Forums

Topic: Nintendo's 2015 line up is pretty good and full of Content.

Posts 41 to 60 of 66

BattleEnder

Octane wrote:

BattleEnder wrote:

They passed up a new Metroid game in favor of a 2D Donkey Kong.

Why do people still pretend as if Retro Studios is the only development team that can make a new Metroid game? Here's a fun fact: Most of the developers that worked on Metroid Prime are no longer with Retro, so effectively, their chances of making an amazing Metroid game are about just as good as any other development team's chances of making a good Metroid game.

You have a point, but most dev teams without a long history with Nintendo won't touch Wii U these days. A few new groups, making their first games (or games that just "fit" with Nintendo), sure, but not the rest of them.

If they're part of a new group, it's likely they want nothing to do with Wii U or that they don't have the resources to do a new metroid game

BattleEnder

Octane

BattleEnder wrote:

Octane wrote:

BattleEnder wrote:

Why do people still pretend as if Retro Studios is the only development team that can make a new Metroid game? Here's a fun fact: Most of the developers that worked on Metroid Prime are no longer with Retro, so effectively, their chances of making an amazing Metroid game are about just as good as any other development team's chances of making a good Metroid game.

You have a point, but most dev teams without a long history with Nintendo won't touch Wii U these days. A few new groups, making their first games (or games that just "fit" with Nintendo), sure, but not the rest of them.

If they're part of a new group, it's likely they want nothing to do with Wii U or that they don't have the resources to do a new metroid game

I was talking about development teams within Nintendo, they have 8 EAD groups iirc and several other subsidiaries.

Octane

jariw

BattleEnder wrote:

Splatoon is a glorified shooting game with a quirk that makes it marketable to children as well as teens and adults. I'm sure it's fun, but it's not 60$ fun. It has a handful of levels and weapons. Frankly, as volume of content goes, it's barely a step up from a very well designed minigame. It's a creative rehash.

I notice that you have no idea what Splatoon even is about.

jariw

Sleepingmudkip

@BattleEnder Splatoon is a great game(I dont even like shooters) and one of the more original shooters these days which i personally think the gaming industry is lacking.

Playing: Wargroove on Switch and Fire Emblem on GBA

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7674-9891 | Nintendo Network ID: lionel1 | Twitter:

veeflames

ZeroZX-Dev wrote:

Really hope that dies soon, because holy heck this is getting annoying.

Just look at your avatar. I could laugh at that for a whole day.
Seriously, though. I'm kinda sick of the doom and gloom, too.

God first.
My Switch FC: SW824410196326

3DS Friend Code: 1134-8006-9637 | Nintendo Network ID: VolcanoFlames

BattleEnder

Sleepingmudkip wrote:

@BattleEnder Splatoon is a great game(I dont even like shooters) and one of the more original shooters these days which i personally think the gaming industry is lacking.

You misunderstand, I agree it's a good game and it's a creative take on the shooter genre. I just don't think it's groundbreakingly creative. It's essentially a varation of a king of the hill mode. That's not bad or anything. I just don't think it has enough content to justify the 60$ pricetag

BattleEnder

Bolt_Strike

Octane wrote:

BattleEnder wrote:

You're right. Let's focus on how in about 5 years of development time, the dozen or so development studios that could potentially work on Metroid passed it up in favor of rehashes and shovelware. Although frankly Retro's decision was stupid, Tropical Freeze didn't really do anything to justify its existence, certainly nothing that made up for no Metroid. Innovators indeed.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

Faruko

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Octane wrote:

BattleEnder wrote:

You're right. Let's focus on how in about 5 years of development time, the dozen or so development studios that could potentially work on Metroid passed it up in favor of rehashes and shovelware. Although frankly Retro's decision was stupid, Tropical Freeze didn't really do anything to justify its existence, certainly nothing that made up for no Metroid. Innovators indeed.

Eeeeh.

Metroid Prime 3 sold like 1.8m while Donkey Kong Country Returns sold like 7m copies

If you really think a Metroid game has a much more justified existence than a sequel to a game that sold more than 3 times Prime 3 then i have no idea what you are talking about.

From an economic point of view (which frankly, for companies is the only one)... It was the right choice.

