LzWinky

Less chatter!
More splatter!
Complain less!
Make a mess!
There is only one way to settle this!
Splat lots of ink with pure bliss!

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

shani

@yokokazuo: Lol what?! That's really strange... maybe they should let the users vote in a poll before determining a Splatfest theme. Or maybe they could make a Splatfest about two different Splatfest themes for the next Splatfest.
@LztheQuack: Nice.

My GOTY? Legend Of Zelda: Splat of the child. Ah no, I meant LoZ: Breath of the SPLATOOOON!

NLInklings Discord server | My Youtube channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-3298-8343-1900 | Nintendo Network ID: shani_ace | Twitter:

Maxz

In Rainmaker, what are people's general strategies? Do you prefer to try and clear the field of the opposing team before progressing, or do you try grab the rainmaker as fast as you can and escape through any available opening?

I'd heard people comparing it to American Football (or as I believe it's called in America, 'Football'), in that you should repeatedly try to grab to and run, grab and run, and take any incremental steps forward as a small victory. However, I didn't find this particularly effective in general (apart from the odd lucky break), and it was slightly boring because I spent so much time respawning. I dropped from A 60 to A- 30, and only managed to regain the points once the mode switched to good old Splat Zones.

Anyway, I'd like to hear your takes.

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

shani

Maxz wrote:

In Rainmaker, what are people's general strategies? Do you prefer to try and clear the field of the opposing team before progressing, or do you try grab the rainmaker as fast as you can and escape through any available opening?

Both, depending on the situation. Although this dual method only developed after I had played RM for a long time, so judging the situation and choosing the right approach takes some experience, I would say.

When I see the opportunity, I sometimes I go into the enemy base and ink the way for the next attack, sometimes I stay with the RM and try to protect him. But most of the time I'm the RM-bearer myself (that's also something what distinguishes players from each other: some are better as the RM-bearer, some are better as support and some can do both). And then I try to assess the situation which depends on several factors (not in this order):

• how good is the impression the enemy made so far (and how good does your team play?)
  • which map are we on, does it have good shortcuts etc
  • how does the map actually look like on the Gamepad? Is there maybe a clear path?
  • am I alone or are there some teammates defending me (and inking the way)?
  • what's the score and how much time do we have?
  • how many players on the enemy side are dead right now?

Of course a lot of these factors are extremely time-sensitive, so I usually don't think about them consciously, but rather act on instinct/experience. But these are some of the key questions I ask myself subconsciously in RM.

Depending on that quick evaluation, I either stay back and let my teammates clear the way or I play more offensively and take the American Football (in my opinion it's also similar to football - what the American's call "soccer") approach. Of course the latter choice makes more sense when there is a shortcut or a long, cleared way in your team's colour. Or when the score is really close and there are only a few seconds left, for example.

It really depends on those factors and I think the best strategy is to use all different tactical approaches depending on the situation.

The most important thing that players forget - in my opinion, especially as the RM-bearer - is to put one defender behind the RM-bearer. Because often your teammates all run in front of you, maybe because they want to shield you from front attacks, I don't know. But again and again it happens that one of the enemies sneaks past them or even takes a detour to get behind the RM-bearer and kill him easily. I myself stopped adversarial attacks that way and I always wonder why no one covers the back of the RM-bearer.

Edited on by shani

My GOTY? Legend Of Zelda: Splat of the child. Ah no, I meant LoZ: Breath of the SPLATOOOON!

NLInklings Discord server | My Youtube channel

Switch Friend Code: SW-3298-8343-1900 | Nintendo Network ID: shani_ace | Twitter:

LzWinky

First Splatfest battle was a sweeping victory for the Naughty squad

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

LzWinky

As for the Rainmaker question, it depends on the stage. I prefer to be the back up for the Rainmaker holder. My weapon (slosher) is very offensive and can cover a lot of area

Spoony_Tech

I'll be on for team naughty in about 30 minutes so if you see Spoony don't leave the room!

Edited on by Spoony_Tech

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

LzWinky

3-2 right now. I'm switching weapons to something super offensive

Spoony_Tech

Splatfest's use to be laid back and easy going but if you don't play them almost like ranked then you will lose more often then win. Especially since a lot of kids qpuldnt be on right now.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

LzWinky

Well my team has had 3 total dominations in a row. I think I'm fine

MasterWario

@Maxz: You say boring, but if I get that oh so pivotal lead by charging forward with the RM and making a crazy play, I am laughing the entirety of my death timer and beyond. It's so worth it for me, I will play a slog-fest of a RM for the entire 5 minutes just to get a crazy victory play in.

I'd say always truck it forward if you can get a lead out of it, then play defensive. But unlike football where the football runner (what's that called?) charges into the middle of everyone (I don't know why they do that), I'd say throw off the enemy team and try to sneak around somewhere. And especially, grab the RM when no one expects it.

