Forums

Topic: Paper Mario: Color Splash - OT

Posts 741 to 760 of 960

CM30

Well, I suspect this game will bomb regardless of quality. It's on a dying system, with nothing else to support it, just outside the holiday season and with a gameplay style large portions of people don't like and will boycott the game for. That's a bad situation for any game.

Try out Gaming Reinvented, my new gaming forum and website!
Also, if you're a Wario series fan, check out Wario Forums today! Your only place for Wario series discussion!
My 3DS Friend Code: 4983-5165-4...

Twitter:

meleebrawler

@CM30 The hate for this game seems to have mostly been quelled. Some have made 180s, others just mellowed to disappointment instead of rage, but at any rate it currently seems far below than what Federation Force had. Other factors making this game's outlook not so bleak are a) it's a Mario game, and b) regarding the holidays, you could also argue that it has basically no competition for Wii U owners, other than perhaps the NES Mini. It probably won't move systems and the sales will reflect that, but it'll likely still do decently all things considered. It also helps that the game's lone status lets Nintendo devote more time to showcasing bits of it, a key factor in shifting opinions.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

CM30

Decently for the Wii U is still pretty terrible compared to the other games in the series. This game could literally be the second coming of the Thousand Year Door messiah and fail to sell more than a million copies.

It being a Mario game helps, but remember, 3D World and New Super Mario Bros/Luigi U are also Mario games, and they sold about a quarter of what their predecessors did. And this isn't a platformer or kart game, but an RPG in a series that has sold more than 2.5 million copies exactly once in its history... on Nintendo's best selling system in decades.

I'll be very surprised if it sells more than 1 million copies here.

Try out Gaming Reinvented, my new gaming forum and website!
Also, if you're a Wario series fan, check out Wario Forums today! Your only place for Wario series discussion!
My 3DS Friend Code: 4983-5165-4...

Twitter:

kkslider5552000

So if you want the tl;dr about this game (as much as can be gathered before release anyway).

Developers work for years to make an HD, much better version of their previous game, Nintendo does nothing to make fans happy in order to make this release more tolerable to them (outside of showcasing that the story elements are not nearly as toned down as the last game was). In fact, they literally released a crossover between the new Mario RPG series, which was an insultingly obvious opportunity to make fans happy, and did as little as possible with it in order to save costs from making new sprites, because apparently something obscure and niche like a handheld Mario game needs to save costs despite Paper Mario sprites being more or less the same since 2004.

more tl;dr: Nintendo tries to screw over their own game for lazy, poorly thought out reasons

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Mister_Wu

@kkslider5552000 Ironically, Paper Mario: Sticker Star had most, maybe even all, of the paper characters redone in order for them to be more similar to their current depiction in other media (the one seen in NSMB, but also official artwork for the 25th anniversary). And, by the way, only AlphaDream made gigantic sprite sheets for Dream Team and Paper Jam, Intelligent Systems actually reused the method used in TTYD (so, only a few sprites for the important animations, with the rest done by attaching a few sprites together, resulting in way smaller sprite sheets), but with the animation style of the first Paper Mario. Of course, when they made Paper Jam, instead of using the TTYD paper characters, they used the Sticker Star paper characters, which also resulted in Paper Toadette not being featured despite Toadette being present in TTYD...

Edited on by Mister_Wu

Mister_Wu

CanisWolfred

shaneoh wrote:

@Meowpheel
Don't be ridiculous, people aren't born until they've Mario'd. Mario is life. He is the start button and the end credits. Our hero on NES, Mario be your name. Your Mushroom kingdom come, your jumping be done, on earth as it is on NES.

I'm this close to etching this into the cold, hard granite that currently is my heart.

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

shaneoh

CanisWolfred wrote:

shaneoh wrote:

@Meowpheel
Don't be ridiculous, people aren't born until they've Mario'd. Mario is life. He is the start button and the end credits. Our hero on NES, Mario be your name. Your Mushroom kingdom come, your jumping be done, on earth as it is on NES.

I'm this close to etching this into the cold, hard granite that currently is my heart.

Glad my casual blaspheming resonates with someone . Also you can find all sorts of interesting minerals in granite.

The Greatest love story ever, Rosie Love (part 33 done)
The collective noun for a group of lunatics is a forum. A forum of lunatics.
I'm belligerent, you were warned.

Mister_Wu

@NintyFan It was clear that Lemmy was going to be at the circus (he's actually a boss, though? Even the Toads like him!), but Orange Yoshi?!?!?!?!

Edited on by Mister_Wu

Mister_Wu

meleebrawler

@Mister_Wu The Toads don't recognize Lemmy, at least at first. Doubt they'd be as supportive of him if they knew.

The entirety of this circus's troupe seems to have come from Dinosaur World (the Shy Guys are from Yoshi's Island, along with the, well, Yoshi). All that's missing is some Rexes and we'd have a full-blown recreation of that circus episode from the Mario World cartoon. The Yoshi is indeed a mystery though, both in whether or not it's actually fighting Mario (and if so, why? There's no sign of any battle interface, though), and the fact that it's orange, which would imply that there are more Yoshis in the game, because as we all know, if there's only one Yoshi in a game, it's green.

I wonder, though, if the game will feature a black Yoshi persecuted as such due to fear from Bowser, somewhat like in one of those obscure German Club Nintendo comics.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

Mister_Wu

@meleebrawler If you look at the second Japanese trailer I posted here (post #877, the one with Wendy), you'll see that the circus involves peculiar battles. Lemmy is outside those, as Mario is nowhere to be seen. Regarding the Yoshi part, there is the sound and the animation of the successfully executed block, so it really looks like footage of a battle.

Edited on by Mister_Wu

Mister_Wu

Rexcalibr

Just watched the trailer with Lemmy making his appearance in his very own circus. Tried so hard not to fanboy out but couldn't help it. Especially with the goofy Toads acting a fool.

#KoopalingRelapse2016

Rexcalibr

Mister_Wu

@SLIGEACH_EIRE This is done in order to avoid spoiling too much some interesting parts of the game (like the SMB3 part with the Flip move) that should remain a surprise for those who play the game. But, yes, Tabata said the main quest will require 30 hours to be completed the first time, so it's definitely not a huge game.

Edited on by Mister_Wu

Mister_Wu

Octane

Mister_Wu wrote:

But, yes, Tabata said the main quest will require 30 hours to be completed the first time, so it's definitely not a huge game.

30 hours is a pretty hefty game regardless. That's probably longer than the average game today. Maybe it's not long for an RPG, but still..

Octane

kkslider5552000

I hope that was a typo. The fact that JRPGs are way too long at times does not make this a small game. If anything, the Paper Mario series is what I'd consider the ideal length for JRPGs. Long enough that it feels epic, but not long enough that it drags.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Mister_Wu

We'll see, I think 30 is pretty standard since the GameCube era (it's probably as long as TTYD).

Meanwhile, Nintendo of Australia uploaded the last two videos of the Rescue V

A spoiler: there are no Koopalings in them

Mister_Wu

Andyliini

I decided to preorder this game, 35€ at launch was too good of a deal to pass on.

Dunno how I feel.

Nintendo Network ID: Andyliini | Twitter:

Bread-Not-Toast

I'm treating this is the Wii U final farewell so yeah I'm getting this.

PSN- Crossword-Man
3DS Friend Code- 3067-6402-2163
Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCeKk-kKUlvYeZSW2XbVrsqQ
Latest Review: Star Wars Battlefront Beta
Please add me as I need more friends.

Nintendo Network ID: Da-Banker

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Toads! Toads! Toads! Toads! Toads! Toads! Toads! Toads! Toads! Toads! Toads! Toads! Toads! Toads! Toads! Toads! Toads! Toads! Toads! Toads! Toads! Toads! Toads! Toads! Toads! Toads! Toads! Toads! Toads! Toads! Toads! Toads! Toads! Toads! Toads! Toads! Toads! Toads! Toads! Toads! Toads! Toads!

Untitled

The effort!

Edited on by SLIGEACH_EIRE

SLIGEACH_EIRE

Nintendo Network ID: SLIGEACH_EIRE

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.