Forums

Topic: Nintendo balancing the gender bias

Posts 141 to 160 of 170

Mickey

@8BitSamurai Jesus Christ, not you too.

I'd respond to the rest of it, but... y'know what? I'll do it just for you.

Rin-go wrote:

But what if Link would have always been female and now people would want her to be a boy?

Well then we'd be living in a drastically different world. One where women were the norm, the represented, the ones in power. In that different world, you better believe I'd want there to be change. In fact, you would too! It'd hit much closer to home if it happened to you.

Too drastic? Maybe... Anyway:

I could imagine that many of those, who are rooting for female Link would say that there are enough male protagonists and that they should leave her as a heroine.

Yeah. You could. I mean... you'd be wrong, but you could imagine it.

The thing is this doesn't seem to be about progressing the franchise or anything like that, but about having a female Link, because it would be "huge", "trendsetting" and things like these.

... Okay, what about it being "trendsetting" makes it a bad thing? If that happened and it set a trend in the industry that it isn't suicide to have a female character as your main protagonist (I know games like Bayonetta exist. Game developers don't) since Zelda did it and it was fine... that would be awesome! I'd love to see less focus on the male demographic. Lord knows the games industry has been appealing to it for far too long.

Should from now on everything have a gender option, just because?

Because that's exactly why we want the option. Just because.

How about you tell me that after you read the last few pages of people talking about how much they'd be able to relate to the character they're supposed to be projecting themselves into if they were the same gender as them.

Formerly MickeyTheGreat and MickMick. Now I'm Mickey again!

The Mousekeloggery

Nintendo Network ID: MickeyTheGreat

Rin-go

@Mickey
Because I don't want a male character to be turned female for no apparent reason?
I'm all for gender equality, but we are talking about work of imagination here. I don't really care if every protagonist of everything possible would be male, as long as women and men are treated as equal in actual life. This is where change should happen.

@8BitSamurai
Thanks.

Rin-go

bubble_bear

GuSilverFlame wrote:

so I just had an amazing idea, why not let the pros mind their own business and do their games how they see fit?
if it's bad everyone can complain and stop buying until it's good again. you know, like in simpler times when gaming was all about killing time and having fun without giving much thought to smalll details

Here's another amazing idea - you don't have to read or post in forums that you're not interested in. Truly amazing.

bubble_bear

GuSolarFlare

gage_wolf wrote:

GuSilverFlame wrote:

so I just had an amazing idea, why not let the pros mind their own business and do their games how they see fit?
if it's bad everyone can complain and stop buying until it's good again. you know, like in simpler times when gaming was all about killing time and having fun without giving much thought to smalll details

Here's another amazing idea - you don't have to read or post in forums that you're not interested in. Truly amazing.

I was interested, until this became this pointless "let's attack everyone who disagrees with us" discussion from almost all sides...

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

kkslider5552000

GuSilverFlame wrote:

I was interested, until this became this pointless "let's attack everyone who disagrees with us" discussion from almost all sides...

Immediate QFT

Non-binary, demiguy, making LPs, still alive

Megaman Legends 2 Let's Play!:
LeT's PlAy MEGAMAN LEGENDS 2 < Link to LP

bubble_bear

GuSilverFlame wrote:

gage_wolf wrote:

GuSilverFlame wrote:

Who's being attacked?

Edited on by bubble_bear

bubble_bear

Rin-go

@gage_wolf
Yes! This is what I was waiting for!
The thing is I'm female.

And I don't see how it would progress the franchise. The only thing it's about is the perception of women, nothing else.

@Mickey
To me relating to a character has nothing to do with gender, ethnicity, religion or anything like that. I relate to a character based on personality, views, actions.

I think it's quite funny how you both thought I was male, probably based on my opinion. Do you plan to keep on throwing snarky remarks at me now?

Rin-go

BadKitty

Untitled

Meow~
BadKittysDomain!
[13:12] LordJumpMad stick his thong out at eme
[17:24] LordJumpMad: I will never male you happy >:[
[21:11] LordJumpMad: You insluted my words >:[
[16:32] turtlelink: gdi emmy. You'...

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7082-7558 | Twitter:

Jazzer94

Saw this happening a mile off oh well.
Untitled

PSN: mangaJman
SSBB FC: 1204-1132-2888
My YouTube
The Jazzloggery
Once you see you can never unsee

3DS Friend Code: 5155-3100-6367 | Nintendo Network ID: Justinius94

GuSolarFlare

Jazzer94 wrote:

Saw this happening a mile off oh well.
Untitled

this gif, is freaking awesome!!!!!!

goodbyes are a sad part of life but for every end there's a new beggining so one must never stop looking forward to the next dawn
now working at IBM as helpdesk analyst
my Backloggery

3DS Friend Code: 3995-7085-4333 | Nintendo Network ID: GustavoSF

Mickey

@Rin-go Huh. I didn't know that.

