Forums

Topic: Paper Mario: Color Splash - OT

Posts 621 to 640 of 960

meleebrawler

@Meowpheel But, doing that in those games required particular badges. The "experience" meter seemed to already be full and wouldn't go any higher, possibly indicating there's a limit to how much you can get per area (sort of like how Paper Mario diminishes XP gain as you level, to the point of getting nothing from weaklings). Triggering that threshold might be what unlocks the insta-defeat ability.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

nf_2

That instant defeat thing could be a nice way to pick up extra cards without having to worry about wasting any, assuming that they do actually drop cards after those non-battles.

nf_2

3DS Friend Code: 0774-4745-0158 | Nintendo Network ID: Sajak19

CM30

I think this video explains this game's issues:

So much of the design seems like because minimal effort was put into improving the game.

Koopalings as bosses? Minimum effort, because you don't need to make them fit the location they're in or come up with a good reason why they exist in the story.

Map screen? Minimal effort, cause an open world would take more work.

All the identical NPCs and enemies? Minimal effort, because coming up with new ones is 'hard'.

Paper Jam is like this too. It feels very much phoned in, with a massive amount of resources recycled from previous games in the series.

Paper Mario Color Splash feels like it was designed so the developers could do as little work as possible.

Try out Gaming Reinvented, my new gaming forum and website!
Also, if you're a Wario series fan, check out Wario Forums today! Your only place for Wario series discussion!
My 3DS Friend Code: 4983-5165-4...

Twitter:

TuVictus

That's generally how I felt about this and paper Jam, which is why I skipped out on it. But I'm gonna give it a chance. See if it holds my interest longer than sticker star

TuVictus

Eel

Paper Jam is apparently one of the glitchiest games in the system too.

You can get out of bounds and skip entire sequences.

Bloop.

<My slightly less dead youtube channel>

SMM2 Maker ID: 69R-F81-NLG

My Nintendo: Abgarok | Nintendo Network ID: Abgarok

meleebrawler

It's one thing to suggest this and Paper Jam are not triple-A efforts. But don't think that no effort was put into them at all, rather what they both strove for was refinement in gameplay. Paper Jam takes Dream Team's rank-up system even further to make your characters more distinct, for example do you want Paper Mario to be the black mage pummelling the enemy with powerful Trio Attacks? Give him rank-up boosts in BP and POW. Want him to be support with his clone's abilities to soak up hits and keep him alive? DEF boosts and double-item usage. Plus, adding a third member may not seem much, but it allows for much more creativity in how you want to build your team; Bowser's Inside Story and Dream Team pretty much boil down to keep bros balanced, or have one all-offence and the other all-defence. And for what it's worth, I found Paper Jam's story, basic as it is, to be more consistently enjoyable than Dream Team's; while that game certainly had it's moments, much of it was just dull fetch quests, one of which even gives the player the middle finger by ending up being a complete waste of time (going to all the trouble of making a safe dream world for the princess to hide in, when... surprise! She was already kidnapped!). @Meowpheel, if there are indeed glitches in that game, they're certainly not the easily discovered kind like Knuckles's moon jumping.

Where Paper Jam adheres to the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mantra, Colour Splash is an attempt at setting right what went wrong in a game that contrary to popular belief, is NOT fundamentally flawed, only in execution. That takes careful analysis of the game's mechanics and player feedback, all while not simply caving in to irrational fan demand of either playing things safer than they already are (TTYD 2), or just scrapping it and trying something else entirely in desperation that it'll work (the Sonic cycle). And an art style like this game's or Yoshi's Wooly World is not easy to portray faithfully.

Alone, a force. Together, a force of nature.

3DS FC: 2535-3888-1548

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3888-1548 | Nintendo Network ID: meleebrawler

LzWinky

Sticker Star was flawed in so many ways. It took everything enjoyable about a game and ignored it completely

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

NintendoFan64

DarthNocturnal wrote:

"You just hate it because it's different!" says the first responder, who oddly enough, usually claims they've never played the first two.

To be fair, I haven't seen many Color Splash supporters outright say they haven't played the first two games...as for those of you who HAVE never played the first two, but think this looks good, maybe that should tell you why people are so upset!

DarthNocturnal wrote:

"And making it different doesn't automatically mean it's better".

There it is! See, the change can't just be new; it has to actually be GOOD. And I don't really see how taking a series that's been very reliant on characters and stories in the past, and suddenly ditching the stories and characters is making things "better". If anything, it's a massive step backwards.

Lzeon wrote:

Sticker Star was flawed in so many ways. It took everything enjoyable about a game and ignored it completely

Let's see...consummable attacks, battles had no meaning, the massive amount of back-tracking would make Thousand Year Door blush (I love that game, but Creepy Steeple and General White were a bit of a pain), certain bosses need a specific sticker just to be beatable, the environments felt bland (with maybe 1 or 2 exceptions), the game didn't give you a hint as to what sticker you need until it's too late, Kersti is annoying, mute antagonist, none of the Toads leave a lasting impression on you...why did this game get good reviews from critics, again?

Edited on by NintendoFan64

There is nothing here...except for the stuff I just typed...

3DS Friend Code: 5284-1716-7555 | Nintendo Network ID: michaelmcepic

NintendoFan64

@DarthNocturnal
Right. The only reason that I can see people preferring Sticke Star over the first two is that they just don't really care for the first two...but even then, Sticker Star has plenty of problems, so it's not that great of an alternative. You can definitely find better action-adventure games then that. Also, it's funny how you say that you recently played 64 on the Virtual Console, because I recently replayed Thousand Year Door. Ah, what a fine game that was...so many like-able characters, so many memorable moments, and of course, THE RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWKKKK!!! Sure do wish we had more games like that...oh well. The new Paper Mario is even better! You've got tons of likeable and quirky characters, like Red Toad, Blue Toad, Red Toad, Green Toad, Red Toad, Blue Toad in a uniform, Red Toad, Hotel Toad, Red Toad, and Spoopy Ghost Toad! Heart-breaking moments like a sailor who leaves the sea after feeling guilty for not being with his deceased wife in her time of need, and only gaining the courage to go back out after receiving a touching letter from said deceased wife? Pfffft! Who needs moments like that, when you've got a break-dancing pig with bad dubstep playing in the background! LOL! Isn't that so random!?
Edit: Also, here's another interesting argument that I've seen some supporters bring up: "It's not meant for Paper Mario fans." If it isn't meant for Paper Mario fans, then why does it have "Paper Mario" in the title!?

veeflames

@DarthNocturnal @NintendoFan64 Paper Mario elitism at its highest. No one is simply allowed to like Sticker Star (and are we including Super Paper Mario?) if they've played the first two games for some reason, amirite?
Anyhoo. At this point all I want for Color Splash is the charm (having low expectations there, to be honest) and a not-broken battle system (one out of two isn't bad, is it? Yeah, it is). And maybe... just maybe I'll consider adding the game to my Christmas wishlist. Oh yeah, and reviews will also play a huge factor.
Oh, and for the record.... I think Super Paper Mario is better than the PM64 (oh, yes) AND I like the breakdancing pig (even though it is out of place). I wonder that makes me, then? Cursed by a black chest, maybe.

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

NintendoFan64

Vee_Flames wrote:

@DarthNocturnal @NintendoFan64 Paper Mario elitism at its highest. No one is simply allowed to like Sticker Star (and are we including Super Paper Mario?) if they've played the first two games for some reason, amirite?

I never said that nobody is allowed to straight up enjoy Sticker Star after playing the first two games. I just find it odd how someone would find Sticker Star as an improvement, unless they just didn't really care for those two. Maybe you just prefer action-adventure games over rpgs, and that's fine. Perfectly fine. It's just weird when you consider that Sticker Star has all sorts of problems, and is pretty much the exact opposite of the first two games in multiple areas, so I don't know. I guess that with those two things taken into account, the idea of people enjoying the first two, yet preferring Sticker Star seems a bit...off. But who am I to judge? If you like it more, you like it more. Good for you. I admit that I sounded like a bit of an a$$ there, and I'm sorry.

Vee_Flames wrote:

Anyhoo. At this point all I want for Color Splash is the charm (having low expectations there, to be honest) and a not-broken battle system (one out of two isn't bad, is it? Yeah, it is). And maybe... just maybe I'll consider adding the game to my Christmas wishlist. Oh yeah, and reviews will also play a huge factor.

Y'know what? Sure. Go ahead. Hope you enjoy.

