Forums

Topic: Nintendo spends $100 million on mystery acquisition!

Posts 1 to 20 of 62

SCRAPPER392

A machine that builds fancy cake, in a jiffy.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

Dreamz

A link to a random tweet from a person unaffiliated with Nintendo that cites no source?

Better stock up on salt cubes.

Edited on by Dreamz

My 3rd Party Games List: Click here
U-Wishlist: Splatoon, Zelda U

Joeynator3000

SCAR392 wrote:

A machine that builds fancy cake, in a jiffy.

This would be epic. lol

My Monster Hunter Rise Gameplay
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzirEG5duST1bEJi0-9kUORu5SRfvuTLr

Discord server: https://discord.gg/fGUnxcK
Keep it PG-13-ish.

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/Joeynator3000

skywake

Dreamz wrote:

A link to a random tweet from a person unaffiliated with Nintendo that cites no source?

He is the source, dude's hardly a random on the internet. He is one of the handful of guys at the investor meeting live-tweeting the event in English. It would be like if one of the two or three dudes in the media gallery at a press event for some political thing reported that some new tax was on the table. It makes sense, it's not crazy and dude is credible source. True until someone shows that it isn't.

I would also add that $100mill is probably about what you'd expect for a mid-tier acquisition. When THQ had their fire sale of various IPs they made a good $100mill or so. And that was for a company that was being liquidated so, you'd assume that the prices were at a low. If they've picked up an independent studio that's doing fairly well then $100mill is peanuts.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

19Robb92

I just hope it money well spent.

Looking forward to: No More Heroes: Travis Strikes Again

3DS Friend Code: 3007-8070-6318 | Nintendo Network ID: 19Robb92

kereke12

Well I can tell you one thing it probably has to do with NFC.

LONG LIVE NINTENDO

Switch Friend Code: sw-4699-3487-8963 | My Nintendo: kereke12 | Nintendo Network ID: Kereke12

jariw

skywake wrote:

Dreamz wrote:

He is the source, dude's hardly a random on the internet. He is one of the handful of guys at the investor meeting live-tweeting the event in English. It would be like if one of the two or three dudes in the media gallery at a press event for some political thing reported that some new tax was on the table. It makes sense, it's not crazy and dude is credible source. True until someone shows that it isn't.

I would also add that $100mill is probably about what you'd expect for a mid-tier acquisition. When THQ had their fire sale of various IPs they made a good $100mill or so. And that was for a company that was being liquidated so, you'd assume that the prices were at a low. If they've picked up an independent studio that's doing fairly well then $100mill is peanuts.

I also read somewhere that those $100mil was part of that $200mil loss they presented. I haven't looked that closely at the figures myself to verify it, though.

Edited on by jariw

jariw

DefHalan

It seems a lot of people on the comments section from the link are hung-up on the word "tech."

To me tech could mean lots of things but if tech means hardware then my guess is it is a company they bought for their NFC stuff... if tech just means technology, like I would guess and would open the doors for both hardware and software, then it was probably to buy a smaller Japanese Developer that has had close ties to Nintendo before

Basically either way I don't think it is a big deal... can't wait to see if Nintendo proves me wrong

Edited on by DefHalan

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

skywake

@DefHalan
I think it's safe to assume that the word "tech" refers to pretty much anything in that space. It's as vague a term as you can get which is probably why they used it. For example, what would you describe Google's acquisitions of Youtube and Google Maps back in the day? You'd call them tech companies. Same would apply to Facebook buying Oculus, that's also a tech acquisition. I wouldn't read into it that much.

That said I don't think NFC is the most likely thing. It's not like they don't have the capacity to produce plastic based toys through some other company already. The introduction of NFC doesn't complicate things anymore than the use of Bluetooth or WiFi. Ontop of that there's no reason why the software couldn't be done in-house especially given that they're making a point about it being a cross-platform thing across multiple games.

If I was to guess something that was actual tech? I'd be looking at the Quality of Life platform. That could easily involve the acquisition of some smart-watch or fitness monitor company. But for $100mill? I'm leaning towards a mid-tier developer including some mid-tier IP.

Edited on by skywake

Bryon15

I know people don't like Capcom to much anymore but if they bought them and have Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Mega Man, the vs. series, Lost Planet, etc exclusive to them under Nintendo's mangement. Wow, that would be something.

Please support kingdom hearts 3 coming to Wii U by signing this petition - http://tinyurl.com/koqt5d3 - Thank You :)

Nintenjoe64

I reckon $100M is too much for it to be any small developers we know of and too small to be any major ones.

It's probably an acquisition to stop certain patent trolls by buying them out before they complain.

I only posted this to get my avatar as the forum's thumbnail.

Taffy

More than likely to do with the QOL they have planned.

Nintendo Network ID: sgt.taffy
Currently playing - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

CaviarMeths

Bryon15 wrote:

I know people don't like Capcom to much anymore but if they bought them and have Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Mega Man, the vs. series, Lost Planet, etc exclusive to them under Nintendo's mangement. Wow, that would be something.

They didn't buy a major 3rd party studio, man. It's overwhelmingly likely that they didn't buy any game development studio or IP.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

UGXwolf

CaviarMeths wrote:

Bryon15 wrote:

They didn't buy a major 3rd party studio, man. It's overwhelmingly likely that they didn't buy any game development studio or IP.

I don't see how that's over-whelmingly likely. Very possible, sure. Over-whelmingly likely? Not really. We'll just have to wait and see on this one.

A nifty calendar (Updated 9/13/15)
The UGXloggery ... really needs an update.

kyuubikid213

A port of Destiny.

Nah, just kidding.

It's probably for advertisement, games, and advertisement.

If it's all just for one game, I'll be excited.

I own a PS1, GBA, GBA SP, Wii (GCN), 360, 3DS, PC (Laptop), Wii U, and PS4.
I used to own a GBC, PS2, and DS Lite

I'm on YouTube.

I promise to not derail threads. Request from theblackdragon

I pro...

3DS Friend Code: 4639-9073-1731 | Nintendo Network ID: kyuubikid213

cookiex

kyuubikid213 wrote:

A port of Destiny.

After what Activision's spent on Destiny lord knows they can use that money lol.

cookiex
Self-appointed NintendoLife Hyrule Warriors ambassador

skywake

kyuubikid213 wrote:

It's probably for advertisement, games, and advertisement

You don't "acquire" advertising and you certainty don't call it a "tech acquisition". A developer? Sure. A set of patents? yup. A company that builds some unique piece of hardware? definitely. Some third party IP? Maybe. But Advertising? Nope, no way it's that.

Ryno

Nintendo buying back Rare confirmed. Rejoice everyone, N64 collect-a-thons are coming back!

To blessed to be stressed.
80's music makes me feel fabulous.
What Would Duane Do?
Rynoggery

Nintendo Network ID: Choryzo

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.