Wii U Forum

Topic: Nintendo Remaking games? Is it helping or ruining game legacy's?

Showing 21 to 40 of 44

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Neoproteus

21. Posted:

I can't say anything broad about remakes in general that hasn't already been said, except that it's nice when an old favorite from a console that you've long since discarded or packed into the closet becomes available on a modern day console. If it has updated graphics; bonus! It's especially nice when they come in collections, like the God of War Saga, the Jak and Daxter Collection, or the soon to be released Final Fantasy X + X-2 and Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Remix. Nintendo seems to have a different approach though, and knows that there's still value in a remake of a single game at full price because people tend to like their old games more than those of third parties.

Still, I'd love to see a Super Mario HD collection with 64, Sunshine, Galaxy 1+2. and New Super Mario Bros Wii. The only one that'd take any work is 64. I get the impression that if they were to remake 64 or Sunshine though, they'd want to overhaul them and release them sepearately, and the Galaxy games and NSMBWii are too recent. A legend of Zelda collection would be awesome too, with Ocarina, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword all on the same disk. Once again though, Majora's Mask would take an overhaul and they're already overhauling Wind Waker as a stand-alone release. Other than those two franchises, the only games I can see coming out in HD remakes are Fire Emblem and Pokemon, both of which would require an overhaul for every single entry. Probably not going to happen this generation. Perhaps in 2018 we can expect that all of the best N64 games will have gotten overhauls and every Nintendo game ever made will be available on a single console.

Neoproteus

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AlexSays

22. Posted:

The_Joker wrote:

Despite what most of you think, remakes don't really take developers away from new projects.

Who works on remakes then? I'd like to know the magical unseen force behind the NPC series.

Edited to avoid turning this into a thread about the movie industry..

Edited on by AlexSays

AlexSays

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Chris720

23. Posted:

@The_Joker Although companies will use outside developers to remake games, I'm sure they still have to jump a lot of hurdles to find the one that will do it justice and have enough time on their hands to do it. Also I think Aonuma is helping develop Wind Waker, while he could be doing the next Zelda instead.

@CM30 So far from what I've noticed, most of those 3D re-releases haven't gone so well. Who wants to pay £10 a person to watch the same exact film but with a 3D overlay?

This thread beats all other threads
My Unfinishedloggery of Games | Google+

3DS Friend Code: 2793-0642-9960 | Nintendo Network ID: Chris720 | Twitter: Jirachi720

AuthorMessage
Avatar

tchaten

24. Posted:

I LOVE Zelda remakes - my first experience with a 3D Zelda was Ocarina of Time for the 3DS and it was a magical experience. Many new gamers don't have N64s to play those great games. I'm playing Majora's Mask on my N64 now because of that great time I had on my 3DS.

It also keeps those old games alive and well on current hardware, which is another win. I've never played Wind Waker and am excited to play that for the first time on my Wii U. I own a GameCube, but will wait it out for the glorious HD rendition of the game.

In the case of Wind Waker HD it helped the developers get a grasp of what HD development was like - so I also see it as a nice way to have developers learn the new toolset, while producing something most will get a lot of entertainment out of.

I also never played Donkey Kong Country Returns - the 3D release was so much fun. So I am all for these remakes as long as they are done right and don't distract the studios from producing new and original games.

Edited on by tchaten

tchaten

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AlexSays

25. Posted:

tchaten wrote:

In the case of Wind Waker HD it helped the developers get a grasp of what HD development was like - so I also see it as a nice way to have developers learn the new toolset, while producing something most will get a lot of entertainment out of..

Because developing games becomes very different at different resolutions?

AlexSays

AuthorMessage
Avatar

tchaten

26. Posted:

AlexSays wrote:

tchaten wrote:

In the case of Wind Waker HD it helped the developers get a grasp of what HD development was like - so I also see it as a nice way to have developers learn the new toolset, while producing something most will get a lot of entertainment out of..

