Forums

Topic: RESOLUTIONGATE (Child of Light): 1080p on PS4/XB1, 720p on Wii U!!!!

Posts 81 to 100 of 100

SCRAPPER392

Ya, it's not really that big of a deal. I'm pretty sure everyone agrees that getting it, is better than not getting it.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

psxsage

Given nintendos Choice to use a powerPC architecture when both Xbox one and PS4 are using X86 and making/porting games for those are easy as pie...I'd have to agree with the "Just be happy you are getting it" Mantra.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCU6bsOtsK8T5BA1zTZ1458g (My channel Liquidevil Gaming) You have to copy paste the link for some odd reason.
Cosmo black 3DSXL Friend code = 2681-1121-3963
Playstation 3,4 PSN Name = Psxsage
Galaxy Note 3,Galaxy Tab ...

CheapCheepBeach

MAN1AC wrote:

This is pretty much standard for most Wii U games, right? What's the big deal?

Rayman Legends uses the same engine....
and it is 1080p.

CheapCheepBeach

Nintendo Network ID: memoryman3 | Twitter:

CheapCheepBeach

SCAR392 wrote:

Wii U will upscale it, anyway. Even if it's not 1080p, upscaled 720p is still better than just 720p.

It is worse that native 720p....

CheapCheepBeach

SCRAPPER392

memoryman3 wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

Wii U will upscale it, anyway. Even if it's not 1080p, upscaled 720p is still better than just 720p.

I guess it's just a matter of opinion, then. Upscaled makes things more pixelated, while native resolutions just "blur" to an appropriate pixel(given that the image is on a higher resolution screen, and no upscaling is in place, obviously)

It's basically like making the image more sharp or smooth. I prefer the sharper image.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

skywake

memoryman3 wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

Well with one you're relying on the scalers inside the TV which aren't necessarily optimised for gaming. With the other you're getting the machine's dedicated gaming orientated hardware to do the scaling. So if anything it's better to scale it on the console side.

If your display is 720p and you're displaying it at that resolution? Sure, that's better than scaling to 1080p on a 1080p screen. If you're using a 1080p screen? Scale it console side.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

MAN1AC

memoryman3 wrote:

MAN1AC wrote:

This is pretty much standard for most Wii U games, right? What's the big deal?

Rayman Legends uses the same engine....
and it is 1080p.

I'm aware of this. It doesn't change the fact that its pretty much standard for the platform.

Four more months until Bayonetta 2.

3DS Friend Code: 0705-3088-6988 | Nintendo Network ID: MANIAC64

CaPPa

Games at 720p or 1080p doesn't really matter to me as the TV that I use for gaming is only 32". At that size it is hard to see much difference.

CaPPa

banacheck

Going from 720p - 1080p on my TV you can tell the difference. I don't understand what happen from Rayman Legends 1080p-60fps to Child Of Light 720p-60fps, which both use the same engine but obviously a different development team. It's the same with Watch Dogs which hasn't only been delayed but also has last gen graphics, PS3/Xbox360. This was confirmed this week just gone by the development team when talking about graphics for each platform, so it's likely it'll be 720p-30fps also.

banacheck

JustAnotherUser

I think it's because Rayman Legends started development on Wii U.
Would there be a difference with 1080p? Probably as it's the input resolution (not output) using the ubi art engine.
Maybe it's at 720p because it's rendering and streaming (assuming) a 480p image at the same time.
Maybe it could have been 1080p if resources were put into it, but it is understandable it is 720p.

JustAnotherUser

Lunapplebloom

@TwilightPoint an interesting point.

I'm going to be getting this game regardless for the Wii U, The only question I have is if I do on launch or wait. Choices, choices...

Like: Sonic, Yoshi, Link, and Samus
My Appleloggery and Youtube
PSN ID: sonicwildfire
Previously Applejacklove
Discostew: "I am the terror that trots in the night!...

3DS Friend Code: 3737-9557-7319 | Nintendo Network ID: sonicwildfire07 | Twitter:

CaviarMeths

Weird thing about so many of these comments saying "w/e not a big deal, unless you're sitting close to the TV, you won't notice the difference anyway." Any thread that comes up about ideas for Nintendo's next portable console, people will say "HD." Not saying it's the same people in both cases, just weird.

In the case of a handheld with a 5" screen, full HD is the most pointless waste of resources that I can imagine, but apparently people want it more than they want 1080p on a home console.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

jariw

Ubisoft probably made a "cheap port" partly based on the retail price for Child of Light. Having said that, some decisions Ubisoft make are really strange. I can't stop thinking that the Wii U version of Rayman Legends could have sold substantially more if they had released it when it should have been released and skipped releasing that free preview game. Perhaps even sell as much as the current figure for all platforms combined.