The other thing is I try to always keep the other team off the Rainmaker. If they have, it splat them even if it means you die, and if the shield has been popped, grab it just so the shield can reset. Because logically, if you have the lead and they never have the RM, they cannot possibly win. You never know what the enemy will pull out of their hat, but they cannot do anything so long as they don't have the Rainmaker.

I won a game today where I hid in the corner and the entire enemy team went to kill my team...well they left a RM open, shield popped, and I grabbed and ran towards the base. I didn't win right then and there, but my team quickly super-jumped to me and we finished it off. Needless to say I was laughing way too much.

It's not the best strategy I'm sure, but it's my strategy. And I do stay flexible, like if my teammates are good at X, support them instead.

Wow that's a crazy bunch of paragraphs I just wrote...guess I'm excited work's finally done.

Edited on by MasterWario

I would have never guessed Weezing was so useful until I played a HeartGold Nuzlocke!
My YouTube Channel! Video game related, of course!
My Pushmo Levels

3DS Friend Code: 2836-0589-3371 | Nintendo Network ID: MasterWario

Spoony_Tech

All the way to champion and only lost twice to the nice team. I did lose one naughty vs naughty though. That's the first same team vs same team I've done in the last like 7 Splatfest's. Overall we rocked and I felt sorry for the other team.....well maybe not.

MERG said:

LzWinky

17-14 for me tonight. I am a Naughty Champion as well. Battles went back and forth for me

ELI-ASH

I had a rough start but i got a great streak eventually. I made to Naughty Queen solely with the Splattershot JR. I think im ready for rank with my bubble buddy ^^ I did have 1 odd Naughty V Naughty match.. I guess Naughty is probably winning the pop vote 0.O its too early to tell anyways once the youngins wake up maybe Nice will retake it

My Youtube channel Now streaming via youtube gaming. O_O My backloggery
PSN:ELI-ASH

Switch Friend Code: SW-2622-8275-6903 | 3DS Friend Code: 0903-3818-6753 | Nintendo Network ID: lielie112

Maxz

Thanks for all your feedback. I'd like to say it's very enlightening, but I don't think I'm entitled to use that word until I put it into practice and get to grips with it. It's really thoughtful and interesting though, and I hope I'll be able to use it to improve. It seems particularly nuanced, and less predictable that SZ and TC. At least the Splat Zones don't move, and though the Tower does move, it's at a constant speed and in a linear path.

I only say boring, because repeatedly using any strategy that you don't really understand can be frustrating, and if you're constantly jumping in and being killed without knowing what's going on, then you spend half the match spawning, and the other half just hoping the way forward is clear.

I'm generally happier in a supporting role, so I'll look to base my strategies largely around this, whilst keeping all the other aspects and opportunities in mind.

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

LzWinky

ELI-ASH wrote:

I had a rough start but i got a great streak eventually. I made to Naughty Queen solely with the Splattershot JR. I think im ready for rank with my bubble buddy ^^ I did have 1 odd Naughty V Naughty match.. I guess Naughty is probably winning the pop vote 0.O its too early to tell anyways once the youngins wake up maybe Nice will retake it

Nice guys will finish last. Duh

crimsontadpoles

I'm surprised that there was no announcement for a EU Splatfest when I played it today. Carrie and Marie usually announce it a week in advance in the EU.

It would be very unfair if they don't do a EU Splatfest soon since the US always have theirs a week earlier, and they'll have an extra one once they've finished it today.

My Anime List
I want you to make contracts with me and become magical girls!

Switch Friend Code: SW-5487-8712-2210 | 3DS Friend Code: 2165-5759-7889 | Nintendo Network ID: crimsontadpoles

wisdomsprince

Nintendo does a 10 hour server maintenance and now im ddisconnected after ever match. Only restarting the console fixes it. Good job idiots. Knowing Nintendo this won't be fixed for months

Follow me on twitch (wisdomsprince) fully 60FPS 1080P Nintendo goodness

Twitter:

jariw

crimsontadpoles wrote:

I'm surprised that there was no announcement for a EU Splatfest when I played it today. Carrie and Marie usually announce it a week in advance in the EU.

There was an NoE Splatfest a week ago, and the last NoA splatfest was 3 weeks ago. You should expect an announcement one week from now.

wisdomsprince wrote:

Nintendo does a 10 hour server maintenance and now im ddisconnected after ever match. Only restarting the console fixes it. Good job idiots. Knowing Nintendo this won't be fixed for months

Sounds more like you're on WiFi and the connection to a router got out of sync, or something. Or do you seriously believe each and every Splatoon player has the same connection issue as you?

jariw

Blue_Blur

I could only play a few matches so far, but my score is 11-0 in favor of Team Naughty! Muhaha!

I really want to win this Splatfest... I need Sea Snails! XD ...I also want to win another Splatfest because so far I've only won 2... a little disappointing.

Splatoon Rank: S+
Splatoon 2 Ranks: SZ: S+ / TC: S+ / RM: S+ / CB: S+

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic