Forums

Topic: Nintendo spends $100 million on mystery acquisition!

Posts 41 to 60 of 62

UGXwolf

@ZyroXZ2 Did I miss something? When did we find out it wasn't gaming related? I must've skipped over that bit or not clicked the link, or something.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

Peach64

I'm pretty positive it would be a company related to QoL. They're planning to move into a field they know very little about, so it makes perfect sense.

Peach64

CaviarMeths

It's almost 100% guaranteed to not be a development studio. What studio would both a) cost no more than $100mil and b) be worthwhile to purchase? Most indy and mid-tier developers are already working with Nintendo, so buying them would be pointless, and they sure as heck aren't buying a major 3rd party for $100mil. Atlus sold for more than that, and it caters to a niche audience. For as much as the internet loves Persona, none of them have ever sold a million copies.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

skywake

CaviarMeths wrote:

Most indy and mid-tier developers are already working with Nintendo, so buying them would be pointless,

Unless they have some sort of particularly interesting tech under their belt. Worth remembering that they did buy out a 49% share in RARE back in the day and that isn't the only independent studio they've done that with. It's not out of the question,

CaviarMeths wrote:

and they sure as heck aren't buying a major 3rd party for $100mil.

Well no, they're not going to be buying someone like Square Enix, Capcom or Konami. They might buy one of their smaller studios though. Just like how Microsoft brought RARE for ~$400mill. Not out of the question I wouldn't think.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

OmegaMetroid93

If nintendo brought back Rare, I would flip out. But it's not going to happen. Still, I'm expecting it to be something to do with NFP or the QOL platform.

OmegaMetroid93

CaviarMeths

skywake wrote:

CaviarMeths wrote:

Most indy and mid-tier developers are already working with Nintendo, so buying them would be pointless,

Unless they have some sort of particularly interesting tech under their belt.

You could be right. I don't know which small dev might be sitting on some useful tech, but I'm not 'in the know.'

I would definitely consider it far more likely that the acquisition is an independent tech-based company that doesn't have a games development studio though.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

DefHalan

I don't understand why people would want Nintendo to buy Rare back. All of Rare's IP's have probably been transferred to Microsoft and most (if not all) of the staff from back in the day has left, so what is the point?

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

cookiex

DefHalan wrote:

I don't understand why people would want Nintendo to buy Rare back. All of Rare's IP's have probably been transferred to Microsoft and most (if not all) of the staff from back in the day has left, so what is the point?

A better solution at this point would be what Grant Kirkhope wanted to do; reunite ex-Rare talent and form a new studio.

Edited on by cookiex

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

MuchoMochi

I think the $100 million dollar mystery acquisition is actually a way to launder money to hide Iwata and the marketing department's massive marijuana smoking habit.

3DS Friend Code: 2895-6767-5334

unrandomsam

CaviarMeths wrote:

It's almost 100% guaranteed to not be a development studio. What studio would both a) cost no more than $100mil and b) be worthwhile to purchase? Most indy and mid-tier developers are already working with Nintendo, so buying them would be pointless, and they sure as heck aren't buying a major 3rd party for $100mil. Atlus sold for more than that, and it caters to a niche audience. For as much as the internet loves Persona, none of them have ever sold a million copies.

Not most by a long shot. Some of the least interesting middle of the road ones. (And none of the Japanese ones like - Edelweiss who are light years ahead of most of the Western ones).

Nintendo has some sort of stake in Dwango who make some of the games I thought were made by Atlus cannot find it mentioned anywhere about the 615,000 shares they bought how much they cost in November 13.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spike_Chunsoft (They made conception 2 even though people seem to attribute it to Atlus).

“30fps Is Not a Good Artistic Decision, It's a Failure”
Freedom of the press is for those who happen to own one.

Shane904

Mizore wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

A machine that builds fancy cake, in a jiffy.

This would be epic. lol

One might say that would be a very sweet acquisition.
Nintendo has everything, but this would just be the icing on the cake.
Sorry, that last pun was half baked.

Shane904

kyuubikid213

@Shane904
Boo.

I own a PS1, GBA, GBA SP, Wii (GCN), 360, 3DS, PC (Laptop), Wii U, and PS4.
I used to own a GBC, PS2, and DS Lite

I'm on YouTube.

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I pro...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

ZyroXZ2

UGXwolf wrote:

@ZyroXZ2 Did I miss something? When did we find out it wasn't gaming related? I must've skipped over that bit or not clicked the link, or something.

Check out my entertainment gaming channel!

www.youtube.com/ZyroXZ2

^^/

Nintendo Network ID: ZyroXZ2 | Twitter:

OmegaMetroid93

Shane904 wrote:

Mizore wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

A machine that builds fancy cake, in a jiffy.

This would be epic. lol

One might say that would be a very sweet acquisition.
Nintendo has everything, but this would just be the icing on the cake.
Sorry, that last pun was half baked.

You're the best. Seriously. xD

OmegaMetroid93

skywake

ZyroXZ2 wrote:

UGXwolf wrote:

oh nice, didn't see that one. I restrict my theorising to exclude any Japanese gaming related companies. Which leaves me thinking "wha? I have no idea". That said, we think it's either their quality of life product or something else entirely, maybe NFC related, from a "non-gaming non-Japan company". Hmm....

Untitled

Edited on by skywake

DefHalan

I still think if the company they bought isn't game related that the tech the company is working on can be used in a gaming way (or at least Nintendo thinks so)

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

skywake

DefHalan wrote:

I still think if the company they bought isn't game related that the tech the company is working on can be used in a gaming way (or at least Nintendo thinks so)

We are talking about a company that has made "gaming products" out of gyros, scales, bongos, pedometers, IR cameras and so on. Now I doubt it's the pebble, it was just a stab in the dark... but it's not that crazy. Also for a company like that $200mill would be about the sort of ballpark figure.

Also it's a smart watch, not a watch. There are plenty of potential gaming related applications for that sort of thing.

kkslider5552000

I heard it suggested that it might be the guys behind Nintendo TVii (who also apparently were the ones who worked on Mario Kart TV).

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.