Forums

Topic: Should wii u have achievements/trophies

Posts 121 to 140 of 222

Wheels2050

Mercury9 wrote:

But surely to be beneficial they must serve an actual purpose!

Don't you want more that an inane message pop up after hours of trying to achieve something?

This is exactly what I was talking about above. I think there is a purpose to achievements if they are implemented such that they provide motivation to try out new, interesting, skillful things in the game. The purpose being to make you a better player and learn more about the game mechanics. Obtaining well-implemented achievements is a reward in itself.

Honestly, I couldn't give a flying fudge about anyone else's achievements. I don't think I've ever looked at the achievements anyone else has gotten (maybe that's partly because Steam doesn't award points like that). Achievements are for my own amusement, as far as I'm concerned, and I think the whole gamerscore e-peen waving is a bit pathetic.

As for unlocking things in game, I'm a bit on the fence. If some requirements are too over the top, it becomes frustrating more than anything, leading to the exact opposite of what developers are aiming for. Straddling the line of being challenging without being impossible is tough, and if there are perceived 'things' locked away behind those requirements some players may just give up on the game if they feel they're not going to experience everything the game has to offer.

Finally, you mentioned getting Club Nintendo stuff for achievements. It's going to be a cold day in hell when that happens. That becomes a completely different beast, even compared to in-game unlockables - just think of the implications of people cheating, hacking etc.

I used to have a blog link here. I'll put it back up when the blog has something to read.

Mercury9

I don't get the fuss over whether an achievement is too hard. It's not unfair because it's challenging! Do you think it's unfair because of possible content being tied to it? Some people buy games just for achievements that besides numbers, don't really reflect any real "skill" I'm against achievements. I think they are pointless but they don't really need to be. I'm just dreaming things Nintendo could do to justify including them and making them fun

Join .www.mkart7.com - Free to enter and great fun!
Mario Kart 7 competitions, great prizes and much more!
3DS FC: 3222-5621-9481
3DS Username: mkart7.com
www.facebook.com/MercuryIX

hYdeks

I agree and kinda disagree. Having achievements sometimes makes a game last longer with you trying to get the achievements, but on the other hand why we really need achievements? Just enjoy the game, dummy

If they do have achievements, they should call them "coins" like off of Super Mario Bros

hYdeks

New_3DaSh_XL

@Mercury9 just imagine this... you buy a, idk, $50 video game. It's a pretty hard vdeo game, and after you complete the game, which takes a long time, you have a TON of achievements to get in order to unlock the bonus level(s). Except you can't get many of them, therefore you never unlock any of the bonus levels. Wouldn't that be annoying?

I have to agree somewhat though; Wii U being a "hardcore" console I think they could do this, somewhat. Not excessively, though.

8 Bit Forward
My Bio, by True_Hero, and

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3165-4977 | Nintendo Network ID: NintenDash | Twitter:

Mercury9

Another idea would be to have Mushroom, Banana, Fireflower and Starman (in a similar vein to PS3 trophys) tokens that may be used either in a trophy-esque fashion on a profile screen or again been redeemable for Wii U/Mii csutomisation. Collect awards/achievements that when completed, appear as virtual trophies ala 3DS and it's puzzle pieces.

Wheels2050

Mercury9 wrote:

I don't get the fuss over whether an achievement is too hard. It's not unfair because it's challenging!

All I'm saying is that there is a difference between 'challenging' and 'effectively impossible'. There is a large range of skills out there, and achievements that some people think are easy might be really, really tough for other people - to the point of frustration and disillusionment. That's not a good thing in any case, and I'm just pointing out that it can be amplified if there is content that people can't access as a result.

Not to mention achievements that are bugged. NBA Jam for Wii had some achievements (and unlockables tied to them) that, as a result of bad programming, were literally impossible to get. I'm not even sure if save-game hacking could access one of them. Others required you to leave NBA Jam running until you scored 10,000 points. Now, I'm not pretending that one case of sloppy programming is THE reason why in-game content shouldn't be linked to achievements, but I sure as hell found it frustrating that I couldn't access all of NBA Jam. I imagine being unable to complete a particularly tough achievement would have a similar effect.

I'm just dreaming things Nintendo could do to justify including them and making them fun

I appreciate that, and it's not a pointless exercise. However, I think it has to be carefully thought through and implemented. I don't pretend to have the answer - I'm personally satisfied with achievements as they currently are, but I can understand other people wanting more.

Edited on by Wheels2050

I used to have a blog link here. I'll put it back up when the blog has something to read.

CanisWolfred

Mercury9 wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

Mercury9 wrote:

The_Fox wrote:

No, not really.

So you'd be happy techically achieving nothing?

...that's the definition of doing anything in a video game.

Then if Nintendo sell out and go the way of MS in regards to meaningless achievements, you'll be over the moon presumably?

I don't see how that's selling out, because that's exactly what most people who do get achievements are already fine with.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Mercury9

A game that people struggle with achievements is no different just because it may be on a Nintendo console and not PS3/360. Take away achievable content. If you are struggling with an achievement and can't do it, It makes no difference on the console you're playing on. You may never achieve it. If Nintendo go down this root (I hope they don't) the casual camp may be very annoyed. Nintendo have a job on their hands here lol

Feed the hardcore but not allowing the casual to starve.

