Forums

Topic: Retrospective opinions on GamePad

Posts 21 to 40 of 69

Banjos_Backpack

@spizzamarozzi Yes Pikmin 3 supports a variety of controllers which is great, but what you'll find is that you need the GamePad for certain things regardless of the controller you use. Things like using the map. The GamePad sucks because you are forced to use it for those kind of things. Yes I get that is more game design than the GamePad but picking it up, the feeling so early into its successor, the Switch, is horrible.

I was exactly the same when the Switch came out, but the Switch is much better. The same concept but better execution. It's what Wii U should have been in the first place. Portability, battery, snappiness etc.

I get you, but the improvements with Switch made upon Wii U's GamePad are huge. The fact when you go back and feel no similarity is enough to realise how much better Switch is and that the GamePad is now incomparable really, which is why the GamePad is the problem because the games were designed (badly) around it.

Banjos_Backpack

Orin41

In terms of where I stand with the Gamepad, yes, the Switch is better implemented by far, but my hands never got uncomfortable while playing it. If anything, the biggest problem I had with it was that the buttons felt somewhat loose after playing it so long.

Orin41

TheLZdragon

I don't mind it so much, but the biggest problem was Nintendo shoehorning it into everything

Nintendo Life Community Administrator

Splatoon 2 Rank: Splat S+, Rain S, Tower S

My Eeveeloggery

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | 3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

shadow-wolf

@Banjos_Backpack Funny I have the kinda opposite opinion to you. I love the Wii U gamepad. It’s super comfortable and large and feels like an actual controller, unlike the Wiimote and nunchuck. Speaking of Wiimote plus nunchuck , to me that is by and far the worst control setup Nintendo has made. The only control setup that REGRESSED from its predecessor in terms of available control inputs including losing a second analog stick, awkward aiming with the sensor bar that fails to work for me a lot (I have to consciously place myself so that I am in view of the bar), disembodied feeling of holding two controllers separately, etc.

However, once I played BotW I realized that despite how much I like the GamePad, the second screen experience is annoying — it felt great to just look at one screen while playing.

shadow-wolf

Buizel

shadow-wolf wrote:

it felt great to just look at one screen while playing.

I'd have to agree with this more generally outside of BOTW. Unlike the (3)DS's 2nd screen, switching between a TV and the gamepad never felt necessary or comfortable. Nintendo never really did convince us that a second screen was beneficial for a home console.

Despite this I loved the gamepad during the Wii U's life. It's surprisingly comfortable despite its bulk, the buttons are well laid out, and IMO it's the best way to play games on the Wii U (I'm not a fan of the Wii U Pro controller for some reason). But the best feature of all was off-TV play.

Unfortunately now I'd say the Switch has the gamepad beat in all of this. In addition to the portable functionality, it's slimmer, nicer looking, generally higher quality, and even more comfortable (certainly the most comfortable handheld I've played).

Overall I have very mixed feelings about the gamepad. It did lead the way for the Switch but I don't think it was necessary for that - after all, it probably did more harm to Nintendo's image than good. The console could have done without it, but I was happy to have it as part of the experience. All else the same, the Wii U would have been an extremely forgettable console if not for the gamepad.

Edited on by Buizel

Currently playing: South Park: The Fractured But Hole (Switch), Battle Chef Brigade (Switch), Hyrule Warriors (Switch), Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (PC).
Replaying: DKC Tropical Freeze (Switch), Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch).

PuppyToucher

I liked the game pad for what it was, it just seemed like Nintendo had no idea what to do with it. I still think a Wii U with dual game pad support would be the perfect madden console.

Also something I think the Wii U did better than the switch was the placement of its sticks. It is so much more comfortable to play games where the sticks are in line with one another if it’s a shooter or when the d-pad and the buttons are in line if it’s a platformer or 2d type game.

The way the switches sides are don’t make it fit as comfortable in my hands as an Xbox controller so the placement of the sticks is even more pronounced when playing a shooter in handheld mode. That is the only reason the Xbox controller gets away with it, because they get the ergonomics of the controller right. And trying to play a shooter on ps4 is even worse in my opinion. The two sticks being at the bottom make it too close together and it feels cramped.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-0626-8454-8990

My Nintendo: AgentQ723 | Nintendo Network ID: AgentQ723

Banjos_Backpack

@Orin41 at that beginning I definitely felt that, but now I don't. I can play it for hours comfortably and the Switch Pro Controller is by far the best controller I have ever held or used. My buttons feel looser from playing it so much lol. I think the hardware and how it interacts with the software is very much better but then the Switch is more a one screen device than an oversized DS.

@TheLZDragon Definitely. Options are all I would ask for. If Wii U was more like Switch in that way, Wii U would probably be more enjoyable. The GamePad should theoretically make life easier than the Switch, much like the DS to the GameBoy, but it doesn't.

