Wii U Forum

Topic: Pachter: "I think Nintendo becomes completely irrelevant."

Showing 121 to 129 of 129

AuthorMessage

GameLord08

121. Posted:

Mandoble wrote:

Basically the rule is that the relevance is there where all the gaming companies are, if you dont have third party support, you are irrelevant, it doesnt matter how many units you sell, you are simply ignored by the gaming industry and you become as relevant as a company selling millions of microwaves. And that's what happened with the Wii, lets see what happens with the U.

Well said.

Let us not judge a man by the colour of his skin, but by the character he chooses to battle with in Brawl.

Twitter: FaridaKYusuf

AuthorMessage

SCAR392

122. Posted:

You know what, I actually do want a run and gun COD, because you can't even run/reload while sprinting on that game either. I believe your dual weild argument is valid, but there's been literally thousands of times I've wanted to grab a ledge like in Mirror's Edge. As for FPS with melee combat: I do recall assassination happening in Halo Reach, which could have easily resulted in a combat scene, or body shield situation with both players fighting. The only think I hate about the repeatedily pushing button sequences, is that it never actually counts the amount of times you push the button vs. the other player. It usually just counts the first button press, and if the button is pushed repeatedly at a fast enough speed, they are the winner. I could have pressed the button 10 more times than the other player during that sequence, but it won't count torwards their first button press which automatically gives them 'seniority'.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage

Gamesake

123. Posted:

If anyone can surprise you anymore, it's Nintendo. The only way they're going to become irrelevant is if console gaming becomes irrelevant.

...in my pants.

AuthorMessage

GameLord08

124. Posted:

I could tell you for a fact that even if the Wii had been HD in its current form, it still wouldn't have been as relevant as it could've been. Why? Simple; the PS3 and Xbox 360 are squares, while the Wii is a circle. You can't fit something designed for a square fit into a circle. No developer is willing to go through the unnecessary hassle to re-mould their game just to be able to fit into the mould of one different console. i.e. The Wii's control scheme, while considerably innovative, was difficult and uncompromising. It had little to do with power; a simple downscale with games could've rectified that.

Now, the Wii U seems to be more of a rectangle to me. A square can fit into a rectangle, though it doesn't necessarily mean it will fill it - but it will fit nonetheless. Anybody getting the metaphors here?

Let us not judge a man by the colour of his skin, but by the character he chooses to battle with in Brawl.

AuthorMessage

moomoo

125. Posted:

GameLord08 wrote:

I could tell you for a fact that even if the Wii had been HD in its current form, it still wouldn't have been as relevant as it could've been. Why? Simple; the PS3 and Xbox 360 are squares, while the Wii is a circle. You can't fit something designed for a square fit into a circle. No developer is willing to go through the unnecessary hassle to re-mould their game just to be able to fit into the mould of one different console. i.e. The Wii's control scheme, while considerably innovative, was difficult and uncompromising. It had little to do with power; a simple downscale with games could've rectified that.

Now, the Wii U seems to be more of a rectangle to me. A square can fit into a rectangle, though it doesn't necessarily mean it will fill it - but it will fit nonetheless. Anybody getting the metaphors here?

I'm getting it, but... the Wii had a Classic controller. So if Wii HD was a thing, it probably would have worked and gotten most 3rd party support. Plus, if Nintendo would have went with the decision, they would have modified the controller so it would work with the games on other platforms. So... yeah.

Edited on by moomoo

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

AuthorMessage

GameLord08

126. Posted:

@moomoo: Except the Wii Classic Controller wasn't effectively marketed nor publicised for the most part, unlike, say, the Wii U's Pro Controller. It was widely received as just a sidelined accessory. So... yeah.

AuthorMessage

moomoo

127. Posted:

GameLord08 wrote:

@moomoo: Except the Wii Classic Controller wasn't effectively marketed nor publicised for the most part, unlike, say, the Wii U's Pro Controller. It was widely received as just a sidelined accessory. So... yeah.

And if Nintendo were to make Wii HD back in 2010 a reality, they'd probably enphasize it more, or just make a new one entirely. So... yeah.

Since they didn't go that direction, it wouldn't make sense to put an emphasis on it. It's unfortunate too, because I think I would have actually prefered to play some of Nintendo's games with a classic controller. Donkey Kong Country Returns comes to mind. But because it was basically there for VC and a few select games, it just wasn't needed by the average Wii owner.

Edited on by moomoo

Best thread ever
Feel free to add me on Miiverse or PSN.
Miiverse is Moomoo14, PSN is Moomoo1405390

3DS Friend Code: 4940-5561-6002 | Nintendo Network ID: Moomoo14

AuthorMessage

skywake

128. Posted:

Sony_70 wrote:

In all honestly I'm not expecting the Wii U to get GTA or Bioshock Infinte.
But saying the lack of news is because nintendo is only focusing on the launch window is disingenious at best.
The launch windows is till march or apirl. There are a ton of games releasing in that time frame that aren't currently slated for the Wii U.

There are what.... four cross platform games confirmed outside of the launch window for Wii U? A list of about four that includes Need for Speed Most Wanted, Project CARS and "Untitled Battlefield". To say that Nintendo isn't just focusing on the launch window when the only Nintendo published titles outside of the launch window are Untitled Zelda, Untitled Smash Bros, Pikmin 3 and Bayonetta 2 is a bit of a stretch. 2013 looks very, very sparse for Wii U even in the areas where we know there has to be more than what's confirmed.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect games like Bioshock, GTA and Watch Dogs to appear on the Wii U before E3. Infact I think you'd have to be pretty cynical to rule it out completely.

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage

GameLord08

129. Posted:

moomoo wrote:

GameLord08 wrote:

And if Nintendo were to make Wii HD back in 2010 a reality, they'd probably enphasize it more, or just make a new one entirely. So... yeah.

And that'd result in a mass market confusion, even worse than the Wii U's initial reception. Besides, I don't think many people are willing to buy new, full-priced Wiis for an experience that the average PS360 could provide. Of course, there's the option for trade-ins, but then I think Nintendo would be losing a lot of profit with that option.

So.. yeah.