Wii U Forum

Topic: RESOLUTIONGATE (Child of Light): 1080p on PS4/XB1, 720p on Wii U!!!!

Showing 81 to 100 of 102

AuthorMessage

SCAR392

81. Posted:

@gagewolf
I don't really see how you would think that. The only reason why Wii never got HD graphics, was because it simply didn't "do" them. Wii U has higher specs, so people expect 3rd parties to make use of them, especially considering how much b****ing there has been about graphics and HD.

Wii isn't capable of higher graphics, so it doesn't get those graphics = understandable
Wii U is capable of higher graphics, but it doesn't get them = BS

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage

skywake

82. Posted:

gage_wolf wrote:

If it is as easy as a couple lines of code, as you would have us believe, then why do devs keep delaying multi-platform titles (Watch_Dogs, Lego Hobbit, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate , etc.) on the Wii U? What good does that do the devs, the consumer, anyone? The only reason I can come up with is that the Wii U requires additional porting time, that the studios consider low priority in comparison to the other platforms, so they put it off until the other versions are released.

Why do you assume it has to be both? Isn't the fact that it's a lower priority platform enough to explain this?

All ports require work and so does supporting the game post-launch. I wasn't saying a Wii U port itself was just a matter of a few lines of code. I was saying that I don't see any reason why it would be more difficult to port to Wii U than any of the other platforms. It's basically a 360 with a second screen. This isn't a Wii scenario where the hardware is well under spec and has a completely unconventional control scheme. It's definitely not a PS3 scenario where nobody knows what to do with an eight core CPU.

The reality is that the Wii U isn't a platform you can use to show off your tech (PC/PS4/XBOne) and it's not a platform you can guarantee sales on (PC/PS4/360/PS3). So there's no rush to get it done on time.

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage

brooks83

83. Posted:

Man, I used to see thread after thread of people feeling superior to Sony and MS gamers because they care about the gameplay over the graphics. What happened? I'm not really interested in this game, but I would be fine playing it in 720p. 1080p or not, the Wii U needs all the games it can get.

Edited on by brooks83

brooks83

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

84. Posted:

brooks83 wrote:

Man, I used to see thread after thread of people feeling superior to Sony and MS gamers because they care about the gameplay over the graphics. What happened? I'm not really interested in this game, but I would be fine playing it in 720p. 1080p or not, the Wii U needs all the games it can get.

but this thread's responses are mostly "who cares?" when I read through it so...?

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!

AuthorMessage

SCAR392

85. Posted:

Ya, it's not really that big of a deal. I'm pretty sure everyone agrees that getting it, is better than not getting it.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage

psxsage

86. Posted:

Given nintendos Choice to use a powerPC architecture when both Xbox one and PS4 are using X86 and making/porting games for those are easy as pie...I'd have to agree with the "Just be happy you are getting it" Mantra.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCU6bsOtsK8T5BA1zTZ1458g (My channel Liquidevil Gaming) You have to copy paste the link for some odd reason.
Cosmo black 3DSXL Friend code = 2681-1121-3963
Playstation 3,4 PSN Name = Psxsage
Galaxy Note 3,Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 Android Kitkat, Emulator heaven

AuthorMessage

memoryman3

87. Posted:

MAN1AC wrote:

This is pretty much standard for most Wii U games, right? What's the big deal?

Rayman Legends uses the same engine....
and it is 1080p.

Get ready for the HYRULE SPIDERMAN! Coming to Wii U and 3DS this summer!

Nintendo Network ID: memoryman3 | Twitter: realmemoryman3

AuthorMessage

memoryman3

88. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

Wii U will upscale it, anyway. Even if it's not 1080p, upscaled 720p is still better than just 720p.

It is worse that native 720p....

Get ready for the HYRULE SPIDERMAN! Coming to Wii U and 3DS this summer!

Nintendo Network ID: memoryman3 | Twitter: realmemoryman3

AuthorMessage

SCAR392

89. Posted:

memoryman3 wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

Wii U will upscale it, anyway. Even if it's not 1080p, upscaled 720p is still better than just 720p.

I guess it's just a matter of opinion, then. Upscaled makes things more pixelated, while native resolutions just "blur" to an appropriate pixel(given that the image is on a higher resolution screen, and no upscaling is in place, obviously)

It's basically like making the image more sharp or smooth. I prefer the sharper image.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage

skywake

90. Posted:

memoryman3 wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

Well with one you're relying on the scalers inside the TV which aren't necessarily optimised for gaming. With the other you're getting the machine's dedicated gaming orientated hardware to do the scaling. So if anything it's better to scale it on the console side.

If your display is 720p and you're displaying it at that resolution? Sure, that's better than scaling to 1080p on a 1080p screen. If you're using a 1080p screen? Scale it console side.

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage

MAN1AC

91. Posted:

memoryman3 wrote:

MAN1AC wrote:

This is pretty much standard for most Wii U games, right? What's the big deal?

