Forums

Topic: Nintendo X EVO 2016

Posts 1 to 20 of 27

Blast

Good ol' Nintendo is bringing Smash 4 Wii U, Smash Melee AND Pokken to Evo. EVO is a huge fighting game event where the spotlight is directly on the games and its players. This is freaking huge. Let's GO.

There will be a tournament of very intense matches guys. It's gonna be a treat! This thread will capture EVO in all its hype and excitement!

Edited on by Blast

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

shingi_70

I wish Melee would die already.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Jazzer94

Nice to see Melee on the main stage definitely earned its place, not sure how well Pokken will do looked very gimicky.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

DefHalan

I am always mixed on Melee. I think it had its time and should allow for the more enjoyable Smash 4 get its spotlight, but then watching Pros playing Melee and the game looks amazing. I wish there was a way to make matches a bit faster in Smash 4. (the speed doesn't need to be increased, just matches take too long sometimes. Especially when running away and avoiding is considered a legitimate strategy)

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Sticker

shingi_70 wrote:

Preach it, user.
Melee got extremely overrated over the years.

"PlatinumGamer" wrote:

Is Nintendo Life even that good of a fourm anyways?

"Sparks" wrote:

prolly full of 6 year olds tbh

Nintendo Network ID: Senpai900900

shingi_70

@DefHalan:

That's how I feel , I respect that melee's communtuy support so strong but wish they'd move to smash 4. The street fighter and Netherealm community moved over to the next game in they're series.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

martinskrtel37

@shingi_70: what an absolutely terrible and backwards thing to say. if you respect a community so much why do you want them to move to a different game? the games aren't even similar. you may as well bemoan them for not moving to professional Mario Kart. other scenes moving onto sequels really has nothing to do with Smash.

Melee players tried moving to Brawl but it sucked so they went back. why would they "move to Smash 4" when they already play Melee? i don't even understand why someone on the outside would wish a competitive gaming scene would die, especially a Nintendo one.

Melee never got overrated, it got to where it is today through nothing but blood, sweat and tears, hard work, nobody ever ever overrated Melee. kids talking out your asses here.

as for Evo, it's beautiful to see Melee and SFV share main stage. Street Fighter and Smash Bros. Melee have become gigantic and i'm so happy to see these classic fighters i've always loved be so well recognised. if only Soul Calbur was still up there!

Edited on by martinskrtel37

Octane wrote:

everyone needs to relax and enjoy the games that are released today and stop worrying what Nintendo will do in a year or two from now.

3DS Friend Code: 0130-1906-5039 | Nintendo Network ID: martinskrtel37

DefHalan

@martinskrtel37: Melee is pretty overrated in my opinion. It is good but skill gaps are to large to make anything other than the best interesting. Smash 4 brought these skill gaps closer. I get tired of seeing Marths, Jigglypuffs, and Captain Falcons all the time, and it turns into big news when a random character, like Yoshi, places in the top 16 at a tournament. Smash 4 is still evolving. Smash 4 is still growing. Most people complain about Smash 4 by comparing it to Melee, instead of seeing what Smash 4 offers.

Like I said, watching the Best Players on Melee is amazing, it is the other 99% of matches that I find boring. Smash 4 is much more enjoyable for me to watch, even players with lower skill levels. Which makes spectating Smash 4 better more often. I also like how Smash 4 offers a bit more strategy and a bit less of speed, which adds to my enjoyment spectating. I can follow Smash 4 matches much easier than the flashing lights a lot of Melee matches turn into.

But I am also a person that doesn't find much fun in MOBAs for a similar reason as to why I don't enjoy Melee as much. I want to be able to see what is going on and understand it, even with a casual interest in the game. In Smash 4 I can see the attacks a lot easier and talk about them while Melee turns into a blur. It is impressive people can play at those speeds, but I want to be able to understand and see what is happening.

shingi_70

@martinskrtel37:

Rather see Melee get phased out I'm favour of the new King of Fighters. Street Fighter 4 is being phased out for 5, so Ids assume the same thing would happen to melee.

WAT!

martinskrtel37

@DefHalan: Melee only "turns into a blur" and has "skill gaps" to you because you don't understand it. you have no idea what's going on that's why you can't follow Melee. but sadly it doesn't seem like you make an effort - it's not actually that fast. if you watched Australian Football you would dislike it initially too, purely because you have no idea what's happening. Smash 4 is boring when you understand both games, play both games and watch both games. I'm not even pro-Melee and anti-Smash 4, this is just fact, this is how you think when you understand both games - there is no competition. one is a year old and has only 12 months of discovery and growth. the other has 15 years of history, discoveries, advancements. it's into it's third generation of being a competitive game. it's got so much history you are intimidated - that's a sad way to look at a game in the same series of a game you play.

don't feel intimidated, it's not hard to short hop, or fast fall, or air dodge, or do these things one after the other, slowly getting faster and faster until holy cow! you look like a pro! i thought the "skill gaps" were "to large"????

smash 4 employs more strategy? that's like saying there's more strategy in hop scotch then Chess. just because the fight is moving so slowly you can see the actions and reactions doesn't mean there's more strategy then Melee fighting, it means you can't keep up with Melee to see what's happening! take the time to learn the game instead of dissing it with internet generalizations about everyone playing Marth... and what was that thing about Yoshi? you just made that up!

Edited on by LaserdiscGal

Octane wrote:

everyone needs to relax and enjoy the games that are released today and stop worrying what Nintendo will do in a year or two from now.

martinskrtel37

shingi_70 wrote:

@martinskrtel37:

Rather see Melee get phased out I'm favour of the new King of Fighters. Street Fighter 4 is being phased out for 5, so Ids assume the same thing would happen to melee.

yeah thanks for the contribution.........

why would you assume capcom's practices with street fighter have anything to do with smash bros. melee

Octane wrote:

Shinion

Whilst I never got the love-in with Melee that others have (I'm just not very good at it or at least nowhere near the level of the professionals) I do respect its community and fanbase (apart from the few who treat Brawl as some sort of sacrilege) and I will always have respect for its legacy. It's at a stage when only the biggest Melee fans actively play it over the Wii U version, so I think it's easy to ignore if you want, asking it to 'die' is a bit extreme. Will there ever be a game with the longevity of Melee again? I reckon not, and for that reason I'd hate to see it go for whatever reason.

Though I personally am most excited for Pokken, I wouldn't play Street Fighter 5 for more than 10 minutes as I don't get the hype behind that series at all but I can't wait to kick some butt as Chandelure, Suicune, Braixen and Machamp. It's gonna be gud

Shinion

DefHalan

@martinskrtel37: I feel like I have a pretty good understanding of Melee actually. My brother is super into it over Smash 4. I have played Melee a lot and have played against some good players. I got to watch my brother get owned in Melee by Zero at a tournament once. I don't think it is too fast because I don't understand it, I think it is too fast for average viewers to watch it. It is too difficult for spectators to join in the fun of watching.

Smash 4 gives the average player a better chance to understand what is going on. You can see the dodges and the power attacks. I agree that Melee's long history has been to its advantage but I want to see Smash 4 get get a history too. I respect Melee players and the speed they play at is impressive but I don't know how much longer it can last. Its popularity was waning a while ago and then it got a big push. I wonder how long that push will last.

The Yoshi thing came from a few months ago when there was an impressive Yoshi player rising up in Melee. Yoshi is my favorite Smash character, so I pay extra attention lol

Jazzer94

DefHalan wrote:

@martinskrtel37: I feel like I have a pretty good understanding of Melee actually. My brother is super into it over Smash 4. I have played Melee a lot and have played against some good players. I got to watch my brother get owned in Melee by Zero at a tournament once. I don't think it is too fast because I don't understand it, I think it is too fast for average viewers to watch it. It is too difficult for spectators to join in the fun of watching.

Smash 4 gives the average player a better chance to understand what is going on. You can see the dodges and the power attacks. I agree that Melee's long history has been to its advantage but I want to see Smash 4 get get a history too. I respect Melee players and the speed they play at is impressive but I don't know how much longer it can last. Its popularity was waning a while ago and then it got a big push. I wonder how long that push will last.

The Yoshi thing came from a few months ago when there was an impressive Yoshi player rising up in Melee. Yoshi is my favorite Smash character, so I pay extra attention lol

Yeah that must be why more people watch and enter Melee all the time.

Edited on by Jazzer94

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

DefHalan

@Jazzer94: Yes people continue to watch it, but how much longer will it's audience grow? There was a time where Melee almost died. That time will come again at some point. Other series move on to the new game to keep popularity, Smash is one of the rare series where a lot of the fans haven't moved on.

shingi_70

martinskrtel37 wrote:

shingi_70 wrote:

@martinskrtel37:

yeah thanks for the contribution.........

why would you assume capcom's practices with street fighter have anything to do with smash bros. melee

It's the nature of the FGC people complained when Third Strike was phased out for SFIV, and the same thing happened to MK9>Injustice>MKX. It's just the nature of the beast and I feel the same thing should happen to melee. The community will always be there, but to me Evo should phase the game out like they've done with other games in the past.

WAT!

Kai_

shingi_70 wrote:

This, tbh.

