Forums

Topic: Rayman Legends delayed

Posts 201 to 220 of 360

Sean_Aaron

Bankai wrote:

Everyone is so quick to blame Ubi for all this. Perhaps people should consider that Nintendo failed at launch and Ubi is just trying to make a return on the investment?

I'm not saying that is the case, but you don't need to be a CEO to realize that this issue runs deeper than Ubi simply deciding to be obnoxious.

I'm sure the people making this decision at Ubisoft think this makes sense, but it is absolutely them who are to blame for this decision and those folk who are sending them a message that what they're doing is unacceptable are absolutely right to do so. Someone else said it best in the comments thread: the best way to handle this would have been to make a poor excuse and say the game release is being delayed further to work out bugs and add additional content. People would have been angry, but nothing like what we're seeing now. This is just a textbook example of a PR f-up, which was either fuelled by stupidity or arrogance in thinking that there would be a bit of grumbling at best. Another demo to play nice - are you kidding me?

I'm tired of repeating myself, but I'll say it again: Ubisoft made a big deal about announcing this game for the Wii U, they bigged up the launch release window, they launched a demo with three playable stages, they did interviews and Nintendo seem to have given them some preferential treatment by granting this game the top slot in the disc download section of the eShop - despite missing the December release date and then they have the gall to say that the game is being delayed because they've decided to do a multi platform release and they like to release cross-platform at the same time? Are you kidding me with defending this? I cannot imagine the knots you'd have to contort yourself into to make yourself believe this is remotely okay.

I keep saying I'm not going to boycott this game, but having written this out the taste in my mouth is so sour it'll have to get some pretty stellar reviews before I'll part with any cash for it...

@edhe: that was hilarious!

Edited on by theblackdragon

BLOG, mail: [email protected]
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

Gamesake

I doubt people will boycott this game for being late. But they will buy something else if they get tired of waiting.

...in my pants.

Sean_Aaron

I'm sure no one will boycott it for being late either, but they might boycott it for the reason it's late. We'll just have to wait and see.

FOREST_RANGER

CrimsonFire13 wrote:

The Developers of the game are mad about the delay tooo

This must be really hard for the developers since they put blood, sweat, and tears into this game. However, if you'd really like to help the developers, buy the game. You don't know how much they want to show their work of art to the public. They'd also like it if it sold very well, regardless of the public's opinion of Ubisoft. They made it. They'd like to see their hard work pay off. Besides, there have been worse relationships between a developer and publisher than this one.

And one last thing. These developers should already have an idea that the game and film industry is a tough place to be. The game industry in general has pretty tough working conditions. They'll be better as time passes.

When one is wounded, treating it is important. But it is also important to leave it alone while it heals :3

Formely known as bobbiKat

Nintendo Network ID: F0R35T_R8NG3R

NinChocolate

@Sean_aaron It's definitely not okay i agree. They swept over the fans and the audience they built up with the decision and news and showed no accountability to those customers at all. Your abacus may be telling you to pull out but have some tact.

Edited on by NinChocolate

NinChocolate

CrimsonFire

FOREST_RANGER wrote:

CrimsonFire13 wrote:

The Developers of the game are mad about the delay tooo

This must be really hard for the developers since they put blood, sweat, and tears into this game. However, if you'd really like to help the developers, buy the game. You don't know how much they want to show their work of art to the public. They'd also like it if it sold very well, regardless of the public's opinion of Ubisoft. They made it. They'd like to see their hard work pay off. Besides, there have been worse relationships between a developer and publisher than this one.

And one last thing. These developers should already have an idea that the game and film industry is a tough place to be. The game industry in general has pretty tough working conditions. They'll be better as time passes.

When one is wounded, treating it is important. But it is also important to leave it alone while it heals :3

http://www.gamnesia.com/news/rayman-legends-developer-speaks-up

Even though i am mad right now i will still buy the game, it looks Fantastic and Rayman Origins is my favorite game ever so i will have t deal with the delay and buy it later this year.(by the way i am broke right now so i probably wasnt going to buy it on release day any ways)

kkslider5552000

Someone brought up the most important point. The delay means it will take even longer to get Beyond Good and Evil 2.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Sean_Aaron

I'm sure Ubisoft will get along just fine if I fail to buy a game they release in seven months.

It's nice that people care about the developers, but I seriously doubt they're only getting paid a share of the profits on the sale of the game. Maybe the experience will move them to quit and form a new company where they can make the business decisions?

Edited on by Sean_Aaron

DefHalan

kkslider5552000 wrote:

Someone brought up the most important point. The delay means it will take even longer to get Beyond Good and Evil 2.

No what is delaying Beyond Good and Evil 2 is them not working on Beyond Good and Evil 2

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Bankai

Sean_Aaron wrote:

Bankai wrote:

Everyone is so quick to blame Ubi for all this. Perhaps people should consider that Nintendo failed at launch and Ubi is just trying to make a return on the investment?

I'm not saying that is the case, but you don't need to be a CEO to realize that this issue runs deeper than Ubi simply deciding to be obnoxious.

I'm sure the people making this decision at Ubisoft think this makes sense, but it is absolutely them who are to blame for this decision and those folk who are sending them a message that what they're doing is unacceptable are absolutely right to do so. Someone else said it best in the comments thread: the best way to handle this would have been to make a poor excuse and say the game release is being delayed further to work out bugs and add additional content. People would have been angry, but nothing like what we're seeing now. This is just a textbook example of a PR f-up, which was either fuelled by stupidity or arrogance in thinking that there would be a bit of grumbling at best. Another demo to play nice - are you kidding me?

I'm tired of repeating myself, but I'll say it again: Ubisoft made a big deal about announcing this game for the Wii U, they bigged up the launch release window, they launched a demo with three playable stages, they did interviews and Nintendo seem to have given them some preferential treatment by granting this game the top slot in the disc download section of the eShop - despite missing the December release date and then they have the gall to say that the game is being delayed because they've decided to do a multi platform release and they like to release cross-platform at the same time? Are you kidding me with defending this? I cannot imagine the knots you'd have to contort yourself into to make yourself believe this is remotely okay.

I keep saying I'm not going to boycott this game, but having written this out the taste in my mouth is so sour it'll have to get some pretty stellar reviews before I'll part with any cash for it...

@edhe: that was hilarious!

Oh. Since we're repeating ourselves.

Nintendo under delivered on its own promises of Wii U traction. Suddenly the idea of a Wii U exclusive no longer appeals to Ubisoft, who has already released a Wii U exclusive and so has an idea of the attach rates for exclusive software and such.

And apparently I am the only one that realizes that this is not a coincidence.

I don't blame Ubisoft for being a smart business. No emotionally-charged argument for why Ubisoft should compromise its financial integrity over a couple of months delay is going to change that opinion.

Given that there are people getting so upset as to say they're going to boycott Ubisoft (and therefore essentially say they want Ubisoft to lose money and people to lose jobs) over a seven month wait for a GAME is a truly embarrassing reflection on the gaming community and gamer entitlement. Judging from that poll on the main page a full 50 per cent of Nintendo fans need to take a really good, hard look at themselves and how their selfish attitudes can affect the lives of other people.

There. I'm done repeating myself. Continue to pretend that an outrage over a couple of months delay over a toy is somehow justifiable.

Bankai

Sean_Aaron wrote:

I'm sure Ubisoft will get along just fine if I fail to buy a game they release in seven months.

It's nice that people care about the developers, but I seriously doubt they're only getting paid a share of the profits on the sale of the game. Maybe the experience will move them to quit and form a new company where they can make the business decisions?

Right. Because game studios don't get closed when a game undersells.

I'll introduce you to Warren Spector sometime. I'm sure he will be happy to explain why it's no fun for an entire development team to lose job security, and then their jobs.

OptometristLime

So on the one hand a boycott is frivolous and will blow over in a few weeks/months.
On the other hand you are arguing that it will be destructive and cause the studio to close.

Convenient but not consistent.

You are what you eat from your head to your feet.

Sean_Aaron

Bankai wrote:

Judging from that poll on the main page a full 50 per cent of Nintendo fans need to take a really good, hard look at themselves and how their selfish attitudes can affect the lives of other people.

