Forums

Topic: Nintendo Movement by Shokio, what do you think?

Posts 141 to 160 of 214

SCRAPPER392

I further understand why I have avoided this thread, thus far.
I really do think this guy likes Nintendo and wants them to improve, but they probably already either know what to do, or are unwilling to do certain actions that many are asking for, anyway. Achievements, for example, would more likely be a play coin type system as the 3DS has. I won't go into the other points, because they've all been discussed before, and is exactly why Nintendo probably already has an idea of what they should do, if at all.

skywake wrote:

an actual Wii inside of the Wii U that you boot into.

I just so happened to run into this tidbit from the thread... From what I understand, no one can really pinpoint which components are what makes Wii Mode run. I'm pretty sure that Wii Mode just runs off of whatever Wii U uses as components, as well. Technically, the Wii U can even run GCN games without much trouble, because it derives from that sort of technology, anyway, which also lessens doubt that they will release GCN on VC, eventually.

Qwest

3DS Friend Code: 4253-3737-8064 | Nintendo Network ID: Children

skywake

@SCAR
Well the architectural stuff is a large part of it but they went further than that. On the original Wii they physically supported the GameCube by having Memory Card slots and Controller ports as well as having it architecturally similar. The Wii U supports the Wii in the same way by having Bluetooth, USB, an SD Card slot, architectural compatibility AND 512MB of flash physically soldered on the board. Flash that's not used for anything other than Wii Mode.

So yeah, there's an actual Wii inside of the Wii U.

Some playlists: Top All Time Songs, Top Last Year
"Don't stir the pot" is a nice way of saying "they're too dumb to reason with"

SCRAPPER392

@skywake
There were still enhancements that made Wii better than GCN, though. They didn't put a Wii inside of the Wii U as Sony put a PS2 into the PS3, except for the flash memory. I thought the Wii U might have just partitioned 512mb from the 8/32GB flash memory, TBH, <--EDIT but perhaps that took processing power.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

skywake

SCAR392 wrote:

I thought the Wii U might have just partitioned 512mb from the 8/32GB flash memory

Well you'd be wrong because it physically has a 512MB flash chip separate from the rest of the memory. To repeat, there's one flash chip that's either 8GB or 32GB depending on your model on one side of the PCB and then another entirely different chip that's 512MB on the other side of the PCB.

Again, they did the same on the Wii. You couldn't use the Wii's flash to save GameCube games and you couldn't use the Classic Controllers to play them. Because in "Gamecube mode" you booted into what was basically a Gamecube inside of the Wii. Same thing here with the Wii U. Doing it that way, physically making the thing have the same components makes the backwards compatibility more-or-less 100%.

And yeah, Sony probably did do that with early PS3s. I didn't say they didn't or that Nintendo is doing something unique here. They also did it with the GBA and GBC support as well as DS and GBA support as well as 3DS and DS support.

Edited on by skywake

SCRAPPER392

@skywake
Ya, I think I get it. Sometimes I just think one thing, that I'm fairly certain is true, but I don't want to say it. I had heard there was a separate 512mb chip, but I had thought there was a partition, prior. I was mainly talking about the CPU and GPU in the Wii being somewhere in the Wii U, but not in its original form, while still contributing to what makes the Wii U, as well.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

skywake

@SCAR
It's the same architecture so they don't need to. The separation of storage is mostly there as a security thing I would guess.

SCRAPPER392

@skywake
Well, if there was a partition, the Wii U would probably be constantly running that partition of data through the Wii U OS. It would have to recognize that that is Wii data, even if you weren't in Wii Mode. Once you go to the Wii Menu, THAT is when it accesses that data, but never else. That's what I think.

Just today, I was in Wii Menu, going to Wii U menu, and it said my Wii system files were corrupted, and I didn't even do anything wrong, so somewhere along the line, the Wii Menu wouldn't allow me to back to Wii U menu.

EDIT: This is the first and only time it has happened, BTW.

Edited on by SCRAPPER392

Qwest

bubble_bear

DefHalan wrote:

Just wanted to let people know this is the "movement's" goals

This will be the official topic for all plans regarding the “attack”. Just list your suggestions below, and I will list the most common ones and everyone can decide on whether or not it’s cool. Also, we’ll make a list of things that really shouldn’t be asked for (Such as region locking, Nintendo has already commented on that and are COMPLETELY against it.)

