Forums

Topic: Nintendo is kiddy, yet most of their franchises are very neutral

Posts 101 to 120 of 138

rolLTheDice

MAB wrote:

Nintendo are immature just like all the other gaming companies in the world

Untitled

What's more mature than being about to pop though?

rolLTheDice

Nintendo Network ID: LTD_2112

Geonjaha

MAB wrote:

Untitled

Not made by Nintendo, bro.

Geonjaha

3DS Friend Code: 2277-6645-7215

Ralek85

@Akazury I'm aware, but nothing definite and that worries me, it's not an issue whether they are capable of including it, but simply if they decide to do so. I do hope it materializes, I would vastly prefer a proper party system, like on X1/PS4 though .

Switch: 3355-6459-9982 | 3DS: 2809-7989-1816 | NNID: Ralek85

Akazury

Ralek85 wrote:

@Akazury I'm aware, but nothing definite and that worries me, it's not an issue whether they are capable of including it, but simply if they decide to do so. I do hope it materializes, I would vastly prefer a proper party system, like on X1/PS4 though .

I agree, but I think that this is a game they can 't leave it out and with it still ebing early and a 2015 release I kinda have high hopes.

Everything can change, but I'm never changing who I am

Nintendo Network ID: Akazury | Twitter:

Ralek85

Nintenjoe64 wrote:

@Ralek85 I meant they are like Disney purely in a way that many of their major releases are designed to be appreciated by children and adults in different ways so both sets can enjoy for different reasons. It's nothing to do with how their business is set up, just the way their best games/films turn out to be.

Yes, but the fact, that they are supposed to be appreciated by children at all, leads to certain design aspects, both gamewise and platform wise. A few of those I alluded to, this is not coincidental, but closely related.

Switch: 3355-6459-9982 | 3DS: 2809-7989-1816 | NNID: Ralek85

8BitSamurai

WaLzgi wrote:

8BitSamurai wrote:

The PS4 and Xbox One just simply provide more mature, more hardcore gaming experiences.

Yup. Microsoft truly knows hardcore. That's why they made the Kinect with this:

We all know that the Kinect automatically makes games more hardcore and more mature and more hardcore. Try again ell zee!

"rare download" Assistant

3DS Friend Code: 2320-6175-1689 | Nintendo Network ID: 8BitSamurai

RobbEJay

Action51 wrote:

Of course the idea of Nintendo being "kiddy" comes from two places:

1) An outdated notion that video games themselves are just for kids.

In the early days of gaming until recently, the accepted idea in the west has been that video games were a child's toy and a form of entertainment for kids and teenagers. Most likely this was due to older generations simply failing to understand or wanting to understand the appeal of video games.

They were seen as frivolous and abstract technology that required skill-sets they had gone their whole lives without developing or needing to develop. The image of arcades as hangouts for bored teenagers and amusements for kids didn't help much either.

2) Post 90s marketing and culture.

Gaming in the 80s and 90s was pretty straightforward. You could jump from a Mario game, to a Castlevania game, to Mortal Kombat, and then play a sports game with unlicensed generic teams and players with names like "T. Punk" without anyone even thinking twice about it. Much of the current attitude about what constitutes "kiddie" and "mature" gaming comes from marketing departments and internet memes.

The "console wars" of previous generations were largely played out in TV commercials and magazine advertisements, and identity associated with owning a console wasn't really a huge deal. However, this changed over time with each new console generation, and accelerated as new companies tossed their hats into the ring.

Now video games are a huge multi-billion dollar industry with giant name players like Microsoft Xbox, Apple Ios, and Sony Playstation brands. These more western minded corporations are naturally going to engage in western style marketing, and what better way to sell entertainment devices then to appeal to the insecurities of their most profitable target demographic: tween and teenage boys.

Sadly, thats very true. While the average gamer is in their 30s, the tween and teen demographic has the most disposable income, and they're not exactly known for being smart with it either. The Dead Space 2 commercial is a perfect example of these "mature" experiences being made "for adults" but marketed towards a much younger demographic. The companies know just as well as we do how "restricted" they really are (i.e not much). Needing an adult with you to buy 17+ games is the perfect loophole.

I think the controversy surrounding violent "mature" games has spurred that on quite a bit as well. Not only is the controversy itself make them more attractive to angsty adolescents, they inadvertently separated the games and their content into "mature/adult" and immature/kid" categories. While those who already find games immature no matter what won't care either way, its also much easier to find these "mature" experiences when the likes of Jack Thomson or Hiliary Clinton are telling you exactly what not to play.

