Wii U Forum

Topic: OH NO! WIU CLOCK SPEED IS LOW! says Harada- well, not exactly that way, but still.

Showing 41 to 55 of 55

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAB

41. Posted:

I don't see any posts here saying that you must buy it, and of course you would get smartglass being the avid 360er. Some of us could care less for multimedia streaming of a thousand apps all at the same time but I know that some people like that sort of crap. The time I get to use a console is best devoted to actually playing games for an hour or two instead of being a mess of apps that would rarely be used if not at all I guess its all about choosing the weapon that best suits your tastes next gen ;)

Forever living to inappropriately touch the mentalities of armchair internet gaming analysts and worthless console war fanboys... Let their sad stories burn eternally within my inbox furnace of hell ;)

Wii U & Steam Box DIGITAL 4 LYFE BABY!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

42. Posted:

Or one wants a device that does a majority of things well.

I see no point in buying multiple TV based devices when I can get one with agreat ecosystem does does a lot of things.

The days of a gaming console just being that are over.

shingi_70

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

MAB

43. Posted:

Well I guess you have chosen your weapon of satisfaction my liege :)

Forever living to inappropriately touch the mentalities of armchair internet gaming analysts and worthless console war fanboys... Let their sad stories burn eternally within my inbox furnace of hell ;)

Wii U & Steam Box DIGITAL 4 LYFE BABY!

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GameLord08

44. Posted:

Sony_70 wrote:

1) thats the xbox and Windows 8 which is hardly targeted at casuel gamers only.
2) It was a Joke

Ok you want to have a serious talk about games. From a Developer standpoint why should I develop my game to target the Wii U eshop instead of say the xbox/Windows 8 devices.

[/div]

Sigh. You expect to enter a debate with me on this, yet you don't even state your own reasons to support your own arguments? You just give me questions? Alright. Let me gladly give you some answers then.

That is thoroughly just a matter of personal choice, and what fits best where, as well as what kind of target market you're looking at. Digital consumer competition has never failed for Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo respectively, and they're all in equal stand in their digital consumption. And I never said the Xbox/Windows 8 thingamabob was targeted at casual gamers only - I said it's the main target market. And it's pretty obvious, seeing how looking at it, it seems to be mainly composed of free-to-play/feemium stock, as well as using a mobile phone in conjunction with its utility. But then again, I could be seeing it wrong.

Sony_70 wrote:

Also don't you find the lack of a developer SDK for developimg applications on a device (Wii U) which Iwata says nintendo wants to be the Center of the living room. If nintendo wants this to be the big deal of the living room than shouldn't their be away for developers to create applications or games that target not only the television portion but the tablet one as well

[/div]

Correct me if I'm wrong, but where in God's name did you read that developers couldn't take part in making use of both the TV and GamePad for their developed games? Or is your lack of ability to proof-read your posts just proving successful at making me mis-read you?

Sony_70 wrote:

why should I take nintendo's online stratagem seriously when in the past they have been late to implement what one would consider industry standards. They still havent told what excatly as what the wii U browser will support (html5 or flash). They also say they are supposedly taking online serious but the Miiverse web apps wont be ready at launch.

[/div]

When they introduced Miiverse, you could obviously see they had acknowledged they had made a brutal hash-up of their online services in the past, and are willing to take it two steps up. They displayed many new (and most probably exlusive) factors and features that would make anyone excited to go online and have a good round with their friends. Miiverse has been displayed to be a step-up from the PS/Xbox Online service, because it's not just interaction; it's social interaction. I can't get another console that'd let me share in-game screenshots with my friends, or converse/message with them when I'm stuck in the middle of a boss-level. I can't even get another console that will, yes I'll say it, let me send hand-drawn messages or doodles to my friends. Miiverse is a definite step-up from anything else out there to offer, because it's social, personal and has that fine touch of interaction that everyone wants with social utility. And don't forget we still have the on-going buzz about Nintendo Network - interconnected accounts? Individual online profiles? I don't know why you must be so negative about this when we have resources in abundance on this issue.

Besides, Miiverse is going to be ready at launch on the Wii U, which is the key thing. Mobile/web/3DS versions aren't a priority right now.

And I don't get why you're so strung-up on the console browser. I mean, it's just a side-feature. Is it really that important? Honestly. Plus, apart from Miiverse, we don't have any substantial news on any components of the Wii U OS, so chill your drawers.

Sony_70 wrote:

As a causeless consumer why should I pick up something such as the Wii U instead of a PS3 or an xbox 360. For example why should someone who is intrested in say fitness games purchase a Wii U for wii U fit instead of something like the xbox that will work with popular fitness software (Nike+) and has a system wide api that tracks your workiut through various fitness games.

[/div]

Again, a matter of personal choice, and you still can't judge that anyway; apart from a slight demonstration at E3, we have no idea what else Wii U Fit will offer - if it teams up with any pro fitness teams, or whatever else it could do. Besides, I'm pretty sure the game will be able to track your workouts - we saw it in the E3 trailer. Anywho, the GamePad and Nintendo as a whole with this game will offer experiences and other things the Xbox can't with fitness games and vice versa, which are unknown for now, so let me repeat: personal choice.

And now, as I believe I have said all that is needed to say, I shall vanish far away from this thread as far as possible. You just made me let my pasta get cold, what with having to go through a long winded response with you, as is the norm. Ta-ta.

Untitled

Edited on by GameLord08

Let us not judge a man by the colour of his skin, but by the character he chooses to battle with in Brawl.

Twitter: FaridaKYusuf

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

45. Posted:

Bye de eloprrs I mean general app developers and not just the big high profile ones. Kind of like how google has a Google TV SDK where anyone can create apps for the platform. Guess I should have been more clearon my usages of term but I assumed one would think of developers in a universal sense.

The current xbox and Playsation have Twitter and Facebook support man. As well as the playstation vita having Screenshot support. I will agree that the sending a message when your on another part is cool. I was honestly expecting to hear more about their approach to voice chat but I'm assuming its going to be shown closer to the fall

I personally find the Miiverse web content not being ready at launch disappointing. I actually use the Xbox website and app a lot to buy games and send messages inbetween friends. That and having a web presence is pretty important now and days. Its even more disappointing seeing as they could just Rembrandt the existing club nintendo website.

While I want to br happy about intergated accounts We've heard conflicting reports on the matter and that worries me. Thats the type of thing that should have been first addressed when unveiling the Wii U.

And I'd say a web browser is somewhat important A lot of websotes are starting the transition from flash to html5 or offering both of them. The Wii U could benefit from this alot. Even if there weren't a lot of apps for different things having a an html broswer would allow the Wii U to still play it. Its not the biggest thing on the list but it adds useful functions to the system.

By track your work out I mean the xbox has something called Wii Play fit you can download. So say I have been using the ubisoft fitness game since last year and want to try the Nike one in the fall I wouldn't lose my stats as they are all put into from all the games I've played.nit also tracks your weight losseage from non fitness motion games.

And of course the Wii U will have things that the xbox games wont have such as weight calculation. (Though I'm suppose its possible butit wont be as easy as doing it on the Wii.

shingi_70

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

komicturtle

46. Posted:

Nintendo's done Portable to Homeconsole long before iPad and Apple TV even existed. Anyone remember GCN and GBA connection with games like Four Swords Adventures and Crystal Chronicles? How about that fabulous N64 Gameboy Adapter that came with Pokemon Stadium?

Of course, let's not forget SEGA Nomad and the ability to play Genesis games on a portable OFFICIALLY.

I don't want to see this "OMG WiiU Revolutionary? Pulls Android/iPhone TV Connectivity pics" because you really should be pulling this up:
Untitled

komicturtle

AuthorMessage
Avatar

warioswoods

47. Posted:

Smartglass and Airplay really are nothing like the Wii U.

