Wii U Forum

Topic: Old gen vs next gen

Showing 101 to 120 of 131

AuthorMessage

CanisWolfred

101. Posted:

SofaKing wrote:

My god ppl, why not just wait until the damn systems come out to actually see the real difference. Videos and pictures are almost guaranteed To be down scaled so let's not use useless evidence as what it will look like.......

Smartest post in the whole damn thread.

Avid Fan of Anime, JRPGs, Webcomics, and Wolves
My Den - My door is always open....Too bad it's an empty closet.
My DeviantArt - I like to call it "the blank wall"

Wolfrun
Wolfrun Chibi

Arooo~

AuthorMessage

Williaint

102. Posted:

The reason, SofaKing, why they don't wait is because opinion is "more better" than facts. They want it all now now nownownownow!

SCAR392 wrote:

I have a PS3. I'll eventually get an Xbox One. I'm not trying to be negative about anything as much as sharing my opinion that things aren't as good as they can be, which is why no one should be throwing a fit about any system, including Wii U.

I don't think the graphics are so "ground breaking" that the Wii U doesn't have a place, which is what we've been arguing since before the Wii U even launched. They're nice, never the less. I just wouldn't expect people to choose a PS4 or Xbox One over the Wii U based on graphics alone. That's kind of missing the point of why we play video games.

Some good points.

Phatosaurus wrote:

Untitled

That's an excellent point. After you get to the peak of the "uncanny valley", it becomes 'hyperrealistic'. Past realistic, more real than real....
So, there is an invisible realism roof; it's pretty much been hit, now.

DefHalan wrote:

So it is reasonable to form an opinion around a Demo, or movie trailer, it just may not be an accurate opinion.

There are a LOT of Movie trailers that have almost nothing to do with the actual film. Some have content just made to advertise it. Demos are a good idea, but I agree that the W101 one just left me more curious about the game (Which I love)!

Edited on by Williaint

Williaint

3DS Friend Code: 1160-9725-5097 | Nintendo Network ID: kingredcastle

AuthorMessage

kereke12

103. Posted:

I still believe Wii U, is next-gen. But sadly SOME of us gamers don't see it.

LONG LIVE NINTENDO

Nintendo Network ID: Kereke12

AuthorMessage

kkslider5552000

104. Posted:

kereke12 wrote:

I still believe Wii U, is next-gen. But sadly SOME of us gamers don't see it.

ISN'T THAT RIGHT, BILL FROM ACCOUNTING?!

I'll take that as a yes.

3DS friend code: 2878 - 9709 - 5054
Nintendo Network ID: SliderGamer55

Cool link for cool people: http://forums.dctp.ws/

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

105. Posted:

Hey Hey Hey....we all may have difference opinions and wear different flags but we can all agree Knack is a terribly designed character (big knack at least)

Untitled

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage

skywake

106. Posted:

TBH I'm just going to wait and see what happens with all of these streaming devices. NVidia is now pushing GameStream onto devices that aren't the shield, if they make a micro-console out of that I'm all ears. If Valve does the same with a cheap little SteamBox then again I'm on that.

There's a jump in fidelity going post Wii U and definitely going past 360/PS3. However there are so many possible platforms I think debating all of this is pointless. Just sit back and enjoy the Wii U but think about planning a PC upgrade while keeping an eye on LAN streaming options. Forget these next-gen consoles, they're too locked up and the exclusives so far are all sorts of meh.

Edited on by skywake

NNID: skywake

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

107. Posted:

The real benefits of next gen were always going to be the developer side or features wise. My most excited thing about next gen are looking at comparing all the new UI and OS stuff. I just can't wait to see them and compare them to each other and the pros and cons. I feel nintendo's may be the weakest but its there first go around making something that isn't just a games launcher.

Untitled
Untitled

Untitled

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

AuthorMessage

SCAR392

108. Posted:

@Sony_70
Just for some perspective, Wii U is technically able of having an OS that is twice as capable as 7th gen consoles. Whether that matches up with what Xbox One and PS4 are doing(for the most part), eventually, or does less, but alot more effectively is yet TBD.

Wii U has twice as much game and OS RAM, so I don't think it would be to farfetched to think it can do twice as much as 7th gen consoles.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

109. Posted:

SCAR392 wrote:

@Sony_70
Just for some perspective, Wii U is technically able of having an OS that is twice as capable as 7th gen consoles. Whether that matches up with what Xbox One and PS4 are doing(for the most part), eventually, or does less, but alot more effectively is yet TBD.