RobbEJay

doctor_doak

Action51 wrote:

Of course the idea of Nintendo being "kiddy" comes from two places:
2) Post 90s marketing and culture.

I agree. The terms 'hardcore' and 'mature' are sort of meaningless really. It's just marketing speak. How many Call of Duty/Gears/Uncharted fans would struggle to beat a game like Pikmin 3?? You'd probably be surprised...

There are a handful of multi-platform AAA titles I do like. I'm playing through X:Com: Enemy Within at the moment which isn't an easy game, but your average person who thinks himself a 'hardcore' gamer wouldn't actually play a game like that because it is a more cerebral experience than those other sorts of games are..

doctor_doak

R_Champ

Action51 wrote:

and what better way to sell entertainment devices then to appeal to the insecurities of their most profitable target demographic: tween and teenage boys.

And there you have it. I don't think I've heard a better statement in all my history of watching console wars in forums.

If all you need is a commuter vehicle to get to work, do you buy a 4-cylinder sedan? Or a V10 SUV? You'd be surprised how many people would choose the latter.

Nintendo & Steam ID: R_Champ

8BitSamurai

Legitimate question this time: If teenage boys need "mature" games due to their insecurity, why do the "mature" Nintendo fans need to make numerous 100+ post threads reassuring that Nintendo games are not "kiddy"?

GuSolarFlare

8BitSamurai wrote:

Legitimate question this time: If teenage boys need "mature" games due to their insecurity, why do the "mature" Nintendo fans need to make numerous 100+ post threads reassuring that Nintendo games are not "kiddy"?

because no one likes to be looked down upon.

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

8BitSamurai

GuSolarFlare wrote:

8BitSamurai wrote:

By teenage boys?

LzWinky

Geonjaha wrote:

MAB wrote:

Untitled

Not made by Nintendo, bro.

But it is funded and published by Nintendo. Close enough

Current games: Everything on Switch

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

LzWinky

8BitSamurai wrote:

We all know that the Kinect automatically makes games more hardcore and more mature and more hardcore. Try again ell zee!

Is that why they centered on it at e3? Gotta appeal to those hardcorez

Switch Friend Code: SW-5075-7879-0008 | My Nintendo: LzWinky | Nintendo Network ID: LzWinky

GuSolarFlare

8BitSamurai wrote:

GuSolarFlare wrote:

8BitSamurai wrote:

By teenage boys?

maybe? I stopped caring a while ago. though I still don't like much the idea of being looked down by angsty teenagers

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

8BitSamurai

WaLzgi wrote:

8BitSamurai wrote:

Is that why they centered on it at e3? Gotta appeal to those hardcorez

They're gonna patch the game to make it hardcore and turn it into a Gear of War spin-off!

rayword45

Teenage boy chiming in. You really shouldn't care if teenage boys are putting you down. At all.

For us, video games as a while aren't necessarily a "cool" hobby, regardless of what you play. The cool hobbies are smoking weed, getting drunk, sucking at rapping and having underage sexual relations. The nerd hobby of choice is League of Legends and they don't disrespect Nintendo. Either you get looked down upon for playing video games as a whole, or nobody cares what you play. Anyone who says "Nintendo is Kiddy" as opposed to Xbox has probably no friends.

There's literally no need to prove to us that Nintendo is kiddy or not, you'll change zero minds and look insecure in the process.

This is a signature.
Link goes here now.
Screw you.

Azooooz

This is getting nowhere. If you don't mind @walzgi please do us a favor and lock this thread. It's becoming repetitive.

Edited on by Azooooz

Making promise is easy. The hard part is keeping it.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3533-1743-6611 | 3DS Friend Code: 5069-3944-7877 | My Nintendo: azooooz | Nintendo Network ID: desert_king_Q8

ogo79

WaLzgi wrote:

8BitSamurai wrote:

The PS4 and Xbox One just simply provide more mature, more hardcore gaming experiences.

Yup. Microsoft truly knows hardcore. That's why they made the Kinect with this:

man i was looking at this video, its so fake

the_shpydar wrote:
As @ogo79 said, the SNS-RZ-USA is a prime giveaway that it's not a legit retail cart.
And yes, he is (usually) always right, and he is (almost) the sexiest gamer out there (not counting me) ;)

LzWinky

When I clicked on the video again, it showed an ad for "hardcore gamez" on the Xbox One.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.