And I wonder what the original artists of Child of Light thinks about a multi-resolution release?

BTW, the author of "Scram Kitty and His Buddy On Rails" has some good points on platform-specific releases and some related topics:
http://www.officialnintendomagazine.co.uk/56794/scram-kitty-d...

jariw

Action51

brooks83 wrote:

Man, I used to see thread after thread of people feeling superior to Sony and MS gamers because they care about the gameplay over the graphics. What happened? I'm not really interested in this game, but I would be fine playing it in 720p. 1080p or not, the Wii U needs all the games it can get.

For me, the problem is not that I am angry for playing a game in 720p.

The problem is that Ubisoft is half-assing another port and then expecting Nintendo console owners to kiss their butts for the privilege.
Please Ubisoft, may I pay the same price as PS4/XB1 owners for an inferior product? Thank you sir, may I have another?

Action51

unrandomsam

CaviarMeths wrote:

Weird thing about so many of these comments saying "w/e not a big deal, unless you're sitting close to the TV, you won't notice the difference anyway." Any thread that comes up about ideas for Nintendo's next portable console, people will say "HD." Not saying it's the same people in both cases, just weird.

In the case of a handheld with a 5" screen, full HD is the most pointless waste of resources that I can imagine, but apparently people want it more than they want 1080p on a home console.

Thing about handhelds is the way to get the best price and quality for the screen would be to get one that is already made in bulk in massive quantities.

I can tell the difference between a none retina ipad and retina one just using it. For older stuff having a massive resolution would allow them to put the scanlines back better for games that use them as part of the shading.

Think there is a point where you no longer need anti aliasing as well.

I suppose the best possible case that is likely is getting something that has a sane scaling factor from the 3DS.

On a plasma GPU upscaled 720p and 1080p are less noticeably different. But anything other than 60fps doesn't work properly. (On an LCD its never acceptable).

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

CheapCheepBeach

I just saw Child of Light again and I can confirm it does look far more advanced than Rayman, with dynamic hair that strains the CPU
(Reason why it is not on handhelds)

Edited on by CheapCheepBeach

CheapCheepBeach

skywake

CaviarMeths wrote:

It's all about screen size and distance from your eyes. With a portable console you're restricted to something that can be pocketed so 5" is about the limit but you have the device at arms length. With that sort of use case 720p is about the realistic limit, the 3DS does 240p (but excluding the XL is also smaller so). Lots of room for improvement there. With something the size of a GamePad it jumps to 1080p easily. Again, lots of room for improvement.

Then you hit computer monitor sizes (~24-30") in a desk use-case and 4K starts to make sense. Going bigger to a 50" TV at reasonable couch distance you drop right back to somewhere between 1080p and 720p. Then when you go above about 60" it starts to blow out to above 1080p again. So it makes sense that people are demanding HD resolutions on their portables while being ok with 720p on their TV. Just like how it makes sense that PC gamers are all hyped about 4K already while console gamers still don't quite get it.

...... it also explains why we were fine with fairly low-res stuffs back pre-HD era. When the Wii launched the TV in the middle of our house was only about 25". When I used to play SNES games on it way back in the day, that's how long we had this set for, I was sitting at almost the full length of the SNES' cord from it. So 480p? About the same as 720p is on the shiny 50" set I use now.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

ArcadeLove

As a guy that thinks Wii U is really awesome, I can give you a very, very different point of view. First off, I believe that they purposfully didn't make it 1080p because there is this wierd "agenda" to kill Wii U because of its powerpc architecture. This is my honest opinion. I can't prove it. On that note its also why I believe Nintendo should stay away from third party developers alltogether. Nintendo should concentrate PURELY on them selves and what Nintendo gamers want. The've already seperated themselves from media (imo thankfully) the only true source of Nintendo news is Nintendo Direct. They have to be anti-social to all, but the fans, but even the fans have people planted to spew negative comments (imo). Can I prove what I'm saying? NO of course not, I do not have the means to prove it. But we all know in our hearts that there is corruption in the gaming industry and I'm proud of Nintendo for trying to stay out of it.
On a side note here's a question. Why do you think Nintendo is thinking about doing amusement parks? Imo If an artist isn't free to do what he wants, he'll say monkey you I'm out.

Edited on by LaserdiscGal

ArcadeLove

Shinion

What the heck is this? :/

Shinion

LaserdiscGal

TheLastLugia wrote:

What the heck is this? :/

A zombie thread.

LaserdiscGal

3DS Friend Code: 0688-5519-2711 | My Nintendo: pokefraker | Nintendo Network ID: pokefraker

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.