I own an iPad 3 and an AppleTV device, so I use Airplay all the time. It's great to throw videos onto my TV as I'm browsing the web. However, it's really not much where gaming is concerned. To date, there are still only a couple proof of concept games using Airplay, and none of the them can make a compelling case. The biggest problem is lag; it's at least .25 and often more than .5 seconds of delay for the video to be sent to the TV over WiFi. It just isn't cut out for gaming applications if the big "primary" screen is going to be lagging so far behind the input device.

Smartglass is even worse. It's not even a local connection at all, according to reports. It looks like this: download an Xbox app to your tablet; open the app each time you want to connect, then sign into your Xbox Live account within the app; now your tablet and your console (the later must be using Live as well) will be communicating using Live as their middle ground, like playing online multiplayer against yourself. Both systems will be sending and receiving data from the web to make it happen, instead of communicating locally. Once again, there will be great lag, and you add the complication of high internet bandwidth needs on top of that.

The Wii U is the only one of the lot that makes sense for gaming. Whether or not you want a gaming oriented tablet+TV combo is another conversation, but if you do, there isn't much going on with Airplay or Smartglass. They're all talk, little use.

Twitter is a good place to throw your nonsense.
Wii FC: 8378 9716 1696 8633 || "How can mushrooms give you extra life? Get the green ones." -Lakitu 64
Join us in the epic Nintendo Life Wii Music Thread

AuthorMessage
Avatar

komicturtle

48. Posted:

@wariowoods

So, I guess I was right in my argument in regards to Airplay being nothing like WiiU. I've asked people to provide and show me a game that utilizes asymmetric gameplay where you're able to use both screens but show different images (like a map system, for example) and no one could even provide it. No one has yet to show me a game on iPad that uses Airplay to play a game similarly to Four Swords Adventures or Crystal Chronicles- games released 8 years ago. It's easy for people to say WiiU's Game Pad is an iPad with buttons tacked on and everything it can do iPad can. Yet, they can't back themselves up.

If anything, WiiU is like DS if anything. And it's essentially an extension of Nintendo's ideas they had in regards to GCN and GBA connectivity.

komicturtle

AuthorMessage
Avatar

irken004

49. Posted:

I hate a low clock speed too.

Untitled

Edited on by irken004

Backloggery

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GameLord08

50. Posted:

Sony_70 wrote:

Bye de eloprrs I mean general app developers and not just the big high profile ones. Kind of like how google has a Google TV SDK where anyone can create apps for the platform. Guess I should have been more clearon my usages of term but I assumed one would think of developers in a universal sense.

Shin’en: "Wii U Doesn’t Have Many Limitations, Like Other... And stop comparing the Wii U with things totally unrelated; Google TV, which clearly seems open-dev? That's apples and oranges.

Sony_70 wrote:

The current xbox and Playsation have Twitter and Facebook support man. As well as the playstation vita having Screenshot support. I will agree that the sending a message when your on another part is cool. I was honestly expecting to hear more about their approach to voice chat but I'm assuming its going to be shown closer to the fall

a. We still haven't heard what the Wii U will offer fundamentally in terms of apps and OS functionality. Stop debating these things when we only have half the info.

b. Does the Wii U need Twitter and Facebook? In this age, if you own a gaming console, you also own at least a mobile phone and a PC - the devices social networks were primarily built for. I don't expect to switch on my Wii U to check my notifications or tweets - I can do that elsewhere. It isn't mandatory, and would hardly affect a notch of the Wii U's utility.

c. I just told you the Wii U also has screenshot support, with which you can send your in-game shots to your friends via Miiverse. And yes, I can agree with you on the voice-chat issue; I was hoping to see more too. But of course, we will as time approaches.

Sony_70 wrote:

I personally find the Miiverse web content not being ready at launch disappointing. I actually use the Xbox website and app a lot to buy games and send messages inbetween friends. That and having a web presence is pretty important now and days. Its even more disappointing seeing as they could just Rembrandt the existing club nintendo website.

Not having it at launch isn't exactly too much of a disappointment - it will launch later, so making do with the console's version itself for the first few months surely won't kill you; the rest is merely a beneficial addition. And for the fact that we'll also be able to access it not only via web, but via specific mobile/smartphone and 3DS versions (again, decreasing doubt on the Nintendo Network facilities) as well is pretty neat, and worth the wait, in my opinion. So, we're not just getting the web; we're getting it all. And who knows, the web version may release before the other two, quite soon after launch. We can't say.

Sony_70 wrote:

While I want to br happy about intergated accounts We've heard conflicting reports on the matter and that worries me. Thats the type of thing that should have been first addressed when unveiling the Wii U.

When unveiling the Wii U, no. That was an introductory showcase. At this year's E3 or around this time, yes. As for the conflicting reports, refer to my last paragraph - solid speculation enough. Besides, it's been announced, and followed up on quite a bit ever since. There's no way Nintendo could back out of it now, especially as we're rapidly nearing the console's launch.

Sony_70 wrote:

And I'd say a web browser is somewhat important A lot of websotes are starting the transition from flash to html5 or offering both of them. The Wii U could benefit from this alot. Even if there weren't a lot of apps for different things having a an html broswer would allow the Wii U to still play it. Its not the biggest thing on the list but it adds useful functions to the system.

I see what you mean here. I agree for the most part then; it would be very nice to see something like this. It could make for some fun with Wii U-based/compatible websites with some sort of play/utility for the console, like the 3DS has too. But still, it's only a nice thought. While I do agree that it'd make for a nice addition, its absence won't really kill us, now will it?

Sony_70 wrote:

By track your work out I mean the xbox has something called Wii Play fit you can download. So say I have been using the ubisoft fitness game since last year and want to try the Nike one in the fall I wouldn't lose my stats as they are all put into from all the games I've played.nit also tracks your weight losseage from non fitness motion games.

And of course the Wii U will have things that the xbox games wont have such as weight calculation. (Though I'm suppose its possible butit wont be as easy as doing it on the Wii.

I think I get the gist, but I guess it all depends entirely on how you want your fitness regime to play out in-game, and if Wii U Fit is going to get some sort of external software/app or something. We'll just have to see how the game plays out, and if it will really be necessary - and judging by the main purpose of Wii U Fit, I don't really think it will be.

Let us not judge a man by the colour of his skin, but by the character he chooses to battle with in Brawl.

Twitter: FaridaKYusuf

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Koos

51. Posted:

L4DYB4NSH33 wrote:

@wariowoods

So, I guess I was right in my argument in regards to Airplay being nothing like WiiU. I've asked people to provide and show me a game that utilizes asymmetric gameplay where you're able to use both screens but show different images (like a map system, for example) and no one could even provide it. No one has yet to show me a game on iPad that uses Airplay to play a game similarly to Four Swords Adventures or Crystal Chronicles- games released 8 years ago. It's easy for people to say WiiU's Game Pad is an iPad with buttons tacked on and everything it can do iPad can. Yet, they can't back themselves up.

If anything, WiiU is like DS if anything. And it's essentially an extension of Nintendo's ideas they had in regards to GCN and GBA connectivity.

The thing is that people never examine stuff in depth. Its like all the articles saying ios games will kill console games. Why? Because they're all games. Never mind that they provide totally different experiences that just goes above their heads. Then sometimes people get conflicted reports ans get confused. Why did zyngas shares crush? They can't say. But their theory is always on a very rudimentary level. Nobody takes the time to understand the difference between smart glass and the wii u controller. Hopefully consumers see the difference. Its like with the PS move. People didnt talk about the small differences that make the wii remote better (d pad on the controller, speaker, IR pointer). They didn't really take the time to examine the stuff.

