Wii U Forum

Topic: Pachter: "I think Nintendo becomes completely irrelevant."

Showing 41 to 60 of 129

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Hokori

41. Posted:

If patcher was right, then I'd believe him

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
Welcome to my emassary of doom >: }

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

42. Posted:

True_Hero wrote:

So, being wrong doesn't make him wrong? That doesn't make any sense. Perhaps he just underestimated the company or the consumers' demand.

No. There is no "right and wrong" in market analysis. There is only risk and reward.

This is the point. Pachter should stop speaking to the games press, and get himself off Twitter. 99.99% of the people that either report on what he says, or read those reports, have NFI what he's really on about.

Edited on by Bankai

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Hokori

43. Posted:

There's no right or wrong in life either :)

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
Welcome to my emassary of doom >: }

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

44. Posted:

HarmoKnight wrote:

There's no right or wrong in life either :)

Except that's wrong.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

WingedSnagret

45. Posted:

The very universe itself has rules, and all rules have a right and a wrong, so there you go.

Biggest Pikmin fan on NL!

Avian fact of the week: The Moa, an extinct relative of ostrichs and emus that inhabited New Zealand, was the tallest bird that ever lived at 12 ft tall (3.6 m). It was also the only known bird to have no wing structure.

3DS Friend Code: 4081-5821-0404 | Nintendo Network ID: WingedFish64

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Hokori

46. Posted:

WhiteKnight wrote:

HarmoKnight wrote:

There's no right or wrong in life either :)

Except that's wrong.

Exactly

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
Welcome to my emassary of doom >: }

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

47. Posted:

His reasoning is a bit strange. He says that outside of early launch "nobody is going to support it" and his reasons are thus. The claim is that not every game will appear on the Wii U next year, which is probably fair enough. Then he claims that when the "next-gen" consoles come out (immediately calling the Wii U not next gen) they'll be better than the Wii U. Better in what way isn't specified but I'm assuming it's in visuals........ then he jumps to saying CoD on Wii U is amazing but games like that won't sell because there's no community on Nintendo's platforms.

I don't follow the logic. If visuals and community were the only things needed to attract developers the PC would "win" every generation hands down. If the ability to play CoD with your mates who own the same console is the reason for a platform's success then surely people would go for the 360/PS3 versions over the Wii U and then the Wii U version over 720/PS4. The need for community would be something that would cause slow adoption rates for new hardware across the board not just with Nintendo's hardware. The key difference is that the Wii U has Miiverse..... wouldn't that work in its favour?

Lastly there's no denying that Nintendo have been good at getting their consoles into living rooms. The battle cry of the PS3/360/PC gamer wailing on the Wii has always been "my Wii is gathering dust" or "I sold my Wii" not "I never got a Wii". I doubt people will stop buying Nintendo consoles for the Smash Bros, Mario Karts, Marios and Zeldas. So it'll sell millions regardless of how good the other systems are. There will certainly be some developers wanting to stretch their legs a bit after being held back by the HD gen for so long... but there are just as many wanting to reel in the budgets for games a bit.

My prediction is that most of the AAA titles will keep being sold on all platforms, 360/PS3/Wii U/PC/720/PS4, till near the end of 2014. That the 360/PS3 will fall back eventually as people start buying PS4/720 but the Wii U will be taken along for the ride. Reason? Developers want to sell as many games as possible and the Wii U fixes all of the problems developers had when they decided not to support the Wii.

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Odnetnin

48. Posted:

Someday, we will all become completely irrelevant. What then?

Six word TV reviews
The Worst Firework Displays of all Time

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7077-1059 | Twitter: Odnetnin

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Happy_Mask

49. Posted:

DarkKnight wrote:

Someday, we will all become completely irrelevant. What then?

Untitled

[16:08] LordJumpMad Hides his gut with a griddle
[16:08] Reala: what ljm does for cash is ljm's business
[16:08] LordJumpMad: Gotta look good my my next game u_u

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

50. Posted:

WhiteKnight wrote:

No. There is no "right and wrong" in market analysis. There is only risk and reward.

Oh you can be wrong. I've heard an analyst claiming that the rapid adoption of mobile will make fixed broadband obsolete before the end of the decade. Don't ask an analyst to make predictions on tech.......

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Inazuma_Pikpik

51. Posted:

The man is just doing his job. He goes out, analyzes companies, and then says what he thinks will happen to said companies to help investors. It may cause people to dislike him, but he's just doing what people pay him to do. If he could make more money dancing in a banana costume outside of a random smoothie place, he would do it.

Make sure to grab your umbrella, it's raining tacos out there.
"There's no such thing as no such thing."
-Greed

3DS Friend Code: 5155-2977-9232 | Nintendo Network ID: Popo_man

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Bankai

52. Posted:

skywake wrote:

WhiteKnight wrote:

No. There is no "right and wrong" in market analysis. There is only risk and reward.

Oh you can be wrong. I've heard an analyst claiming that the rapid adoption of mobile will make fixed broadband obsolete before the end of the decade. Don't ask an analyst to make predictions on tech.......

You can make incorrect predictions. This is very different from being wrong. It's impossible to be wrong about something that hasn't happened yet.

And for the record there are some markets where it does appear that mobile technology is outpacing and replacing fixed broadband. Places like Kenya, which never had great infrastructure in the past, but is rapidly westernising now, is largely ignoring old technologies in favour of more advanced ones.

Digitally Downloaded - best darned game site on the web ;-)

AuthorMessage
Avatar

rayword45

53. Posted:

I'm pretty sure you can call an incorrect prediction wrong.

Life example: I predict that out of the 4 choices on this question on this damned quiz, the answer is C
Nope, you wrong, it's none of the above fool.

ATTENTION: Help me not get killed over a stolen camera. Please, I need your money. http://igg.me/at/twelveouncecamera/x/3629997

This is a signature.
Link goes here now.
Screw you.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

54. Posted:

Stats. Third party core Wii U game sales. Black Ops 2 on Wii U sold 90k in its first week, Assassin's Creed 3 on Wii U sold 58k in it's first week. Which is 19% and 12% of total Wii U owners at the end of the first week respectively. For the big first party games 79% for New SMB U and 74% for Nintendo Land. Software tie ratio for the Wii U right now is at 2.85 games per system. The Vita has a tie ratio of 2.11.....

I think it's safe to say Wii U third party titles are doing pretty well.

@WhiteKnight
They were talking about Australia and 4G vs Fibre specifically.....

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Unca_Lz

55. Posted:

You can't really call predictions wrong because you don't truly know if they will happen or not.

Keep in mind Nintendo has plummeted before and there's a chance it can happen again.

Nintendo Life moderator and duck. Nintendo sux!

My Retrologgery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

skywake

56. Posted:

LZBirdboi wrote:

You can't really call predictions wrong because you don't truly know if they will happen or not.

No but they can certainly be wrong. It's like those crazies predicting that the world will end on Dec 21st because of some planet that NASA is keeping secret for whatever reason is going to crash into Earth. You can't prove they're wrong till after the day but you can say it's a load of bull and list the reasons why you think that.

If Pachter wants to make the prediction that Nintendo will fail with the Wii U because people don't want to play CoD on it then fine. The stats however suggest that a fair chunk of Wii U owners do want to play it though. The stats suggest that people buying the Wii are getting 2.85 games so therefore the average Wii U user got something other than NintendoLand and New SMB U. This isn't proof he's wrong in the long term... but it isn't what you'd expect of a console that's doomed and will never attract a "core audience".

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Hokori

57. Posted:

A prediction isn't wrong per say when it's predicted, but it can be wrong once it's been proven wrong

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
Welcome to my emassary of doom >: }

AuthorMessage
AvatarStaff

Unca_Lz

58. Posted:

skywake wrote:

LZBirdboi wrote:

You can't really call predictions wrong because you don't truly know if they will happen or not.

No but they can certainly be wrong. It's like those crazies predicting that the world will end on Dec 21st because of some planet that NASA is keeping secret for whatever reason is going to crash into Earth. You can't prove they're wrong till after the day but you can say it's a load of bull and list the reasons why you think that.

If Pachter wants to make the prediction that Nintendo will fail with the Wii U because people don't want to play CoD on it then fine. The stats however suggest that a fair chunk of Wii U owners do want to play it though. The stats suggest that people buying the Wii are getting 2.85 games so therefore the average Wii U user got something other than NintendoLand and New SMB U. This isn't proof he's wrong in the long term... but it isn't what you'd expect of a console that's doomed and will never attract a "core audience".

I see a rewording is in order then :)

You can't really call predictions wrong until they happen or not, but you can't call them "wrong" right now :)

Nintendo Life moderator and duck. Nintendo sux!

My Retrologgery

3DS Friend Code: 2234-7139-4188 | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Hokori

59. Posted:

I predict waltz thinks people like patcher are right? :P

Digitaloggery
3DS FC: Otaku1
WiiU: 013017970991
Nintendo of Japan
niconico community is full of kawaii!
Must finish my backlagg or at least get close this year
Welcome to my emassary of doom >: }

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TysonOfTime

60. Posted:

LZBirdboi wrote:

You can't really call predictions wrong until they happen or not, but you can't call them "wrong" right now :)

Yes, that's right.

But then again, by that logic, any prediction without a specified time like this can't be called wrong. Come 10 ten years from now, if Nintendo is still relevant you can't say Patcher was wrong.

Edited on by TysonOfTime

Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!

3DS Friend Code: 4854-6436-0663 | Nintendo Network ID: TysonOfTime