Forums

Topic: Should wii u have achievements/trophies

Posts 101 to 120 of 222

0megapit231

I would like to see an achievement system but I would like to see Nintendo work the achievements with actual uses then just a form of bragging rights.

0megapit231

Bankai

Henmii wrote:

I think they are overrated! I always hear: Microsoft has achievements and Nintendo doesn't!
But that's not true!! Several Wii games have achievements, it's just that other people can't see your achievements online!

You want examples of games on Nintendo consoles that have achievements? What about Megaman 10, or the Adventure island game found on Wiiware, Or Kirby's mass attack? Just 3 examples. That they aren't called literally "achievements" doesn't make them no achievements!!

The point of achievements is that they're console wide and universal, not locked in to a game.

Bankai

Henmii wrote:

I think they are overrated! I always hear: Microsoft has achievements and Nintendo doesn't!
But that's not true!! Several Wii games have achievements, it's just that other people can't see your achievements online!

You want examples of games on Nintendo consoles that have achievements? What about Megaman 10, or the Adventure island game found on Wiiware, Or Kirby's mass attack? Just 3 examples. That they aren't called literally "achievements" doesn't make them no achievements!!

The point of achievements is that they're console wide and universal, not locked in to a game.

CanisWolfred

shake_zula wrote:

Mickeymac wrote:

shake_zula wrote:

What can I say, I'm a completionist. I just don't like to have too much to complete.

But then you'd be completing a hard task. I thought that was the point of being a completionist. Getting everything in any game is hard, but you do that regularly. You don't feel like going for the next big step?

Not that it matters, most achievements aren't superhard like that, and even the ones that are, don't do them, or at least give up after you've tried and seen that you can't do it. You can still call yourself a completionist so long as you complete most of your games.

No, like I said I'd just prefer to not have to play a game through more than once to "achieve" everything. I don't often replay single player campaigns for fun - the last time I did it was with Modern Warfare 2, and I've never done it with a Wii game. There's a lot of Wii games that I have "100%'d" because I liked them, but I wouldn't want to have to replay them to earn a trophy. Like, I loved Rayman Origins enough to complete all of the challenges, but I wouldn't want to play through it again as a different character.

I just don't enjoy having to go back over trodden ground, I'd rather move on to a new game once I've been through all the levels. It's probably linked in some way to the fact that I don't enjoy the Metroidvania style of game, I hate having to backtrack (although don't get me wrong, I did enjoy Metroid Prime 3).

That's...the exact opposite of being a completionist, just so you know. :/

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

ReleaseTheBears

There's three things I hate about achievements/trophies:

1) Grinding achievements (Kill 1500 [enemies]/with your [weapon]"
2) How they get tied to accounts and can't be removed. Say I want to play a game but don't want to display achievements for it because I will never 100% it, should be able to just delete it.
3) Multiplayer achievements, especially ones like "Win 10 matches in a row." It just promotes boosting and lessens my desire to actually do them.

ReleaseTheBears

mamp

I don't care for achievements but they should be on the Wii U since people really like them, also most games make them optional you don't need them to get through the game.

The cat's the only cat who knows where it's at.
NNID: Muffin-Gun

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6586-7657

Mercury9

No but if Nintendo must add them the I hope they make them serve a purpose rather than just sitting on the screen. Unlockable Mii items like the hats on 3DS or in game bonuses for example would be good. Digital numbers on a screen are frankly pointless and who really, honestly cares about your gamerscore/trophy collection?

Achievement unlocked....I DIDN'T UNLOCK ANYTHING!!!!

Edited on by Mercury9

Join .www.mkart7.com - Free to enter and great fun!
Mario Kart 7 competitions, great prizes and much more!
3DS FC: 3222-5621-9481
3DS Username: mkart7.com
www.facebook.com/MercuryIX

Xilef

I wouldn't mind achievements as long as it unlocks something. Kinda like KI:U or SSBB does it. When you complete a achievement, you get something like a trophy och item or something like that. Like people have been saying, stuff like Mii hats would be awesome, but would rather earn stuff in the actuall game rather then getting stuff for my Wii U, if you get what i mean.

Xilef

Mercury9

Xilef wrote:

I wouldn't mind achievements as long as it unlocks something. Kinda like KI:U or SSBB does it. When you complete a achievement, you get something like a trophy och item or something like that. Like people have been saying, stuff like Mii hats would be awesome, but would rather earn stuff in the actuall game rather then getting stuff for my Wii U, if you get what i mean.

I get you...I basically just said that lol When Wii U hits, I'll go online to see what my friends are upto not complete for a meaningless 10 points that lack a purpose! If it must be points then maybe they could function in a similar way to play coins and serve as a impromptu online currency so that we may buy customisation items like profile pics, backgrounds, themes (if they'll exist!) for Wii U's home menu. I call the name Nintendollar!

Edited on by Mercury9

Tasuki

Me personally I hate achievements. Really they are a cop out for companies to claim that their game is X hours long when really it isnt that long unless you do all the achievements. I wouldn't mind if doing the achievements unlock something like extra stages or characters or what not but they don't. I could care less if you can stomp 100 goombas without touching the ground or do a 360 while flying through the air. However alot of people do seem to like achievements why is a mystery to me. Really the achievements don't disrupt the flow of the game so they might as well have achievements for those who do like them. It doesn't mean I have to do them.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Ryno

I'm not a trophy collector but I sometimes check out the list and give some things a try just for the funk of it like George Clinton. I don't mind if the Wii U will have them or not though, I think that Nintendo should implement them for those that who believe gaming is the reason for their entire existence.

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

Wheels2050

Tasuki wrote:

Me personally I hate achievements. Really they are a cop out for companies to claim that their game is X hours long when really it isnt that long unless you do all the achievements.

As I mentioned earlier, I used to be firmly against the idea of achievements. Having grown up playing games without them, I viewed them as a cynical way to artificially prolong a game at little expense to the developer.

However, I've since seen some games that have implemented achievements very well. Team Fortress 2, for example, has lots of achievements that reward you for learning new strategies in the game. For example, some achievements reward you for using a combination of two particular weapons to finish off enemies. That's the sort of thing where someone, particularly a new player, might look at the achievements and think hey, I never thought of doing that! and give it a go next time around.

In that way, people are introduced to some more advanced strategies (beyond those that could conceivably be demonstrated in a tutorial) in a somewhat natural way - they don't have to try them out but, if they so desire, people can get some hints from the achievements and increase their skill set (and hopefully get more enjoyment from the game).

That's how I think achievements should be done.

Don't get me wrong - I know there are still far too many achievements that require some mundane, zero-skill action to be repeated a large number of times, and they're a waste of everybody's time.

When done right, though, I think achievements can be beneficial to the player's experience and that should be what developers aim for.

I used to have a blog link here. I'll put it back up when the blog has something to read.

Mercury9

Wheels2050 wrote:

When done right, though, I think achievements can be beneficial to the player's experience and that should be what developers aim for.

But surely to be beneficial they must serve an actual purpose! My gamerscore on my 360 was around 12,000 before I sold it. That's 12,000 points doing absolutely nothing besides helping fill up the screen. For me, Nintendo implementing any form of achievements MUST be fruitful. Possibly even rewarding players with coins and stars for Club Nintendo upon completing an achievement. They must have a reason to be included and have various content to unlock.

If they are not redeemable it will be a huge disappointment for me should Nintendo decide to include point based rewards because you may as well write numbers on your windows if they are there for mere decoration.

Don't you want more that an inane message pop up after hours of trying to achieve something? The possible idea of unlockable content is something I like. For example, say the Wii U has themes and profile options, your friend may have unlocked a Metroid Fusion theme for killing 100 metroids and you may have unlocked a Zelda TP Profile icon for beating a dungeon in a set time. That gives more incentive to achieve something than mere numbers ever will

Edited on by Mercury9

The_Fox

Mercury9 wrote:

Wheels2050 wrote:

But surely to be beneficial they must serve an actual purpose! .

No, not really.

"The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

-President John Adams

Treaty of Tripoly, article 11

CanisWolfred

Mercury9 wrote:

Possibly even rewarding players with coins and stars for Club Nintendo upon completing an achievement.

That would be very costly, though. Also, unlocking in-game content via achievements would be even worse, because now you're restricting content to only the very best players, which is what achievements were meant to be for. While I wouldn't mind unlocking cheats or new cloths, anything beyond that would turn me off a game where the achievements are really hard, but if they were easy, then they would lose their reason for existing. And really, the achievements themselves are their own reward - the sense of satisfaction from completing something hard is all you really need.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Mercury9

The_Fox wrote:

No, not really.

So you'd be happy techically achieving/unlocking nothing?

Ok so not necessarily "in game content" but options for Mii customisation or other related things, possible menu skins, colours, styles.

Edited on by Mercury9

moomoo

I don't see why not. I'm indifferent.

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

Mercury9

Mickeymac wrote:

Mercury9 wrote:

The_Fox wrote:

No, not really.

So you'd be happy techically achieving nothing?

...that's the definition of doing anything in a video game.

Then if Nintendo sell out and go the way of MS in regards to meaningless achievements, you'll be over the moon presumably?

Edited on by Mercury9

New_3DaSh_XL

It should have achievements, but this shouldn't unlock content, it should just look good on your profile. Besides that, it's all unfair for less expirienced players or those who aren't good at a game. I want to be able to get everything in my game, but if I need a ton of achievements, and(let's say I'm not a very good gaming) then I'll never truly unlock the full game, an annoying concept.

8 Bit Forward
My Bio, by True_Hero, and

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3165-4977 | Nintendo Network ID: NintenDash | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.