Forums

Topic: Predictable Pachter: 'Nintendo Probably Can't Recover from' Wii U

Posts 81 to 89 of 89

renaryuugufan92

Deja Vu..

when i got the 3DS in June 2011 i remember reading alot of "3DS is doomed articles" then the price drop came, sales picked up a little and then once SM3DL and MK7 launched, the 3DS took off, after that we got a huge year of releases for the 3DS in 2012 (will have more this year too) and sales jumped from 6 million some at the end of 2011 to 29+ million just after christmas of 2012~!

the difference between the Wii and the Wii U's sales is rather simple really, i mean think about it.
The Wii despite not having HD graphics (( ppl on youtube who bash Nintendo, thats ALL they seem to talk about~ =.= graphics graphics graphics, buy a painting, or take up photography plz~ lol )) had the advantage of motion control, which was brand new, and caught the attention of alot of people, not only that but the Wii launched with Zelda Twilight Princess which helped a great deal (it was my first Wii game not counting the pack in) and the advertising did a good job of showcasing what Nintendo was aiming for with the Wii's motion controls. When all was said and done the Wii had a rather good formula for success~!
in 2006 throughout all of 2007 you had: a launch with Zelda, the innovation of Wii Sports, a consumer value price-point, great advertising, super paper mario, super mario galaxy, resident evil 4 wii edition, and metroid prime 3: corruption all of which helped to serve the wii well in driving sales, just in the first year alone~!

Now we come to the Wii U, what is wrong~?

Well its simple, the gamepad as innovative as it is, does not capture the imagination or appeal the wii did, and software is what the console needs. Despite having a amazing launch line up there are many who already own most of the line up games, lets face it both the 360 and PS3 have install bases of 70+ million. New Super Mario Bros. U should have drove sales up, and it has but the thing is, alot of ppl are playing the wait and see game as its called, what i mean by this is, most teens and young adults are waiting for Sony's (probably tomorrow on the 20th) and Microsoft's next batch of console announcements. Think about this, when the Wii launched the 360 had been out for a year, and the PS3 launched 2 days before it, and the Wii took off partly because parents saw the tempting price point ( i myself bought the Wii before deciding on the other 2 years later) and that is whats happening now, with the Wii U being the only eighth generation console out right now, no one knows if the PS4 or the 720 are going to cost the same or more than the Wii U, and so a good deal of people will wait, and this was all just on price.

Games~!
January and February have been murder for the Wii U with major games delayed (( Ubisoft =.= )), Nintendo had to cut forecasts due to this as we all know and Iwata even apologized to us for the lack of games~ I'm going to go straight to the point here, we need the games slated for march and april to boost Wii U sales, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, Need for Speed Most Wanted Wii U edition, etc. these games are critical to boosting the Wii U's sales, however these alone may not provide the boost Nintendo needs, which we may not see until this summer after E3 at the earliest. Nintendo may have to push out the next 3D Mario (lets face it a large chunk of ppl wanted a 3D mario more then NSMBU), Mario kart, and that Wind Waker HD remake asap, BUT once the core Nintendo games are out, it will be all uphill from there, I expect sales will recover just like they did with the 3DS throughout 2012~

Now, Advertizing~!
Since december I myself have seen almost no new advertizments for the Wii U, now this is a problem, a MAJOR problem for Nintendo and those who don't know about it, or those who think the Wii U is just a Wii with a fancy controller! Nintendo needs to advertise more, they need to show how the gamepad will evolutionize gaming, what types of games people will enjoy on the system, and convey its core value. Without all of this 2013 may be a repeat of the 3DS's 2011 sales year, but this time it will be the Wii U that repeats history, 2013 may be a slow one, but things will hopefully pick up going into 2014~

With all of this said, the Wii U is on a brighter track than the GCN though, despite poor sales and all, but times have changed, the market has changed drastically in the last 6 years, and Nintendo really needs to advertise above all else in my opinion, and second their advertising with the games we all want and love~!

