Forums

Topic: Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE - OT

Posts 161 to 180 of 1,096

AceDefective

I think most of the negativity and people proclaiming "this doesn't look like SMT/FE!" need to step back and analyze the trailer really well.
I have a feeling this game is less crossover in the traditional sense in more in the "two different thing become one" way.
The FE side is definitely present with the character classes(?) and cameos of other characters; where SMT comes in through gameplay for the most part, taking a /teeny/ bit of influence from the Persona side of things. Demons look to be the enemies, and the player characters look to represent the FE units. Keep in mind this probably isn't scratching the surface when it comes to what this game could be, as all we saw about two (very selective gameplay-wise) minutes of what looks to be huge package. We will never know until more info is dropped.

Just some random loser who loves a variety of things.
Youtube Channel | Deviant ART | YoYo Games account |

3DS Friend Code: 2079-6493-1326 | Nintendo Network ID: ZeroZX_Dev | Twitter:

LzWinky

It looks new. That in itself is appealing to me

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

Kaze_Memaryu

@ZeroZX-Dev These trailers are supposed to give us a first impression, and this one was a mixed bag. On one hand, the characters and battles we saw seemed pretty cool, but at the same time, it's extremely alienating since it neither resembles Fire Emblem nor anything from Shin Megami Tensei (maybe Digital Devil Saga, but only remotely). The issue is that a crossover is supposed to deliver something to fans of both sides of the roster, which simply didn't happen here. Frankly, if the project title wasn't SMTxFE, many probably wouldn't even have noticed that it's supposed to be a crossover.
The trailer didn't get me as a FE fan, and it didn't get me as a SMT fan - it only got me as a fan of everything japan, and that's it. And while I don't think the game is going to be bad, it's pretty sad that it already misses the point of a crossover: recognizability.

Edited on by Kaze_Memaryu

<insert title of hyped game here>

Check some instrumental Metal: CROW'SCLAW | IRON ATTACK! | warinside/BLANKFIELD |

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6640-0089 | Nintendo Network ID: KazeMemaryu

CanisWolfred

It looks very much like Digital Devil Saga combined with Persona 4 and what we've seen of the upcoming Persona 5. The monster designs clearly come from SMT4's artist. It's definitely an SMT game. I agree that FE people might be disappointed, but then again, a lot of things people liked about Fire Emblem had more to do with the gameplay, which we know next to nothing about.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

shingi_70

On one hand I can understand why people wouldn't be hyped about the game after putting together what the two franchises mixing could be like, but on the other hand despite still having FE in the title this might as well be a new franchise. I think we should start just calling it Illusionary Revelation or IR to get the taste of FEXSMT out of out mouths.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

nacho_chicken

shingi_70 wrote:

On one hand I can understand why people wouldn't be hyped about the game after putting together what the two franchises mixing could be like, but on the other hand despite still having FE in the title this might as well be a new franchise. I think we should start just calling it Illusionary Revelation or IR to get the taste of FEXSMT out of out mouths.

The Japanese name is "Revelation of the Illusion ♯FE". I like Revelations: Fire Emblem.

Jack of all trades, master of some

Twitter:

AceDefective

@Kaze_Memaryu I think the problem people have with this is exactly what you described, but to taking into account what @CanisWolfred said also helps illustrate why people have this problem in the first place.
You aren't seeing the elements of what you (and many others) consider to make SMT or FE present in this trailer. Admittingly, this is because what you were looking for ended up not being used (or not in the way you expected). From what we saw the gameplay seems to be more SMT(spin-offs/sub-series included) oriented rather than the FE style (assuming that's what people wanted, guessing from the disappointed reactions I skimmed), with the FE side being more of a "theme"(ish) than having a gameplay presence (from what was shown). I going to assume people wanted/expected the reverse, only with more of SMT calling cards, basically sort of Devil Survivor. The (supposed) tone being really light hearted doesn't help with the lack of recognition either really.
Again. we only know so much. Who knows? Could be another SM3DW type reaction going on here: initial reaction being meh, then becoming "OMG SUPER HYPED" later.