@shadow-wolf lol strangely after disagreeing with me, I agree with you! Although not the first bit lol, but if the Switch came straight after the Wii I would do. I could agree in terms of the 3DS after the Wii.

The only time I really enjoyed 2 screens has been 3DS. Nintendo, I feel, learnt a lot of lessons from the DS, such as the SM64DS control set up.

Totally agree with the Wii. Again, if I had a GameCube or Pro Controller for the Wii system and games as an option, I would much prefer it. To even think of playing games like Skyward Sword and even Mario Galaxy puts me off slightly. Give me a traditional control option, it's a stronger consideration. The motion controls within the controller such as aiming in Zelda is brilliant, but leave it at that.

@Buizel Wow, I completely agree with all of this. That is exactly my feelings. Nicely put my friend. I didn't mind the Wii U Pro Controller but I prefer the Switch one by miles. I think the Wii U Pro Controller was better for retro games because the analogues were at the top, it was like a retro controller underneath them. I quite liked that. But for Smash Bros, nothing but a GameCube controller is good for me which really surprised me.

@PuppyToucher

Definitely, I don't think Nintendo knew what to do with the GamePad either. Something akin to the 3DS would have been spot on.

Just like I was saying to @Buizel about the stick placements, I agree with you in that way completely (not that the Wii U had many shooters lol). I still prefer the Switch Pro Controller but you're right about the PS4, the stick placement annoys me that way too.

Edited on by Banjos_Backpack

Banjos_Backpack

skywake

@Banjos_Backpack
I'd argue the gamepad is more comfortable than the Switch and 3DS. And of course it's less ergonomic than the pro controllers, it has a screen.

@Iconorobin
Yes, I've heard these things before. But why are they all negatives? The one about the placement of the second stick for example. Is that so horrible? If so why do people love the Gamecube with its second stick that's completely useless and the super unconventional face buttons? Why rate it bellow the Wii that lacked a second stick and half those buttons?

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, The Avalanches
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

Banjos_Backpack

@skywake I'm not sure having a screen is a compromise for comfort. The 3DS and Switch in my opinion did not sarcafice comfort for a screen. Although yes, thus far the controllers without a screen are less comfortable. I just don't think that's an excuse to be honest.

Banjos_Backpack

Iconorobin

skywake wrote:

The one about the placement of the second stick for example. Is that so horrible? If so why do people love the Gamecube with its second stick that's completely useless and the super unconventional face buttons? Why rate it bellow the Wii that lacked a second stick and half those buttons?

There's a reason almost every developer of controllers puts the right analog stick underneath the face buttons: it's easier to handle, plain and simple.
The GameCube controller sure is an oddity. The main reason why it's so beloved is because of Super Smash Bros. There simply is no better controller to play that game with. But every other game works perfectly fine with it too. I personally never encountered any problems with it, not even with 3D shooters like Metroid Prime.
The Wii's lack of a second stick is mitigated by its motion controls but it definitely is my second least favorite packed-in controller Nintendo has ever done. The reason why I put it above the WiiU gamepad is its ergonomics. For most games its a joy to hold, unlike the GamePad, which has always felt like a hassle to me.

If I'd rank them, it would go like this:
1. Switch
2. GameCube
3. SNES
4. NES
5. N64
6. Wii
7. WiiU

Iconorobin

Banjos_Backpack

@Iconorobin Can't argue with that. I agree completely with all those points. I hated Metroid Prime on Wii, aiming using the Wii Remote. Yes it simultanes the arm but I prefer dual sticks.

My ranking would be:
1. N64 (putting aside the rock hard blistering inducing control stick. If that's a GameCube stick I love the controller).
2. GameCube
3. Switch
4. SNES
5. Wii U
6. Wii
7. NES

I was never a real fan of the C stick on the GameCube other than Smash Bros, were I prefer it.

Banjos_Backpack

Grumblevolcano

I liked the Wii U Gamepad but locking so much behind it was a bad idea because when it breaks you're left with the whole console being a brick. My rankings of the controllers:
1. Switch Pro controller
2. GC controller
3. Wii U Gamepad
4. Wii U Pro controller
5. Switch Joy-Con
6. Wii Classic controller
7. Wii Remote (+ Nunchuk)
8. SNES
9. NES
10. N64

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

skywake

Banjos_Backpack wrote:

@skywake I'm not sure having a screen is a compromise for comfort. The 3DS and Switch in my opinion did not sarcafice comfort for a screen. Although yes, thus far the controllers without a screen are less comfortable. I just don't think that's an excuse to be honest.

I disagree, and if we're ranking them on usability alone I'd rank them...

1. Switch Pro (everything the Wii U Pro did but with more features)
2. Wii U Pro (I still use it for PC games)
3. WiiMote + Nunchuck (very ergonomic but too unconventional to be very versatile)
4. SNES (useless for modern games but I'd rank it high as it's the best controller for 2D)
5. Wii U GamePad (only marginally heavier than the Switch but without the hard edges)
6. Gamecube (super average D-Pad, wimpy little stick but otherwise still fairly modern)
7. Classic Controller (lots of compromises but not to the point where it's uncomfortable)
8. Switch Joycon (the best controller Nintendo has made... for a portable)
9. N64 (legitimately pretty bad, pretty much everything since has done better)
10. 3DS/DS (we put up with it because they're portables. Better than a smartphone)
11. NES (timeless... but controllers shouldn't have pointy corners)

IMO most of the complaints people have about the GamePad are people just listing differences. The whine about the positioning of the sticks in particular I just don't understand. Yes, the Wii U is the only mainstream console to ever have both sticks up the top. But what's actually horrible about it? I actually preferred it personally. I'd wager that the Switch would've probably done the same again and been better for it if it wasn't for the 2 player aspect to the JoyCon design.

Edited on by skywake

Some good Aussie musics: King Gizzard, Pond, The Avalanches
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

spizzamarozzi

Banjos_Backpack wrote:

you need the GamePad for certain things regardless of the controller you use. Things like using the map.

Honestly, I think that the interactive map on the second screen is alone one of the greatest achievements of the GamePad. I mean, you have an interactive map that you can access at any time by simply looking down for a split second, without pausing the game or waiting for it to load. If you people played Grand Theft Auto V on Playstation, you know what a miserable experience a map can be.

When I played Pikmin 3 (with nunchuck + WiiMote) I kept the GamePad on its stand next to the TV. It functioned like the radar in FIFA. If other games had the option of showing the map on a second screen (be it a GamePad or a smartphone) I would be on cloud nine because to me it's a huge improvement over the way we used to play.

If we can drive a car and look at a map in real life, or play a football game and look at a radar, I don't see why we can't play an action-adventure game and look for a split instant at a second screen. The funny thing is, when I go out I see people do a million things at once - walking while drinking coffee while texting while listening to music while chatting etc, but apparently gamers can't handle a map on a separate screen.

Top-10 games I played in 2017: The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild (WiiU) - Rogue Legacy (PS3) - Fallout 3 (PS3) - Red Dead Redemption (PS3) - Guns of Boom (MP) - Sky Force Reloaded (MP) - ...

3DS Friend Code: 0104-0649-7464 | Nintendo Network ID: spizzamarozzi

Buizel

@skywake Tbh I don't find the position of the sticks to be overly problematic on any controller... But my main issue with the Wii U pro controller is that the face buttons are too far in and down. This was not an issue on the gamepad.

Edited on by Buizel

Currently playing: South Park: The Fractured But Hole (Switch), Battle Chef Brigade (Switch), Hyrule Warriors (Switch), Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (PC).
Replaying: DKC Tropical Freeze (Switch), Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch).

LuigiTheGreenFire

Off-TV Play in a nearby room could be nice, and the universal TV remote button was a nice little feature. The controller was somewhat comfortable too. Its potential was never realized though, and I don't like how a lot of games shoehorned it in for almost no reason.

What Would W. Do?

3DS Friend Code: 3609-1033-1732 | Nintendo Network ID: Wman1996

Banjos_Backpack

@Grumblevolcano really good point, can't argue too much with that and a well selected number 1 controller too!

@Spizzamarozzi I have never played GTA V but I have played games like Breath of the Wild and Splatoon 2 which have a more than adequate map design on one screen (Switch). Comparing it to the sat nav and multi tasking in general all comes down to user interface and ease of use. Yeah people will do more things at a time than once but I am guessing they might also have trouble playing a GameBoy or 3DS and be able to really care what they're doing on their phone? In my view, one of them becomes noise, a hassle. If I'm gaming I hate getting phone notifications, so i get what you mean but I disagree. Just because people do it doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. The sat nav is slightly different. It has a voice, you have a simple direction icon and the rest is for further information. It's more of a necessity than a bonus. Pikmin 3 has a map that feels like an unnecessary bonus, which is also a hindrance in my opinion. When I'm fully focused in a game, even on 3DS, everything is at a glance, I don't want the hassle of picking up a bulky slate to check something like a map. I appreciate the map design and implementation however.

@buizel Funny, I have found that myself the odd time with button placement on that controller.

@LuigiTheGreenFire I totally agree with you. Shoe horned is my biggest issue. The potential is realised in the Switch thankfully, as is proper off TV play, and I'm with you, I really like the universal TV remote feature. Almost strange they included it however. Probably more for the TVii feature that didn't come about to its full potential or at all.

