Wii U Forum

Topic: Pachter strikes again!!!

Showing 101 to 120 of 197

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RancidVomit86

101. Posted:

I have to admit that 3rd parties proclaiming full support for Wii U at E3 would lead people to believe that it would be there long term especially how they talked it up but if the sales aren't there then there's no reason for 3rd parties to keep throwing cash in the trash. I think most of them expected lightning to strike twice after the Wii but clearly that hasn't happened.

Xbox Live Gamer Tag - RancidVomit86
Battle.net - Dayman
Wii Code - 4335 5256 5880 9373
iOS Game Center - RancidVomit86

Writer for www.sega-addicts.com

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

102. Posted:

Well, if Wii U was getting 8th gen games, I'm pretty sure that would help sales.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

103. Posted:

RancidVomit86 wrote:

Quick question, hang on let me put up the flame shield, is MK8 a sure fire turn around for Wii U in sales? I'm just thinking back to Gamecube and it doesn't make it start just flying off store shelves. Is it realistic to say any game will fix this ship for certain? For me it just comes down to hoping for best but nothing is a guarantee as some make it sound.

To be fair, Mario Kart didn't become the massive beloved mainstream series it is today until the DS game (and then the Wii version and the bundle sent it to the freaking stratosphere...like it's I think the best selling racing game of all time), and there honestly seems to be quite a bit more hype than the 3DS one. Guaranteed, no, but I personally think it's pretty likely. Likely good enough that sales are consistently above where they are now (which to be fair, are still above where they were last year, if nothing else), and then some good sales for the holiday season with tons of people buying Kart and Smash. And to Nintendo's credit they are treating Kart, and especially Smash as EXTREMELY important video game releases, which they've failed to do for a while from my perspective post-Skyward Sword.

I tend to not make the most controversial statements for predictions, but I'm usually right when I try to predict whether something will do well or not. The only thing I really got wrong is that I really thought Arkham Origins would do way better on Wii U but otherwise I feel confident I'll be right.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!: https://www.youtube.com/user/SliderGamer55/videos

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RancidVomit86

104. Posted:

Have to look at it from the 3rd party companies point of view though. What they put out on it didn't sell and they can't justify putting more on it. It's all about money.

Xbox Live Gamer Tag - RancidVomit86
Battle.net - Dayman
Wii Code - 4335 5256 5880 9373
iOS Game Center - RancidVomit86

Writer for www.sega-addicts.com

AuthorMessage
Avatar

kkslider5552000

105. Posted:

RancidVomit86 wrote:

Have to look at it from the 3rd party companies point of view though. What they put out on it didn't sell and they can't justify putting more on it. It's all about money.

Yeah. I do think there's problems from their angle of how to sell games to a Nintendo audience (because they are not the same audience mostly), but I do think they did what they thought would work and they lost money, so they are not trying anymore. And even that's not true. God bless Ubisoft and Activision for whatever reason still putting stuff on Wii U, I'm kinda puzzled why but at least they're trying for some long term success idea.

I don't (entirely) agree, but I certainly understand.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

I have a Let's Play channel? How?!: https://www.youtube.com/user/SliderGamer55/videos

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RancidVomit86

106. Posted:

kkslider5552000 wrote:

RancidVomit86 wrote:

Have to look at it from the 3rd party companies point of view though. What they put out on it didn't sell and they can't justify putting more on it. It's all about money.

Yeah. I do think there's problems from their angle of how to sell games to a Nintendo audience (because they are not the same audience mostly), but I do think they did what they thought would work and they lost money, so they are not trying anymore. And even that's not true. God bless Ubisoft and Activision for whatever reason still putting stuff on Wii U, I'm kinda puzzled why but at least they're trying for some long term success idea.

I don't (entirely) agree, but I certainly understand.

Yes I don't entirely agree either but I understand how they would have to look at it. Investors can be a tough thing to answer to when you lose money and is hard to keep people on staff losing money. It sucks for consumers but that's just reality. If Wii U sales do turn around though we will probably see 3rd party support coming back in droves.

Just more of the exciting but brutal world we live in. Money truly dictates everything.

Xbox Live Gamer Tag - RancidVomit86
Battle.net - Dayman
Wii Code - 4335 5256 5880 9373
iOS Game Center - RancidVomit86

Writer for www.sega-addicts.com

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

107. Posted:

@RancidVomit86
Wii U isn't and wasn't being treated the same as Xbox One or PS4. People want 8th gen games on Wii U, and 3rd parties are failing. That effects Nintendo and 3rd parties.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

DefHalan

108. Posted:

Why do people keep saying certain games are the Wii U's last hope? If those games turn out to be failures Nintendo is still going to support the system and still make fun games.

http://dudehugespeaks.tumblr.com/post/44243746261/nickels-dimes-and-quarters
http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/why-console-specs-dont-matter
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/200271/Video_Don_Daglow_on_nextgen_transition_traps_and_treasures.php

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

WaLzgi

109. Posted:

Whether or not they used the right angle doesn't really matter here. They see the Wii U as a nonprofitable device for their business models. Ergo, they now have very little to no reason to support it. You can sugar coat it with "Wii U can do this and that" statements, but those won't change anything.

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

110. Posted:

Unca_Lz wrote:

Whether or not they used the right angle doesn't really matter here.

How doesn't it? If they expect it to do as well as Xbox One and PS4, they need to treat it the same.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

111. Posted:

But isn't that a moot point since the Wii U isn't getting a ton of third party support.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

112. Posted:

shingi_70 wrote:

But isn't that a moot point since the Wii U isn't getting a ton of third party support.

What works for Xbox One and PS4, should work for Wii U. They haven't given it the same chance.