Just some random loser who loves a variety of things.
Youtube Channel | Deviant ART | YoYo Games account |

3DS Friend Code: 2079-6493-1326 | Nintendo Network ID: ZeroZX_Dev | Twitter:

kkslider5552000

No matter what, this game will still be better than the console spinoff game that Advance Wars got.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Blast

If you're not a real JRPG fan then get out of this thread. We don't need people crying about the "lack of Fire Emblem or Shin Megami Tensei". This is the 1st real trailer and it already looks like a great JRPG. I'm almost positive its gonna become one of Japan's highly anticipated games. It won't top Final Fantasy XV but it'll be high on the list.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

kkslider5552000

Blast wrote:

If you're not a real JRPG fan then get out of this thread.

For the record, Fire Emblem fans are being silly, but using the term "real fan" makes anything you say afterwards invalid. Don't do that. Ever.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

MegaMari0

meh reaction from me. I'll reserve further reactions for when more info becomes available. It was finally about time they showed SOMETHING.

"When expecting booby traps, always send the boob in first." -Megatron-

3DS Friend Code: 3153-3802-3566 | Nintendo Network ID: coldfusion88

Offspring

My hate for the game has cooled but I'm still not considering actually buying it. First off, if the song from the trailer is indicative of the rest of soundtrack, I won't be able to play it. I had to mute it less than 10 seconds in and listen to some gloomy Alice in Chains' songs to counteract what that song was doing to my brain. Pop music causes me physical pain and no, I'm not overselling it. The minimal FE elements doesn't bother as much now but the odds of me playing a dating sim are about the same as Ted Cruz being elected President of the United States (if you don't know American politics that's 0%). The only thing that can sell me on this game is if I can play as Ike the whole time.

Bathe in the glory of The Offspring:
Smash
Self-Esteem
Gone Away

Fire Emblem is Nickelback.
I am the artist formally known as "insert ...

mamp

My thoughts: Didn't learn much from the trailer. Since it's a new IP and will probably cost $60 I'll wait for the reviews. If it's good I'll play it and if it's not then I won't good day mates

The cat's the only cat who knows where it's at.
NNID: Muffin-Gun

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6586-7657

Faruko

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

Just saw the direct so sorry if I'm repeating a common sentiment but my hype for this game is kind of dead. Trailer was not what I was expecting at all and I'd really prefer if it was just Persona X Fire Emblem at this point.

Persona games are called shin megami tensei: persona by the way...

WiiU: FarukoSH
3DS FC: 4640-0256-4473
Steam: Farukool
PSN: Farukosh

nacho_chicken

Faruko wrote:

Only outside of Japan.

Jack of all trades, master of some

Twitter:

Muyounosuke

Faruko wrote:

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

Just saw the direct so sorry if I'm repeating a common sentiment but my hype for this game is kind of dead. Trailer was not what I was expecting at all and I'd really prefer if it was just Persona X Fire Emblem at this point.

only in the US and Europe and even then they haven't been refered that way since 2011 all current releases are just called Persona, and in Japan persona and devil survivor have the header as megami ibunroku not SMT.

also I just watched the trailer on the japanese direct looks like its slated for winter 2015 in japan

Edited on by Muyounosuke

Muyounosuke

Kaze_Memaryu

@ZeroZX-Dev That doesn't really matter. A crossover involves bringing existing characters of separate IP's together (sometimes alongside new characters) - this game, by definition, is simply a collaboration between ATLUS and Intelligent Systems, since only certain visual elements are supposed to be reminiscient of two franchises that never really had a consistent artstyle going to begin with. And as I said before, nothing about this trailer is reminiscent of either Fire Emblem or Shin Megami Tensei at all: not in style, not in characters, not in gameplay.

Muyounosuke wrote:

Faruko wrote:

Retro_on_theGo wrote:

only in the US and Europe and even then they haven't been refered that way since 2011 all current releases are just called Persona, and in Japan persona and devil survivor have the header as megami ibunroku not SMT.

also I just watched the trailer on the japanese direct looks like its slated for winter 2015 in japan

It's still official that every single game made by the MegaTen team is directly connected to the Megami Tensei universe, and that they all have some impact on other stories among the series. The recurring elements are part of every game they made so far (which is strong symbolism and complex character development). Japan simply already knows what is SMT and what isn't, so they receive different call headers to subcategorize them in some way (though it's really inconsistent and confusing).

Edited on by Kaze_Memaryu

<insert title of hyped game here>

Check some instrumental Metal: CROW'SCLAW | IRON ATTACK! | warinside/BLANKFIELD |

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6640-0089 | Nintendo Network ID: KazeMemaryu

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.