Koos

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GameLord08

52. Posted:

Koos wrote:

The thing is that people never examine stuff in depth. Its like all the articles saying ios games will kill console games. Why? Because they're all games. Never mind that they provide totally different experiences that just goes above their heads. Then sometimes people get conflicted reports ans get confused. Why did zyngas shares crush? They can't say. But their theory is always on a very rudimentary level. Nobody takes the time to understand the difference between smart glass and the wii u controller. Hopefully consumers see the difference. Its like with the PS move. People didnt talk about the small differences that make the wii remote better (d pad on the controller, speaker, IR pointer). They didn't really take the time to examine the stuff.

Untitled

I don't think you've even taken the time to examine any aspect of what you're saying, let alone what others are.

Let us not judge a man by the colour of his skin, but by the character he chooses to battle with in Brawl.

Twitter: FaridaKYusuf

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Scollurio

53. Posted:

I fear ALL of you are missing the point. Of course raw processing power doesn't guarantee good games AT ALL (Playing my xbox360 for years tought me that). Im sure that there can be great games on whatever hardware architecture the Wii U will employ, the burning question is just: who will bother?
YES there's something like a graphical border where it won't matter much anymore how high the resolution is because the human eye won't see any difference anymore, still Sony and Microsoft are already confirmed to UP the output resolution of their consoles far beyond 1080p. Wii U can only do 1080p, and will only do 720p in the beginning (which means complex games will still do 720p in the future). What I am saying is, that maybe not on launch and maybe not in 2 years but in 5 years when all next gen consoles are out in public already, 3rd party people will have a hard time porting their stuff to Wii U. Levels will be bigger, more enemies, more cars in racing games, etc... if Nintendo is lacking in power AGAIN it doesn't mean much for first party titles, but titles that are developed for other systems, if its too much of a work "downscaling" that game to Wii U many people won't evenbother doing it.

I've just recently built myself a new gaming pc, since I know what I am doing I could get an 3,5 ghz QUAD AMD Phenom with Republic of Gamers Mainboard, 16 GB Ram, etc... for "just" 800 $. Graphics card in there is 3 years old (but still better than what new consoles are getting) and it runs everything fine on full HD in highest settings.

I don't want to impress anyone with that machine because its purely my private endeavor, what I just want to say, as a showcase is, compared to recent tech, even the next consoles of sony and ms are outdated already, hardware-wise. Sure it's dedicated systems only handling gaming and some media functions, but still, a big gap in hardware power will ONCE AGAIN isolate Nintendo.

I personally didnt even make the step to bluray, I dont want 3D TVs and I don't want any higher resolution than FULL HD for my gaming, but its where the industry will move to, and yes there isnt as much difference in visual quality between 720p and 1080p or the next higher resolution like it was back in the day Wii VS XBOX 360, VS PS3, VS PC, but all the things that are being handled in the background, ai, destructible environments, all those things, will EAT processing power.

Im worried, I always liked nintedo, but I had to make the bitter discovery that for my gaming taste, I need a PC, 3ds AND MAYBE a Wii. I also have that Xbox360 but nothing much awesome came out for it in years... Im sick of shooters!
Boom!

If everything is under control, you're not going fast enough...

3DS Friend Code: 5456-0104-5998

AuthorMessage
Avatar

shingi_70

54. Posted:

You do realize there are more games than shooters on 360 but that is an agurment for another day.

Eh I don't mind Wii U doing 720p. Its not like they have been running HD for a long time like the others have. And I'd rather get 720 at 60fps than 1080p at 30fps.

shingi_70

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

AuthorMessage
Avatar

FOREST_RANGER

55. Posted:

To be honest, I don't know what exactly the other future systems will deliver. If they simply upped the specs to further provide more stuff, they may have to charge more for the consoles. Adding higher resolution beyond 1080p sounds like it requires a lot of video memory, which isn't cheap.

I get the feeling that Nintendo Wii U may rule over Japan further more than the other next-gen consoles since the hardware will satisfy most developers, it's cheaper to make, and the gamepad could enhance JRPGs.

Sony seems to be attempting to get ahead of the competition by providing cloud-based gaming with GAIKAI, which invokes mixed feelings to be honest.

Edited on by FOREST_RANGER

Formely known as bobbiKat

Awesome graphing calculator