Forums

Topic: Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE - OT

Posts 821 to 840 of 1,096

CanisWolfred

Honestly, they're probably just trying to do as much as possible to avoid an M-rating, considering the outfits and immature sexual themes that in Japan would simply be considered silly would probably be the only reason it would get a rating like that. Nintendo has been publicly put on a spit by pundants for less offensive content, as have games that handled sexual situations in more mature ways, so I can at least understand why they'd want to be wary.

Then again, I highly doubt anyone - neither Nintendo, Intelligent Systems, Atlus, Sega, the fans; ANYbody would've thought this game would the result of a partnership between two well-respected japanese properties whose fans had come to appreciate how thoughtful and mature they can be, both on an artistic and mechanical level - At least when they made the decision to let the dev team do as they pleased with remarkably little supervision, by all accounts. I guess if people are gonna cause a fuss over some sexy costumes or some hotsprings fanservice, it might be better if the game in question didn't give off the distinct impression that a grown man ate a box of crayons, and then threw up all over their monitor while AKB48 played in the backround.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

yokokazuo

I think the main reason it was changed is because of all the little holes on her dress since it doesn't look like she is wearing anything underneath the dress. It is more noticeable in the scene where she is talking with Itsuki though.
That said I think the way it was done does make it look a little strange. It just appears to have been recoloured so her "skin" looks white on the areas that have been covered as well. I think it could have been changed slightly to look better, but I assume it was done this way so that in a scene where it was animated, it would just be a simple colour swap for the scene.

yokokazuo

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6707-5664 | Nintendo Network ID: yokokazuo

yokokazuo

For those that want to compare for themselves, the scene from the English trailer can be found in here

Starts at 18:05
This is one of the last side stories in the game so I wouldn't recommend watching other parts if you don't want to be spoiled. (And if you know Japanese, some parts are also spoiled during this scene as well)

yokokazuo

SLIGEACH_EIRE

That video makes the censorship even worse. It was completely needless.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

whodatninja

SLIGEACH_EIRE wrote:

Nintendo have been very quiet about this game. And when that happens, it's usually a worrying sign. They probably want to keep the true extent of how much this game has been censored from people so that pre orders aren't cancelled or turn people off.

Other companies like NIS America that localizes JP games at least say up front with what they "alter" and why they do it, but not Nintendo.

Edited on by whodatninja

whodatninja

Nintendo Network ID: whodatninja117

jump

More screenshots coming in...

Untitled

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

martinskrtel37

a girls dress was covered up a bit, is that going to change gameplay? i don't think i've ever been bothered by not being able to see some of a video game characters chest and neck before.

Octane wrote:

everyone needs to relax and enjoy the games that are released today and stop worrying what Nintendo will do in a year or two from now.

3DS Friend Code: 0130-1906-5039 | Nintendo Network ID: martinskrtel37

Ralizah

I'm done worrying about this. The game is getting censored beyond belief, and we'll probably find even more censored stuff when it actually releases.

What it comes down to is this: I don't want to support a release this butchered, but I also don't want to miss out on one of Atlus' incredible JRPGs, so I'm going to buy this used.

@Spoony_Tech Atlus, left to their own devices, is pretty good about not censoring their games. You might get a modesty edit or two, but it's far and away from the extremes Nintendo has been going to. Also, Atlus' PR guy has basically come out and said that this is all on Nintendo.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

Spoony_Tech

@Ralizah I believe it. Atlus would never take this much localization time to make all these changes. Somebody has to be pulling the strings.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Ralizah

@Spoony_Tech At this point, I think we can expect censorship in any non-first party Japanese game published by Nintendo.

Other than Bayonetta, of course. Nintendo gave Platinum the go-ahead to make the bonus Nintendo costumes for Bayonetta as sexual as they wanted. Sometimes I wonder if the higher ups at Nintendo are consulting one of those Magic 8-Balls to make their decisions for them.

Edited on by Ralizah

Spoony_Tech

@Ralizah I think it's pretty clear why this is getting censored so badly, it's the only game they can market for the next 4 months till Color Splash comes out. They couldn't push an M rated game to kids and I still can't see how anyone under the age of 13 would even care about this game regardless of the changes or not. I truly believe if say Star Fox had come out near the same time as this we wouldn't see all these changes as they wouldn't need it as bad. If I were Atlus I would strongly reconsider any more partnerships with Nintendo for a very long time.

I'm willing to bet we will here from the Atlus side of things in a year or two how this partnership didn't go well from day one. It's one thing for Nintendo to do what they did with bayonetta and basically buy the rights to the game but it's another thing entirely to loan a franchise or characters to a 3rd party for a new game.

John 8:7 He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

MERG said:

If I was only ever able to have Monster Hunter and EO games in the future, I would be a happy man.

I'm memory of @Mr_Trill_281 (rip) 3-25-18

Switch Friend Code: SW-7353-2587-4117 | 3DS Friend Code: 3050-7580-4390 | Nintendo Network ID: SpoonyTech | Twitter:

Ralizah

@Spoony_Tech My understanding is that this game was a bit of a flop in Japan, so I doubt we'll be seeing any kind of collaboration like this again for a long time.

I bet this is one of those games that'll end up being a cult curiosity years down the line.

yokokazuo

♯FE will be on Treehouse Live today! No time has been announced yet, I assume it may appear some time between Monster Hunter and Rhythm Heaven or after Rhythm Heaven.
Monster Hunter starts at 12:45 Pacific and Rhythm Heaven starts at 3:50pm Pacific.

yokokazuo

SLIGEACH_EIRE

The second day of Treehouse Live has been very disappointing. Nearly 3 hours straight of 3DS with not a single mention of WiiU. I don't know why I'm waiting here for ages to see footage of this game when it's done nothing but p1$$ me off.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

SLIGEACH_EIRE

The Treehouse presentation wasn't the best. They raced through everything. They didn't mention that it was subtitled only, no English dub. Some of the cutscenes are very cringey. The game's out in barely over a week and that bloody Fortissimo Edition still isn't available anywhere. And I will not pay €80+ if it does become available.

SLIGEACH_EIRE

mjharper

The Treehouse stream was a little disappointing for me too, but I think it's more of a situation where they were wanting to avoid spoilers, and I've already learned enough about the game that nothing is news to me except what could be considered spoilers. That said, it did seem like Nintendo had its Treehouse B team taking us through what the game's about, and no one who worked on the game (the original or the localization) was there to field questions about the design or direction. Then again, this is a niche game in a niche genre that had poor sellthrough of a moderate to low supply of shipments in Japan, where the game should've had its most appeal. Why invest coverage and time into something that won't have the returns of something like Paper Mario or Pokemon Go?

All that said, I'm still really looking forward to picking up my preorder next week and sinking my teeth into TMS#FE's battle system.

mjharper

Switch Friend Code: SW-1710-0829-4896

Socar

@Kazuo I watched footage of the game.....can you please tell me how the game plays? Because I have no idea what is going on in that game as I was trying to understand how the game plays.

After so long...I'm back. Don't ask why

Nintendo Network ID: ArtwarkSwark | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.