Because developing games becomes very different at different resolutions?

In the case of going from SD to HD - yes - Microsoft and Sony learned that lesson years ago - Nintendo is just now learning how different it is!

tchaten

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Xiao_Pai

27. Posted:

Last I checked, Nintendo doesn't actually do remakes. (not sure about Wind Waker yet, though...)

I love Erica (Strike Witches), Eureka (Eureka Seven), and Tenma (School Rumble), stay away from them. xD
Update: Also love Yukari and Mizore from Rosario + Vampire.
Another Update: Also Yuuki...from School Rumble...
Yet Another Update: Also Amber and Xiao Pai from Rune Factory 4.

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Beta

28. Posted:

To me, it's not a bad thing at all, there are a lot of awesome games I missed out and in no way can I have access to them but now I can with remakes. And besides, usually they get a smaller team to work on those remakes, so in no way do they hinder development or creativity of other new games.

Edited on by Beta

Beta

Nintendo Network ID: beta4attack

AuthorMessage
Avatar

AlexSays

29. Posted:

Beta wrote:

besides, usually they get a smaller team to work on those remakes, so in no way do they hinder development or creativity of other new games.

What would those people be doing if not making remakes?

AlexSays

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Jaz007

30. Posted:

Erica_Hartmann wrote:

Last I checked, Nintendo doesn't actually do remakes. (not sure about Wind Waker yet, though...)

They constantly roboot their IPs and Wind Waker is HD redo with a few extra features. They do remakes by both ends not defintiron in gaming.

Edited on by Jaz007

Currently playing: Samurai Warriors 4, Dust: An Elysian Trail, and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, and Super Smash Bros. (Wii U).

AuthorMessage
Avatar

TysonOfTime

31. Posted:

AlexSays wrote:

Beta wrote:

besides, usually they get a smaller team to work on those remakes, so in no way do they hinder development or creativity of other new games.

What would those people be doing if not making remakes?

You care what Grezzo and Monster Games do when not making these? :P
Wind Waker HD, on the other hand, seems to be done by an internal studio, so if there's going to be any argument, it's there.

You don't die until you're dead!

3DS Friend Code: 4854-6436-0663 | Nintendo Network ID: TysonOfTime

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Suicune

32. Posted:

Chris720 wrote:

@CM30 So far from what I've noticed, most of those 3D re-releases haven't gone so well. Who wants to pay £10 a person to watch the same exact film but with a 3D overlay?

Jurassic Park 3D and Star Wars: Episode I both made like 40 million. Thats pretty good considering it's not even a new movie.

3DS name: Arminillo
3DS FC: 1118-0310-8459

"The Rich Boy wakes Up, But is Handsome."
-DeviousSnorlax

Nintendo Network ID: Arminillo

AuthorMessage
Avatar

NJYankeesFan

33. Posted:

Depends on how it's done. Games like Super Mario 64 DS and Metroid Zero Mission added a lot of new stuff from the original. SM64DS obviously had 30 more stars, better graphics, 3 extra playable characters, minigames and multiplayer. MZM was a complete makeover from the NES classic, had more items seen in Super Metroid and Fusion, more bosses and an extension to the adventure after beating Mother Brain. I wasn't really blown away by games like OoT 3D or Star Fox 64 3D because they didn't really add a whole lot from the original games

NJYankeesFan

Twitter: B_Mauk

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GottzGaming

34. Posted:

A remake could actually be decent... If, its done right! Now that Wind Waker is out I honestly am thinking twice about it. I mean its a remake done right! The only complaint I have is that to me. Wink waker didn't even need a remake I think the graphics looked gorgeous without HD.

GottzGaming

AuthorMessage
Avatar

iReclaimer

35. Posted:

I've always been kind of on the fence about this topic.
One one side, there are me games that deserve to be remade - true gems that really deserve another chance to shine on more powerful hardware with reimagined aesthetics, and in most cases, they come out beautifully.

