Topic: Should Link be a girl?

Showing 241 to 260 of 374

AuthorMessage

Unca_Lz

241. Posted:

Forum_Topic wrote:

Should Link be a girl?

Hmmm?

Nintendo Life moderator and duck. Nintendo sux!

My Retrologgery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage

theblackdragon

242. Posted:

@Neoproteus: What we're saying is that whether something matches the definition of 'art' depends entirely on the person making that personal call. Yes, a dictionary or textbook can put a definition to a word or concept, but it's belief from the individual that makes the definition true or not. Monetary value fluctuates depending on the value people themselves put into it — our US currency used to be worth a given amount of gold, and now it's hardly worth the paper it's printed upon. Language changes daily and shifts greatly over time — we would hardly be able to understand one of Shakespeare's plays if we watched one during his lifetime due to not only the words and grammatical structure but the way those words were actually pronounced back in his day.

In short, what one person sees as an 'expression of human creative skill and imagination' is another person's trash, and there's no helping it until they change their mind.

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!
[16:44] Vintage: We have rules?
[16:44] Reala: don't expose the staff to sunlight, don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter: theblackdragon

AuthorMessage

the_shpydar

243. Posted:

Clearly, the answer to this entire discussion is 42.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong. Also, Lindsey Stirling. Because violin awesomeness.
Current E.T. count: 21 Copies. 2 Sealed, 6 CIB, 3 Boxed, 10 Loose.

3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

AuthorMessage

Void

244. Posted:

@TBD We don't deserve to have someone like you around here. :o

I used to travel the stars, then I discovered Earth, and these incredibly addicting things called 'Video Games.'
And they said you couldn't buy happiness!

AuthorMessage

KAHN

245. Posted:

Void wrote:

she's the hero we need, not the hero we deserve.

KAHN

3DS Friend Code: 1032-1301-2772 | Nintendo Network ID: Milkman12

AuthorMessage

Capt_N

246. Posted:

My opinions on the matter:

Link a girl:
1. Nintendo probably would be afraid of alienating (specifically Zelda) fans.
2. Nintendo probably considers that there are girl gamers out there, that play, & quite possibly are fans, of (the) Zelda (titles), despite the protagonist being male/a guy.
3. I think most fans would consider a female Link, a derivative of the real/male Link. Similar to the argument about alternate universe histories/continuities for comic book characters; I was reading a comment on a comics site about the new ethnic Spiderman, & the commenter basically said that he wasn't interested, b/c(because) Marvel (Comics) had not actually rebooted/retconned, or replaced the actual (Caucasian) Spiderman. Marvel had simply altered/created(I don't remember which, but I think altered is the right word) a multiverse derivative of the regular Marvel universe Spiderman. His comments were not the only ones of this sentiment.

I do think, however, that Nintendo, if they ever tried it, might be able to get away w/ it, on the grounds of if the (Zelda) stories up to this point, are either retconned to include/fix, or do not prohibit up to this point, that the hero/(holder of the triforce of courage) continually born again/re-incarnated(?), can be either gender.

If they tried such a move, even if the Zelda stories up to this point allowed for such a thing, & made some coherent sense, as far as believability that Nintendo didn't just out of thin air, come up w/ the idea, I believe they would still get backfire from fans, & even non-fans.

Would I want Link to be a girl? Probably not, but I might not care, if the game was/is really good. For me, playing games where the protagonist is female, is not really an issue for me. Or perhaps it depends on the game for me. When i was little, I could easily play my sister's Nes "The Little Mermaid". I can easily play Metroid, but then again, in my opinion, for a majority of most Metroid games, you don't see, even though you may know, that your character is female. The narratives in the likes of Fusion, & Zero Mission, will remind you, but not always. These are just examples, of course. As I said, I probably wouldn't be bothered too much, if at all, if the game was good. Now that I think about it, I probably wouldn't. Mighty Switch Force comes to my mind. "Switch it up!".

I guess it depends on the individual gamer.

Games as Art:

Off the top of my head, I'm just going to say, I think/believe they can be looked at as art, & as (a) fun, interactive hobby/pasttime.

3DS FC: 0173-1967-5074♪DotheMarioKrt7 Community: 65-3522-2507-1023

AuthorMessage

Neoproteus

247. Posted:

theblackdragon wrote:

@Neoproteus: What we're saying is that whether something matches the definition of 'art' depends entirely on the person making that personal call. Yes, a dictionary or textbook can put a definition to a word or concept, but it's belief from the individual that makes the definition true or not. Monetary value fluctuates depending on the value people themselves put into it — our US currency used to be worth a given amount of gold, and now it's hardly worth the paper it's printed upon. Language changes daily and shifts greatly over time — we would hardly be able to understand one of Shakespeare's plays if we watched one during his lifetime due to not only the words and grammatical structure but the way those words were actually pronounced back in his day.

In short, what one person sees as an 'expression of human creative skill and imagination' is another person's trash, and there's no helping it until they change their mind.

Alright, agree to disagree. That's really not what this topic is about. We've gotten really off-topic!

I heard it mentioned earlier that Link may indeed already be a girl, and I have to say there is proof of that as well.
Untitled
This image is from the infamous spaceworld demonstration preceding Wind Waker. Does that look like a man to you?
Untitled
And this is a screenshot from Soul Calibur 2, clearly showing a camel-toe.
You could also take into consideration that many of Link's voice actors were female.

Neoproteus

AuthorMessage

Capt_N

248. Posted:

0LD_SK0OL_PUNK wrote:

Void wrote:

she's the hero we need, not the hero we deserve.

Good call, you beat me to it, though. :) Though I was gonna say "moderator", instead of "hero", but that works, too.

Edited on by Capt_N

AuthorMessage

theblackdragon

249. Posted:

Neoproteus wrote:

You could also take into consideration that many of Link's voice actors were female.

(a) do you have to be so crude? looks like a poorly placed highlight to me.
(b) When you take into consideration that OoT, MM, WW, PH, and ST all involved Child Link, the mystery behind Link's voice actors being largely female becomes much clearer. Using a female voice actor for male child roles is nothing new in terms of animated TV shows/movies and video games.

BEST THREAD EVER
[16:44] Reala: don't expose the staff to sunlight, don't get them wet and don't feed them after midnight

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter: theblackdragon

AuthorMessage

Neoproteus

250. Posted:

theblackdragon wrote:

Neoproteus wrote:

(a) do you have to be so crude? looks like a poorly placed highlight to me.
(b) When you take into consideration that OoT, MM, WW, PH, and ST all involved Child Link, the mystery behind Link's voice actors being largely female becomes much clearer. Using a female voice actor for male child roles is nothing new in terms of animated TV shows/movies and video games.

I didn't say it was strong proof, just that the concept of Link already being female has some soft ground to stand on. Maybe this is really where the concept for a female Link took off?

Neoproteus

AuthorMessage

OptometristLime

251. Posted:

Even the jokes are reading us their punchlines these days.

Can't we all agree this topic is too mature for this audience. :(

CanisWolfred wrote:

Obviously you guys have been watching too much Anime. Maybe Link will photosythesis, too?.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

AuthorMessage

theblackdragon

252. Posted:

@Neoproteus: The thread started off promising, but now you're straight-up entering the Twilight Zone. In each of the games Nintendo has produced so far (as well as those crap CD-i titles and any other game where he's had a cameo), Link has been portrayed in male form. We can't go back and change his gender in those incarnations of his character just because we think it'd be better that way. If Link is ever to be incarnated as a female at one point, she deserves her own adventure, her own tale to be told.

@thelastlemming: to be honest, it's starting to get to that point, lol...

Edited on by theblackdragon

BEST THREAD EVER

AuthorMessage

Capt_N

253. Posted:

thelastlemming wrote:

Even the jokes are reading us their punchlines these days.

Can't we all agree this topic is too mature for this audience. :(

I believe some can handle it, while others can't.

AuthorMessage

LittleKing

254. Posted:

Neoproteus wrote:

theblackdragon wrote:

Alright, agree to disagree. That's really not what this topic is about. We've gotten really off-topic!

I heard it mentioned earlier that Link may indeed already be a girl, and I have to say there is proof of that as well.
Untitled
This image is from the infamous spaceworld demonstration preceding Wind Waker. Does that look like a man to you?
Untitled

1. You can't say "Link is a girl," the most you can say is "a Link is a girl." Also, ask Nintendo. No incarnation of Link is a girl. This is not real life where you can cross dress a female and call her a man, but she's really a biological female. This is a game, where the creators alone decide what sex the character is. In example, if I make a game and say the character is male, they're male. It doesn't matter how much "evidence" you bring forth; I made the damn game, and therefore, the character is male. Also, to answer "does that look like a male to you," yes, a male with bad lighting and a bad character model. Are we going to watch anime and say all the young males are actually females because some look feminine?

2. As for the SC2 screenshot... I see nothing. At all. So, yeah... nice imagination you have there.

3. Next, female actors for young males is extremely common. Ash's VA was female, iirc, as well as most anime and cartoon characters who are young males. Some older females sound similar to young males, so they use them instead of actual young males because their voice is less likely to change. If you used a 12 year old for the voice, ten years later they'd sound 22. Even if the character didn't age.

In answer to the original post, I wouldn't mind seeing a female incarnation of Link. I'd want her to have a different name, though, otherwise I'd get confused. Since Link doesn't talk, I doubt there'd be much room for character growth, though. I think most everyone would treat her similarly to the way they treated the male incarnations of Link. It could be interesting, however.

Also, I wouldn't want them to do it just because some fools thought it was sexist for the incarnations of Link to be male; making a female Link because of that would be sexist in itself. Sexism should never enter the equation; they should simply decide what's best for the series and go with that.

Also, making a female Link could be a nice time to make some gameplay changes. How about making the new Link use a different weapon? Maybe she could use a rapier, and they could make combat faster and smoother. A lightning quick rapier toting Link would be a nice change of pace. I'm getting a little tired of Link's standard moves.

Edited on by LittleKing

LittleKing

AuthorMessage

Bankai

255. Posted:

I like how people use Samus as an example of a 'strong female character' but conveniently forget that most of the time Samus pretends to Be a male character.

Dressing a female in men's gear and having her act like a man and then at the very end of the game strip her down to a bikini and yell 'surprise! She's a girl!' is so offensively sexist I'm going to reemphasise me first point:

Gender studies needs to be mandatory at school because this thread is proof that most people have no clue. At all.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage

Neoproteus

256. Posted:

Metabble_King wrote:

In answer to the original post, I wouldn't mind seeing a female incarnation of Link. I'd want her to have a different name, though, otherwise I'd get confused. Since Link doesn't talk, I doubt there'd be much room for character growth, though. I think most everyone would treat her similarly to the way they treated the male incarnations of Link. It could be interesting, however.

Also, making a female Link could be a nice time to make some gameplay changes. How about making the new Link use a different weapon? Maybe she could use a rapier, and they could make combat faster and smoother. A lightning quick rapier toting Link would be a nice change of pace. I'm getting a little tired of Link's standard moves.

I never thought about her using a different weapon, though before I edited the OP I had said something about giving her a voice and making her speak. It'd be like any other Zelda game where Navi or Midna speaks for you, but Linkette would speak for herself this time. Kinda like how in Jak and Daxter, Jak was mute, but they gave him a voice and a personality in Jak 2. I don't think her weapon should be a rapier though. There's already a somewhat well known Nintendo character that uses that weapon: Lyndis. Perhaps her distinguishing feature is not a new weapon, but the fact that she doesn't have a sword and shield, but uses the bow as her main weapon.

Neoproteus

AuthorMessage

LittleKing

257. Posted:

WhiteKnight wrote:

I like how people use Samus as an example of a 'strong female character' but conveniently forget that most of the time Samus pretends to Be a male character.

Dressing a female in men's gear and having her act like a man and then at the very end of the game strip her down to a bikini and yell 'surprise! She's a girl!' is so offensively sexist I'm going to reemphasise me first point:

Gender studies needs to be mandatory at school because this thread is proof that most people have no clue. At all.

That happens a lot. They say they want a heroine, so they make one... then make them act like a man. Why does the woman have to act manly to make her valuable? Sure, some may naturally have characteristics one may perceive as "manly," but most of the time its associated with the role reversal. Apparently reversing roles equals everything out.

One problem that occurs when people discuss sexism is the way they use "equality." Things can be different and be "equal" in terms of how "good" they are, but people forget this. They think everything is 2 == 2, and 3 > 2. We have apples and oranges, and both are delicious fruit. They are packed with different kinds of nutrients and flavors, but one isn't inherently "worse" than the other just because they are different. Yet we feel the need to equalize them by swapping their roles in meals or mixing them together. By constantly trying to fight sexism, we create it. We "discriminate" all day long, and yet it's become an evil term. When we choose what we want to eat, we discriminate. When we choose what tool we think works best in doing a certain job, we discriminate. It's when we discriminate for no rational reason that it becomes a problem. Rational discrimination is how we survive.

@Neoproteus True, although Lyndis is from FE, and the combat there works very differently. Regardless, it would be a nice change of pace, presenting new opportunities to freshen up the series.

Edited on by LittleKing

LittleKing

AuthorMessage

Morphbug

258. Posted:

What if Ganon dislikes fighting/being defeated by girls and that's why not even a single female Link has had it's own adventure?
I could see him waiting a few life times for a new male Link before starting his new plot.

Edited on by Morphbug

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

AuthorMessage

LittleKing

259. Posted:

Morphtroid wrote:

What if Ganon dislikes fighting/being defeated by girls and that's why not even a single female Link has had it's own adventure?
I could see him waiting a few life times for a new male Link before starting his new plot.

That's a funny idea. :p

LittleKing

AuthorMessage

skywake

260. Posted:

WhiteKnight wrote:

If you define "acting like a man" to mean being a hero and saving the day then you're never going to be happy. There's nothing particularly masculine about the way Samus acts in Metroid anymore than there is anything particularly masculine about the way Link acts in Zelda. Love interests aside neither of them are really gender specific characters.

I mean what are you implying here? That Metroid would be better in it's portrayal of women if Samus spent the whole time as Zero Suit Samus? With a whip? Are women not allowed to wear full body armour and have an arm cannon?

NNID: skywake

Sorry, this topic has been locked.