The essence of this consumer capitalist society is that the way you best communicate your displeasure with a decision made by a company is with your wallet. Calling people selfish and implying they're hurting the industry because they choose to do so is nonsense, as is trying to brush off Ubisoft's move as being either key to their financial well-being or a justifiable response to some kind of assurance made by Nintendo to them about system sales.

I agree with you that getting really angry about this does seem a bit silly (as does writing about games for a living) but you know it's a hobby, so people who enjoy it tend to take it a bit more seriously. I cannot see how someone posting on an Internet forum dedicated to the hobby wouldn't get that.

Edited on by Sean_Aaron

FOREST_RANGER

Bankai wrote:

Given that there are people getting so upset as to say they're going to boycott Ubisoft (and therefore essentially say they want Ubisoft to lose money and people to lose jobs) over a seven month wait for a GAME is a truly embarrassing reflection on the gaming community and gamer entitlement.

Yes...because they are angry...

Sean_Aaron wrote:

Not sure, but this is something that's out of our hands. And the entertainment industry can be a tough one for workers. But this is the way I see it: people who enter the industry just want to make games. Those who truly love to make games are well aware of the difficulty. To get an idea of the usual days in the industry, this video does a neat job of conveying it. And for the indie dev life, there's always Indie Game: The movie. Try watching it sometime...if it's available in Europe.

Formely known as bobbiKat

Nintendo Network ID: F0R35T_R8NG3R

Bankai

Sean_Aaron wrote:

Bankai wrote:

Judging from that poll on the main page a full 50 per cent of Nintendo fans need to take a really good, hard look at themselves and how their selfish attitudes can affect the lives of other people.

The essence of this consumer capitalist society is that the way you best communicate your displeasure with a decision made by a company is with your wallet. Calling people selfish and implying they're hurting the industry because they choose to do so is nonsense, as is trying to brush off Ubisoft's move as being either key to their financial well-being or a justifiable response to some kind of assurance made by Nintendo to them about system sales.

I agree with you that getting really angry about this does seem a bit silly (as does writing about games for a living) but you know it's a hobby, so people who enjoy it tend to take it a bit more seriously. I cannot see how someone posting on an Internet forum dedicated to the hobby wouldn't get that.

I would understand the anger if Ubisoft cancelled the game in preference to other platforms. I would understand the anger if Ubi put the game's release on indefinite hold.

But to wish harm on a company for the sole reason that you need to wait half a year for the game? No, that is a childish response.

I'm not talking specifically about you here, but... Well, you've seen the reactions too. You should realize what I'm talking about.

Sean_Aaron

FOREST_RANGER wrote:

To get an idea of the usual days in the industry, this video does a neat job of conveying it. And for the indie dev life, there's always Indie Game: The movie. Try watching it sometime...if it's available in Europe.

That was a very good video. I had read about the Team Bondi fiasco and thought it was pretty outrageous; no way I'd work under those conditions. I'll definitely look out for that film too, thanks.

Ideal_Hero

Bankai wrote:

Sean_Aaron wrote:

Bankai wrote:

I would understand the anger if Ubisoft cancelled the game in preference to other platforms. I would understand the anger if Ubi put the game's release on indefinite hold.

But to wish harm on a company for the sole reason that you need to wait half a year for the game? No, that is a childish response.

I'm not talking specifically about you here, but... Well, you've seen the reactions too. You should realize what I'm talking about.

Yes. Flipping out and throwing a tantrum is childish. However this:

Bankai wrote:

OUTRAGE! How DARE a company try and preserve the jobs of a few hundred people. There are NINTENDO GAMERS THAT WANT IT NOW!

Honestly, the reaction of the Nintendo Dude Fraternity to this announcement is the single most embarrassing case of gamer entitlement that I have ever seen in my 25 years of being a gamer.

Congratulations kids you have made me want to sell my Wii U and 3DS just so I can avoid any possible association to you, ever.

isn't exactly the epitome of sophisticated adult behavior.

The Hero of Ideals: A Legend, by True_Hero
I believe that once one has spotted a UFO it becomes an IFO(Identif...

3DS Friend Code: 2105-8724-1357 | Nintendo Network ID: Ideal_Hero

kkslider5552000

I think the real reason they're angry is that for many people it was their annual game on a Nintendo system that isn't published or developed by Nintendo.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.