Forums

Topic: Nintendo Needs A Come-Back -- Not Just Smash Bros. But Something Big.

Posts 101 to 120 of 124

skywake

SCAR392 wrote:

Ya, but does everyone seriously think PS4 can sell 1/2 of a million units every month for another 8-10 years?

Global or just the US? Because globally they can fairly easily do that and some upto around the time when the next generation hits. Which I doubt will be 8-10 years from now regardless of what the marketing departments of Sony and MS say. In just the US? I'd say that the entire "core" gamer market could push a fair margin above those sort of numbers for this whole console generation. The question is whether or not that market is shared more evenly between PS4/XBOne or if another player comes in. Even 6 years, pushing us out to 2020... that's a LONG time in tech. Even longer when you're talking about a part of market that's both a technology arms race AND a platform to distribute art and entertainment.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

SkywardLink98

WaLzgi wrote:

PS4 has good marketing and a lot of promises attached to it. What else do you need to know?

Will the promises be fulfilled? I have trust issues after buying Cube World, Starbound, and a few other early access games.

My SD Card with the game on it is just as physical as your cartridge with the game on it.
I love Nintendo, that's why I criticize them so harshly.

3DS Friend Code: 4296-3424-5332

CaviarMeths

SkywardLink98 wrote:

WaLzgi wrote:

PS4 has good marketing and a lot of promises attached to it. What else do you need to know?

Will the promises be fulfilled? I have trust issues after buying Cube World, Starbound, and a few other early access games.

...1 Early Access game should be enough to tell you that it's a scam.

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

dumedum

SCAR392 wrote:

@SpookyMeths
The mystery is why so many people are buying PS4s. Sony says it themselves, and that's all there is to it.

It's not that many people. It's not selling like the Wii did or anything. It flopped in Japan too. It's just selling better than Xbox One and Wii U, but that's just more fanboys.

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

SCRAPPER392

dumedum wrote:

SCAR392 wrote:

@SpookyMeths
The mystery is why so many people are buying PS4s. Sony says it themselves, and that's all there is to it.

It's not that many people. It's not selling like the Wii did or anything. It flopped in Japan too. It's just selling better than Xbox One and Wii U, but that's just more fanboys.

It's still alot of people for what games it has right now, including the library it shares with Xbox One. It currently has a trend that many figure that it would have later in the generation, even by a matter of 1-2 more years, because then it would have more games to buy, but people bought it before that, Consoles don't usually sell this well so early into the generation, excluding Wii and PS2, because more games come out later and more people are willing to buy one, which usually comes along with a price drop. People are buying it before any of that has happened. Even at the current rate, it still won't sell as much as PS3 and Xbox 360, but that is because those console gathered massive sale numbers later in the lifespan, which PS4 has already basically gotten itself into.

PS2 and Wii sold well for entirely different reasons than PS4 has, so the trend of what sells well isn't really clear, which is probably why Sony thinks non-gamers are buying it, because that's why PS2 and Wii did so well.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

Blast

WaLzgi wrote:

The PS4 has also become so mainstream now. Sony's marketing and advertising and INCREDIBLY loyal userbase has worked wonders.

I own a Wii U and 3DS. I also own a PS4!

Master of the Hype Train

3DS Friend Code: 2921-9690-6053 | Nintendo Network ID: Mediking9

DefHalan

Blast wrote:

WaLzgi wrote:

The PS4 has also become so mainstream now. Sony's marketing and advertising and INCREDIBLY loyal userbase has worked wonders.

Also the big pushes Sony made during the last years for PS3 made many people forget the early years happened and think Sony will provide just as good of support for PS4 throughout its entire lifespan... we will see what happens. I am still not sold on either PS4 or Xbox One. Thinking of buying some newer computer parts instead. maybe a new computer case too, mine is getting kinda small.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

dumedum

If I'll buy another console, Xbox One is looking to me much more attractive than a PS4. It will be cheaper with the 50$ discount, and it will have Sunset Overdrive, Halo and Scalebound. Still not sure it's worth it where the only non Wii U game that really interests me is the next Batman, which would have been so much nicer with the Game Pad anyway, but what can you do.

"Dubs Goes to Washington: The Video Game".

Nintendo Network ID: Del_Piero_Mamba

jump

dumedum wrote:

If I'll buy another console, Xbox One is looking to me much more attractive than a PS4. It will be cheaper with the 50$ discount, and it will have Sunset Overdrive, Halo and Scalebound. Still not sure it's worth it where the only non Wii U game that really interests me is the next Batman, which would have been so much nicer with the Game Pad anyway, but what can you do.

Yeah, the Xbone is getting some nice exclusives but as tempted as I am by Sunset Overdrive, Scalebound and the new "timed" Tomb Raider I point blank wont support Microsoft if I can. I know they back tracked on most of their controversial polices but if they get a strong enough foot hold I can see them trying it again in the future either with this console or their next.

Nicolai wrote:

Alright, I gotta stop getting into arguments with jump. Someone remind me next time.

Switch Friend Code: SW-8051-9575-2812 | 3DS Friend Code: 1762-3772-0251

argh4430

That something big Nintendo needs is either a new console, or a complete corporate shake-up. End of discussion. You can keep citing games till you're blue in the face, but it's not going to fix the situation Nintendo put themselves in in terms of consumer/partner confidence, or its lack thereof. Self-fulfilling prophecies are a fallacy, but also become quite strong if left alone for a prolonged period of time. Having much fewer third party support further illustrates this point. What company wants to make games on the Wii U that isn't bankrolled by Nintendo? Indies, because their costs are much lower than the traditional third-party company.

argh4430

3DS Friend Code: 3695-1354-4936 | Nintendo Network ID: Snyder78

CaviarMeths

argh4430 wrote:

That something big Nintendo needs is either a new console, or a complete corporate shake-up. End of discussion.

What exactly would a new console solve? Nintendo isn't going to make a x86 console with high end specs, Sony and Microsoft fans still aren't going to migrate to Nintendo, and core Nintendo fans still aren't going to buy EA, Activision, or Ubisoft games.

Edited on by CaviarMeths

So Anakin kneels before Monster Mash and pledges his loyalty to the graveyard smash.

RoomB31

Hmmm, Nintendo is doing decent with indies, I've seen some great quality indie titles on the eShop. The VC is extremely lacking, and they have great opportunities that they have yet to utilize, GC VC??? and just more VC games coming more frequently, Hey what about Saturn/3DO VC games?? why not right? The last thing is work with more 3rd parties, which I believe Miyamoto just said they were working on! Get 3rd part games that work for Wii U, unique experiences that developers are interested in working on, and finally Nintendo should think about expanding their own IP library to new and unique categories.

Mr. B
https://roomb31.etsy.com

ReBirFh

arronishere wrote:

dumedum wrote:

Yeah, the Xbone is getting some nice exclusives but as tempted as I am by Sunset Overdrive, Scalebound and the new "timed" Tomb Raider I point blank wont support Microsoft if I can. I know they back tracked on most of their controversial polices but if they get a strong enough foot hold I can see them trying it again in the future either with this console or their next.

The truth is that Sony was planning to do the same thing but backtracked after the Microsoft announcement. There were many patents from Sony about on disc DRM before the formal announcement of the console.

I've read somewhere that Activion or Ubisoft said it costs them only $1 million to port their games for Wii U. If it's so relatively inexpensive, why Nintendo isn't funding those ports?

Edited on by ReBirFh

ReBirFh

kkslider5552000

argh4430 wrote:

End of discussion.

translation: I am not smart enough to back up my points against anyone halfway knowledgeable.

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

Cia

Nintendo is making profit at the moment, and we're getting AAA exclusives pretty much every month. I'm not sure why they'd need to change anything, since the situation is good already.

Edited on by Cia

Cia

ReBirFh

Cia wrote:

Nintendo is making profit at the moment, and we're getting AAA exclusives pretty much every month. I'm not sure why they'd need to change anything, since the situation is good already.

Worst case scenario, I think a lot of people wouldn't mind getting some HD remakes like Wind Waker between the main games.

ReBirFh

Peach64

Cia wrote:

Untitled

Peach64

skywake

Well what do you guys really want them to do? Abandon the Wii U entirely? Burn its current userbase of millions? Release a new console before their current one has gotten to the point where it has actually made a return? Go into losses again with a new platform at a time when Sony is already gaining all of the momentum? The key to being a "third-party box" is to get in early and be the platform that "all your friends have". Jumping in with a new platform a year from now would be suicide.

Instead Nintendo should play to their strengths. They're cheaper, they're one of the best game developers on the planet and they have the most valuable IP outside of Disney. So when people say that instead they should just ride the Wii U train to the end and keep pumping out software? Well yeah, why wouldn't they? That plays to all of their strengths and it's very low risk given they've already made that decision. Does anyone have any reason at all why it's not a good idea? I doubt they'll be under 30mill lifetime sales and either way we'll be getting great content. So why act like the sky is falling?

Edited on by skywake

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

JoeyTS

Voice chat with random people before, ***DURING,*** and after games, nuff said. I mean there has to be some use with the Wii U headset besides COD...

UPDATE: Bowser just ate some cake and it was yummy

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.