Please don't @mention me anymore, guys. I'm sure all of you are sick of me by now, and would be just as happy to see me out of here as I would (since I've already technically left). If you feel the need to respond to this post or past ones, do so without @mentioning me. Thank you.

Edited on by Mickey

Formerly MickeyTheGreat and MickMick. Now I'm Mickey again!

The Mousekeloggery

Nintendo Network ID: MickeyTheGreat

bubble_bear

Rin-go wrote:

@gage_wolf
Yes! This is what I was waiting for!
The thing is I'm female.

And I don't see how it would progress the franchise. The only thing it's about is the perception of women, nothing else.

@Mickey
To me relating to a character has nothing to do with gender, ethnicity, religion or anything like that. I relate to a character based on personality, views, actions.

I think it's quite funny how you both thought I was male, probably based on my opinion. Do you plan to keep on throwing snarky remarks at me now?

You were waiting for this? haha ok...

I feel like we've already tried to explain the progress. How would Link being a female hurt the series?

bubble_bear

Rin-go

@Mickey
You said that we should not mention you, but just this one thing. =P
Well, I did not say I was female. ^^ I was just curious if someone would call me out on my opinion thinking I was male. Quite funny, actually. Especially since I'm all for gender equality.

Rin-go

Rin-go

@gage_wolf
Well, not really, probably. ^^; It's just the conlusion of against it must mean that the person is male and that's why he doesn't understand what we are talking about.

I never said it would hurt the series, I personally just don't want it. It just seems wrong to me. Probably, because I already relate to Link and don't need him to be female to do so. I kind of feel I would relate less if he was female, I don't know. I haven't played such a game, so it may be difficult to tell. I could very well end up prefering a female Link, but as of now, I don't.

Rin-go

Aviator

I think where a lot of people are getting up in arms is the use of gender in story heavy games.

It's wrong to criticise a game for deciding to have a fe/male character in a game because of the story. There are obviously planned ideas the developers wanted to explore and use the characters gender to help explore those ideas. (Look at Lollipop Chainsaw).

However, when you get a game, like nearly all Zelda games, where the story makes little to no reference to male heroes (females can be heroes too), then the fight for women characters is justified.

Should Zelda U have a female character for the player. It depends. If it's like all other Zelda's before it, yes. If it is like it has been rumoured and something between Skyrim and Zelda then absolutely. If all the women in the land have been captured by Ganon and only the males can fight, then no, but that would cause a lot more problems.

QUEEN OF SASS

It's like, I just love a cowboy
You know
I'm just like, I just, I know, it's bad
But I'm just like
Can I just like, hang off the back of your horse
And can you go a little faster?!

bubble_bear

Rin-go wrote:

@gage_wolf
I never said it would hurt the series, I personally just don't want it. It just seems wrong to me.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

bubble_bear

Usagi-san

I have a real hard time understanding people who think that it is somehow okay to just up and change Link's gender. Link isn't actually an empty character that players project their personalities onto. A great deal of effort goes into his design, Link has every bit as much character as other Nintendo characters. You can't just shave off Mario's moustache and turn him into a woman so why is it any more justified with Link? It makes no sense at all.

"I never swear, my lord, I say yes or no; and, as I am a gentleman, I keep my word." - D'artagnan in Twenty Years After

mamp

Until I see a female option for a Zelda game I won't believe it

The cat's the only cat who knows where it's at.
NNID: Muffin-Gun

3DS Friend Code: 3136-6586-7657

CM30

What gender bias? For the most part, Nintendo's always been pretty good with regards to female characters in games, especially as heroes and other main characters in the 'stories'.

Their new games may have a decent amount of female protagonists, but it's not like their old games didn't either. After all, they've always had Metroid, Pokemon had female main characters since gen 2, the Donkey Kong series has characters like Dixie Kong, the Wario series has about half the villains and half the WarioWare cast...

I haven't noticed anything too different with their new games. Splatoon just has the same decent gender ratio any Nintendo series other than 'Mario platformer' and 'Zelda' does.

Edited on by CM30

Try out Gaming Reinvented, my new gaming forum and website!
Also, if you're a Wario series fan, check out Wario Forums today! Your only place for Wario series discussion!
My 3DS Friend Code: 4983-5165-4...

Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.