Forums

Topic: External Hard Drive Compatibility List!

Posts 1 to 20 of 98

Bulbousaur

Hello there everyone! I had to idea of starting a list here on this thread of all of the hard drives people are using so people without a Wii U or in need of an external hard drive can come and browse through which ones are confirmed to work 100%. I know most hard drives with Nintendo's specifications will work (external power supply/Y USB cable and up to 2 TB), but some people may only need 500 GB for example, and there are not many which which those specifications from where I can find. And obviously I, or anyone really, wants to spend £70 on one to discover it doesn't work...

So yeah, post the ones you use for the good of Nintendo fans everywhere

Ones confirmed so far by Nintendo themselves:
Buffalo:
1 TB: HD-LB1.0TU3-US
2 TB: HD-LB2.0TU3-US

Toshiba:
1 TB: HDWC110XK3J1
2 TB: HDWC120XK3J1

Edited on by Bulbousaur

SteamID: bulby1994

Nintendo Network ID: Bulbousaur

xBASSxMONSTAx

Good thread. I wanna know which is the biggest and best hard drive that is best compatible, ready for business

Edited on by xBASSxMONSTAx

xBASSxMONSTAx

Geonjaha

You know its not going well when the thread title needs a TL;DR.

I make Pixel Art on occasion, and sometimes sell them as Game Assets.

Bulbousaur

Geonjaha wrote:

You know its not going well when the thread title needs a TL;DR.

Shortened, hopefully should pick up a bit

SteamID: bulby1994

Nintendo Network ID: Bulbousaur

adrenochrome

Why not turning the question the other way ? let's suppose that every disc is compatible and build a list of incompatible discs, it will be even much shorter

3.5" :
any 3.5" disc is supposed to be supported since they all have an external power supply

2.5" :
Why do you say there are not many discs ( < or = to 500gb) that meet the requirements ? a cable is a cable : you can use a Y cable with any external 2.5" disc
if you've got a 2.5" disc with a single plug that work with your computer, i'm pretty sure that it will work the same on your wiiu without a Y cable, this Y thing is only a kind of safety advice from nintendo.

Edited on by adrenochrome

adrenochrome

Nintendo Network ID: adrenochrome

MAB

MadAussie Top Pick (because I already purchased it so that means it's gonna be the best)

2TB Seagate Expansion super speed USB 2.0/3.0 Desktop AC powered HDD... Small, black and quiet AU$99 possibly even cheaper in other countries

MAB

Razalom

MadAussieBloke wrote:

MadAussie Top Pick (because I already purchased it so that means it's gonna be the best)

2TB Seagate Expansion super speed USB 2.0/3.0 Desktop AC powered HDD... Small, black and quiet AU$99 possibly even cheaper in other countries

Was just looking at that one on the JB Hifi website so will grab it tomorrow.

NNID : Razalom (Australia)

MAB

Razalom wrote:

MadAussieBloke wrote:

MadAussie Top Pick (because I already purchased it so that means it's gonna be the best)

2TB Seagate Expansion super speed USB 2.0/3.0 Desktop AC powered HDD... Small, black and quiet AU$99 possibly even cheaper in other countries

Was just looking at that one on the JB Hifi website so will grab it tomorrow.

U da man bro!

MAB

Razalom

Cant wait till Friday tbh. My kids are also pretty damn excited for Nintentoland and also want me to download NSMBU

Edited on by Razalom

NNID : Razalom (Australia)

Sean_Aaron

I was already planning on getting a bigger drive for my media, so I'll have a spare Seagate 2TB externally-powered desktop drive (one of the shiny black ones). I should imagine this will work fine. Think it cost me £70 two years ago at Maplin. Dabs has a pretty good selection of hard drives as well and I've ordered stuff from them plenty of times. I think Amazon will still be the price leader, however.

BLOG, mail: sean@seansworld.scot
Nintendo ID: sean.aaron

Razalom

MadAussieBloke wrote:

MadAussie Top Pick (because I already purchased it so that means it's gonna be the best)

2TB Seagate Expansion super speed USB 2.0/3.0 Desktop AC powered HDD... Small, black and quiet AU$99 possibly even cheaper in other countries

Sigh JB had none in stock. Will wait till mid week before grabbing anything I can

NNID : Razalom (Australia)

MAB

Razalom wrote:

MadAussieBloke wrote:

MadAussie Top Pick (because I already purchased it so that means it's gonna be the best)

2TB Seagate Expansion super speed USB 2.0/3.0 Desktop AC powered HDD... Small, black and quiet AU$99 possibly even cheaper in other countries

Sigh JB had none in stock. Will wait till mid week before grabbing anything I can

I got mine from Office Works so you might want to give that place a shot

Prepare yourself guys and gals... The great external HDD drought is on the horizon

Edited on by MAB

MAB

Razalom

MadAussieBloke wrote:

I got mine from Office Works so you might want to give that place a shot

Prepare yourself guys and gals... The great external HDD drought is on the horizon

Too much of a car trip for me to the nearest Office Works (yeah I am lazy ok! ) so might try BigW

NNID : Razalom (Australia)

QATAR

I've bought this WD 1TB (same as GeePers) and it runs perfectly

Untitled

Nintendo Network ID: Vampire
PSN: MAFIA
XBL: almarri
SNK - The Future is Now

skywake

Has anyone tried a standard 2.5" drive without the Y cable to see if it works? I'm curious about whether they're just being pedantic about the Y cable thing or not. If nobody has then I guess I'll just test it myself before the end of the week and post the results here anyways.

NNID: skywake
Musics to set the tone: Think, Dance, Relax
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

19Robb92

Is there any way to format a HDD so that half of the memory is used for the WiiU only and half is compatible with other products?

Looking forward to: ZeldaU & Hyrule Warriors

Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

adrenochrome

@skywake

it's very likely to work because Nintendo dont mention "y" cable in the main documentation :
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wiiu/en_na/system_ex...
they mention the "y" cable only in the Q/A, which for me is what to read only if you run into troubles

@19Robb92

for me, the only way that may allow it is the following :

  • let the wiiu format it entirely
  • use some linux tool like parted to resize the wii partition in a low level way (no windows tools will allow to resize a partition with an unknown format)
  • put it again into the wiiu and make the wiiu format it again. hopefully, enough wii specific info will remain on the partition and the wii may try to only format the partition and not the whole disc

if it work it could be considered by nintendo as a flaw and may be not possible anymore after a system update

if you want i'll try friday when i'll get mine

Edited on by adrenochrome

adrenochrome

Nintendo Network ID: adrenochrome

Razalom

2TB drives seem to be out of stock everywhere I look! LOL wonder if that means there are a lot of WiiU pre-orders around my area

NNID : Razalom (Australia)

Top

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic