Forums

Topic: RESOLUTIONGATE (Child of Light): 1080p on PS4/XB1, 720p on Wii U!!!!

Posts 61 to 80 of 100

ejamer

It would be nice to have 1080p and 60 fps. But the game will still look beautiful at 720p and I'm just glad it's coming out on Wii U considering how limited the install base is. Very much looking forward to this game!

ejamer

Nintendo Network ID: ejamer

Action51

I'm not surprised that Ubisoft is screwing over Wii U owners AGAIN.

I just lost a little more interest in Child of Light, and I have almost no desire to care about Watchdogs.

If Ubisoft's goal was to alienate Nintendo gamers and then whine about Wii U being a bad platform for them to release content...then SUCCESS!

Action51

bubble_bear

Action51 wrote:

I just lost a little more interest in Child of Light, and I have almost no desire to care about Watchdogs.

If Ubisoft's goal was to alienate Nintendo gamers and then whine about Wii U being a bad platform for them to release content...then SUCCESS!

Really? You're gonna hate on the last big 3rd party Wii U supporter? It's amazing how far spread the denial is around here. Ubisoft is a multiplatform publisher, their interests lie in SELLING GAMES. Nintendo created a videogame system that A)is under-powered B)is so different from the other systems the ports take longer than usual C) isn't selling.

You should be glad this game is hitting the U at all.

Edited on by bubble_bear

bubble_bear

Action51

gage_wolf wrote:

Action51 wrote:

Really? You're gonna hate on the last big 3rd party Wii U supporter? It's amazing how far spread the denial is around here. Ubisoft is a multiplatform publisher, their interests lie in SELLING GAMES. Nintendo created a videogame system that A)is under-powered B)is so different from the other systems the ports take longer than usual C) isn't selling.

You should be glad this game is hitting the U at all.

While I know that TC is a known hater and Nintendoom cheerleader, he actually makes a good point here.

Why should we be made to pay full price for an inferior product when we can be pretty sure the Wii U has the horsepower to run this game at it's full potential.

Let's also not fall into the trap of thinking Ubisoft has any loyalty to or respect for Nintendo consumers who made them a lot of money during the Wii/DS years. As far as they are concerned. They have no interest in maintaining that relationship or working to help build the platform. Remember the Rayman debacle? Not only did they revoke exclusivity, but they -delayed- a highly anticipated game that could have kept momentum going for the Wii U at a crucial time. Now they're delaying Watchdogs, and passing the Wii U port off to a B-team studio.

I'm sorry, but I think it's silly to jump for joy over being given the equivalent of sloppy seconds.

Action51

skywake

gage_wolf wrote:

Ubisoft is a multiplatform publisher, their interests lie in SELLING GAMES. Nintendo created a videogame system that A)is under-powered B)is so different from the other systems the ports take longer than usual C) isn't selling.

I think everyone needs to get over the idea that it's "so different", it ain't. The Wii was radically different because out of the box it didn't have four face buttons, a second analogue stick, four triggers or even a D-Pad easily accessible. It was either a NES controller with a couple of extra buttons you couldn't really reach or half a dual shock with pointer controls. The Wii U GamePad is a traditional controller with a screen on it. It's not different at all. Even the architecture isn't that different, it's basically a more efficient XBox 360 right down to the number of cores.

So lets cut the crap. Devs who aren't locked into some contract will skip the Wii U for only two reasons. They either want to do something well beyond what it's capable of (PS4/XBOne/PC) or they don't like the sales numbers (PS4/XBOne/PC/360/PS3 or PC/360/PS3). That's it. Period.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

mamp

It's at 720p and we should be angry about this!?
Man I thought Nintendo fans were all about good games and they didn't worry about silly things such as resolution, oh the irony.

The cat's the only cat who knows where it's at.
NNID: Muffin-Gun

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6586-7657

bubble_bear

@skywake
What crap are we cutting? I listed your other two points already, so was it really necessary to repeat them and then call me out on the other?

"The Wii U GamePad is a traditional controller with a screen on it. It's not different at all."

Considering I don't own any other controllers with screens on them I'm not sure how that's "traditional?" Plus doesn't having a screen on the controller make it well... different? Isn't that the whole selling point of the system?

Edit: Plus how well do you think a straight port would fare within the ol' fickle Nintendo community? No off-TV play, no touch-screen controls. Just a straight port from PS3 or 360. I imagine it would not go over well. Look how people are freaking out about a resolutions.

Edited on by bubble_bear

bubble_bear

skywake

gage_wolf wrote:

@skywake
What crap are we cutting? I listed your other two points already, so was it really necessary to repeat them and then call me out on the other?

well....

gage_wolf wrote:

Considering I don't own any other controllers with screens on them I'm not sure how that's "traditional?" Plus doesn't having a screen on the controller make it well... different? Isn't that the whole selling point of the system?

Edit: Plus how well do you think a straight port would fare within the ol' fickle Nintendo community? No off-TV play, no touch-screen controls. Just a straight port from PS3 or 360. I imagine it would not go over well. Look how people are freaking out about a resolutions.

this crap. It's a lame excuse, it's not at all the reason why developers aren't making games for the system. For a developer they can get away with treating GamePad as a standard controller, they don't need to rework everything. They can push an image to it or just mirror the screen with a couple of lines of code and call it a day. And we know it's only a couple of lines of code because of the fact that pretty much every game on Wii U right down to the indies has off-TV play working flawlessly. Touch controls? eh, who cares.

The WiiMote was different, it forced devs to spend time getting the controls working properly. The GamePad? In terms of development for third parties it's no more complicated than the XBOne's rumble triggers or the PS4's colour bar and touch pad. Doing something unique with it? Well yeah. Getting a port that end users would be happy with? Nope.

So again, cut the crap. Stop pandering to this excuse that dev PR keeps pushing.

bubble_bear

skywake wrote:

gage_wolf wrote:

@skywake

well....

gage_wolf wrote:

this crap. It's a lame excuse, it's not at all the reason why developers aren't making games for the system. For a developer they can get away with treating GamePad as a standard controller, they don't need to rework everything. They can push an image to it or just mirror the screen with a couple of lines of code and call it a day. And we know it's only a couple of lines of code because of the fact that pretty much every game on Wii U right down to the indies has off-TV play working flawlessly. Touch controls? eh, who cares.

The WiiMote was different, it forced devs to spend time getting the controls working properly. The GamePad? In terms of development for third parties it's no more complicated than the XBOne's rumble triggers or the PS4's colour bar and touch pad. Doing something unique with it? Well yeah. Getting a port that end users would be happy with? Nope.

So again, cut the crap. Stop pandering to this excuse that dev PR keeps pushing.

If it is as easy as a couple lines of code, as you would have us believe, then why do devs keep delaying multi-platform titles (Watch_Dogs, Lego Hobbit, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate , etc.) on the Wii U? What good does that do the devs, the consumer, anyone? The only reason I can come up with is that the Wii U requires additional porting time, that the studios consider low priority in comparison to the other platforms, so they put it off until the other versions are released.

Hell, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate was released on Vita before Wii U... So it's not just sales alone, there's got to be some truth to games simply taking longer to port to the U.

bubble_bear

kkslider5552000

Watch Dogs was delayed because the devs for that version were moved to more profitable versions.

Blackgate is technically an HD upgrade that was announced after the 3DS and Vita version.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

bubble_bear

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Watch Dogs was delayed because the devs for that version were moved to more profitable versions.

Blackgate is technically an HD upgrade that was announced after the 3DS and Vita version.

Watch_Dogs - that's pretty much what I said: "the Wii U requires additional porting time, that the studios consider low priority in comparison to the other platforms, so they put it off until the other versions are released."

Blackgate - my bad... that's true. But the point still remains that the Wii U was the last system to see the game. And this isn't the only case of this happening. Didn't the other Batman come late to Wii U and stripped of features?

Edited on by bubble_bear

bubble_bear

SCRAPPER392

@gage_wolf
It does require more porting time, but the concept of using the GamePad would seem more difficult, than actually doing so.

Also, Blackgate is an HD upgrade, like @kkslider5552000 says. It wasn't even expected to be a Wii U game, in the first place.

All that aside, developers ARE giving Wii U the short end of the stick. On one hand, we're getting slightly less(1080p, less texture/lighting) versions of 8th gen versions, but also a bit more(Wii remote, GamePad) compared to 7th gen versions. My guess is that we'll start seeing Wii U, or Xbox One and PS4, better match up to 8th gen standards, once Xbox 360 and PS3 drop off the radar.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

kkslider5552000

it lacked the online multiplayer in order to make the game cheaper and to make it easier for the game to succeed

sadly this didn't work despite the multiplayer being considered pretty awful

bubble_bear

None of this is worth debating over... Multi-plat games come late to the Wii U if they come at all, and that's just the truth. Arguing over why they are coming late or not coming at all is pretty pointless. I just don't think people should be complaining about lower resolutions for games that are at least hitting the Wii U, when most are skipping the system at this point.

bubble_bear

bubble_bear

SCAR392 wrote:

@gage_wolf
It does require more porting time, but the concept of using the GamePad would seem more difficult, than actually doing so.

Also, Blackgate is an HD upgrade, like @kkslider5552000 says. It wasn't even expected to be a Wii U game, in the first place.

All that aside, developers ARE giving Wii U the short end of the stick. On one hand, we're getting slightly less(1080p, less texture/lighting) versions of 8th gen versions, but also a bit more(Wii remote, GamePad) compared to 7th gen versions. My guess is that we'll start seeing Wii U, or Xbox One and PS4, better match up to 8th gen standards, once Xbox 360 and PS3 drop off the radar.

Other than 1st party titles, I don't think we're gonna see anything else remotely close to 8th gen quality (whatever that may be) on the U after this year.

bubble_bear

Action51

gage_wolf wrote:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Watch_Dogs - that's pretty much what I said: "the Wii U requires additional porting time, that the studios consider low priority in comparison to the other platforms, so they put it off until the other versions are released."

Blackgate - my bad... that's true. But the point still remains that the Wii U was the last system to see the game. And this isn't the only case of this happening. Didn't the other Batman come late to Wii U and stripped of features?

Batman Arkham Origins was released on the Wii U the same day as Xbox360/PS3/PC. It lacked the multiplayer component, but MSRP was $10 less. It ran a bit choppy when gliding around the city map, but it suffered from less tearing/glitching/bugs overall. Even the PC version had terrible game breaking bugs. The game did not sell well on Wii U, and was released to mediocre review scores.

WB Montreal pulled a really bad stunt later on when:
A) they pulled the post launch DLC from the Wii U version
B) refused to further patch the game while still selling DLC for PS3/360/PC versions

I pre-ordered Arkham Origins because I enjoyed Arkham City Armored edition a lot. I found this version lacked a lot of the special gamepad only features found in City...and the game itself wasn't very different in terms of gameplay, though the story and boss battles were decent. I did end up getting bored with it, and no Catwoman was a bit of a shame...this story could have thrown in Batgirl or another DC hero like Green Arrow or Black Canary to shake things up.

Action51

SCRAPPER392

@gagewolf
I don't really see how you would think that. The only reason why Wii never got HD graphics, was because it simply didn't "do" them. Wii U has higher specs, so people expect 3rd parties to make use of them, especially considering how much b****ing there has been about graphics and HD.

Wii isn't capable of higher graphics, so it doesn't get those graphics = understandable
Wii U is capable of higher graphics, but it doesn't get them = BS

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

skywake

gage_wolf wrote:

If it is as easy as a couple lines of code, as you would have us believe, then why do devs keep delaying multi-platform titles (Watch_Dogs, Lego Hobbit, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate , etc.) on the Wii U? What good does that do the devs, the consumer, anyone? The only reason I can come up with is that the Wii U requires additional porting time, that the studios consider low priority in comparison to the other platforms, so they put it off until the other versions are released.

Why do you assume it has to be both? Isn't the fact that it's a lower priority platform enough to explain this?

All ports require work and so does supporting the game post-launch. I wasn't saying a Wii U port itself was just a matter of a few lines of code. I was saying that I don't see any reason why it would be more difficult to port to Wii U than any of the other platforms. It's basically a 360 with a second screen. This isn't a Wii scenario where the hardware is well under spec and has a completely unconventional control scheme. It's definitely not a PS3 scenario where nobody knows what to do with an eight core CPU.

The reality is that the Wii U isn't a platform you can use to show off your tech (PC/PS4/XBOne) and it's not a platform you can guarantee sales on (PC/PS4/360/PS3). So there's no rush to get it done on time.

Edited on by skywake

brooks83

Man, I used to see thread after thread of people feeling superior to Sony and MS gamers because they care about the gameplay over the graphics. What happened? I'm not really interested in this game, but I would be fine playing it in 720p. 1080p or not, the Wii U needs all the games it can get.

Edited on by brooks83

brooks83

kkslider5552000

brooks83 wrote:

Man, I used to see thread after thread of people feeling superior to Sony and MS gamers because they care about the gameplay over the graphics. What happened? I'm not really interested in this game, but I would be fine playing it in 720p. 1080p or not, the Wii U needs all the games it can get.

but this thread's responses are mostly "who cares?" when I read through it so...?

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.