Edited on by Faruko

WiiU: FarukoSH
3DS FC: 4640-0256-4473
Steam: Farukool
PSN: Farukosh

Aozz101x

BattleEnder wrote:

jariw wrote:

BattleEnder wrote:

I look on the eShop and I don't see any truly innovative third games.

Affordable Space Adventures.

BattleEnder wrote:

Wii U doesn't have innovative games like Super Mario Galaxy, or Super Mario Sunshine. It just has rehashes of things that have already been done.

Splatoon.

Splatoon is a glorified shooting game with a quirk that makes it marketable to children as well as teens and adults. I'm sure it's fun, but it's not 60$ fun. It has a handful of levels and weapons. Frankly, as volume of content goes, it's barely a step up from a very well designed minigame. It's a creative rehash.

Affordable space adventures is a creatively complicated game, but it's not groundbreaking. It's a typical guide-object-through-obstacles-with-minor-lighting. It has some nice controls, but the concept and content is not worth 20 dollars. Maybe 15, but not 20. Similarly, a creative combination of a number of elements from other games, but not particularly innovative.

And frankly, neither pull off the experience well enough for them to qualify as instant classics, either.

you clearly have never play Splatoon's SinglePlayer at all have you... -_-'

Edited on by Aozz101x

My Top 9 Favorite Games of All time.
1. Judgement
2. Baldur's Gate 3
3. Bully (Rockstar)
4. Person 4 / Golden
5. Sonic Adventure 2
6. Xenoblade X
7. Ape Escape 2
8. Animal Crossing: New Leaf
9. James Bond 007 Nightfire

Switch Friend Code: SW-5070-3616-4044 | 3DS Friend Code: 4828-8466-0472 | My Nintendo: Aozz101x | Twitter:

Bolt_Strike

Faruko wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Octane wrote:

BattleEnder wrote:

Eeeeh.

Metroid Prime 3 sold like 1.8m while Donkey Kong Country Returns sold like 7m copies

If you really think a Metroid game has a much more justified existence than a sequel to a game that sold more than 3 times Prime 3 then i have no idea what you are talking about.

From an economic point of view (which frankly, for companies is the only one)... It was the right choice.

It's not just about sales, it's about image and marketing. The lineup at that point in the generation was full of nostalgia fueled rehashy 2D platformers and Tropical Freeze didn't add anything to that. Whereas Metroid was an FPA, a genre completely atypical of Nintendo's lineup. More importantly, Metroid Prime is the perfect game for the Gamepad. There's map and menu screens, gyroscopic aiming, visor control, and then Tanabe came up with even crazier stuff like arm cannon controls. It would've been the perfect game for Nintendo to showcase what the Wii U is about and draw in non-Nintendo fans to potentially give them a bump in sales. But God forbid Nintendo actually do something with the device they went through all of the trouble to shove down our throat, nope we need endless amounts of rehashy platformers. Yeah, maybe it made them more money, but Nintendo has never really been one to put profits before creativity. Until now that is.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

martinskrtel37

wait, what? which "dozen or so development studios that could potentially work on Metroid passed it up"? any proof the franchise was offered to anyone?

or am I wasting my time engaging this Bolt Strike kid again?

Edited on by martinskrtel37

Octane wrote:

everyone needs to relax and enjoy the games that are released today and stop worrying what Nintendo will do in a year or two from now.

3DS Friend Code: 0130-1906-5039 | Nintendo Network ID: martinskrtel37

Bolt_Strike

martinskrtel37 wrote:

wait, what? which "dozen or so development studios that could potentially work on Metroid passed it up"? any proof the franchise was offered to anyone?

Tanabe cited his inability to get a team and resources together as the reason Metroid isn't in development. Which naturally means that he offered it to someone and no one accepted, he didn't just come up with these ideas just so he could sit on them.

Edited on by Bolt_Strike

Bolt_Strike

faint

Aozz wrote:

BattleEnder wrote:

jariw wrote:

BattleEnder wrote:

I look on the eShop and I don't see any truly innovative third games.

Affordable Space Adventures.

BattleEnder wrote:

Wii U doesn't have innovative games like Super Mario Galaxy, or Super Mario Sunshine. It just has rehashes of things that have already been done.

Splatoon.

Affordable space adventures is a creatively complicated game, but it's not groundbreaking. It's a typical guide-object-through-obstacles-with-minor-lighting. It has some nice controls, but the concept and content is not worth 20 dollars. Maybe 15, but not 20. Similarly, a creative combination of a number of elements from other games, but not particularly innovative.

And frankly, neither pull off the experience well enough for them to qualify as instant classics, either.

you clearly have never play Splatoon's SinglePlayer at all have you... -_-'

↑this

[email protected]
friend code: 0103-9004-2456

Faruko

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Faruko wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Octane wrote:

BattleEnder wrote:

Eeeeh.

It's not just about sales, it's about image and marketing. The lineup at that point in the generation was full of nostalgia fueled rehashy 2D platformers and Tropical Freeze didn't add anything to that. Whereas Metroid was an FPA, a genre completely atypical of Nintendo's lineup. More importantly, Metroid Prime is the perfect game for the Gamepad. There's map and menu screens, gyroscopic aiming, visor control, and then Tanabe came up with even crazier stuff like arm cannon controls. It would've been the perfect game for Nintendo to showcase what the Wii U is about and draw in non-Nintendo fans to potentially give them a bump in sales. But God forbid Nintendo actually do something with the device they went through all of the trouble to shove down our throat, nope we need endless amounts of rehashy platformers. Yeah, maybe it made them more money, but Nintendo has never really been one to put profits before creativity. Until now that is.

Nintendo its a company and their priorities are: 1st profits, 2nd profits, 3rd profits and in a late 4th... profits.

Creativity its just a path to get to those profits, other companies use other kind of tactics, but they all want the same, profit.

Edited on by Faruko

Bolt_Strike

Faruko wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Faruko wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Octane wrote:

BattleEnder wrote:

Eeeeh.

Nintendo its a company and their priorities are: 1st profits, 2nd profits, 3rd profits and in a late 4th... profits.

Creativity its just a path to get to those profits, other companies use other kind of tactics, but they all want the same, profit.

And yet they didn't take that path this generation. Metroid Prime 4 would've been more in line with that than Tropical Freeze.

Bolt_Strike

Sleepingmudkip

Tropical freeze sold less then prime 3 btw with 1.06m but it may be because the wiiU isnt the biggest success

Playing: Wargroove on Switch and Fire Emblem on GBA

3DS Friend Code: 3136-7674-9891 | Nintendo Network ID: lionel1 | Twitter:

Faruko

Sleepingmudkip wrote:

Tropical freeze sold less then prime 3 btw with 1.06m but it may be because the wiiU isnt the biggest success

I was comparing Returns to Prime 3 and what would be the logical choice for Prime 4 vs Tropical Freeze.

Faruko

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Faruko wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Faruko wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Octane wrote:

BattleEnder wrote:

Eeeeh.

And yet they didn't take that path this generation. Metroid Prime 4 would've been more in line with that than Tropical Freeze.

People change you know ? People can take decisions that may or may not be the best decision (Obviously you dont know untill you take it).

Maybe they thought it wasnt the best decision ? And who can blame them.

Was the best decision not following this time ? We may never know, but Tropical Freeze camefrom a line that sold WAY more than Prime 3 did.

Edited on by Faruko

Bolt_Strike

Faruko wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Faruko wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Faruko wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Octane wrote:

BattleEnder wrote:

Eeeeh.

People change you know ? People can take decisions that may or may not be the best decision (Obviously you dont know untill you take it).

Was the best decision not following this time ? We may never know, but Tropical Freeze camefrom a line that sold WAY more than Prime 3 did.

I can. Because it was an awful decision.

Bolt_Strike

Faruko

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Faruko wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Faruko wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Faruko wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

Octane wrote:

BattleEnder wrote:

Eeeeh.

I can. Because it was an awful decision.

Please enlighten me, because saying it like that doesnt make it obvious.

Get me the economic plan to validate your point.

Just realize that this same company sold more than 55-60m 3DS, 145m DS and a 110m Wiis

Edited on by Faruko

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.