EDIT: The only company that gave it a fair chance was Ubisoft, except maybe Watch_Dogs. If it's not the 8th gen version, alot of people are probably going to be disappointed.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

113. Posted:

RancidVomit86 wrote:

Quick question, hang on let me put up the flame shield, is MK8 a sure fire turn around for Wii U in sales? I'm just thinking back to Gamecube and it doesn't make it start just flying off store shelves. Is it realistic to say any game will fix this ship for certain? For me it just comes down to hoping for best but nothing is a guarantee as some make it sound.

Well looking at the wiki article on "best selling games franchises" Mario Kart is right up there as a thing by itself. Plus it hasn't been milked nearly as much as some of the other games on its list. A Mario Kart release in terms of sales and frequency should be a bigger thing than games like Halo or Zelda. So I'll ask the question differently. Will Halo help XBOne sales? Will Zelda help Wii U sales? If the answer is a resounding yes then it should be for Mario Kart 8 also.

edit: it's also worth noting anecdotally that Mario Kart for me personally has been the thing that got me interested in more Nintendo consoles than any other game. I wouldn't have gotten a SNES without it, I wouldn't have gotten a DS when I did without it, I got my 3DS mostly because Mario Kart would be out soon. Even when I didn't get Nintendo consoles it was Mario Kart that had me closest to getting them. Mario Kart 64 and Mario Kart Super Circuit in-store demos had me very, very close to getting those. The Wii and Wii U were the only Nintendo consoles where Mario Kart wasn't a major factor... and I'm not quite sure why I did get the Wii U as early as I did TBH

So it's a huge deal. Anyone who says it isn't has their head in the sand.

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

RancidVomit86

114. Posted:

@skywake Like I was hinting at not everyone would agree with the question I brought up and ignore my point about Gamecube. While Mario Kart may mean that much to you I can sit here and say no Zelda is what sells me on Nintendo consoles.

While we all like playing armchair analyst none of us really know what the future holds and only time will be the true answer to any question we have about the future of Wii U.

Xbox Live Gamer Tag - RancidVomit86
Battle.net - Dayman
Wii Code - 4335 5256 5880 9373
iOS Game Center - RancidVomit86

Writer for www.sega-addicts.com

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

WaLzgi

115. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

But isn't that a moot point since the Wii U isn't getting a ton of third party support.

What works for Xbox One and PS4, should work for Wii U. They haven't given it the same chance.

EDIT: The only company that gave it a fair chance was Ubisoft, except maybe Watch_Dogs. If it's not the 8th gen version, alot of people are probably going to be disappointed.

You missed my point entirely. It doesn't matter because they don't want to support the Wii U. Just because they "should" doesn't mean they will. Hence why it's entirely moot

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

116. Posted:

Well, if Nintendo puts on an MK8 commercial, I'm pretty sure everyone who knows about or owns MKWii is gonna take notice. That's just how things go. The same goes for Smash Bros, but not to as much of an extent, obviously.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

117. Posted:

Unca_Lz wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

But isn't that a moot point since the Wii U isn't getting a ton of third party support.

What works for Xbox One and PS4, should work for Wii U. They haven't given it the same chance.

EDIT: The only company that gave it a fair chance was Ubisoft, except maybe Watch_Dogs. If it's not the 8th gen version, alot of people are probably going to be disappointed.

You missed my point entirely. It doesn't matter because they don't want to support the Wii U. Just because they "should" doesn't mean they will. Hence why it's entirely moot

So 3rd parties are moot? I'll keep that in mind...

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

WaLzgi

118. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

Unca_Lz wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

But isn't that a moot point since the Wii U isn't getting a ton of third party support.

What works for Xbox One and PS4, should work for Wii U. They haven't given it the same chance.

EDIT: The only company that gave it a fair chance was Ubisoft, except maybe Watch_Dogs. If it's not the 8th gen version, alot of people are probably going to be disappointed.

You missed my point entirely. It doesn't matter because they don't want to support the Wii U. Just because they "should" doesn't mean they will. Hence why it's entirely moot

So 3rd parties are moot? I'll keep that in mind...

If misquoting makes you happy, then go for it...

Nintendo Life moderator and duck.

My BUY_A_WII_U_loggery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

SCAR392

119. Posted:

@Unca_LZ
Well, if they're being reluctant or aren't doing what they should be, then they're moot.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

120. Posted:

RancidVomit86 wrote:

@skywake Like I was hinting at not everyone would agree with the question I brought up and ignore my point about Gamecube. While Mario Kart may mean that much to you I can sit here and say no Zelda is what sells me on Nintendo consoles.

While we all like playing armchair analyst none of us really know what the future holds and only time will be the true answer to any question we have about the future of Wii U.

I wasn't saying it'll definitely be "the Wii U saviour" and I wasn't trying to predict the future here. I was just saying Mario Kart is kinda a big deal. Even on the Gamecube it was a big deal. Despite the Gamecube's "failure" it still sold 7mill copies putting it at #2 and it was definitely responsible for a lot of Gamecube sales. It was also surely responsible for a large number of N64 sales, don't forget that the N64 was about as big a "failure" as the Gamecube was.

As for Zelda well the numbers don't agree that it's as big. Kart was 3rd on the SNES, 1st on the N64, 2nd on the Gamecube and 2nd on the Wii. The best selling Zelda was 5th on the NES, 5th on the SNES, 4th on the N64, 4th on the Gamecube and 15th on the Wii. Kart is in a different league to Zelda.

tl;dr

  • Will Mario Kart 8 sell well? Without a doubt
  • Will Mario Kart 8 be responsible for a turnaround in sales? Yes, Mario Kart has always done that
  • Will Mario Kart 8 "save" the Wii U? No idea, however if you were to bet on a one game "save" it would be Kart

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake