Forums

Topic: Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE - OT

Posts 741 to 760 of 1,096

martinskrtel37

SLIGEACH_EIRE wrote:

This is a game that bombed in Japan, has been lazily translated, censored, is charging for DLC packs on day 1 and they expect us to pay €80+ for that privilege?

so why do you want a game that bombed in japan and has been lazily translated?

i want to want this game, i think it'll work better on 3DS though, or maybe i just prefer these kinda games on 3DS. i think it'd be a little start-stop on console and it might get boring. but i'm willing to buy it, if only because for some reason i love buying and supporting fire emblem stuff

Edited on by martinskrtel37

Octane wrote:

everyone needs to relax and enjoy the games that are released today and stop worrying what Nintendo will do in a year or two from now.

3DS Friend Code: 0130-1906-5039 | Nintendo Network ID: martinskrtel37

komodo182

@Tops I'm in the same boat. I preordered it. I love fire emblem, but this does not seem like fire emblem whatsoever...

Switch Friend Code: SW-6361-0099-3716

Andyliini

AFAIK, they never promised anyone it would be a Fire Emblem game...

Dunno how I feel.

Nintendo Network ID: Andyliini | Twitter:

komodo182

@Andyliini probably my fault. I assumed it would relate to fire emblem since it has it in the name....I have a month to think about if I want to keep my preorder or not.

yokokazuo

Earlier in this forum I posted my thoughts on the game so I can quote it here if anyone wants me to, but I also posted in the Fire Emblem series discussion thread talking about what is from Fire Emblem and a couple other things which I will post here too.

"There are the mirages from Shadow Dragon and Awakening such as Chrom, Caeda, Cain, Tharja, Virion, Draug and Navarre who also have their personalities from their own game as well. Then there is also the combat system which I absolutely love. It's like a JRPG where you take turns attacking with options to use skills, defend and use items as well. But then there are the Fire Emblem elements where the weapon triangle is added in which can also help lead to session attacks and there are also status effects such as poison, berserk, etc. There are also special skills that do better against certain enemies like horse killer which is good against mounted cavaliers and ones good against knights and wyverns too. Also some of the Carnages (weapons) that you can get are based off of Fire Emblem. Tsurugi for example, who's mirage is Navarre, originally wields the killing edge which gives him a higher critical hit. Some other ones that can be obtained are Sol Katti and also Mercurius for Itsuki.
Aside from combat there are also various nods to the Fire Emblem series and also all of the boss enemies are characters from Shadow Dragon/Awakening. In one side story, you need to obtain a certain item for one of the characters and this item has Gaius in the name of it and also has the panda (or whatever it is) face design on it like his suckers.
Speaking of side stories, they are one of my favourite parts of the game. They tend to give some back story on many of the characters and can be very interesting or funny at times. A lot of them also tend to do with mirages who are closely related to the main ones in some way."

I really did enjoy the game though and I think that as long as you also enjoy JRPG's, then you will love this, especially if you are a Fire Emblem fan.

yokokazuo

3DS Friend Code: 1418-6707-5664 | Nintendo Network ID: yokokazuo

komodo182

@Kazuo Thanks for the info.
JRPGs are hit or miss with me. I enjoy certain ones like most of the final fantasy series and Bravely Default + Second. However, many do not stick with me like Persona or the Etrian Odyssey games. So its legit, 50% 50% chance either way haha

yokokazuo

@komodo182 ah, I see haha.
I actually haven't played many JRPG's before so I wasn't sure if I would enjoy it or not. But after playing it, I really did enjoy it and I think the gameplay mainly seemed similar to the Mario and Luigi series. (Of the games I have played before) I have also made the comparison to Child of Light which I don't have, but the part at the top where you take turns attacking reminded me of how it is in TMS.
When you get to a dungeon, enemies will randomly appear which you can hit with your sword to stun them and if you initiate the fight from there then you can get an extra turn to attack. Also your options during a battle are: Attack (a basic, weak attack with no special properties, but can do more damage if you have a weapon advantage. Or less if you have a disadvantage), Defend (I believe you take less damage when doing this and you gain 2 MP each time), Skill (Uses the MP meter, similar to Bros Attacks, there are various skills you can use which have various effects like inflicting status effects, powerful moves, raising/lowering defence/attack, etc.), Item (use an item such as one that heals), Change (switch your character out, Itsuki must stay in though), Run (run away, but it isn't a 100% guarantee, especially with harder enemies).

yokokazuo

komodo182

@Kazuo That sounds better than I thought. The trailers have turned me off of the game. I need to see some actual gameplay sometime.

yokokazuo

@komodo182 here is an English video by Nintendaan

There is a bit of dialogue at the start, but other than that there isn't really much that contains spoilers so you can mainly just watch some battles.

Edited on by yokokazuo

yokokazuo

komodo182

Thanks for the info

JaxonH

@SLIGEACH_EIRE
"This is a game that bombed in Japan, has been lazily translated, censored, is charging for DLC packs on day 1 and they expect us to pay €80+ for that privilege"

1) Whether it sold well in Japan or not is irrelevant- it may have bombed but it was also praised as the best game of the year by one of their publications- sales don't necessarily reflect how fun the game is

2) I wouldn't say the translation is lazy- The translation seems as good as any other JRPG nowadays- they are speaking English in complete sentences and I can understand what they're saying so it can't be all that bad

3) It's definitely been censored and I think we've all vented our feelings about that one, but censored cleavage in a small handful of shots doesn't make it a bad game. It pisses me off, but it doesn't make it a bad game

4) in case you forgotten this game released in Japan first so the DLC that released after the game is now already developed. Should they purposely withhold the DLC from us for 3 months and just pretend it isn't ready yet? That makes absolutely no sense.

I was one of the first to jump on this game for the censorship but statements like that seem extremely biased, as if you're looking for any reason you can to illegitimize the game

Edited on by JaxonH

All have sinned and fall short of Gods glory. Wages of sin is death. Romans

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

JaxonH

@Haru17
I believe you are taking my words out of context. Why?

Here is what I actually said

"That's not a bad trailer. The DJ thing is meh but, this trailer does actually explain the game quite well."

The actual gameplay shown gives a good representation of what the game is, regardless of how goofy the narrator is.

God so loved the world He sent His only Son- whoever believes on Him has eternal life. Unless you believe, you will die in your sins. Whoever believes, rivers of living water flow within them. John

yokokazuo

@JaxonH actually, I believe the DLC was available day one in Japan too. While I didn't get any (aside from Atlus costumes which came with every game in a download code at least for a little while), they were all available in the Fortissimo Edition like in NA/Europe.

Edited on by yokokazuo

yokokazuo

JaxonH

@Kazuo

A complaint then for JP gamers to make perhaps, but either way it's developed now at the time of western release.

But even so, a lot of games have DLC day one now. Especially AAA and JRPG games. It is what it is. I have no issue with DLC day one. As long as it's not a 20 hour expansion and the game is coincidentally 20 hours short. A couple costumes and/or missions? A drop in the bucket.

Edited on by JaxonH

yokokazuo

@JaxonH yeah, it isn't really anything major at least and I wasn't compelled to buy any. I played on the normal difficulty in my first play through and didn't see any need for any of it.

yokokazuo

SLIGEACH_EIRE

@JaxonH "2) I wouldn't say the translation is lazy- The translation seems as good as any other JRPG nowadays- they are speaking English in complete sentences and I can understand what they're saying so it can't be all that bad"

You couldn't have heard any English because there is none. There is no English dubbed voice acting. There's only English subtitles. Everything else is in Japanese. So yes it is lazy.

Fairly sure the DLC was there day 1 in Japan. DLC is supposed to be charging for content that is developed post release. Not deliberately keeping content back to try and charge extra from customers.

Edited on by SLIGEACH_EIRE

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

JaxonH

@SLIGEACH_EIRE
Didn't say I physically heard English voices. I was referring to the translation itself. When you read what they're saying, language is being communicated. I would have much preferred an English dub but, it is what it is. Considering the game's sales (as you pointed out) I don't think the cost justifies the investment. Do you?

Whether the DLC was day 1 in Japan or not is irrelevant to us. The fact is, it is ready now at the time of western release. As I was telling Kazuo, that's something Japanese gamers may have wanted to gripe about but for us it makes no difference. Either it's developed and ready at the time of Western release or it's not. And the fact of the matter is, it's ready, so why hold off on releasing it?