Vee_Flames wrote:

Oh, and for the record.... I think Super Paper Mario is better than the PM64 (oh, yes)

...Congratulations? Are you expecting me to throw a chair out the window in rage over that? Hell, I even think that the characters and story in Super are better, at the very least (the gameplay, though...not so much).

Vee_Flames wrote:

AND I like the breakdancing pig (even though it is out of place).

...Alright, then. Don't really see what's so funny about the pig (in fact, it's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen, and makes me a little bit upset that this is what the series has come to), but whatever.

veeflames

@NintendoFan64 OK, so let me make some things clear. I'm not saying Sticker Star is even a fraction good of what 64 and TTYD are. I'm not saying Sticker Star is deserving of more praise than it gets. I'm not saying Sticker Star is flawed. I just... well, liked the game enough, even though I haven't 100'd the game yet.

I never said that nobody is allowed to straight up enjoy Sticker Star after playing the first two games. I just find it odd how someone would find Sticker Star as an improvement, unless they just didn't really care for those two.

Yeah, I don't think anyone is suggesting Sticker Star was an improvement (who said that, anyway?!). It was, at the very most, a different idea that didn't work out very well. Nothing more, and CERTAINLY not an improvement. Now that's overstretching it.

If you like it more, you like it more. Good for you.

Are we talking about Sticker Star here? NO, I DO NOT LIKE IT MORE THAN THE FIRST THREE GAMES. Sticker Star to Paper Mario is like what Paper Jam is to M&L; pretty weak entry in the series. Liking something (let's call it it) =/= liking it more than something else related to it =/= saying it is better than it.

...Congratulations? Are you expecting me to throw a chair out the window in rage over that? Hell, I even think that the characters and story in Super are better, at the very least (the gameplay, though...not so much).

Given the elitism going around on the internet someone is bound to throw a chair out the window in rage over my saying SPM > PM64. It's not like that's a popular opinion that everyone agrees with (especially since we're talking about Paper Mario here).

...Alright, then. Don't really see what's so funny about the pig (in fact, it's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen, and makes me a little bit upset that this is what the series has come to), but whatever.

Opinions, although it is understandable.

Edited on by veeflames

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

NintendoFan64

@Vee_Flames I wasn't really specifically referring to you when I was talking about people preferring Sticker Star. The "you" in my response was referring more to people who may prefer Sticker Star to the first two (big enough world, so anything's possible), since they were the ones I was specifically referring to in my post that you replied to, which was in reply to something that @DarthNocturnal said, though looking back I may have mis-interpreted some things-y'know what, this is just getting confusing. What I'm trying to say is, you thought I was talking solely about people who enjoyed Sticker Star [strong]period/strong], when really I was just saying I found it odd for those who may prefer it to the first two, unless they really didn't like the first two.

lightningbolt79

I am not looking forward to this game.

lightningbolt79

Pokefanmum82

don't you think we are getting a little off topic. this thread is about color splash, not the Paper Mario series. Anywho my kids are excited for this game and they happened to like Sticker Star too. And quite frankly so am I. I have already got this game preordered and can't wait to play it. It seems like it will be a fun game to play.

Edited on by Pokefanmum82

Want: Harvest Moon: One World, Story of Seasons: Pioneering Town, Super Mario 3D World + Bowser’s Fury

Finished the Alola Dex.
Now playing New Horizons, Wrath of White Witch and Sword

NintendoFan64

Pokefanmum82 wrote:

don't you think we are getting a little off topic. this thread is about color splash, not the Paper Mario series.

Well, that's technically not true. I mean, in any thread discussing a new entry to a long-running series, the series in it's entirety and past entries will most likely be brought up, and can be brought up to discussion on why you may or may not be excited for it, or what features you hope are brought back, or any similarities you may find between the new game and an older one.

Pokefanmum82 wrote:

Anywho my kids are excited for this game and they happened to like Sticker Star too. And quite frankly so am I. I have already got this game preordered and can't wait to play it. It seems like it will be a fun game to play.

Alright, I hope you and your kids enjoy it. I may not be looking forward to this game, but I'm not gonna stop others from enjoying it.

nf_2

Anyone know why amazon doesn't have the NA release date posted (if you preorder it says shipping December 30th) when several sites have the release date?

nf_2

3DS Friend Code: 0774-4745-0158 | Nintendo Network ID: Sajak19

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.