NOTE: DO NOT go off spamming Twitter, FB, or Miiverse by yourself. To be effective, we have to plan set times and do it together. If you go off by yourself, Nintendo will just see you as another annoying spammer.

So far, we have:
1) Folders
2) Cross-game Chat
3) Cross-buy VC games. If I have a game on my Wii U, I shouldn’t have to re-buy it for 3DS.
4) eShop gifting, like the Wii could do.
5) 3DS Messaging system
6) Join Game feature, like on 3DS. Or invites.
7) On-screen notifications
8) Media playback via SD Card
9) Things to hold us over during droughts, such as the Re-U-Magined concept. Inide games are great but everyone’s not into them and a lot of those lack true longevity.
10) Faster developed games, as AONUMA said himself. You can’t have huge gaps when you lack the 3rd party support.
11) New Pro controllers with audio jacks (and analogue triggers)
12) Let us navigate the WHOLE system with just the Pro controller and WiiRemote. You cannot access settings unless you have the gamepad.
13) Too much focus on the younger audience, pay attention to your old-school fans who are much older now.
14) GamePad off function. If we’re not using it, and shouldn’t have to be on wasting battery life.
15) A push for online on console games. NSMB, Nintendo Land, 3D World, all HUGE missed opportunities that could’ve provided longevity.
16) Voice chat for these games. It’s 2014, and Nintendo can no longer afford to try to keep the kiddos safe.

Things that aren’t priorities or fixes, but we would love to have.
1) Achievement system
2) Menu customization (colors at least)
3) The ability to play Classic Controller compatible Wii games on the Wii U GamePad.
4) Let us upload gameplay clips to Miiverse
5) Custom Miiverse communities, as promised back in the January 2013 Direct.
6) GameCube games on VC.

Things we will NOT ask for
1) Ending region locking. It’s not happening, they said so themselves, and I don’t think it’s something that can be patched anyway.
2) A new Metroid. A new Metroid game is undoubtedly coming to Wii U.
3) Streaming capabilities. It’d be nice, but not at all necessary and the system may not have been built for that feature.
4) 3rd party games. These are things that are up to 3rd parties, not Nintendo.
5) Unified account system. Nintendo was aware of this problem before the Wii U even launched and have already stated that they will work on it.

If there’s anything you want to take off, add, or alter on any of these lists, let me know.

EDIT: Formatted, should be easier to read now

An aggressive movement to bring Folders to the Wii U? haha

bubble_bear

NinChocolate

^ that list is worthless to Nintendo. If there's a more than worthless it's more accurately that.

NinChocolate

TwilightV

Of that list, numbers 3, 9, 10, 13 and 16 are nothing more than whiny self-entitled BS. 7 is a terrible idea unless made optional. 5 was Swapnote and it's over. They should get over it and move on.

On the non-mandatory stuff, 1 is already optional for every game. There is NO need to force it on every single game. Some people weren't as specific on 3 as it is here, so I took it to mean they wanted to use the Gamepad for every Wii game, which if you know games for Wii seems like a very stupid idea.

And finally on the list of things they're not asking for, 5 falls into the same category as 3 in their main list, so they're contradicting themselves. Also, i've noticed some people asking for 2 and 4.

...Oh, and way to call the movement an "attack". Real professional of them. /sarcasm

TwilightV

Jazzer94

I'm not understanding all this hate at having crossbuy which at this point is standard practice for digital purchases by several companies not just Sony.

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

skywake

Jazzer94 wrote:

I'm not understanding all this hate at having crossbuy which at this point is standard practice for digital purchases by several companies not just Sony.

Which is more than enough reason to expect Nintendo to move in that direction without the need for a campaign. People complain about that but are also forgetting that Nintendo are the only dudes allowing near full backwards compatibility. They also now have a whole range of deals/sales going on constantly on the eShop. They're progressing.

What actually irks me about this "movement" is that for the most part it's an attempt to clog MiiVerse with requests to make more games and introduce mundane system features. Frankly if it was just a cross-buy campaign then I'd be cool with it. As it is? It's really just a lot of hot air.

DefHalan

Jazzer94 wrote:

Because A) it is not standard practice fore most companies. B) Nintendo is struggling in the market, so people are demanding more free content C) Unlike iPad/iPhone tge Wii U and 3DS are completely different machines meaning Nintendo has to put resources into making two different VC games.

I am not against the idea of cross-buy, I am against the idea that people are entitled to cross-buy. I could see Nintendo offering a discount on 1 platform if you bought it full price on another (so upgrading a Wii VC to a Wii U VC game wouldn't give you the cheaper 3DS option.

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

Jazzer94

@skywake I'm not even referring to the movement anymore as I've said multiple times that I don't support it go on my Miiverse page for proof, what I don't understand is that some people seem to feel that crossbuy is a ridiculous notion when it really isn't.

My YouTube
The Jazzloggery

bubble_bear

@skywake

yes! haha

Since revolution is in the air, I say we hunger strike until they bring Nintendogs to the Wii U. You hear me Iwata? I won't eat until I'm petting a virtual dog on my game pad!

bubble_bear

shingi_70

DefHalan wrote:

Jazzer94 wrote:

Because A) it is not standard practice fore most companies. B) Nintendo is struggling in the market, so people are demanding more free content C) Unlike iPad/iPhone tge Wii U and 3DS are completely different machines meaning Nintendo has to put resources into making two different VC games.

I am not against the idea of cross-buy, I am against the idea that people are entitled to cross-buy. I could see Nintendo offering a discount on 1 platform if you bought it full price on another (so upgrading a Wii VC to a Wii U VC game wouldn't give you the cheaper 3DS option.

Doesn't that show how much Nintendo has gotten wrong in a era of technology where cross compatbility is free. People talk up how awesome the Wii U's BC was but it seems, people want more cross buy or compatbility with their current slate of devices.

WAT!

Hey check out my awesome new youtube channel shingi70 where I update weekly on the latest gaming and comic news form a level headed perspective.

3DS Friend Code: 3093-7342-3454 | Nintendo Network ID: shingi70

Jazzer94

DefHalan wrote:

Because A) it is not standard practice fore most companies.

It is standard practice for most companies with digital stores why don't you do some research on this and you'll see.

B) Nintendo is struggling in the market, so people are demanding more free content

Its not free content as consumers are still paying for VC games just not multiple times.

C) Unlike iPad/iPhone tge Wii U and 3DS are completely different machines meaning Nintendo has to put resources into making two different VC games.

Oh please It does not take much effort to put roms on the e-shop its getting them rated that takes time.

Edited on by Jazzer94

My YouTube
The Jazzloggery

DefHalan

Jazzer94 wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

Because A) it is not standard practice fore most companies.

It is standard practice for most companies with digital stores why don't you do some research on this and you'll see.

Lets see, Sony and Google. iPhone/iPad is more like 3DS and 3DS XL then two separate platforms like Wii U and 3DS. Steam supports different Operating Systems but all those machines are computers. Steam and Apple are better reflections on why digital products should be tied to an Account. They don't really showcase purchasing 1 product for multiple platforms as well.

Jazzer94 wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

B) Nintendo is struggling in the market, so people are demanding more free content

Its not free content as consumers are still paying for VC games just not multiple times.

You are paying for 1 product, nothing gives you the right to be able to use that product on multiple machines. If Nintendo wants to do cross-buy stuff later then that is great but they don't owe you anything

Jazzer94 wrote:

DefHalan wrote:

C) Unlike iPad/iPhone tge Wii U and 3DS are completely different machines meaning Nintendo has to put resources into making two different VC games.

Oh please It does not take much effort to put roms on the e-shop its getting them rated that takes time.

It takes effort to make sure VC games run smoothly on your device. Nintendo isnt just throwing up random ROMs or Emulators that may not run the game as well as the original, Nintendo goes through and tests all these products to make sure they are running smoothly

People keep saying the Xbox One doesn't have Backwards Compatibility.
I don't think they know what Backwards Compatibility means...

3DS Friend Code: 2621-2786-9784 | Nintendo Network ID: DefHalan

LzWinky

If you don't want to buy the games multiple times, then don't. Just don't expect Nintendo to cater to your demands

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.