Style Savvy Shop Code: R22M60G78 | XboxLive: NikkiChan92 | Steam: Nikki_chan92 | Switch FC: SW-0079-0452-6231

Switch Friend Code: SW-0079-0452-6231 | 3DS Friend Code: 0001-3400-5874

rallydefault

One time I swam in a friend's pool with one of those old Nokia brickphones in my pocket for like a good 5 minutes. Realized I had the phone in there, took it out, set it in the sun to dry, and the thing still worked perfectly.

I had an iPod slim (or whatever the heck it was) a couple years ago. I was biking home and it was raining. The iPod was in my backpack, safely insulated from the rain. I got home, took it out, and the thing was busted. That was the last Apple product I owned.

Why did I post this? ... I don't know. Oh. Because I bet I couldn't take my Wii U in my friend's swimming pool and still have it work. Ha! Shoddy craftsmanship is going to doom this company.

rallydefault

Chrono_Cross

SCAR392 wrote:

REALLY

Yes, we are REALLY done here because I'm not debating opinions with you for four pages.

Just for you.
"I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear." - Freddie Mercury

SCRAPPER392

Chrono_Cross wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

REALLY

Yes, we are REALLY done here because I'm not debating opinions with you for four pages.

Fair enough. I think Wii U is gonna do great, especially with the younger crowd. I said this in an earlier post, but I think Wii U vs. PS4/Xbox 1080 is gonna be like PS2 vs. Dreamcast respectively.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

Bankai

SCAR392 wrote:

Chrono_Cross wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

REALLY

Fair enough. I think Wii U is gonna do great, especially with the younger crowd. I said this in an earlier post, but I think Wii U vs. PS4/Xbox 1080 is gonna be like PS2 vs. Dreamcast respectively.

I really do hope for your sake that you realise some day that if you want people (bosses, clients, family, friends) to take you seriously you're going to have to learn how to back up your opinions with something concrete.

It could be scientific data. It could be well-researched references to articles and books on the subject (not Wikipedia. Legitimate resources). It could be experience earned by working in - and being successful - in the field you're talking about. There's plenty of different ways you can support an opinion in a way that people might not agree with you, but can at least appreciate you know what you're talking about.

But right now, on this forum, all I ever see you post is "I think."

"I think" really won't get you far in life. You need to transition that to "I know," or at least be able to come up with supporting evidence to support your theories that can't be proven.

Edited on by Bankai

SCRAPPER392

@Bankai
You don't think? I wonder how that feels. If no one ever said 'I think', we wouldn't even have science in the first place.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

Burning_Spear

Where oh where is the Black Dragon???

Mechabot Ultror Fights Again

retired_account

Think it's funny how people get pissy whenever this guy says something negative about Nintendo. Why bother?

retired_account

theblackdragon

Bankai wrote:

But right now, on this forum, all I ever see you post is "I think."

How is that not relevant to the article at hand? Pachter's posting what he thinks, other people get to post what they think. Or, at least, they do until I see you start diving down people's throats demanding proof for the nth time when it's not necessary at all, and I'm reminded that we have this same general discussion every single time Pachter opens his mouth. If this hits the main site (and i hope like hell it doesn't, I'm so sick of Pachter articles and the associated drama i could spit), please remember that your fellow users are (largely) not journalists. They're (mostly) not professionals in the field of video games specifically. They're people here to have fun and talk about video games, to engage in casual discussions, and we invite them to do so (provided the Community Rules are followed, of course). If you want to get down and talk only to professionals in the fields of video games and video game journalism, this is not the place for you.

@Burning_Spear: I'm guessing you're asking me to lock this thread? Wish granted.

BEST THREAD EVER
future of NL >:3
[16:43] James: I should learn these site rules more clearly
[16:44] LztheBlehBird: James doesn't know the rules? For shame!!!

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6802-7042 | Nintendo Network ID: gentlemen_cat | Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.