that it couldn't find enough players. ^^ Then I joined the next game and everything was fine.

The disconnects are probably caused by the masses of new players. In Japan alone, nearly 100k copies were sold during december + some in other regions, so you see a lot of new users coming in (with potential connection issues).

Edited on by shani

DreamyViridi

@shani: Yeah, I remember the last Splatfest where I was winning a lot as it started and then got a bit of a losing streak when I played again the following day while the Splatfest was still active. I guess all of the really good European Splatoon players don't come out until way later.

With that said, most of my matches have been against Fitness Teams. I wonder if I'm on the minority side this time...
EDIT: Yeah, I've had a few lost connections myself. Only within the Splatfest lobby though.

Edited on by DreamyViridi

Mario Maker Levels

crimsontadpoles

I've been playing well so far this Splatfest. There seems to be lots of new players, so I've been getting a very good kill to death ratio. However, I've also been with players that aren't that good and there's been some matches where I'm the only person on my team getting more kills than deaths.

I cannot tell yet which team us most popular or who is winning more. This Splatfest seems much closer than other recent ones.

My Anime List
I want you to make contracts with me and become magical girls!

Switch Friend Code: SW-5487-8712-2210 | 3DS Friend Code: 2165-5759-7889 | Nintendo Network ID: crimsontadpoles

crimsontadpoles

Yay, I made it to Fitness Champion. I cannot be bothered to get to King this splatfest though.

It's great to see so many new players on this game. I've been getting over 10 kills quite easily in a lot of matches this splatfest. I wish there was a ranked mode option for Turf Wars since slaughtering the new players eventually gets boring.

My Anime List
I want you to make contracts with me and become magical girls!

Switch Friend Code: SW-5487-8712-2210 | 3DS Friend Code: 2165-5759-7889 | Nintendo Network ID: crimsontadpoles

shani

DreamyViridi wrote:

Yeah, I remember the last Splatfest where I was winning a lot as it started and then got a bit of a losing streak when I played again the following day while the Splatfest was still active.

That's it, for the next Splatfests, I'll only be playing at the night of the first day. Yesterday I was mostly winning, but today it was dramatically worse. Most players on my team may not have been noobs (judging from their lvl), but obviously incompetent. Everybody runs in the same direction all the time and even when your teammates spread out at the beginning, they leave crucial areas of your team's half uncovered.
It would be easy to lay the blame on the players during day hours being younger (=kids) and I think that's even an appropriate claim?

crimsontadpoles wrote:

However, I've also been with players that aren't that good and there's been some matches where I'm the only person on my team getting more kills than deaths.

Well in Turf War, that's not really an issue. I had matches were I inked more than the others by far and had 0 kills myself. And just today, I won a Splatfest match with 5:0 kills, while my teammates all had 0:x (something between 0:4 and 0:6) kills.

However, while I appreciate it that so many new players have bought this game, I can't enjoy easy kills. Several times a roller was near me and rolled away without noticing that I was behind them. I would've killed them immediately if I hadn't been playing with the Splash-o-matic. So I followed them while shooting (which usually would be enough to get their attention) and sometimes I had to catch up to eventually kill them. But not once did they turn around to defend themselves (hello, you've got a roller!), so obviously the were noobs. Splatting them is no fun at all, I almost feel guilty.

crimsontadpoles wrote:

I wish there was a ranked mode option for Turf Wars since slaughtering the new players eventually gets boring.

Really? I wouldn't play that mode. I find Turf War unnecessarily exhausting because you have to cover the whole map. I would rather prefer regular battle with SZ, RM and TC.

That said, I also only made it to champion because i was too tired yesterday and started too late today.

Edited on by shani

Maxz

I sometimes feel guilty about splatting new players who clearly haven't got to grips with things. Except the ones called 'ProGamer88', 'CoolDude76' and 'WinningMaster49'. I relish those splats just a little bit too much.

I quite like the current setup with Splatfests. It gives an incentive to play Turf Wars, which is still a great mode (although more exhausting and less focused than the Ranked modes), and it strikes a nice balance between a light-hearted party atmosphere, and a competition where something (albeit something very silly) is at stake.

Anyway, speaking of the EU Splatfest, what are people's bets? I think it'll be a lot closer than the Pineapple whitewash, and to tell the truth, I really don't know. I THINK 'get fit' might win popularity (if marginally), but I wouldn't be surprised to see 'get rich' take the most wins. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was the complete opposite.

Time will tell!

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

Spoony_Tech

@shani: If you ask me a Splatfest is exactly like a ranked battle. It forces all the good players into one mode and believe me at least 3 of the other players are coming for your team if not all 4. Splatfest when they first started out seemed calm and relaxing but that changed somewhere around the 4th or 5th one. The only way to play and win consistently is charge forward. Now I insist I don't forget the true meaning and that's painting turf. I always paint what my team didn't when I first die and 9 times out of 10 I always die. I believe that's why I've been winning at a 75 to 80% of my matches in like the last 10 of them. Doesn't hurt I'm usually always on the less popular to.

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

shani

@Maxz: Couldn't have said it better myself. I don't really have a feeling for whether it was close or not, how do you determine that without any infos/data?
@Spoony_Tech: While I agree on the last part, I disagree with the first one.

Sure, strategically, it's wise to ink your half quickly and not too thoroughly and then contain the other team at their base. That's the best possible scenario. But it only works if your team acts in concert, which rarely is the case in Turf War (in comparison to ranked). So in my opinion the best thing to do is observing your teammates and correcting their errors (whether it's leaving something out, not inking the enemy's half or not pushing the enemy back when your team is in a good position).
But in the end, none of that might matter, because even if the other team is leading by a long shot, you can still turn it around in the last minute or sometimes even in the 30 seconds, if the other team becomes complacent.

I don't find Splatfests comparable to ranked battles at all. Turf War in its self is just a very simple and easy mode, no matter how good or bad the players are (sure, good players raise the difficulty a bit, but only marginally, like 5%). Turf War is the everybody-wins mode, because you never lose anything, but you always win XP. I still find Splatfests very calm and relaxing, because Turf War is calm and relaxing. Sure, in some matches there are exceptionally good players that you take notice of, like during the pineapple Splatfest there was one and I told DaGreen, who was playing with me, something like "Woa, that guy could be an S rank player or at least A, you gotta watch out for him!" and he immediately agreed because that guy already had splatted him too. ^^ But that doesn't happen often, although I've been mostly playing during nights where the opposition was indeed stronger than during the day. Still rarely a real challenge.

Essentially, for me Turf War has become the training mode, where I try out new weapons, or clear my gear slots or where I go when I have almost 30000p and just need a few more points. I wouldn't even be playing the Splatfests if the reward wouldn't be sea snails. That's easy to prove: I didn't participate in the first Splatfests because I didn't know you get more sea snails for that.

Sometimes when I'm not in the mood, I just avoid everyone else and go paint some turf somewhere on my own. I still win often enough that way, without giving it much effort. Yesterday, before the Splatfest, I played a few rounds of TW because Piranha Pit was in the rotation and there was one lost match in particular, that I'll never forget. For the first time ever, I scored more points than the winning team - including the win bonus! I had 1000-something p and the best players from the other team had 900-something - with the 300p already included. I'd say that's more likely due to the other team not playing well (although they scored a close win) than to be playing exceptionally good, which I surely didn't because I almost always score about 1000 points in TW (I wish you would get XP for each 200p, not just for 400p in total). At least with a high-firerate-gun like the Splash-o-matic. Low-firerate-guns are just not made for TW if you ask me.

And although this time's theme wasn't as awful as the last ones, I still have to complain. Just once I'd like them to come up with a really good theme, meaning one where you can't be stuck because you want both. A choice between two things that rule the other out. You can want to become rich AND fit (which I want both), you can neither like nor dislike pineapple on pizza (which I do) you can like dogs and cats (which I do), you can like or dislike ghosts and zombies alike (which I do) etc. Not once was there something where I said to myself "There's no other option for me than that one".

Edited on by shani

DreamyViridi

Ah well... I still had a good time and got some pity Sea Snails.
Lesson learned; if you're it in for the Sea Snails; play at night as soon as the Splatfest starts.

Mario Maker Levels

Grumblevolcano

I was definitely getting a sense of the Aerosprays being way overpowered. I know this is old territory but because I didn't really focus on the single player until recently I didn't get them until a few days ago.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic