Wii U Forum

Topic: Smash Bros U, returning characters

Showing 1 to 15 of 15

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Neoproteus

1. Posted:

Since Namco is balancing Super Smash Bros U, we can expect some changes to how many existing characters work. Most will probably be subtle, but some not so subtle. How would you go about changing an existing character's moveset to either represent them in a more recent fashion, or balance them?

For example, Mario's down B was apparantly unsatisfactory in Melee because it was too strong, so they replaced it with the water pump, which is weak and near useless. Then galaxy came out and he no longer uses the water pump, which makes that move irrelevant to modern mario games. I think his down B should be a butt stomp, so he has a good option for coming down from above. His side B is still a good move, but because the animation is a cape, is also irrelevant, so the animation should be a tanooki suit, but essentiall do the same thing. The same changes apply to Luigi.

The Zelda team needs a bit of an overhaul as well. Link has always been seen as quick and nimble, so why there is a fast and slow version of him doesn't reflect his games very well anymore. If you want a slow version of Link, give his moveset to Ganondorf. It would certainly fit the king of evil better than being a clone of Captain Falcon. I have to admit though, I have grown attached to his B moveset, but his A moves all need to be replaced with something that uses a sword, or at least a Trident. Shiek is also no longer relevant, so having Zelda transform into her is a bad idea. Her Down B should instead be a Light Arrow (less powerful than the final smash of course), and her Final Smash something else. Since Shiek is gone, they could introduce Impa with her moveset, changing the Down B to a Deku Nut.

Samus has always been a bit clumsy in melee range moves, so hopefully they can introduce some short range plasma beam shots or something rather than her tactlessly shoving her gun into an enemy without firing. I wouldn't mind if some of her A moves were weak projectiles actually. Her bombs also need to hit the ground before exploding. Going off shortly after dropping in mid-air does nothing, and defeats the purpose of being a move to prevent her from beign juggled.

Pit does not need to be able to fly since he can already jump 5 times and glide. His side B should also not be infinite. His up be could very well be a shot straight up. Even though he can already do this, it would balance him a bit better and make an up shot easier to pull off.

Fox, Falco, and Wolf do not need to be seperate characters. Alternate costumes for Fox is fine.

There should be a female costume for the pokemon trainer. You wouldn't really even need to change the pokemon, just the trainer in the background.

There's my two cents. How would you change the movesets for veteran characters?

Neoproteus

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WildMan

2. Posted:

Aren't there already plenty of threads about Ssbu?

Mmm Chicken

3DS Friend Code: 1075-1253-2852

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Birthday_Boy

3. Posted:

If they are going to ballance characters, then the people who need the most ballancing are Pit, Meta Knight, Ike. Mario needs his Smash Down back because Mario's controls are supposed to feel like Ryu. (If you look at Mario's moves closely they are very similar to Street Fighter's Main Character)
Everyone else seems quite ballanced.

Edited on by Birthday_Boy

Past Names: Koops3, Klyo, Whirlpool, Titanics
If you're looking for a good Miiverse profile, do I have one for you!

3DS Friend Code: 4897-5952-1236 | Nintendo Network ID: Kyloctopus | Twitter: Kyloctopus

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Neoproteus

4. Posted:

joker94 wrote:

Aren't there already plenty of threads about Ssbu?

I searched the first few pages, and didn't find any but the cafe thread and one specifically saying it wasn't about the characters. So, I didn't think this would be too redundant.

Neoproteus

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Cyb3Rnite

5. Posted:

roi pls
Even if he's just a skin for Marth.

Edited on by Cyb3Rnite

"I've learned to fear the white lady. She does not gain power. Instead, she destroys yours."

3DS Friend Code: 4554-0880-9460 | Nintendo Network ID: Cyb3Rnite

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WingedSnagret

6. Posted:

sushifreAk wrote:

Roy pls
Even if he's just a skin for Marth.

I've seen the new artwork for him in Awakening. Doesn't look like Marth at all now! :D

I do think Mario using a ground pound as a down special is a good idea, but Bowser and Yoshi both already have the same move, so it would be rather repetitive. Plus, just because certain characters don't appear in games anymore, does not mean that they are irrelevant. After all, how long has it been since Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., or the Ice Climbers had their own games? And yet they have appeared since Melee (except R.O.B.).

Oh, and Pit only jumps three times. :p

Biggest Pikmin fan on NL!

Avian fact of the week: The Moa, an extinct relative of ostrichs and emus that inhabited New Zealand, was the tallest bird that ever lived at 12 ft tall (3.6 m). It was also the only known bird to have no wing structure.