I may breeze through Assassins Creed III's achievements but may come to a complete standstill on the next Mario title. We all have a personal preference and definition of what is simplistic and what is difficult.

Edited on by Mercury9

Wheels2050

Mercury9 wrote:

A game that people struggle with achievements is no different just because it may be on a Nintendo console and not PS3/360. Take away achievable content. If you are struggling with an achievement and can't do it, It makes no difference on the console you're playing on. You may never achieve it. If Nintendo go down this root (I hope they don't) the casual camp may be very annoyed. Nintendo have a a job on their hands here lol

I don't think anybody was suggesting that it is dependent on the console.

Currently, the majority of achievements on all platforms are not linked to unlockable content. I'm aware unlockable content exists, but it generally requires a simple playthrough of a level or something like that, and isn't generally too challenging.

If achievements become linked to unlockables, they need to be challenging (otherwise it's pointless to have them) but not TOO challenging. Where that line is drawn is important, in my opinion.

Edited on by Wheels2050

CanisWolfred

Mercury9 wrote:

A game that people struggle with achievements is no different just because it may be on a Nintendo console and not PS3/360. Take away achievable content. If you are struggling with an achievement and can't do it, It makes no difference on the console you're playing on. You may never achieve it. If Nintendo go down this root (I hope they don't) the casual camp may be very annoyed. Nintendo have a job on their hands here lol

If you're struggling with an achievment, simply stop trying to get it. You're not missing out on anything other than self-satisfaction.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Mercury9

As you obviously know, Kid Icarus Uprising features unlockable content. Some of which I am slightly struggling with but it features unlockable content. That's the incentive. I may never unlock some of them but maybe through trial and error, one day I just might! That's what keeps you playing right? Whether it be linked to the Wii U or a stand alone game, unlockable content is a good thing. It was a mere thought of mine that it could be achievement related.

If I was into achievements, I'd like to struggle with an achievement if I knew I would get something however minute for my troubles upon completion rather than looking at a worded pop up

Edited on by Mercury9

CanisWolfred

Mercury9 wrote:

If I was into achievements, I'd like to struggle with an achievement if I knew I would get something however minute for my troubles upon completion rather than looking at a worded pop up

You don't get much satisfaction out of accomplishing things, do you?

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Mercury9

Mickeymac wrote:

You don't get much satisfaction out of accomplishing things, do you?

I'd personally like to have something that I can show for achieving something. It's like Fable saying, " Oh, I see you just killed -insert boss- fancy some points instead of your usual end of boss decorative trophy?"

Imagine Mario Kart 7 awarding points instead of kart parts for your trouble. Wii U is not a 360/PS3 whether or not it's (ugh) hardcore. It doesn't need to be. Nintendo for me is about the unknown, the random and the quirkiness. Personally, the joy of achievements is deflated when you know that right from the get go, the reward will only ever be a small virtual number.

Once again, I am by no means a fan of achievements but I'd like to see Nintendo add a purpose for them besides static numbers or just don't bother including them at all

Edited on by Mercury9

FiveDigitLP

I will say that I do find some satisfaction in getting certain acheivements or getting all of the acheivements in a particular game. But personally, I like using acheivements as a way to see how far someone else is on a game. If someone else is playing a game I've played, I'll go in and look at how many they've gotten from the primary story. Also, it gives me a way to gauge if they like the same kinds of games as I do. If I go through and see that somebody has gotten a bunch of acheivements on NCAA 20__ or Forza 10, I think "Meh." But if I see that they have most of the acheivements on the Assassin's Creed games and Alan Wake, I think, "Cool. This person likes the same kind of games as I do."

Anyway, I guess to summarize, I would just like a global way to see what games friends play and how they're playing them. That's how I use them with my 360, and that's what I wish the 3DS could do, instead of just seeing their most recently played and/or their favorite game.

My Monstrous Backlog: Gloorg

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7090-4051 | Nintendo Network ID: 5DigitLP

CanisWolfred

Mercury9 wrote:

Imagine Mario Kart 7 awarding points instead of kart parts for your trouble.

It would be like Mario Kart DS all over again. Last I checked, people thought that game was fun.

You talk as if achievements mean no unlockables, which it definitely doesn't. I still unlock things the usual way in Call of Duty, BlazBlue, Final Fantasy, etc. It's just that now I have some extra achievements I can get.

And for the record, trophies/achievements are meant to be something to show you accomplished something within the game. How else are you supposed to prove that you did indeed jump from the highest point in the game but you didn't have your camera on, than with the in-game trophy?

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Mercury9

Of course it's fun! You unlock extra players and karts by achieving things. The incentive is achieving things that result in usable rewards. For all anyone knows, achievements and trophy's may well be fluked or gained by pure luck maybe even by bugs.That goes for all games! You may have luck on your side when you win a Mario Kart race and finish 1st or maybe you fluked Gigantuar in FF13. You may get the award yes but it's not always down to skill. They are nothing more than screen filler unless they serve an actual purpose.

Whatever the reason for the achievement, for me having someone show me a polygonal trophy would not float my Red Lion!

Edited on by Mercury9

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.