Kai_

3DS Friend Code: 0989-2471-3448

martinskrtel37

DefHalan wrote:

@Jazzer94: Yes people continue to watch it, but how much longer will it's audience grow? There was a time where Melee almost died. That time will come again at some point. Other series move on to the new game to keep popularity, Smash is one of the rare series where a lot of the fans haven't moved on.

it's audience has been growing for over 10 years, why would it stop today? and why do you care about that specifically, are you financially invested in smash bros? and you say that last line like it's a bad thing - they haven't moved on? is playing a brilliant video game a bad thing now? when did it become a bad thing to competitively play a video game? in case you didn't know, the smash community DID try and "move on", when brawl came out everyone bought it and everyone was hyped but they realised - by using their brains - that they didn't like it as much. so they went back to the version they did like, the brilliant version, and kept playing it. do you think they should have just started playing brawl because it's the new version?

shingi_70 wrote:

It's the nature of the FGC people complained when Third Strike was phased out for SFIV, and the same thing happened to MK9>Injustice>MKX. It's just the nature of the beast and I feel the same thing should happen to melee. The community will always be there, but to me Evo should phase the game out like they've done with other games in the past.

when you say "the nature of the community" and "the nature of the beast" you really mean "what happens to a few fighting games to maintain hype". the "beast" is a very new thing, there is no norm, no status quo to follow. you are brainwashed by the idea a "game franchise" (terrible term) has to be updated every single year, so everyone pays $100 to the big dogs for a slight slight upgrade on the game they already own. so they can say they own the latest version. even if it's not as good and people don't like it as much, it's the latest version right????? you even acknowledge that the SF players complained when the game they loved was needlessly replaced and the sequel was thrown at them with incentives to "move on", yet you seem to be for this money-hungry and community-crushing agenda? smh

you are trying to rag on the game so fucking good from the get-go it doesn't need yearly "updates" or million dollar marketing campaigns. MOST games are sold on everything BUT how they play and that is lost on many.

to be a dick about it, nobody in this thread knows anything or even cares about the "F G C" so don't pretend like you do. you are talking about hoping a community of gamers who love a nintendo game dies but you know nothing about it. you may as well tell competitive chess how it should be ran because it's just as relevant to you

Octane wrote:

DefHalan

@martinskrtel37: I thi k it is funny when people bring up the financial side of arguments. No, we are not financially toed to a game doing well, we are just passionate about it and want to discuss it. That is kinda what we do on these forums lol.

I don't think Brawl has much to do about this. Brawl was mechanically shallow and filled with RGN to give fair competition. Now we have a new, good Smash and people just don't want to move on. I am not saying it is impossible for Melee to be around for 10 more years but it will be difficult. I think Smash 4 has just gotten started and people are still splashing around in the shallow end. I think Smash 4 is more likely to last longer. However, people bashing/ignoring the new game in a series is not good for the series lifespan. Giving the new game in a series more limelight will increase the chances of a sequel being made.

But the real point I was trying to make is, I don't get as much enjoyment from Melee matches as watching Smash 4 matches. Melee matches are too fast fo me to enjoy it. They are similar to MOBA battles imo. A bunch of stuff happenes and 1 side wins. Without rewinding and analyzing it is to difficult to know the play by play of what is going on. Smash 4, I can talk to my brother about what the players are doing right/wrong as the match is happening, leading to a better experience for me.

martinskrtel37

DefHalan wrote:

I don't think Brawl has much to do about this.

brawl has everything to do with this

Brawl was mechanically shallow

brawl has much, much more technical depth then smash 4 but people still didn't like it.

Now we have a new, good Smash and people just don't want to move on.

you think it's good, most melee players don't. please answer what i asked the other guy: is playing a brilliant video game a bad thing now? when did it become a bad thing to competitively play a video game? in case you didn't know, the smash community DID try and "move on", when brawl came out everyone bought it and everyone was hyped but they realised - by using their brains - that they didn't like it as much. so they went back to the version they did like, the brilliant version, and kept playing it. do you think they should have just started playing brawl because it's the new version?

where is this notion of needing to move on from playing a video game coming from? does anyone ever tell anyone to move on from playing super mario 64? "don't bother with 120 stars, super mario galaxy is out now. there's no point playing super mario 64. doesn't matter if you want to play it. you should support the sequel so there can be another sequel. even if you don't enjoy the gameplay as much, it's time to move on". what?!

i think you guys are brainwashed by the esports bull going on. a game doesn't need to run through High Definition cables to be good. you don't need a sequel to bring interest - like i said good gameplay beats everything, what's the best example? melee, a 15 year old game, being the most popular in the franchise. why? because it PLAYS the best. because GAMERS love to PLAY the GAME. you guys are actually furious at a video game for being so good that it's still popular. it's nothing but a well designed video game. are we gamers or are we consumers?

Edited on by LzWinky

Octane wrote:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.