Forums

Topic: Tokyo Mirage Sessions ♯FE - OT

Posts 1,081 to 1,096 of 1,096

SMEXIZELDAMAN

How good is this game 1-10?

Check out SUBLIME GAMER, my YouTube Channel
God loves you

Kimyonaakuma

@SMEXIZELDAMAN I'd say that it's an 8 or 8.5.
If you don't know anything about Fire Emblem characters or Shin Megami Tensei then you might miss out some references. The gameplay is still really good though!

Kimyonaakuma

Late

@SMEXIZELDAMAN I agree with @Kimyonaakuma, though at the moment I could even give it a 9. I haven't finished it yet so that may change along the way. I really like the combat. The skills are mostly from Shin Megami Tensei so the battles are quite similar in that way to those games but the session mechanic which lets you attack an enemy with multiple characters, if you have the required skills, spices it up. You can use a skill that costs 5 SP that has a fire attribute and if another character has, let's say, Fire-Lance, he/she continues the attack with that skill without using extra SP, provided that the enemy had weakness to the skill you chose for the first character. You have 3 characters available in battle so you can build a combo with your session skills. For example, Itsuki uses Zio against an enemy that's weak to electricity, Kiria continues with Elec-Blizzard and Tsubasa finishes off with Ice-Lunge. You can also switch characters mid-battle with no cost to find the best character for each situation.

It's its, not it's.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8287-7444-2602 | Nintendo Network ID: LateXD

Kimyonaakuma

@Late The Session system is really good because it allows you cause more damage, but the enemies can do the same to you if they find your weakness.

My only criticisms for the game are that by the time you get all of the characters you are watching up to 6 session attacks for one normal attack, that makes battles last a lot longer than they probably should. My only other problems are that the inclusion of Fire Emblem characters makes no sense and is kind of messy, but my inner fanboy can look past that
More weapons would have been nice, by the time I reached the final chapter I had completed most of the weapons, so more would have been good. With that said it makes sense because having to leave a dungeon every few battles to make a new weapon would ruin the excitement of the end.

Kimyonaakuma

samus1818

I just bought this game! So far, I really like this game!

samus1818

SilverEdge92

TMS is definitely one of my favorite titles on the Wii U and fingers crossed that something good eventually comes out of those sequel rumors that were going around last year. What do you think are the odds of us getting TMS DLC in FE Warriors at some point?

SilverEdge92

Nintendo Network ID: SilverEdge92

NEStalgia

@SilverEdge92 I think the rumors were started by Tiki's VA saying she'd love to do another. Not sure that counts for much. But considering SMTV is a Switch exclusive, the engine's already there to do something else, and Atlus has a good relationship with Nintendo at this point so I wouldn't rule it out.

@DiscoGentleman I don't know, I can't think of another Nintendo series that would work with bizarre time warps, spirits, etc, etc. so well as FE. SMT in Metroid would....really just feel like SMT , We'd end up with Mario SMT Or Splatoon SMT. "Hurry, we need to get back to the weeb otaku music training center!" "Woomy!" just doesn't work quite so well as FE characters

NEStalgia

SilverEdge92

@NEStalgia
It was that plus Avex holding those curiously TMS-centric VA auditions (http://personacentral.com/rumor-tokyo-mirage-sessions-fe-sequel-possibly-works/), and Hitoshi Yamagami making an appearance at the Premium Live Concert back in May 2015 and saying that the possibility was being explored. (http://megamitensei.wikia.com/wiki/Tokyo_Mirage_Sessions_%E2%99%AFFE)
So there are more reasons to be optimistic about a sequel happening than to pessimistic about it; the only con against the idea is that TMS was an under-performing title on an under-performing console, and with the Switch on track to be more successful than the Wii U--if it isn't already--that's half the issue resolved right there. We just have to wait and see.

And I've always said I could see "Tokyo Mirage Sessions" becoming its own series and being the perfect solution to the issue of Nintendo franchises stuck in limbo, and they don't necessarily have to stick with music/entertain motifs if they do branch out with other franchise beyond Fire Emblem. They could explore themes and issues related to professional and underground racing alongside other athletics in a TMS #F-Zero for example.

SilverEdge92

Nintendo Network ID: SilverEdge92

NEStalgia

@SilverEdge92 Oh I hadn't heard about the interview with Yamagami. That's good news.

FWIW I think I recall them saying that TMS did outperform expectations. It didn't sell well by any stretch but with WiiU doing so badly their expectations were so low for such a niche game that the sales did manage to outperform.

I think a sequel will have to feature Western VA dubs though to have any chance of a Western success. I'm not sure if I can tolerate the forum whining from the subs v dubs crowd Though that's the one game I'd consider joining the subs ranks!

Interesting idea for the F-Zero realm....I could see that....but I also think the series would lose one of it's most selling hooks: The top notch Avex soundtrack. The music emphasis created a significant part of the game's overall feeling. Not to say they couldn't or wouldn't change it, but it might not be the sequel we hope for if so. IMO the FE characters were mostly throw-away and barely mattered to the game and story at all, with the exception of Tiki who completely stole the show

No Tiki, no buy! I want a donut.

NEStalgia

Fooligan

Aww man i wrote a pretty good post about how this series could team up with the Pokemon franchise for TMS# Pokemon but it didn't post. I think TMS# Kirby might work too. Ugh I don't feel like typing out the one i wrote again, just walk into my brain and see what I thought up and tell me how awesome that looked and sounded.

These pretzels are making me thirsty

"See, my damie, Pootie Tang don't wa-da-tah to the shama cow... 'cause thats a cama cama leepa-chaiii, dig?" - Pootie Tang

SMEXIZELDAMAN

@Fooligan looks inside Fooligan's brain. All he sees is grey matter, electrical impulses and the like, not ideas

Check out SUBLIME GAMER, my YouTube Channel
God loves you

NEStalgia

I don't know how it would work with the very cartoony characters. TMS has a "serious" vibe beneath all it's silliness. It "tries" to cover deep "look inside yourself" kind of themes like Persona, without getting quite so existential as SMT proper. I can't imagine doing that with Shadow Dedede mumbling in distorted audio themes about inner strength And soul searching the meaning of love from a purple shadow version of an electric rodent.......I think I'll stick with FE characters if I have any say in it

FZero could work though. Star Tropics could work. What about Mother 3? (Actually Mother would work excellently since it's the very same kind of soul searching theme on its own......but without Itoi on the writing I can't see it being permitted.)

Edited on by NEStalgia

NEStalgia

Fooligan

@SMEXIZELDAMAN I think you took a wrong turn and ended back in your own brain, man. It's a common mistake people make when they brain-hop for the first time. lol

These pretzels are making me thirsty

"See, my damie, Pootie Tang don't wa-da-tah to the shama cow... 'cause thats a cama cama leepa-chaiii, dig?" - Pootie Tang

kkslider5552000

NEStalgia wrote:

I can't imagine doing that with Shadow Dedede mumbling in distorted audio themes about inner strength And soul searching the meaning of love from a purple shadow version of an electric rodent

You completely sold me on this idea, ironically.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Kimyonaakuma

I'd rather just keep TMS an FE thing
I think the original wasn't a good mix of SMT and FE gameplay but the characters worked well in a way. The mirages had their personalities kind of simplified but Atlus seems to do that for crossovers.

I'm hoping for some TMS representation in FE Warriors but it seems unlikely as they aren't even giving a majority of FE fans well known characters as is. A few DLC packs with characters from smaller games would be nice. Maybe TMS #FE, The Cipher card game and maybe the new characters from Echoes?

Kimyonaakuma

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.