181. Posted:

Just thought I'd leave this here...

Neoproteus

AuthorMessage

Chuie

182. Posted:

this is like professer oak asking if your a boy or a girl
come on now link is link he is a dude and always be a dude unless
but link could have a sister or a daugher ;)(thats not link )

3DS FC:1332-8177-3517 currently playing:Tales of xillia (2nd playthrough) BIG TALES OF FAN! BIG SONIC FAN! lloyd x sheena yuri x judith
PSN ID:Bioshock1313
youtube:ChuieTheUmbreon my new channel
i was mieu-fire

AuthorMessage

RoryLee

183. Posted:

I don't see why not. I always thought that it was someones destiny to be the Hero of Time, whether it be a boy or a girl.

Nintendo ID: RoryLee
3DS: 3007-8085-6351

AuthorMessage

Adam

184. Posted:

Those pictures of SheLink are getting framed and hung on my bedroom walls.

I don't see the point of this being an actual thing though. If Nintendo wants to make a good female character they have better options, I think:

1) Just make a new series,
2) use Zelda/Sheik as a playable character,
3) let someone else make Metroid.

I'd like to see a Snake/Raiden-like character switch between Link and Zelda someday, myself.

Edited on by Adam

Come on, friends,
To the bear arcades again.

AuthorMessage

Neoproteus

185. Posted:

kyuubikid213 wrote:

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

This is what I found with a simple Google Search. I wouldn't mind a female Link.

You sir, are amazing. You have fully demonstrated my point about just how 'right' this whole thing seems. It's difficult to explain but a picture is worth a thousand words. These pieces of artwork would not be out of place as the main character for an actual Zelda title.

I wonder if people would still be this divided if Nintendo announced they were actually going to do this....

Neoproteus

AuthorMessage

k8sMum

186. Posted:

Trainer_DJ wrote:

Seriously, I am quite astonished how the idea of Link being female has all of sudden become this rallying point. I hate to say it, but the average gamer of any sex is not thinking "Link should be a girl!" I think we should debate sexism in video games, I have actually been thinking a lot about in the past week. I seriously don't think Link being a girl is a way to solve anything. I know I said this a million times, but it really is random and pointless. You don't just randomly mess with established icons. Again, wouldn't something like this be better for a new series? I believe in equal rights for everyone, no exception. However, something like perceived sexism in games is not a clear cut women getting rights issue. Women are not being denied anything so it isn't clear cut. Probably the main problem I have with the "feminist" side is that their proposed solutions tend to be pretty awful. They also seem to not factor in things that such as audience. I easily see what they are talking about, but those things really seem to separate me from that side of the debate. I find I see some truth in both sides. Rare, speaking I almost am always able to pick a very clear position on social issues.

i don't think it is a case of women being denied anything. it's more a case of perceptions being repeated over and over. one poster wrote about (and i am paraphrasing here) the masculine traits of heroism, bravery etc as if they are gender specific traits. they aren't. the number of posters saying what amounts to 'i am not anti-feminist BUT....'. that 'but' negates the previous statement.

i wouldn't mind seeing a stronger female character in the 'zelda' series. i don't know if i want them to change the gender of link himself as it feels manipulative to me. but again, a strong female character would be nice. one who can stand on her own two feet and do more than simper when threatened.

'Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt' Tolkien
'God is a kid with an antfarm.' "Constantine"
3ds friend code: 0860 3849 6133
Caitlin's Memorial Site

AuthorMessage

WingedSnagret

187. Posted:

You people have all lost your marbles. While you're at it, change Pit, Ike and Marth in girls! Oh wait, I've already seen pictures of them like that...

DeviantArt is just freaky! :o

Biggest Pikmin fan on NL!

Avian fact of the week: The Moa, an extinct relative of ostrichs and emus that inhabited New Zealand, was the tallest bird that ever lived at 12 ft tall (3.6 m). It was also the only known bird to have no wing structure.

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

AuthorMessage

moomoo

188. Posted:

edhe wrote:

Sure, Why not.

And Samus should be a giant obese man with a full beard.

Make it happen Deviantart!

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

AuthorMessage

Final-Starman

189. Posted:

I don't mean to be a spoilsport, But this thread should be in the General Discussion area, Not the Wii U Forums.

"Come and get me loser! Spankety Spankety Spankety!" -Pokey
"Yesno It is isn't." -Moonsidian
"Shoot! I missed!" - Loid/Lloyd
Fobbies are... Borange!
TONDA GOSSA!
Nintendo Network ID: The-Ness
ROOOOLIIING STAAAAAART!
↑ & ↓ & ↻
Recently played: Sonic The Hedgehog (IOS)

AuthorMessage

k8sMum

190. Posted:

TBD must not agree as she's left it here.

'Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt' Tolkien
'God is a kid with an antfarm.' "Constantine"
3ds friend code: 0860 3849 6133
Caitlin's Memorial Site

AuthorMessage

scrubbyscum999

191. Posted:

k8sMum wrote:

Trainer_DJ wrote:

Seriously, I am quite astonished how the idea of Link being female has all of sudden become this rallying point. I hate to say it, but the average gamer of any sex is not thinking "Link should be a girl!" I think we should debate sexism in video games, I have actually been thinking a lot about in the past week. I seriously don't think Link being a girl is a way to solve anything. I know I said this a million times, but it really is random and pointless. You don't just randomly mess with established icons. Again, wouldn't something like this be better for a new series? I believe in equal rights for everyone, no exception. However, something like perceived sexism in games is not a clear cut women getting rights issue. Women are not being denied anything so it isn't clear cut. Probably the main problem I have with the "feminist" side is that their proposed solutions tend to be pretty awful. They also seem to not factor in things that such as audience. I easily see what they are talking about, but those things really seem to separate me from that side of the debate. I find I see some truth in both sides. Rare, speaking I almost am always able to pick a very clear position on social issues.

i don't think it is a case of women being denied anything. it's more a case of perceptions being repeated over and over. one poster wrote about (and i am paraphrasing here) the masculine traits of heroism, bravery etc as if they are gender specific traits. they aren't. the number of posters saying what amounts to 'i am not anti-feminist BUT....'. that 'but' negates the previous statement.

i wouldn't mind seeing a stronger female character in the 'zelda' series. i don't know if i want them to change the gender of link himself as it feels manipulative to me. but again, a strong female character would be nice. one who can stand on her own two feet and do more than simper when threatened.

That poster was me and I was saying that those traits are TRADITIONALLY seen as masculine. Does that mean that should be, no. Speaking much of my philosophy of ethics revolves around the evils of tradition I wouldn't consider myself someone who promotes a lot of tradition. However, it does not have to be all bad, especially in the small fictional sphere of traditional fantasy Zelda world. The is going by the roles in a kind of light hearted way. Also, anti-feminist seems a bit harsh just because someone disagrees on how we should try and better promote the roles of females. I don't think anyone around here is saying that women should ONLY be rescued and have those traditional roles. As long as it's not taken seriously I don't think those roles need to be completely eradicated either.

As with the male roles, I think someone seemed to mention Link's screaming which seemed like a good example. I don't do gender studies so I can't specifically say what but it's certain stuff like that make Link "masculine". Obviously a woman can do that too, any general rule can be broken. I am saying however there are certain little things Link does that says "male", and you can change that but it wouldn't seem fit the character overall. The good thing about this topic is that I am able to practice defending my views.

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5661-0445
Steam:scrubbyscum999

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5661-0445 | Twitter: @scrubbyscum999

AuthorMessage

WildMan

192. Posted:

Trainer_DJ wrote:

k8sMum wrote:

Trainer_DJ wrote:

That poster was me and I was saying that those traits are TRADITIONALLY seen as masculine. Does that mean that should be, no. Speaking much of my philosophy of ethics revolves around the evils of tradition I wouldn't consider myself someone who promotes a lot of tradition. However, it does not have to be all bad, especially in the small fictional sphere of traditional fantasy Zelda world. The is going by the roles in a kind of light hearted way. Also, anti-feminist seems a bit harsh just because someone disagrees on how we should try and better promote the roles of females. I don't think anyone around here is saying that women should ONLY be rescued and have those traditional roles. As long as it's not taken seriously I don't think those roles need to be completely eradicated either.

As with the male roles, I think someone seemed to mention Link's screaming which seemed like a good example. I don't do gender studies so I can't specifically say what but it's certain stuff like that make Link "masculine". Obviously a woman can do that too, any general rule can be broken. I am saying however there are certain little things Link does that says "male", and you can change that but it wouldn't seem fit the character overall. The good thing about this topic is that I am able to practice defending my views.

The truth...

Mmm Chicken

3DS Friend Code: 1075-1253-2852

AuthorMessage

skywake

193. Posted:

I'd only want to see it if it added something interesting to the story. Personally I think Zelda does enough pro-feminism stuffs with characters like Midna/Impa and with Sheik/Tetra or even just Princess Zelda as Zelda in general. The Zelda in Skyward Sword is hardly a damsel in distress especially when compared to Groose. I can't think of much that making Link a girl would add that hasn't already been done through NPCs.

......... plus I'd be worried about how they'd change Link's noises if they made Link a girl. It could easily end up being very Navi-ish if they did it wrong.

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage

NoUsernameHere

194. Posted:

Yeah, as long as they make zelda a man,im fine with it.

Buying: SSB4 (3DS and Wii U), Pokemon OR/AS (3DS) The Wonderful 101 (Wii U), DKC: Tropical Freeze (Wii U), Rune Factory 4 (3DS)
Backlog
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ CLICK NAOW OR RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
T3H K00L KR@B
Formerly PSI_King and WarioMan.
HYRULE WARRIORZ: FABULOUS SIMULATOR 2014

3DS Friend Code: 0447-7094-2346 | Nintendo Network ID: DeviousCrossing

AuthorMessage

Void

195. Posted:

WingedFish wrote:

You people have all lost your marbles.

Nobody had them in the first place.

WingedFish wrote:

DeviantArt is just freaky! :o

Well, deviant pretty much means devil, so it makes sense. :P

I used to travel the stars, then I discovered Earth, and these incredibly addicting things called 'Video Games.'
And they said you couldn't buy happiness!

AuthorMessage

OptometristLime

196. Posted:

paperluigi wrote:

Yeah, as long as they make zelda a man,im fine with it.

I mean once you start mucking around with a storied franchise, you might as well go all in.

Miyamoto on his desire to focus more on the (hard)core Nintendo fan.

[The casual] attitude is, ‘okay, I am the customer. You are supposed to entertain me.’ [...] and to me it’s kind of a pathetic thing.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

AuthorMessage

Norfair

197. Posted:

No, Link should not be a girl.
Just because Link looks pretty in some gender swapping fan art pictures, doesn't mean he should.

My body is ready, can you say the same? Is your body ready?

3DS Friend Code: 4682-9601-9308

AuthorMessage

Lunapplebloom

198. Posted:

There have been plenty of strong female characters in the Zelda series. Changing Link to a woman wouldn't really change anything much for the better or worse. I'm not apposed to the idea, but I don't see it happening anytime soon in the perceivable future. Nintendo just wouldn't wan't to mess around with an icon they have had for over 25 years now to that extent. Other female characters playing an important role in the story and being playable would suit me just fine, but as far as Link being a woman I just can't see it happening for now.

Like: Sonic, Yoshi, Link, and Samus
My Appleloggery and Youtube
PSN ID: sonicwildfire
Previously Applejacklove
Discostew: "I am the terror that trots in the night! I am the gleam of the moon that blinds you while you drive! I - am Gamer Luna!"
Applebloom is best CMC!

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9557-7319 | Nintendo Network ID: sonicwildfire07

AuthorMessage

DarkNinja9

199. Posted:

while were add it lets make zelda a lesbian(or a guy) and ganon a girl too woooot just imagine those fan art pics oh and dont forget the great fairies make them guys instead you know to make this even more out of place to the story and throw out he whole idea of them being reincarnated spirits :D

good game right? ;)

my 3DS friend code: 4468-2280-4674

i stopped playing mario kart now and moved on to luigis mansion :P

NNID(WiiU): GhostNinja1373

usually im just on miiverse(drawing) :P

AuthorMessage

Morphbug

200. Posted:

Just imagine the Ocarina of Time Great Fairies as males.

Edited on by Morphbug

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

Sorry, this topic has been locked.