Forums

Topic: Predict what's going to be revealed at the Spike awards.

Posts 141 to 160 of 309

CanisWolfred

the_shpydar wrote:

Ugh. May I request that the next person who climbs up on their high-horse and uses the ridiculously stupid term "dudebro" immediately gets a lifetime ban from this site?

To be perfectly fair, we're talking about a Spike-related award Show. Spike, the channel that bills itself as "The Network for Men", whose slogan used to be "get some action" before external pressure forced them to change it to "Get Real". They are the same network that used to host the VGA's, where if a game had any color that wasn't a shade of grey or brown, it was practically banned from being nominated. While they promise to change things with VGX, they still have a long way to go before they disprove the long held fact that they deserve each and every "dudebro" thrown their way.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Blast

CanisWolfred wrote:

the_shpydar wrote:

Ugh. May I request that the next person who climbs up on their high-horse and uses the ridiculously stupid term "dudebro" immediately gets a lifetime ban from this site?

To be perfectly fair, we're talking about a Spike-related award Show. Spike, the channel that bills itself as "The Network for Men", whose slogan used to be "get some action" before external pressure forced them to change it to "Get Real". They are the same network that used to host the VGA's, where if a game had any color that wasn't a shade of grey or brown, it was practically banned from being nominated. While they promise to change things with VGX, they still have a long way to go before they disprove the long held fact that they deserve each and every "dudebro" thrown their way.

@CanisWolfred Thank you. You explained it better than I previously did.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

Blast

Once again... I think Nintendo would win VGX if they did these 3 vital things:
1: Bayonetta 2 trailer
2. Monolith's X trailer
3: A screenshot for either Legend of Zelda: Wii U or StarFox U or Metroid U then Reggie says, "More details at E3 2014."
THATS ALL THEY GOTTA DO TO WIN AND PROMOTE THE WII U.

Master of the Hype Train

Ryno

Nintendogs + Cats + U is my best guess

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

GuSolarFlare

Ryno wrote:

Nintendogs + Cats + U is my best guess

Nintendogs+Cats+Urchins
they'll put Hedgehogs in it(Sonic I'm looking at you )

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

Blast

@Kodeen Ummm.... No.... >.> Thats not what I meant at all. Reread what @CanisWolfred and others said in this thread to the guy who said we shouldn't call them "dudebro" gamers.

Master of the Hype Train

the_shpydar

Kodeen wrote:

Blastoise-san wrote:

What else do we call gamers that ...

Why do you have to call them anything? The gist of your post was "there are people that have an opinion different than my own, therefore they are automatically untermensch and deserve to be labeled as such."

Exactly, thank you. It's a stupid elitist term, used by people who feel the need to label people who like things different than what they like, and then ironically get angry when they themselves are labeled.

The Shpydarloggery
She-Ra is awesome. If you believe otherwise, you are clearly wrong.
Urban Champion is GLORIOUS.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5973-1398-6394 | 3DS Friend Code: 2578-3211-9319 | My Nintendo: theShpydar | Nintendo Network ID: theShpydar

CanisWolfred

@Blastoise-San I don't think you understood what I'm trying to say. I wasn't validating the existance of the "dudebro" gamer so much as saying that Spike TV deserves every insults you can throw at it, as It's a channel specifically meant to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

CM30

What do I realistically think will be revealed? Or what SHOULD be revealed?

Should:

Some big third party support for the Wii U, like GTA or something
Zelda
Huge Smash Bros trailer with tons of newcomers
Some other big first party game reveal

Likely will:

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze's fourth character
Some lesser known game no one gives a toss about
Something not game related that no one also gives a toss about.

Try out Gaming Reinvented, my new gaming forum and website!
Also, if you're a Wario series fan, check out Wario Forums today! Your only place for Wario series discussion!
My 3DS Friend Code: 4983-5165-4...

Twitter:

kyuubikid213

I hope Nintendo doesn't reveal anything more about Donkey Kong. The game looks great and I want to play it if I ever get the chance (considering one of my first games was Donkey Kong on the GBC), but this show isn't the place for that.

They have to show a Nintendo title that is geared specifically toward a more action-oriented, mature audience. Something along the lines of Metroid or Zelda. Since we have no clue if Metroid is even a thing for the Wii U yet and we know about the Zelda game in production, I would hope Nintendo would show off the newest Zelda game, provided it has more of a Majora's Mask/Twilight Princess vibe around it, to coerce the "hardcore" gamers into buying a Wii U. Maybe a Zelda game in general would be enough.

I own a PS1, GBA, GBA SP, Wii (GCN), 360, 3DS, PC (Laptop), Wii U, and PS4.
I used to own a GBC, PS2, and DS Lite

I'm on YouTube.

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I pro...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

shingi_70

@Blastoise-san

Dudebro has a term that's always never made an sense. It comes down to pretty much every popular game and what the Mass Market likes even if the game in question doesn't have any dude bro conventions. Its the same as sterotyping the people who like Wii Spots and Kinect as causal. I understand where you would be coming from using each terms but their bit unfair.

In essence define dudebro?

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

GuSolarFlare

CanisWolfred wrote:

@Blastoise-San I don't think you understood what I'm trying to say. I wasn't validating the existance of the "dudebro" gamer so much as saying that Spike TV deserves every insults you can throw at it, as It's a channel specifically meant to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

blame the media not the audience, after all every media tries to control the mind of its audience.(I'm not joking, not even a little)

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
my Backloggery

skywake

shingi_70 wrote:

Dudebro has a term that's always never made an sense. It comes down to pretty much every popular game and what the Mass Market likes even if the game in question doesn't have any dude bro conventions. Its the same as sterotyping the people who like Wii Spots and Kinect as causal. I understand where you would be coming from using each terms but their bit unfair.

In essence define dudebro?

It's pretty simple. Back in the 90s gaming was a hobby that skewed heavily towards the nerdy, socially awkward male. That group still tends to be the most enthusiastic and plays a large variety of games. Strategy, RPGs, Racers, Platformers and so on. The "traditional" gamer didn't care what it was, what anyone thought or how long it took to get good at it as long as it was fun.

The "Dudebro" I would assume refers to the new group of people who appeared when the barrier for entry dropped to allow in the non-nerdy crowd. They stereotype would say that these players are all about quick, easy and violent gaming. Plug in and start killing people. It's the gaming equivalent of the action movie or sitting around on a weekend watching the sport. Basically the nerd's arch nemesis, the jock.

Where the looking down the nose at "those people" falls apart I think is that most of us like to be "dudebros" every now and then. Sometimes you don't want to sit down and watch Hugo, Blade Runner, Toy Story or Inception. Sometimes you feel like watching Die Hard, Con Air or lounging in the backyard with a cold drink and the cricket going. The problem isn't on one side, the problem is people refusing to experience the breadth of the medium from whatever angle they come from. Not because they don't like it but because they think they're somehow above it.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

UTXGamer

I don't know what will be shown for Wii U but I have the feeling we will see another E3 type meltdown after the announcement. Somehow people get themselves worked up into believing we will see Zelda, X, a new Metroid or a new IP or something big when there has been no evidence that it will be something like that.

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/users/AgentCarmichael

Nintendo Network ID: AgentCarmichael

shingi_70

@Skywake

I could agree with that, and I will admit I do use dudebro as a short hand for the Call of Duty's of the world. With that said I do feel their is a certain sub group in the Nintendo community that uses the term as an indicator for anything non Nintendo or with bright colors.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

GuSolarFlare

UTXGamer wrote:

I don't know what will be shown for Wii U but I have the feeling we will see another E3 type meltdown after the announcement. Somehow people get themselves worked up into believing we will see Zelda, X, a new Metroid or a new IP or something big when there has been no evidence that it will be something like that.

surely, but you can at least bet the announcement won't be a "kiddie game" this time around(unless Nintendo wants to lose some money) that's why most people think it'll be Zelda, X, Metroid, Bayoneta, etc. it's 'cause they're the least kiddie things Nintendo can offer and be predicted(new IPs are unpredictable, to a certain extent, so they don't count)

so what's exactly "dudebro"? I always thought it was a term for gamers that ONLY play M rated games with violence and explosions everywhere(and thought the name came because most of those game's online servers are filled with people who use tons of "slang")

Edited on by GuSolarFlare

my Backloggery

GotWiiD

but new IP would be really cool if it was aimed at a more mature audiance, we know we will get our mario, zelda, donkey kong games etc, right now nintendo has to prove they can deliever the other stuff, by doing so could bring more third party support, thats how you sell systems.

nintendo needs more of their own first party games to be more then just mario/zelda/donkey kong, they are great games dont get me wrong.

Wii U : GotWiiD

CaviarMeths

I'm a little confused why a couple people in this thread are taking a term that doesn't apply to them, distorting it until it does apply to them, and then getting offended by it.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

renaryuugufan92

hopefully Zelda U

Style Savvy Shop Code: R22M60G78 | XboxLive: NikkiChan92 | Steam: Nikki_chan92 | Switch FC: SW-0079-0452-6231

Switch Friend Code: SW-0079-0452-6231 | 3DS Friend Code: 0001-3400-5874

WrappedInBlack

L4D3 or HL3 (L4D would be better)
Zelda Wii U/Smash Bros trailer with Zelda characters
Halo 5

Brawl Code: 0348-2005-6973

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.