Forums

Topic: Paper Mario: Color Splash - OT

Posts 801 to 820 of 960

kkslider5552000

You know, it was said for a good chunk of Wii U's lifespan, regardless of bad sales, Nintendo clearly had confidence in their products. This is the complete opposite.

I don't need to talk about why this Paper Mario situation is a disaster. It's apparent just by NINTENDO THEMSELVES. This is the most desperate thing I think I've ever seen Nintendo do. They do not believe this game can succeed through quality. They believed Codename STEAM could sell more than this game (now, I'm sure this game will sell better than that but still...)

The last time I saw Nintendo do so little for what should be a big release, it was for GAMES ORIGINALLY NOT PLANNED TO EVEN BE RELEASED IN NORTH AMERICA.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Grumblevolcano

@kkslider5552000 I have to disagree, XCX takes that position. They did very little for that game closer to launch. It was all about Smash DLC, Super Mario Maker and new Splatoon updates at that point instead.

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

meleebrawler

The ad is clearly aimed towards really young players who are too blissfully ignorant to tell the difference between game genres. They also don't judge games based on previous experiences. A bit defeatist to be sure, but also an unfortunate lesson learned from Federation Force, in that there's no point in trying to appeal to "mature fans" to try something new.

@DarthNocturnal Maybe you know that, but the general vibe I get from naysayers is that unless a character is 100% original and/or visually distinct, they don't give a hoot if they actually have an interesting personality. If, say, Rawk Hawk became a mainstream character, do you think he'd be remembered as fondly as he is now? Certainly not, unless his character continued to be developed. Originality can be a factor in memorability, but it isn't the end-all. I haven't even played the game yet, but I already still remember blue mid-life crisis surfing Toad.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

CM30

I don't get that from naysayers at all. I get that they want characters to be both visually distinct and have a unique personality, and the recent Paper Mario games (at best) tick only one of those boxes. If every single Mario character (including Mario, Luigi and Peach) were all identical Toads but had the same personality, would the characters be as good as they are?

Probably not.

As for your Rawk Hawk example... that's misleading. If he became a mainstream character, he'd likely get a more distinct personality. Like say, Wario, Daisy or Yoshi.

(Though Waluigi shows that having a defined personality isn't really a necessity for a Mario character to be 'mainstream').

And hey, then there's Fawful, who's the nearest Mario & Luigi has to a new regular character, and someone the fans still like despite being fairly similar in personality over all three games he's been in. At this point, if you put him in say, Mario Kart, a lot of fans would be absolutely overjoyed.

kkslider5552000 wrote:

You know, it was said for a good chunk of Wii U's lifespan, regardless of bad sales, Nintendo clearly had confidence in their products. This is the complete opposite.

I don't need to talk about why this Paper Mario situation is a disaster. It's apparent just by NINTENDO THEMSELVES. This is the most desperate thing I think I've ever seen Nintendo do. They do not believe this game can succeed through quality. They believed Codename STEAM could sell more than this game (now, I'm sure this game will sell better than that but still...)

The last time I saw Nintendo do so little for what should be a big release, it was for GAMES ORIGINALLY NOT PLANNED TO EVEN BE RELEASED IN NORTH AMERICA.

At this point, I suspect Nintendo has basically accepted the Wii U is dead, and is all "screw it, let's just see what sticks".

Try out Gaming Reinvented, my new gaming forum and website!
Also, if you're a Wario series fan, check out Wario Forums today! Your only place for Wario series discussion!
My 3DS Friend Code: 4983-5165-4...

Twitter:

TuVictus

After that interview with the "all toads, right?", I have no faith in the paper Mario team to realize what made the first few games so memorable.

That said, I have gained access to this game sooner than expected thanks to a certain someone being lucky enough to gain the pre load when it was available. So I'll try and see if it holds my attention longer than the two hours sticker star did

TuVictus

kkslider5552000

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@kkslider5552000 I have to disagree, XCX takes that position. They did very little for that game closer to launch. It was all about Smash DLC, Super Mario Maker and new Splatoon updates at that point instead.

No?

I remember seeing quite a bit from Nintendo about Xenoblade tbh. Not on the level of a big release, but more than this. And regardless, the game did a vastly better job of being able to sell itself.

Octane

@DarthNocturnal I do agree with you. It's that ''sterile NSMB'' thing that creeps up in a lot of the Mario games. That can be either a good or a bad thing. Then again, Super Mario Sunshine only had Piantas and Nokis (two kinds of NPCs) and that game didn't feel lackluster in that regard in my opinion. So maybe an only-Toad game like this can work, but I agree that they could've expanded the NPCs a little more. Nevertheless, previews sound good and the trailers look pretty good, so I'm looking forward to it.

Octane

CapeSmash

Some interesting concept art.

Untitled

Huey went thought a lot of designs.

Untitled

It seems that Bowser was originally going to wear a cape, which seemed to be its own separate character too. Why did they scrap that? Seems cool... almost unique even.

Untitled

The Rock Paper Wizard was originally going to look much different. It appears to be a Toad under a sheet, it kinda looks like a ghost. The one on the top right looks like Duplighost/Lantern Ghost.

Untitled

And finally, here we have some Toad designs. I have absolutely no idea why they didn't go with some of those pirate Toad designs. The ones on the middle row look especially awesome.

Edited on by CapeSmash

Smash Mains:
N64: Captain Falcon
Melee: Mario
Brawl: Sonic
Project M: Link
Smash 3DS: Captain Falcon
Smash Wii U: Ganondorf

TuVictus

Ah look at all the stuff that miyamoto threw out

TuVictus

Grumblevolcano

@CapeSmash Is this unlockable concept art like how puzzle pieces unlocked concept art in DKCR/DKCTF or just stuff randomly found on a website?

Grumblevolcano

Switch Friend Code: SW-2595-6790-2897 | 3DS Friend Code: 3926-6300-7087 | Nintendo Network ID: GrumbleVolcano

Mister_Wu

Grumblevolcano wrote:

@CapeSmash Is this unlockable concept art like how puzzle pieces unlocked concept art in DKCR/DKCTF or just stuff randomly found on a website?

Concept art is unlocked by donating Cards to the museum (if you remember Sticker Star, it's similar in concept, but concept art is gradually unlocked this time).

Mister_Wu

Mister_Wu

Meowpheel wrote:

Turns out the ending does change a bit if you 100% the game, so Yay.

Interesting! 100% means all Cards to the museum, all Super Flags obtained and colorless spots restored, or only the latter?

Edited on by Mister_Wu

Mister_Wu

Eel

Mister_Wu wrote:

Meowpheel wrote:

Turns out the ending does change a bit if you 100% the game, so Yay.

Interesting! 100% means all Cards to the museum, all Super Flags obtained and colorless spots restored, or only the latter?

I assume it's getting all the achievement flags and Luigis, but I don't know the exact details.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

kkslider5552000

I somehow just realized that they don't want Paper Mario to be an RPG series anymore, while relying on turn based RPG battles. When Super Paper Mario already wasn't turn based but is ignored so it can be turn based, like the RPGs.

...god this is so backwards...

Edited on by kkslider5552000

SLIGEACH_EIRE

^^^ Ya this game bothers me in a lot of ways. I seen a story a few hours ago that reminds me of how uninspiring and some might call it conservative but I call it lazy.

http://gonintendo.com/stories/266070-a-look-at-some-unlockabl...

And yet I've it preordered. I knew Star Fox Zero would disappoint me and boy did it. I spent €100 on it between the Collectors Edition and the Solus version. There's something wrong with me giving them money for franchises where it's not what most people wanted them to do with the game. I'll await some reviews, I know it won't be as bad as SFZ, that was by far the biggest disappointment from them in quite some time. That game for me is so bad it angers me. I think Paper Mario: ColoUr Splash will average decently, possibly as high as 80% but it could have been so much more.

TLDR, SFZ I knew would be bad, this I think will be good but not great.

Edited on by SLIGEACH_EIRE

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

Mister_Wu

@CapeSmash One thing to note: the cape that was meant to be the true villain was, like the wands of the Koopalings having the same colors of the Paint Stars (and of the Black Paint) and the SMB3 level, probably another reference to SMB3:
Untitled

It's really odd to see how much the team tried to create something more similar to the first Paper Mario (the Rock Paper Wizard was similar to a Duplighost from the first game) and then it had to go back to a style more similar to Sticker Star (although at least they managed to keep the different outfits...).

Thankfully, this didn't happen in the settings, so the rocky desert with the train seen in the first two games came back in this too, along with other settings (like Fort Cobalt or the Emerald Circus) that are not derived from the NSMB series. And, indeed, I like the settings I have seen so far in Color Splash.

Edited on by Mister_Wu

Mister_Wu

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Anyone else think it was no accident that the early digital leak of the game happened? It generated a bit of publicity and the early players can try and do some damage control. Let's face it, those early buyers didn't preload the game because they hate it so much. It's Nintendo's cheap way of advertising. I don't expect to see a single ad on TV for the game. There hasn't been Wii U ads in Ireland for well over 2 years, not since MK8. What's it like in the States? Do they put Wii U ads on mainstream TV, do they put ads on kiddy channels or nothing at all?

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

Grumblevolcano

@SLIGEACH_EIRE I think it was an accident because it's the only Wii U game between now and NX reveal. Seeing as I'm increasingly doubting that the NX will be revealed this year, Nintendo doesn't have much to fall back on with the home console side of things if the Eurogamer leaks are correct and you can use the NX with your TV.

Grumblevolcano

DonkeyKongJump

This shouldn't need to be considered a spoiler, so I'm not putting spoiler tags on this:

Luigi talks.

So that makes the game 50% better already.

DonkeyKongJump

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.