Banjos_Backpack

kkslider5552000

Tbh, to this day I have no idea why any adult would want a 3DS over a Wii U. Just playing a 3DS, like a normal game with normal button presses that is otherwise the same quality as any other good game, is more awkward and not as fun than most. maybe all, of the Nintendo systems I grew up with in the past 20. Like I feel I'm gonna somehow hurt my hands if I press a button too hard, and I have this problem with no other system I've ever owned. And it's just awkward to play a lot of games that require quicker movements.

So by that comparison alone, Wii U's Gamepad was super underrated. But the big problem is that Nintendo was too scared to try to do anything actually interesting with the interesting controller gimmicks that they themselves thought of for Wii U. It was like most self-defeating thing Nintendo has ever done. MAN WHY CAN'T MARIO KART SAVE THE WII U they say as they ruin battle mode and do nothing to justify the gimmick the entire console is built around and then pretend the Wii U has a reason to exist. No wonder it did better as a Switch game, it doesn't exist to prove critics right about the console it is on. (half-serious rant)

Like there were many reasons people were frustrated with Nintendo at this time, but for me, it's usually been Nintendo half-***ing their own new gimmick-y ideas. Wii U gimmicks ignored for reasons that in hindsight were a mistake, or at least made no positive difference to anything outside of maybe making some games easier to port (and Splatoon 2's existence makes that arguable). And don't even bring up Star Fox Zero, that was gonna make no difference, and people in reviews would've found other reasons to hate the game regardless, because of what Star Fox inherently is. Controls just gave them a good excuse. Meanwhile 3DS was focused on 3D instead of actual gameplay related things that actually matter that was difficult to consistently enjoy properly unless you waited 4 years for a new version. By contrast Switch's main gimmick makes an interesting difference to every single game on it, even if it's not itself gameplay. And even then Nintendo feels more inventive half the time, what with Wii 2.0 Joycons and cardboard construction simulator 2018.

But back on point, I feel like when the Gamepad was actually used properly, it genuinely enhanced games. Objectively, any game with a 2nd screen being a map or inventory system instead of having to pause all the time is an improvement, and between Nintendo Land, Rayman Legends, Splatoon and Mario Maker, there was so much potential that we'll never see properly utilized and that makes me so sad. Rayman Legends alone should've sold people on it, it's genuinely a masterpiece and showcased Wii U's potential perfectly.

Bioshock is 10 years old. Let's play through its horrific environment and see why its so beloved!
LeT's PlAy BIOSHOCK < Link to LP

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 50...

SKTTR

From my experience the Wii U GamePad was Nintendo's best controller.

Especially when used for

  • games that use both screens together to make an immersive or fresh experience
    (Xenoblade Chronicles X, Project Zero, Starfox Zero, Super Mario Maker, Game&Wario, Wii Sports Club Golf)
  • games that use both screens together to have easier access to maps and/or inventory and/or special move lists
    (The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess HD, Assassin's Creed III & IV, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, etc.)
  • asymetrical multiplayer (Nintendo Land, Rayman Legends, Affordable Space Adventures)
  • two-screen versus / co-op games (Hyrule Warriors, Kirby, TANK! TANK! TANK!)
  • Wii backwards compatibility (all Wii controllers work and all Wii games look great on the GamePad, there's even a Wiimote sensor bar integrated)
  • web browsing (while even watching a video on the tv)

It also had the benefits of in-built voice-chat and camera, and playing touchscreen games while still having them running in full HD (1080p) on the TV. The touchscreen is also great for typing.

Also, from my personal view, it had a great grip in my hands and was a real tank of a controller.
It had everything you could want except for out-of-home portability.

backloggery.com/SKTTR

Buizel

kkslider5552000 wrote:

But back on point, I feel like when the Gamepad was actually used properly, it genuinely enhanced games. Objectively, any game with a 2nd screen being a map or inventory system instead of having to pause all the time is an improvement, and between Nintendo Land, Rayman Legends, Splatoon and Mario Maker, there was so much potential that we'll never see properly utilized and that makes me so sad. Rayman Legends alone should've sold people on it, it's genuinely a masterpiece and showcased Wii U's potential perfectly.

Can't argue about inventory, but personally I find the better thing to do with maps is to asign them to a shoulder button - hold the button, and the map overlays your game without pausing it (several games do this, can't remember which off the top of my head). That why you can simultaneously navigate a map while keeping checks on where your character is actually moving.

That said, teleporting in the original Splatoon did feel slightly more intuitive than in Splatoon 2.

Edited on by Buizel

Currently playing: South Park: The Fractured But Hole (Switch), Battle Chef Brigade (Switch), Hyrule Warriors (Switch), Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice (PC).
Replaying: DKC Tropical Freeze (Switch), Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch).

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic