Wii U Forum

Topic: Should Link be a girl?

Showing 101 to 120 of 374

AuthorMessage

OptometristLime

101. Posted:

theblackdragon wrote:

thelastlemming wrote:

More to the point I think a playable female character set in the Zelda universe could be very cool. But to call that character "Link" is to forever bastardize a beloved character by saying anyone by that name can claim to be the legendary hero.

... so? i thought that was the point of Link being reincarnated through time, it's always someone named Link who winds up the legendary hero. I don't see it as bastardization, I see it as 'something different for the series'.

I mostly agree. What I mean is that Link has been depicted throughout the games as being a fair-haired male, Hylian, wears green... there are certain things that combine together to define Link as a Nintendo character. A strong female character should not be superimposed over an existing identity, you wouldn't name a newborn child after a deceased sibling. Invent a new character and establish some new origins to make her equally compelling and unique.

Edited on by OptometristLime

CanisWolfred wrote:

Obviously you guys have been watching too much Anime. Maybe Link will photosythesis, too?.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

AuthorMessage

Gamesake

102. Posted:

WhiteKnight wrote:

If I ever get into politics I'm going to use this exact thread as proof that we need feminism to be a requisite course in schools.

There's a lot of learnin' to be done.

You should use this thread as proof instead.

...in my pants.

AuthorMessage

Morphbug

103. Posted:

Who's this Link?
Wasn't his name Zelda?

It would bee way too weird if Zelda was a girl.

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

3DS Friend Code: 0173-1330-0080 | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

AuthorMessage

scrubbyscum999

104. Posted:

This thread has gone to a debate about sexism. My prediction that this would happen is correct. I still don't see why Link should be a girl a girl. Link is a boy, that has been established for more than 25 years. There is absolutely no point in changing sexes of the characters all of sudden. It wouldn't fit. All because Link isn't "masculine". I think in the traditional sense he is very masculine. Just because he isn't bulging with muscles, have a super deep voice, and tries to constantly act macho doesn't mean he doesn't posses qualities of manhood. Things such as bravery, a strong sense of justice, selflessness, and perseverance, whether it is right or not, have been associated with traditional good male characteristics.

Edited on by scrubbyscum999

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5661-0445
Steam:scrubbyscum999

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5661-0445 | Twitter: @scrubbyscum999

AuthorMessage

Aviator

105. Posted:

And bravery, a strong sense of justice, selflessness, and perseverance, whether it is right or not, cannot be associated with a woman character?

[strong]When you touch me I die,
just a little inside,
I wonder if
this could be love.[/strong]
PSN: naviator_9

AuthorMessage

scrubbyscum999

106. Posted:

Aviator wrote:

And bravery, a strong sense of justice, selflessness, and perseverance, whether it is right or not, cannot be associated with a woman character?

I knew someone would say that. These have been considered traditionally more masculine in society. Is it right for those traits to automatically be associated with men? That is up for debate. I don't think so. However, if you look at any qualities of a traditional male hero, those have been central. All I am saying is that Link is in my opinion a masculine character, not just in the dirty, macho, in your face type of way.

AuthorMessage

Aviator

107. Posted:

And a female character can't have those characteristics as well?

just a little inside,
I wonder if

AuthorMessage

Morphbug

108. Posted:

/serious mode on
To be honest, the chances of Nintendo changing the gender of one of they most widely known and more profitable characters are very slim.

Mostly because Zelda can't be a boy.

Nintendo is too traditional to make two characters usually paired together as more-than-just-friends by crazy fans have the same gender.
They're also too traditional to have a male as the reincarnation of a goddess and the symbol of hope and purity.

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

AuthorMessage

Aviator

109. Posted:

Why does Zelda automatically have to be a boy if Link was a girl?

just a little inside,
I wonder if

AuthorMessage

Bankai

110. Posted:

Trainer_DJ wrote:

This thread has gone to a debate about sexism. My prediction that this would happen is correct. I still don't see why Link should be a girl a girl. Link is a boy, that has been established for more than 25 years. There is absolutely no point in changing sexes of the characters all of sudden. It wouldn't fit. All because Link isn't "masculine". I think in the traditional sense he is very masculine. Just because he isn't bulging with muscles, have a super deep voice, and tries to constantly act macho doesn't mean he doesn't posses qualities of manhood. Things such as bravery, a strong sense of justice, selflessness, and perseverance, whether it is right or not, have been associated with traditional good male characteristics.

One of the best ballets I have ever seen in my life was an all-male take on Swan Lake.

Yes, that included the traditionally female roles in the ballet.

This doesn't mean that the men were dancing around on pointe and doing the kind of figures that a ballerina does. It means they adopted the roles usually played by females for a male dancer.

There's no reason whatsoever that they could not do the same with Link.

For a company that is meant to be "innovative," and with a fanbase that constantly gloats about how "innovative" it is, Nintendo is very backwards when it comes to being socially progressive with narrative and the artistry of games, and the Nintendo fanbase manage to ignore this complete lack of innovation. As long as they get to rescue Zelda with a new touch screen gimmick, right?

I guess people don't really care about innovation at all. They just want fancy new gimmicky toys to play with.

Edited on by Bankai

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage

WildMan

111. Posted:

If you want to play as a female, just pressure nintendo to release a game where you play as zelda. Changing link to a girl would be like making mario a girl or samus a guy..

Mmm Chicken

3DS Friend Code: 1075-1253-2852

AuthorMessage

Bankai

112. Posted:

joker94 wrote:

If you want to play as a female, just pressure nintendo to release a game where you play as zelda. Changing link to a girl would be like making mario a girl or samus a guy..

And the problem with either of those scenarios is?

Or did you not read my last post?

AuthorMessage

WildMan

113. Posted:

It wouldn't seem right. I don't know why, it just wouldn't. It would be changing too much about the franchises I love and play. If the character is established as a guy, keep them as a guy. If they are established as a girl, keep them as a girl.

Edited on by WildMan

Mmm Chicken

AuthorMessage

scrubbyscum999

114. Posted:

Aviator wrote:

And a female character can't have those characteristics as well?

Of course a female character can, any character can have any characteristics. Seeing as how Zelda is very traditional in "damsel-in-distress" plot r at the very least Zelda needs some help from Link the legendary hero, it going through a more old style look at things.

WhiteKnight wrote:

Trainer_DJ wrote:

One of the best ballets I have ever seen in my life was an all-male take on Swan Lake.

Yes, that included the traditionally female roles in the ballet.

This doesn't mean that the men were dancing around on pointe and doing the kind of figures that a ballerina does. It means they adopted the roles usually played by females for a male dancer.

There's no reason whatsoever that they could not do the same with Link.

For a company that is meant to be "innovative," and with a fanbase that constantly gloats about how "innovative" it is, Nintendo is very backwards when it comes to being socially progressive with narrative and the artistry of games, and the Nintendo fanbase manage to ignore this complete lack of innovation. As long as they get to rescue Zelda with a new touch screen gimmick, right?

I guess people don't really care about innovation at all. They just want fancy new gimmicky toys to play with.

The way you downplay all the changes the serious has went through time it would seem that every new invention or innovation would just seem like a gimmick to you. Not every thing has to challenge some sort of deep social view, or gender roles in this case. Innovation and originality can come in many forms. Not to mention it's a serious so there is some basic things they're going to have. I still don't see what is the point of making Link a girl. It seems so random and unnecessary. This goes with changing the gender of any established character.

Edited on by scrubbyscum999

AuthorMessage

Morphbug

115. Posted:

Though, now that I remember...

There's this:
Untitled
She's not Link, but she fulfills his role in this Official Zelda game.

Does it count?

Oh look! A Morphloggery.
Oh! eShop Gurus.

AuthorMessage

Aviator

116. Posted:

Also, Link is an established character. But the boys who are the Links of their games aren't.

There is no reason that a female cannot be a descendent of Link.

just a little inside,
I wonder if

AuthorMessage

OptometristLime

117. Posted:

Aviator wrote:

Also, Link is an established character. But the boys who are the Links of their games aren't.

There is no reason that a female cannot be a descendent of Link.

False.

CanisWolfred wrote:

Obviously you guys have been watching too much Anime. Maybe Link will photosythesis, too?.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

AuthorMessage

WildMan

118. Posted:

Trainer_DJ wrote:

The way you downplay all the changes the serious has went through time it would seem that every new invention or innovation would just seem like a gimmick to you. Not every thing has to challenge some sort of deep social view, or gender roles in this case. Innovation and originality can come in many forms. Not to mention it's a serious so there is some basic things they're going to have. I still don't see what is the point of making Link a girl. It seems so random and unnecessary. This goes with changing the gender of any established character.

This is exactly what I was getting at! You are much better at wording things than I am..

Edited on by WildMan

Mmm Chicken

AuthorMessage

Aviator

119. Posted:

So the same character appears in all of the Zelda games?

just a little inside,
I wonder if

AuthorMessage

Bankai

120. Posted:

joker94 wrote:

It wouldn't seem right. I don't know why, it just wouldn't. It would be changing too much about the franchises I love and play. If the character is established as a guy, keep them as a guy. If they are established as a girl, keep them as a girl.

It's adding two 3D triangles to the polygonal mass you call "Link's" chest.

That's like 8KB of memory (16KB if you add jiggle). In a 1+GB game, I would suggest it's changing very little.

Sorry, this topic has been locked.