Forums

Topic: Nintendo Needs Their Own First Person Shooter ....

Posts 101 to 114 of 114

CanisWolfred

skywake wrote:

CanisWolfred wrote:

Because it's not a genre description. That'd be like calling Super Metroid a shmup because you can shoot enemies. It ignores every other basic aspect of the genre.

The difference is the shmup genre came from a particular kind of game which Super Metroid isn't. It takes more cues from Zelda and Castlevania than it does Contra or Space Invaders. However Metroid Prime is well within and borrows a lot of elements from the FPS genre. And if the argument is that it's "not an FPS" because you don't clear rooms by shooting enemies, then why are survival horror games frequently called FPS?

I don't agree that Survival Horror games should be labelled as FPS games either. People are stupid and use words without thinking, often going towards words they think people will understand despite not understanding it themselves to the point that they'd realize they're simply misleading people.

@Jmaster - That's where sub-genres and multi-genre labels come in. "Action-Adventure/Platformer", "First-Person Survival Horror", "Puzzle-Platformer", "Party Racer" are all a helluva lot more descriptive, and if people are going to utilize genre labelling, whose only purpose is to act as a cheat-sheet for describing gameplay mechanics, they should learn to utilize more descriptive terms.

Edited on by CanisWolfred

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

crimsoncavalier

Personally, I'd love to have another entry in the Metroid Prime series. It doesn't have to actually follow the Prime storyline, but I'd love another first-person Metroid (whatever we're calling it, FPS, FPSA, Action/Shooter) game.

From a broader perspective, I don't see why people don't want some sort of FPS presence on the Wii U. Wii had quite a few, and they were actually very good. Well, some were very good, others were ok, and some were bad, but that comes with the territory. Personally, I really liked Red Steel 1.

I'm not a big FPS fan myself, actually. I stay away from them, because they are overdone and overrepresented and to be honest, really cliche and uninteresting. But if one comes out that has some neat gameplay mechanics or a really good story, or is just really well made, I'd get it. I'm not big into Fighting/Action games, but I got Bayonetta 1 & 2 because they're really well-made games, and I love them. The same could apply to those of us who don't really care that much for the FPS genre, but wouldn't be opposed to getting a well-made FPS, if one were to come out.

Frankly, I think the Wii U needs as much variety as possible.

Edited on by crimsoncavalier

crimsoncavalier

Nintendo Network ID: CrimsonCavalier

Ralek85

OneBagTravel wrote:

Over saturated market. What would they bring to the table? It's like Blizzard making their own TF2/Destiny clone. Too little too late.

Still, Overwatch is going to make a load of cash for them, just as Destiny did, and will continue to do. Creatively speaking the market might be over-saturated, commercialy speaking, I'm not so sure.

Switch: 3355-6459-9982 | 3DS: 2809-7989-1816 | NNID: Ralek85

SkywardLink98

Bolt_Strike wrote:

SkywardLink98 wrote:

Zexaal wrote:

SkywardLink98 wrote:

I enjoy FPSes as much as the next teenage male (so, a lot) but I don't think Nintendo would make a very good one.

Metroid Prime says hi.

The Metroid Prime games were incredible, but if they're First Person Shooters then so is Minecraft.

They're first person, and you shoot stuff. How are they not FPS?

So you would agree that Minecraft is an FPS?

My SD Card with the game on it is just as physical as your cartridge with the game on it.
I love Nintendo, that's why I criticize them so harshly.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3424-5332

Whydoievenbother

Splatoon says hi (technically it's a TPS but there's not much of a difference)

Edited on by Whydoievenbother

"I'll take a potato chip... AND EAT IT!"
Light Yagami, Death Note
"Ah, the Breakfast Club soundtrack! I can't wait 'til I'm old enough to feel ways about stuff!"
Phillip J. Fry, Futurama

skywake

CanisWolfred wrote:

I don't agree that Survival Horror games should be labelled as FPS games either. People are stupid and use words without thinking, often going towards words they think people will understand despite not understanding it themselves to the point that they'd realize they're simply misleading people.

The definition of words change over time as people use them. Genres are even worse than that, genres often don't even mean what the definition says. I mean take music for example, "Noise Pop" something which sounds very specific can mean anything from The Jesus and Mary Chain and My Bloody Valentine to Deerhoof and Asobi Seksu but not Sonic Youth. When you listen to them that doesn't even make any sense and that's before you even consider getting into what "Pop", "Alternative" or "Indie" actually mean.

At least with games the genres are usually more tied into what are pretty obvious game mechanics. But saying a game where it's in the first person perspective and you're shooting isn't an "FPS"? Well we better throw that simplicity out the door. Why not make it really easy for ourselves here. Instead of arguing about whether or not Metroid is an FPS lets at least recognise that it does share a lot of game mechanics with that genre. So instead the argument should be about whether it's an "Adventure" i.e. Exploration game with FPS elements or an FPS with Adventure elements. Things can be more than one genre.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

JoyBoy

I think if you're going to look too much into genres, you'll be missing out sooner or later. I never found genres in games or music any helpfull tbh.
In the end, you like something or you don't, not because it's a type of genre. Just keep your mind open for new things and you'll do just fine.

SW-7849-9887-2074

3DS Friend Code: 3754-7789-7523 | Nintendo Network ID: Longforgotten

CanisWolfred

Spanjard wrote:

I think if you're going to look too much into genres, you'll be missing out sooner or later. I never found genres in games or music any helpfull tbh.
In the end, you like something or you don't, not because it's a type of genre. Just keep your mind open for new things and you'll do just fine.

I find it helpful when people actually label crap right, but that doesn't always happen...sigh I give up. Carry on misleading the masses. It's not everyone else isn't doing it...

I am the Wolf...Red
Backloggery | DeviantArt
Wolfrun?

Bolt_Strike

SkywardLink98 wrote:

Bolt_Strike wrote:

SkywardLink98 wrote:

Zexaal wrote:

SkywardLink98 wrote:

I enjoy FPSes as much as the next teenage male (so, a lot) but I don't think Nintendo would make a very good one.

Metroid Prime says hi.

The Metroid Prime games were incredible, but if they're First Person Shooters then so is Minecraft.

They're first person, and you shoot stuff. How are they not FPS?

So you would agree that Minecraft is an FPS?

The core gameplay of Metroid Prime involves shooting. Minecraft doesn't.

Bolt_Strike

Switch Friend Code: SW-5621-4055-5722 | 3DS Friend Code: 4725-8075-8961 | Nintendo Network ID: Bolt_Strike

TeeJay

I don't enjoy FPS games ( I like to actually see my character and not just their arms or hands) so even if Ninty DID have a proper FPS IP I wouldn't buy it.

If you add me, I need to at least know you or I won't add you back.

Switch Friend Code: SW-5283-4033-0929 | 3DS Friend Code: 2423-1923-3519 | Nintendo Network ID: TeeJay92

skywake

Spanjard wrote:

Always worth actually experiencing something before you come to a conclusion about whether it's good or not. Things like genres and metacritic ratings are just shortcuts in the same way that a 20sec preview or game trailer is.

Bolt_Strike wrote:

The core gameplay of Metroid Prime involves shooting. Minecraft doesn't.

Also in Minecraft you don't start with a weapon and you can theoretically play the whole game without ever shooting anything. Metroid Prime you start with what is effectively a gun and you're shooting at locks/doors within the first few seconds.I mean, put a different label on the box of Metroid Prime 3 and you could almost call it Halo 4.

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

kkslider5552000

No. It's more reasonable to call Prime 3 an FPS because it is way more FPS-like than the first 2 games, but it is still very different from most FPS.

What I'm saying is that most FPS are just about shooting essentially and if there is exploring it doesn't usually go beyond what Doom did 20 years ago. There is just a significant puzzle-like element (among other things) that other FPS don't do. So even if you do classify them as FPS, they are still so far away from other games in the genre that it's crazy. If you told people about the game as an FPS but didn't say the name, it would sound ridiculous. But it works because it was built to be a Metroid game, not built as an FPS, or at least not as anyone else has built an FPS.

Edited on by kkslider5552000

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.