But even so, it doesn't have to be developed post-release to be developed after the game itself is finished. That little DLC probably took a day to develop, a week at most. They could've easily finished the game and then in the 4 months before release they could've developed those little costumes and what not. Doesn't mean the game wasn't already finished when they made it. Particularly when you're talking about DLC is negligible and meaningless as this. Now, if it were a 20 hour expansion, released day one, and the game was noticeably short then there would be something to complain about.

Maxz

I think using the phrase "lazily translated" to mean "not dubbed" is inaccurate, or at least misleading. It's not a question of translation; it's a question of whether or not a translation has been read aloud.

One place it could be appropriate, however, is in the lack of translations for the in-battle dialogue - especially as some of it seems vaguely useful. The characters appear to acknowledge things like encounters with unfamiliar monsters - which the player likely already knows - but it's a relevant bit of information to have spoken. The in-battle dialogue also adds a bit of colour and camaraderie to the battle, which might leave the player feeling excluded if untranslated.

I'm very interested to see how this game gets reviewed in the West. Nearly all the talk it's attracted has been about its window dressing, with few words given to the gameplay itself. Yes, it looks unashamedly otaku-centric - that's something I (and seemingly a lot of other people) - initially found quite offputting, but I'm genuinely curious to see how it's received as a complete gaming package.

That Nintendaan video was a little more illuminating. As @Kazuo reports, it does seem to share a fair few features with Mario & Luigi. In fact, I'd like to ask, @Kazuo, how frequently are you realistically expected to fight battles, and how does this effect the pace of the game? In that video, Nintendaan seemed determined to fight everything in his path, but is that really necessary? It seems you can run past the enemies, but I wonder how much that penalises you for not acquiring the resulting EXP.

It seems like it took him a very long time to not make a whole lot of progress, which is concerning...

Edited on by Maxz

My Mario Maker Bookmark Page
Spla2oon Ranks: SZ: X | TC: X | RM: X | CB: X
HAVE BEEN ENJOY A BOOM

Switch Friend Code: SW-5609-8195-9688 | Nintendo Network ID: Maxzly | Twitter:

yokokazuo

@Maxz hmm, well you definitely need to fight some enemies.
I can't remember exactly how much I did fight, but I think I did fight most enemies that appeared and skipped a few too. As I progressed through the dungeons, I didn't have too much of a problem except when I ran into Wild Enemies (they have a different name in English, but I kind of forget...) which are always several levels above yours and can be tough to beat.
Overall I think facing most of the enemies while skipping a few of them will give you enough exp for the boss of the dungeon for the most part. I think in one I tended to skip a lot of enemies, but then I felt under levelled against the boss so I had to grind a little bit more in order to beat them. The bosses generally tend to be pretty tough though which is kind of nice though since it provides a good challenge. I think as long as you are around 5 levels below their's or higher, then they shouldn't be too much of a problem. Some bosses were a pain to deal with at times however, a general that I faced had a bunch of defence and health so it took me 27 turns to finally defeat. On average I think they are usually around 10-15 for the most part though. (I don't remember for sure since I didn't save any screenshots that show which turn I was on except for the example I gave earlier since it seemed to take awhile)

I think I kind of went off on a tangent there haha

TL;DR: so long as you don't skip too many battles, you should be fine for the most part.

Also doing side stories would probably help a lot since you have to fight some tough enemies in most of them so they can give some much needed exp at times. Otherwise you would probably need to grind more. The side stories are really good though so I would recommend doing them as you progress if you're strong enough anyways.

Edited on by yokokazuo

yokokazuo

yokokazuo

@Pahvi yeah, for the most part I didn't really need to do so as long as I fought most of the enemies that appeared in the dungeon. It seems fairly balanced in my opinion with the number of enemies you generally fight without grinding in a dungeon as you make your way to the boss and the bosses level once you reach them.

I did play on normal however so it may be needed more on hard. You can switch between easy, normal and hard at any time by the way.

Somewhat spoiler related to one thing you are able to do after beating the game.

I am currently playing on hard, but after beating the game, you can replay it with your same stats which I chose to move through it quickly in order to unlock everything since you will need to beat it a few times to do so. I may just wait for the NA release to do that though.

Edited on by yokokazuo

yokokazuo

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.