But on the other hand I feel like its just being lazy; clinging onto the security of past victories instead being creative and taking chances. I'm not saying every other game has to be a new IP - sequels are a thing.

Basically, I don't think remakes should be ruled out completely, just shoveled out less frequently.
Nostalgia is a powerful thing - perhaps too powerful. And companies are taking advantage of that.

iReclaimer

AuthorMessage
Avatar

GuSolarFlare

36. Posted:

one remake every 2-3 years is fine I only would find bad if it was too frequent. :D

I was once a fighter in spirit alone, but not long ago I found something that was missing and became a fighter in body and mind too.
looking forward to Codename S.T.E.A.M.
salty tears tenderize true beef
my Backloggery
my Banner made by Dark-Luigi!
My Galaxy Bio also by Dark-Luigi!

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Williaint

37. Posted:

iReclaimer wrote:

I've always been kind of on the fence about this topic.
One one side, there are me games that deserve to be remade - true gems that really deserve another chance to shine on more powerful hardware with reimagined aesthetics, and in most cases, they come out beautifully.

But on the other hand I feel like its just being lazy; clinging onto the security of past victories instead being creative and taking chances. I'm not saying every other game has to be a new IP - sequels are a thing.

Basically, I don't think remakes should be ruled out completely, just shoveled out less frequently.
Nostalgia is a powerful thing - perhaps too powerful. And companies are taking advantage of that.

Nostalgia IS a powerful tool; About as good as sex or violence. WindWaker HD was a good example of a well done remake (people who didn't play it on GCN, get to play an updated version). The Super Mario Advance Series actually ruined those games. I didn't really like SM64DS, and I wasn't really fond of Yoshi's island DS (Although proclaimed a sequel, it just seemed like a retread; Yoshi's Story was also a sequel... and apparently Yoshi's New Island is a sequel, as well... how many sequels can Yoshi's Island have?).
Um... anyway... Yeah, remakes can be fine, but it's not a good idea to remake a game done in the last generation (even just to make it portable). And, as mentioned, It's not just Nintendo doing this..... picking on them is a bit biased...

P.S. I'm just doing a remake of the last few posts.

Edited on by Williaint

Williaint

3DS Friend Code: 1160-9725-5097 | Nintendo Network ID: kingredcastle

AuthorMessage
Avatar

smo1998

38. Posted:

IT continues legacies. IF someone hasnt played it yet, then they see it and realize its a good game. It provides a larger population of players.

smo1998

AuthorMessage
Avatar

Doge

39. Posted:

smo1998 wrote:

IT continues legacies. IF someone hasnt played it yet, then they see it and realize its a good game. It provides a larger population of players.

Waht he said. And considering Link between worlds got a perfect 10/10 on Gameinformer.. ANd i love the game myself. I think nintendos doing a good job
GG Nintendo.

I'm Shrek, and that's Dreck, i will never be Dreck because that's not Shrek. There's no one i'd rather be, than SHREK

3DS Friend Code: 3394-3778-3936 | Nintendo Network ID: Gansano

AuthorMessage
Avatar

darthmawl

40. Posted:

MrWalkieTalkie wrote:

While sometimes a remake of a game may seem like a lazy way of supplying a "new" game of a franchise rather than an entirely new adventure, I see it as a chance to reintroduce an old title to a younger audience and create a new generation of fans. We can better share experiences of great games of the past to those who weren't around at the time and might not have interest in playing an old game with dated graphics. Also, I like to see it as a sort of "redemption" for a game. With technology more advanced in today's modern world, games from the past who's looks were held back by the tech back then can now better express their world and appearance and look as they originally intended! Not to mention, fixing bugs in games with patches and updates is now possible with today's tech! :)

Right on! Im new to nintendo and im glad i have been able to play Ocarina of time and Wind Waker on my systems i want MM nowwww

Currently playing : ZombiU on Wii U / Soul Sacrifice on Vita / Mario Golf World Tour on 3DS