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Norfair

7. Posted:

I just don't want them to screw up Fox and it does not seem possible that they would weaken Samus, I am good.

My body is ready, can you say the same? Is your body ready?

3DS Friend Code: 4682-9601-9308

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Neoproteus

8. Posted:

WingedFish wrote:

sushifreAk wrote:

Roy pls
Even if he's just a skin for Marth.

I've seen the new artwork for him in Awakening. Doesn't look like Marth at all now! :D

I do think Mario using a ground pound as a down special is a good idea, but Bowser and Yoshi both already have the same move, so it would be rather repetitive. Plus, just because certain characters don't appear in games anymore, does not mean that they are irrelevant. After all, how long has it been since Mr. Game & Watch, R.O.B., or the Ice Climbers had their own games? And yet they have appeared since Melee (except R.O.B.).

Oh, and Pit only jumps three times. :p

Those characters are really bad examples, as most people couldn't care less what happens to them and I've heard many calling for their removal. Honestly if Nintendo doesn't plan to use those characters outside of Smash Bros they shouldn't be included. That said, I'd rather they make a new Earthbound game to keep Ness and Lucas relevant than remove the characters from Smash Bros, and Captain Falcon is getting there if another F-Zero game isn't made this generation.

The main reason though that I said Shiek could be removed is because there's another, more relevant character introduced in a recent Zelda game that could take over her moveset. That's Impa. It's kind of like what they did to replace Mewtwo with Lucario, but adding in that she would incidentally be separated from Zelda.

Something I didn't include in the main post now that I think of it. Zero Suit Samus should also be removed in favor of another character, like MB, taking over her moveset to justify separating two characters that handle nothing alike technically being the same character and stupidly being connected via the Final Smash. Samus's Final Smash should be a Power Bomb, and Zero Suit Samus needs to still exist, but as someone else.

Neoproteus

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Happy_Mask

9. Posted:

"I have an idea! Let's see how much we can tick off Happy_Mask by slowing ganondorf down even more! And captain falcon! Yeah!"
And that is why I use Mario. :P

[16:08] LordJumpMad Hides his gut with a griddle
[16:08] Reala: what ljm does for cash is ljm's business
[16:08] LordJumpMad: Gotta look good my my next game u_u

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Reala

10. Posted:

Sonic and Snake and that's all I want to return.

Reala

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WingedSnagret

11. Posted:

Reala wrote:

Sonic and Snake and that's all I want to return.

But then it would be the most boring fighting game ever with only two characters. ;) Not to mention both of them aren't Nintendo...

Biggest Pikmin fan on NL!

Avian fact of the week: The Moa, an extinct relative of ostrichs and emus that inhabited New Zealand, was the tallest bird that ever lived at 12 ft tall (3.6 m). It was also the only known bird to have no wing structure.

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Final-Starman

12. Posted:

Poo From EarthBound, But they will have another reason to keep PK Starstorm. (fingers crossed that they won't clone a move set.)

"Come and get me loser! Spankety Spankety Spankety!" -Pokey
"Yesno It is isn't." -Moonsidian
"Shoot! I missed!" - Loid/Lloyd
Fobbies are... Borange!
TONDA GOSSA!
Nintendo Network ID: The-Ness
ROOOOLIIING STAAAAAART!
↑ & ↓ & ↻
Recently played: Sonic The Hedgehog (IOS)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

PKNoUsernameHere

13. Posted:

as long as midna is in ssb4 im fine.

Backlog
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ CLICK NAOW OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Top 5 games: Pokemon HeartGold, Earthbound, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Zelda: Majora's Mask, Super Metroid

3DS Friend Code: 0447-7094-2346 | Nintendo Network ID: DeviousCrossing

AuthorMessage
Avatar

LordJumpMad

14. Posted:

We can all agree that we want AngryBirds in SmashBros.

For you, the day LordJumpMad graced your threads, was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday.
University of ⓂⒶⒹness
LordJumpMad's Theme

3DS Friend Code: 4167-4592-9402 | Twitter: LordJumpMad

AuthorMessage
AvatarAdmin

theblackdragon

15. Posted:

Neoproteus wrote:

joker94 wrote:

Aren't there already plenty of threads about Ssbu?

I searched the first few pages, and didn't find any but the cafe thread and one specifically saying it wasn't about the characters. So, I didn't think this would be too redundant.

They've been discussing characters all throughout the Cafe thread — that's how long it's been going on for. Please feel free to discuss which characters you'd like to see in that thread if you like. Thank you! :3

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!
[16:44] Vintage: We have rules?
[16:44] Reala: don't expose the staff to sunlight, don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter: theblackdragon

Sorry, this topic has been locked.