Rayman Legends uses the same engine....
and it is 1080p.

I'm aware of this. It doesn't change the fact that its pretty much standard for the platform.

Four more months until Bayonetta 2.

3DS Friend Code: 0705-3088-6988 | Nintendo Network ID: MANIAC64

AuthorMessage

CaPPa

92. Posted:

Games at 720p or 1080p doesn't really matter to me as the TV that I use for gaming is only 32". At that size it is hard to see much difference.

CaPPa

AuthorMessage

banacheck

93. Posted:

Going from 720p - 1080p on my TV you can tell the difference. I don't understand what happen from Rayman Legends 1080p-60fps to Child Of Light 720p-60fps, which both use the same engine but obviously a different development team. It's the same with Watch Dogs which hasn't only been delayed but also has last gen graphics, PS3/Xbox360. This was confirmed this week just gone by the development team when talking about graphics for each platform, so it's likely it'll be 720p-30fps also.

banacheck

AuthorMessage

JustAnotherUser

94. Posted:

I think it's because Rayman Legends started development on Wii U.
Would there be a difference with 1080p? Probably as it's the input resolution (not output) using the ubi art engine.
Maybe it's at 720p because it's rendering and streaming (assuming) a 480p image at the same time.
Maybe it could have been 1080p if resources were put into it, but it is understandable it is 720p.

JustAnotherUser

AuthorMessage

Lunapplebloom

95. Posted:

@TwilightPoint an interesting point.

I'm going to be getting this game regardless for the Wii U, The only question I have is if I do on launch or wait. Choices, choices...

Like: Sonic, Yoshi, Link, and Samus
My Appleloggery and Youtube
PSN ID: sonicwildfire
Previously Applejacklove
Discostew: "I am the terror that trots in the night! I am the gleam of the moon that blinds you while you drive! I - am Gamer Luna!"
Applebloom is best CMC!

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9557-7319 | Nintendo Network ID: sonicwildfire07

AuthorMessage

SpookyMeths

96. Posted:

Weird thing about so many of these comments saying "w/e not a big deal, unless you're sitting close to the TV, you won't notice the difference anyway." Any thread that comes up about ideas for Nintendo's next portable console, people will say "HD." Not saying it's the same people in both cases, just weird.

In the case of a handheld with a 5" screen, full HD is the most pointless waste of resources that I can imagine, but apparently people want it more than they want 1080p on a home console. :P

What, like full moons, silver bullets, and eyebrows that join in the middle?

AuthorMessage

jariw

97. Posted:

Ubisoft probably made a "cheap port" partly based on the retail price for Child of Light. Having said that, some decisions Ubisoft make are really strange. I can't stop thinking that the Wii U version of Rayman Legends could have sold substantially more if they had released it when it should have been released and skipped releasing that free preview game. Perhaps even sell as much as the current figure for all platforms combined.

And I wonder what the original artists of Child of Light thinks about a multi-resolution release?

BTW, the author of "Scram Kitty and His Buddy On Rails" has some good points on platform-specific releases and some related topics:
http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/56794/scram-kitty-d...

Current Top 10: DK:TF, Pikmin 3, MK8, Stealth Inc. 2, Scram Kitty, SM3DW, LEGO City: Undercover, Bayonetta 1+2, Rayman Legends, Wind Waker HD
Looking forward to:
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker, SSB U, Affordable Space Adventures, X, Hex Heroes, Yoshi's Wooly World, and more

AuthorMessage

Action51

98. Posted:

brooks83 wrote:

For me, the problem is not that I am angry for playing a game in 720p.

The problem is that Ubisoft is half-assing another port and then expecting Nintendo console owners to kiss their butts for the privilege.
Please Ubisoft, may I pay the same price as PS4/XB1 owners for an inferior product? Thank you sir, may I have another?

Action51

AuthorMessage

unrandomsam

99. Posted:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Weird thing about so many of these comments saying "w/e not a big deal, unless you're sitting close to the TV, you won't notice the difference anyway." Any thread that comes up about ideas for Nintendo's next portable console, people will say "HD." Not saying it's the same people in both cases, just weird.

In the case of a handheld with a 5" screen, full HD is the most pointless waste of resources that I can imagine, but apparently people want it more than they want 1080p on a home console. :P

Thing about handhelds is the way to get the best price and quality for the screen would be to get one that is already made in bulk in massive quantities.

I can tell the difference between a none retina ipad and retina one just using it. For older stuff having a massive resolution would allow them to put the scanlines back better for games that use them as part of the shading.

Think there is a point where you no longer need anti aliasing as well.

I suppose the best possible case that is likely is getting something that has a sane scaling factor from the 3DS.

On a plasma GPU upscaled 720p and 1080p are less noticeably different. But anything other than 60fps doesn't work properly. (On an LCD its never acceptable).

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”

AuthorMessage

SanderEvers

100. Posted:

Ah well, it will be 1080p on my PC.

SanderEvers

Nintendo Network ID: sanderevers