Wii U has twice as much game and OS RAM, so I don't think it would be to farfetched to think it can do twice as much as 7th gen consoles.

While I agree I all the hardware in the world doesn't help if a OS is somewhat badly designed. I love the over all aesthetics of the Wii U UI but things like two separate friendlists, all of the OS being module like. The OS is nice but doesn't seem as connected as even some of the seventh gen OS/UIs.

But to be honest it doesn't matter what the system will be capable of but what it can do now, and from a functionality standpoint the Wii U is just on par with the current gen systems and no where close to the other 8th gen systems.

I've seen some cool mockups of what I mean. Something like notifications would go along way.
Untitled

Edited on by shingi_70

WAT!

AuthorMessage

TheLilK98

110. Posted:

The only thing I don't get is why they settled on such a weak cpu for the Wii U. The only upside I'm seeing is they can use a cheaper cooling system.

My intro by Dark-Luigi
My Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3308-4665-8309 | Nintendo Network ID: TheLilK98 | Twitter: TheKman98

AuthorMessage

SCAR392

111. Posted:

Sony_70 wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

@Sony_70

While I agree I all the hardware in the world doesn't help if a OS is somewhat badly designed. I love the over all aesthetics of the Wii U UI but things like two separate friendlists, all of the OS being module like. The OS is nice but doesn't seem as connected as even some of the seventh gen OS/UIs.

But to be honest it doesn't matter what the system will be capable of but what it can do now, and from a functionality standpoint the Wii U is just on par with the current gen systems and no where close to the other 8th gen systems.

I've seen some cool mockups of what I mean. Something like notifications would go along way.
Untitled

Well, ya. I know Wii U's OS isn't as good as it good be. I don't take alot of those features on Xbox One or PS4 very seriously, though, so I'll be fine with seeing what else they do with the console withour feeling like I'm missing out or something.

My main point with the twice the potential as 7th gen, was that Nintendo tends to push their systems to the limit. Since the Wii U actually is able to have a better OS, I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to max out what the OS can do, because it helps their system be and have more function.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

112. Posted:

@SCAR392

I'm in total agreement with you BTW. I mean look at how the 360 dashboard started and how its now at the eve of the Xbox One launch. Sony even retroactively put in trophy support after launch as well. I think my main problem is coming from the 360 there are very basc features missing or way Nintendo does a few things that seem to be annoying or redundant. Its not a big deal but things like two friends that don't talk to each other, Lack of achievements, and a few other cataloging options seems a bit odd when Miiverse is the best thing about the system.

I feel that if every OS app (friends list, miiverse, eshop, settings, etc) wasn't its own app and built right into the OS than I'd be much happier.

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

Something along the upper images would go a long way to make the OS much better and would be really easy to do.

WAT!

AuthorMessage

Jazzer94

113. Posted:

Sony_70 wrote:

@SCAR392

I'm in total agreement with you BTW. I mean look at how the 360 dashboard started and how its now at the eve of the Xbox One launch. Sony even retroactively put in trophy support after launch as well. I think my main problem is coming from the 360 there are very basc features missing or way Nintendo does a few things that seem to be annoying or redundant. Its not a big deal but things like two friends that don't talk to each other, Lack of achievements, and a few other cataloging options seems a bit odd when Miiverse is the best thing about the system.

I feel that if every OS app (friends list, miiverse, eshop, settings, etc) wasn't its own app and built right into the OS than I'd be much happier.

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

Something along the upper images would go a long way to make the OS much better and would be really easy to do.

If Nintendo made the Wii U OS looked like this I would enjoy navigating the Wii U a lot more right now it still feels slightly clunky and convoluted in its current state but seeing as it is only its first year on the market there is plenty of time for Nintendo to improve it, one major gripe I do have with the Wii U is that there is no party chat which sucks.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee Everyone's favorite videogame character
I keep getting this feeling that I should write something down here........................

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

AuthorMessage

Solado

114. Posted:

TheLilK98 wrote:

The only thing I don't get is why they settled on such a weak cpu for the Wii U. The only upside I'm seeing is they can use a cheaper cooling system.

It's not really a weak CPU. 3 cores is plenty for games to run on as the OS seems relatively lite so it has a lot to put into games.

On graphic comparison videos its obvious to me the Wii u is more powerful and capable than the xbox360 and ps3. So it beats current generation and its in the early stages of its life cycle so as dev kits improve so will the graphics.

The ps4 / Xbox one have much more improved hardware and will perform better than the Wii U in graphics. But what its important to remember is the Wii U is just as able to provide the same level of gameplay with lower textures... Next gen is all about graphics, I'm yet to see revolutionary gameplay since the Wii U input.

3DS Friend Code: 5429-8131-0873
I love Nintendo, Sony & Microsoft - why? I am a true gamer.

AuthorMessage

SCAR392

115. Posted:

It's not the features being apps that's stopping from giving it more "flow". It's the load times and pausing whatever you were currently running. You want to be able to access your friend list without load times of the list, and without stopping the game.

They could probably get this running by allowing whatever is on screen to stay as is and put the menu on the GamePad. Just think of the Xbox 360 home menu and how it covers the TV screen. That home menu would now be accessible on the GamePad and leave whatever is on your TV the way it is when you're playing.

I'm not sure how it would work with a Wii remote though. This is assuming options would be available to do so. Like being able to run the internet browser without pausing your game. Kind of like what the Xbox One is doing with the sidescreen, except it would be on the GamePad.

They could even release a system wide photo capture if they wanted. Just press the home menu like usual, then press the L and R buttons to take a quick photo or something.

There's alot they can do to get more features on there. It's just a matter of when and what. They're probably trying to figure out how they can squeeze out as many OS features as they can without skipping a possible operation and make it as accessible as possible.

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

116. Posted:

Solado wrote:

TheLilK98 wrote:

It's not really a weak CPU. 3 cores is plenty for games to run on as the OS seems relatively lite so it has a lot to put into games.

On graphic comparison videos its obvious to me the Wii u is more powerful and capable than the xbox360 and ps3. So it beats current generation and its in the early stages of its life cycle so as dev kits improve so will the graphics.

The ps4 / Xbox one have much more improved hardware and will perform better than the Wii U in graphics. But what its important to remember is the Wii U is just as able to provide the same level of gameplay with lower textures... Next gen is all about graphics, I'm yet to see revolutionary gameplay since the Wii U input.

It mostly depends on what you count as revolutionary. Personally the only thing I find revolutionary about the Wii U is offscreen play and Nintendoland. I find all three systems to be evolutions of the 7th gen if anything else which is a good thing. This gen is going to be about taking everything from the past gens and brining them all together to have the best diversity and how we interact not only with games but a community.

I love how I can look at a system and pull out five games rather it be first party, third party, or indie that are totally different. Even at launch and this holiday season.

PS4
Knack
Killzone shadowfall
super motherload
resogun
doki doki universe

WIi U
Super Mario 3D world
Wii Fit U
Pier Solar HD
Toki Tori
Deus Ex Human Revolution

One
Ryse
Killer Instinct
Peggle 2
Lococycle
Forza

WAT!

AuthorMessage

AJ_Lethal

117. Posted:

[quote=SCAR392]

Sony_70 wrote:

Untitled

Move the bar to the top and I'm sold.

deviantART

AuthorMessage

shingi_70

118. Posted:

I would make it be customizable.

I will say that next gen won't be decided by who has the best hardware, most shiny graphics, or gimmicky controllers. It will be decided by the ecosystem and meassging these companies form around their various brands.

WAT!

AuthorMessage

SCAR392

119. Posted:

I don't think Nintendo would want to put a Miiverse notification across your whole screen. I've actually been messed up when the Xbox 360 or PS3 put a notification on the screen on the rare occasion, as small as those are(because I physically can't see something).

Regardless, something like that would be useful if implemented right, and I'm sure existing and potential customers would take notice. I'm pretty sure Nintendo is working on making their online better, but it's pretty hard to tell what Nintendo is doing, especially in comparison to Microsoft or Sony.
Micosoft and Sony make sure you know what features are new or are returning, and that's generally a sense of security for fans, I suppose.

I'm not worried about what Nintendo does, though. I just sit back and play games offline by myself most of the time.

Edited on by SCAR392

$¢@®³’²

AuthorMessage

WhereEaglesDare

120. Posted:

Sony_70 wrote:

@SCAR392

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

Terrible, keep it how it is now.

WhereEaglesDare